View Full Version : Possible move to Edmond

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Nothing official here, but in the future I'm considering moving to 'Edmond.' When I say it like that it's because I want to make sure I'm in Edmond school district, but I don't necessarily have to be in the city limits. As far as other needs, I want no less than 1/2 acre, preferably closer to 1. House would need to be 2000 sq foot but doesn't need to be greater than 3000. I'd like it to be close to 'stuff,' retail restaurants, I don't want to be way out towards Guthrie I suppose is what I'm saying, lol. My wife works at American Fidelity so I'd like her drive to be around 10 or 15 minutes depending on traffic. Any ideas on areas and neighborhoods would be helpful for future planning.

adaniel
09-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Whats you price range?

Filthy
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
May I recommend, moving just a touch further West. You mention school district as a somewhat deciding factor. Deer Creek is a good place to be right now, and for the foreseeable future. Still an Edmond address., but Edmond schools, aren't what they use to be. I would recommend starting around the area just north of Memorial Road/Macarthur. Along Macarthur...from 150th to 206th. And then as far East as Portland/HWY74. Nicer/Newer homes with acreages. In Deer Creek school district, you're out away from the city...yet, 2-3 mile drive to all the retail you can handle. You can hit the turnpike in less than 5 minutes, and be anywhere East or West of Oklahoma City in less than 10. Home values in this area are increasing faster than almost any other area in the State as well.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 09:29 AM
May I recommend, moving just a touch further West. You mention school district as a somewhat deciding factor. Deer Creek is a good place to be right now, and for the foreseeable future. Edmond schools, aren't what they use to be. I would recommend starting around the area just north of Memorial Road/Macarthur. Along Macarthur...from 150th to 206th. And then as far East as Portland/HWY74. Nicer/Newer homes with acreages. In Deer Creek school district, you're out away from the city...yet, 2-3 mile drive to all the retail you can handle. You can hit the turnpike in less than 5 minutes, and be anywhere East or West of Oklahoma City in less than 10. Home values in this area are increasing faster than almost any other area in the State as well.

Yeah I wasn't sure on the Deer Creak schools. It's been hit or miss, and I'm worried that my wife's drive would be closer to 30 minutes out that way. It is an option though.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Whats you price range?

250 to 300. Maybe a tad more for the right house.

Filthy
09-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah I wasn't sure on the Deer Creak schools. It's been hit or miss, and I'm worried that my wife's drive would be closer to 30 minutes out that way. It is an option though.

Understood. You had just mentioned school district being a deciding factor. If it is much of a factor, than Deer Creek school district is a no brainer. It is night and day difference.

theanvil
09-11-2014, 09:36 AM
You need to look at the Oakdale area. It's east of I-35 on Hefner. Lots of new construction and it has its own school for K-8 and then feeds into Edmond Memorial. OKC city limits. It would be a 5-10 minute drive to American Fidelity's new Britton Rd. campus.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 09:39 AM
So just to kind of put this out there, right now I live at SW 104th and Council. My wife works at American Fidelity, 9000 Broadway, and it takes her 25 minutes from our house. Really that's pretty quick considering it's the other side of town. Realistically it sometimes takes 30 minutes. So the problem with getting to far out even in Edmond area is that with all the lights and stop signs it can take her just as long. I just mapped from NW 206th and MacArthur and it says 20 minutes, and honestly I don't want it anymore than that. That would be pushing it IMO.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 09:44 AM
You need to look at the Oakdale area. It's east of I-35 on Hefner. Lots of new construction and it has its own school for K-8 and then feeds into Edmond Memorial. OKC city limits. It would be a 5-10 minute drive to American Fidelity's new Britton Rd. campus.

So no matter where you are, if you are in Oakdale schools you go to Edmond Memorial? Reason I ask is the cheaper houses seem to be further South and looks like that's getting closer to OKCPS.

theanvil
09-11-2014, 09:55 AM
You can look up the Oakdale Schools district boundaries online. After 8th grade, parents have their choice of sending their kids to either Edmond Memorial or Jones High School. Its just that most kids choose to go to Memorial. There is new construction near the school, as well as East of I-35 on Britton ... I can't remember the name of the addition, but I believe they are half-acre lots. I live about a mile east of Oakdale school. My son is in elementary at Oakdale and my daughter goes to Edmond Memorial and she loves it. Both are great schools.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I guess my first thoughts on that is it seems like it's out a ways and not near anything. Also Looking at some of those house prices are 350k+, and I don't want to pay that much regardless of if I can afford it. I'm not mortgaging my life away, I have other hobbies I spend money on.

