View Full Version : Stop lights

ChrisHayes
09-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the timers for many of the street lights in Oklahoma City need changed so that traffic is allowed to flow instead of go and stop. I moved here from Canton, Ohio last year and the lights there are timed so that if you go the speed limit through a green light, you should be able to make the next several lights green. I love OKC, but this is one change that I would love to see happen.

Snowman
09-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the timers for many of the street lights in Oklahoma City need changed so that traffic is allowed to flow instead of go and stop. I moved here from Canton, Ohio last year and the lights there are timed so that if you go the speed limit through a green light, you should be able to make the next several lights green. I love OKC, but this is one change that I would love to see happen.

They converted a few of the roads with higher traffic counts to that a few years ago, though I do not know if they will eventually be doing that on beyond anything that is not already a state highway or city expressway.

jompster
09-21-2014, 10:09 PM
No lie. This reminds me of the one time (in 7 years) that I made it down Northwest Expressway without hitting one single red light. I climbed out of my car momentarily at County Line just to receive the heavenly ray of light and singing of the angels at such a miraculous event...

... and then I got back in the car and continued to Piedmont lol. :cool:

That being said, I do like the sequence of lights around highway intersections with streets. I don't know why, but they just seem to flow well.

Achilleslastand
09-21-2014, 10:19 PM
No lie. This reminds me of the one time (in 7 years) that I made it down Northwest Expressway without hitting one single red light. I climbed out of my car momentarily at County Line just to receive the heavenly ray of light and singing of the angels at such a miraculous event...

... and then I got back in the car and continued to Piedmont lol. :cool:

That being said, I do like the sequence of lights around highway intersections with streets. I don't know why, but they just seem to flow well.

Just wait til you drive in Edmond.....

zookeeper
09-21-2014, 10:23 PM
That's an almost impossible task in a city like ours. Too many intersecting E/W and N/S thoroughfares. How can it work in both directions and it actually work? I don't mean east and west at the same time, I mean the intersecting thoroughfares like, just an example, NW 63rd and May Ave. There's no way you could manage flow with any reliability because you'd have to have the timing somehow work in both directions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard this explanation too often to not believe there's truth in it.

bchris02
09-21-2014, 10:27 PM
I think certain areas should be timed better. For instance, near the Chesapeake Campus it sometimes takes me 15 minutes to go a mile because the lights are timed so poorly.

Here is one trick that always works. Have an important text you need to send and you'll hit all the lights green.

Snowman
09-21-2014, 11:31 PM
I think certain areas should be timed better. For instance, near the Chesapeake Campus it sometimes takes me 15 minutes to go a mile because the lights are timed so poorly.

Here is one trick that always works. Have an important text you need to send and you'll hit all the lights green.

That has the added issues of you are traveling over city lines either way you go past CHK. So the two cities traffic departments may not even be talking to one another, it may not be among the biggest issues for one or both of the cities engineers to get done, plus even when they do want to work together the budget cycles are rarely aligned and it would not be unprecedented for one of the two to have difficulties making funds available for a project they both want to do.