View Full Version : Motorcycling in Oklahoma

Pages : 1 [2]

White Peacock
11-06-2014, 01:09 PM
A black T100 Bonneville is probably my #1 lustworthy bike at the moment. I was jonesing for a new Indian Scout, but after riding cruisers around in the MSF class, I'm not a fan of the forward controls, so I may just scratch that one from my wish list. Beautiful looking machine though, that Scout.

Urbanized
11-06-2014, 06:02 PM
A black T100 Bonneville is probably my #1 lustworthy bike at the moment...

Here's mine (lots of mods since this photo):

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/transportation/9430d1415322292-motorcycling-oklahoma-image.jpg

White Peacock
11-06-2014, 07:06 PM
That's a damn fine machine. I've heard some complaints about the rear suspension being uncomfortably stiff. Any truth to that?

rezman
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I like it Urbanized.... Blued pipes and all. What year is it?.

bluedogok
11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
A black T100 Bonneville is probably my #1 lustworthy bike at the moment. I was jonesing for a new Indian Scout, but after riding cruisers around in the MSF class, I'm not a fan of the forward controls, so I may just scratch that one from my wish list. Beautiful looking machine though, that Scout.
I grew up riding on (what was then called) enduro bikes, never got used to forward controls. When I took the class to get the endorsement (after Texas forgot to transfer it from my OK license) I rode one of those little cruisers and was constantly putting my feet in the wrong spot. On the duck walk I would get cramps in my hips from the weird angles.

When it came time to replace my Sprint I was focused on the Tiger 1050 which is an even more enduro like position but ended up with the C14.

Urbanized
11-07-2014, 04:44 AM
That's a damn fine machine. I've heard some complaints about the rear suspension being uncomfortably stiff. Any truth to that?

It really hasn't bothered me, though many Bonneville owners upgrade to Ohlins or another shock. I think most of the complaints tend to come from guys who are used to sport bikes and the associated performance characteristics.

I like it Urbanized.... Blued pipes and all. What year is it?.
Thanks. It's a 2013. The headers have settled down to mostly a golden color. That photo was taken when the bike was still really new. I have 4K+ on it now, and that's with a commute of less than a mile and little time to ride in good weather months. About the same number of miles I've put on my car in the same period. Toss in another 1500 or so on my scooter and I do more than 50% of my time on two wheels.

White Peacock
11-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I grew up riding on (what was then called) enduro bikes, never got used to forward controls. When I took the class to get the endorsement (after Texas forgot to transfer it from my OK license) I rode one of those little cruisers and was constantly putting my feet in the wrong spot. On the duck walk I would get cramps in my hips from the weird angles.

You just described my MSF experience. The only bike I've ridden beforehand was my GN, which has standard riding position controls, and that's what I'd gotten myself used to. It feels unnatural for me to get the bike going, then throw my feet forward. Shifting was more difficult, and using the rear brake was more difficult.

On the flipside, I don't think I would like the sportbike riding position either. Feet beneath me feels much more natural and safer than the other positions.

White Peacock
11-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Went to DPS/tag agency and got my new license with my M endorsement, so I'm fully legal now. Of course this happens right before an arctic blast blows into town. Hopefully I can get some riding in this weekend at least.

rezman
11-07-2014, 07:19 PM
What's nice about Oklahoma is that you can usually ride 9 months out of the year. The cold snap will come next wek and then we'll have another few days to get out again. We're lucky. A lot of people up north already have their scooters put up for the winter. I plan to get out and scoot around this weekend as well.

As far as riding position goes, My street bikes have always been standards, sport tours, or cruisers. I've never owned a lay down crotch rocket. My current VTX has floorboards, which gives it a little bit of a standard feel , even though it has mid-forward controls.

bluedogok
11-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm going to try and get some miles on tomorrow before the cold hits us late Sunday, no mountains though since they have had some sporadic snow. I need to keep the batter charged up since I don't know where my Battery Tender is in the garage. It's on the trailer somewhere since my wife took care of moving it when I was sick. About the only thing that I would want to do to it is a Sargent seat and maybe some bar risers. Hopefully next spring I will have my strength back to handle the heavy beast.

rezman
11-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Got out for a couple hours around town today. Only 54 miles worth. Waited for the wind to die down a little bit & wound up being a nice little ride. Down to Bricktown & Robinson area then over by the airport, back north around Lake H, & back home.

Prunepicker
11-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Went cruising tonight and the cold front hit about 8:30pm. Wasn't ready for it.
Brrr.

rezman
11-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Went cruising tonight and the cold front hit about 8:30pm. Wasn't ready for it.
Brrr.

Hope you had the wind to your back :)

Prunepicker
11-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Hope you had the wind to your back :)
Only on the way out. LOL

Urbanized
11-13-2014, 05:36 AM
I've still been riding to work since the cold snap, but wishing I hadn't procrastinated on buying a Powerlet jacket liner and glove liners (http://www.powerlet.com/product/rapidfire-heated-jacket-liner/475). I had the power points installed on my bike this year but haven't yet sprung for the heated gear. Maybe Santa Claus will bring it...

bluedogok
11-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Mine came with heated grips, I do want to add a Sargent seat with the heaters.

I haven't been riding, three days of snow and temps from a low of -12 and a high of 6 yesterday, our average high for yesterday is 54.

White Peacock
11-24-2014, 06:58 PM
If anyone has a '14 or '15 Triumph, be aware of a pending recall.
2014-2015 Triumph Models Recalled for ECU Problem » Motorcycle.com News (http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/11/21/manufacturers/triumph/2014-2015-triumph-models-recalled-ecu-problem/)

White Peacock
12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
The new Ducati Scrambler is a sweet looking machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrUnMiAqyaQ

Urbanized
12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Agree.

Urbanized
07-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Has anyone been out lately? Too hot? Tough for me due to schedule. I ride my scooter pretty much every day, but the Bonneville is sadly quiet. I did go on a Mount Scott ride a couple of months ago with a group ride organized by Maxey's, who does Sunday Funday rides, all makes welcome. Here's a link: New & Used Motorcycles, Scooters, UTVs & ATVs for Sale Oklahoma City OK | Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Victory, Genuine & Hyosung Dealer, Service & Parts (http://www.maxeys.com/default.asp)

White Peacock
09-12-2015, 08:14 AM
I upgraded yesterday to a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, and ho-lee sh*t, what a difference! It's really going to take some getting used to. So far it's like riding a pissed off bull compared to my GN250.

Potato-cam pic.