rlewis
09-11-2014, 10:09 AM
There are a lot of homes in your price range, but it is difficult to find 1/2 acre lots in Edmond that have any new construction on them. The same thing applies for the Deer Creek area. Everything built in the last 10 years in that price range is on a lot just wide enough to accommodate the house, and the front and back yards are not exceptionally big. If you are intent on a lot that size, your best bet is to look on the northern, eastern, and southern fringes of Edmond. Also there are some older homes in the Oklahoma Christian University area that have lots in that size range, but many of those houses' interiors are time warps back to the 1960's or 1970's. Another area that might fit your needs would be in some of the neighborhoods straddling Danforth and Covell Roads east of Broadway but west of I-35. Most of those homes are from the 1970's and early 1980's.

John
09-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Deer Creek has a lot more in the 1+ acre range, but here is one in NW OKC/"Edmond" that might work: MLS #558652 in Edmond, OK 73012 - Home for Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.comŽ (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Edmond_OK_73012_M74665-04888)

(It's on Edmond Road between Penn & May)

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Deer Creek has a lot more in the 1+ acre range, but here is one in NW OKC/"Edmond" that might work: MLS #558652 in Edmond, OK 73012 - Home for Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.comŽ (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Edmond_OK_73012_M74665-04888)

(It's on Edmond Road between Penn & May)

Something like that would work, and area seems to fit my criteria. I hate the lack of trees on it though. Just like my current house before I bought it.

John
09-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Something like that would work, and area seems to fit my criteria. I hate the lack of trees on it though. Just like my current house before I bought it.

Mature trees are hard to come by on the NW side... (Coincidentally, there's a tree nursery directly adjacent to the neighborhood.)

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Mature trees are hard to come by on the NW side... (Coincidentally, there's a tree nursery directly adjacent to the neighborhood.)

Any trees would be nice. If people would plant them when they build the house, they'd be decent in a few years.

ctchandler
09-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Zuplar,
As a resident in the area served by Oakdale schools, let me clear this up. The law reads that if your children attend a dependent school, (in other words they have no high school, normally they have students up to the eight grade level) you can send your child(ren) to any high school in the district/county, but you are responsible for their transportation. In other words, Oakdale is in Oklahoma county so you can choose Edmond, Jones, Millwood, Oklahoma City, Putnam City, Bethany, and the Mid/Del schools. I'm sure I missed a couple but you get the point. As far as transportation, Oakdale and Edmond have an agreement that they will bus your children at normal school hours. Activities like after school sports require that you make private arrangements. Now, when our boys finished at Oakdale, we chose to send them to Jones. We liked the small school environment. And they did run buses very near our home (about 3/4th of a mile). When they attended Oakdale there were only 80 students and some of the classes were combined, first and second , and third and fourth were each one class and one teacher. By the way, Oakdale has about 450 students now and the school itself was rebuilt after the 98 tornados pretty much destroyed the school so it's a really nice place for your children. So, even though I get the impression you want your kids to go to Edmond, it's not a requirement. Several of the Oakdale kids went to Jones, but I don't know any that went anywhere other than Edmond or Jones, other than private schools, we had a few that went to Bishop McGuinness. As for your wife driving to American Fidelity, I live 7.5 miles from OPUBCO which I believe is the new home of American Fidelity. If she has to drive to 23rd and Classen, I live 12. 6 miles from there. If you have anymore questions about the Oakdale area, feel free to pm me and I will tell you all I know.
C. T.
So no matter where you are, if you are in Oakdale schools you go to Edmond Memorial? Reason I ask is the cheaper houses seem to be further South and looks like that's getting closer to OKCPS.

ctchandler
09-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Theanvil,
Just wanted to be sure you saw my note to Zuplar. State law allows you to send your kids to any school in the county. Also, I don't know of any half-acre developments in the area, but I will take a look around. Most are 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 acres.
C. T.
You can look up the Oakdale Schools district boundaries online. After 8th grade, parents have their choice of sending their kids to either Edmond Memorial or Jones High School. Its just that most kids choose to go to Memorial. There is new construction near the school, as well as East of I-35 on Britton ... I can't remember the name of the addition, but I believe they are half-acre lots. I live about a mile east of Oakdale school. My son is in elementary at Oakdale and my daughter goes to Edmond Memorial and she loves it. Both are great schools.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Zuplar,
As a resident in the area served by Oakdale schools, let me clear this up. The law reads that if your children attend a dependent school, (in other words they have no high school, normally they have students up to the eight grade level) you can send your child(ren) to any high school in the district/county, but you are responsible for their transportation. In other words, Oakdale is in Oklahoma county so you can choose Edmond, Jones, Millwood, Oklahoma City, Putnam City, Bethany, and the Mid/Del schools. I'm sure I missed a couple but you get the point. As far as transportation, Oakdale and Edmond have an agreement that they will bus your children at normal school hours. Activities like after school sports require that you make private arrangements. Now, when our boys finished at Oakdale, we chose to send them to Jones. We liked the small school environment. And they did run buses very near our home (about 3/4th of a mile). When they attended Oakdale there were only 80 students and some of the classes were combined, first and second , and third and fourth were each one class and one teacher. By the way, Oakdale has about 450 students now and the school itself was rebuilt after the 98 tornados pretty much destroyed the school so it's a really nice place for your children. So, even though I get the impression you want your kids to go to Edmond, it's not a requirement. Several of the Oakdale kids went to Jones, but I don't know any that went anywhere other than Edmond or Jones, other than private schools, we had a few that went to Bishop McGuinness. As for your wife driving to American Fidelity, I live 7.5 miles from OPUBCO which I believe is the new home of American Fidelity. If she has to drive to 23rd and Classen, I live 12. 6 miles from there. If you have anymore questions about the Oakdale area, feel free to pm me and I will tell you all I know.
C. T.

Thank you C.T. this clears it up for me. As always I appreciate the insight.

theanvil
09-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks for sharing, C.T. Great info ... I honestly only thought the choices were Edmond and Jones. My addition about a mile east of the school has a few 1 acre lots left. And I believe the lots in Casa Bella are either half-acre or 1 acre lots.

ctchandler
09-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Theanvil,
I was going to back off of my statement about the 1 acre lots, but you beat me to it. I believe the development "Oakdale Meadows" might be an acre or less, Apple Valley 2 is less than 1 and 1/4 acre, River Oaks lots are all right around 1.1 acres, and how about Oakdale Valley, about 1/2 acre. Boy when I blow it, I do it good. Also, as far as the law concerning dependent schools, who would seriously consider anything other than Edmond and Jones from out here. Possibly Millwood, but transportation would be a problem anywhere else, in my opinion.
C. T.
Thanks for sharing, C.T. Great info ... I honestly only thought the choices were Edmond and Jones. My addition about a mile east of the school has a few 1 acre lots left. And I believe the lots in Casa Bella are either half-acre or 1 acre lots.

ctchandler
09-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Zuplar,
I forgot a development, Oakdale Park, they are not acreages, but it appears to be a nice development with homes around the 2,000+ square foot range. It is just a little North of Frontier City on the East side of Coltrane. Around 118th. I believe it is a small gated community. And by the way, this area is a lot more convenient than you might think. Hospitals less than 3 miles or Mercy/The Heart Hospital about 11 miles, Edmond is relatively close. But anytime I told somebody where I lived the always said something like "your way out aren't you?" but when I ran a maps program (pre google maps or Mapquest), they were really surprised.
C. T.
Thank you C.T. this clears it up for me. As always I appreciate the insight.

Plutonic Panda
09-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Nothing official here, but in the future I'm considering moving to 'Edmond.' When I say it like that it's because I want to make sure I'm in Edmond school district, but I don't necessarily have to be in the city limits. As far as other needs, I want no less than 1/2 acre, preferably closer to 1. House would need to be 2000 sq foot but doesn't need to be greater than 3000. I'd like it to be close to 'stuff,' retail restaurants, I don't want to be way out towards Guthrie I suppose is what I'm saying, lol. My wife works at American Fidelity so I'd like her drive to be around 10 or 15 minutes depending on traffic. Any ideas on areas and neighborhoods would be helpful for future planning.Well, I'll post even though I'm only 20 :p

First off, you might think about looking at East Edmond by I-35 and Covell. A ton of new entertainment and shopping options are on their way out there and tons of new housing is being built. Housing that you can have custom built, if you're into that. A new high school is likely going to be built around this area, so that's something to keep in mind. I suspect we will have one built or under construction within five years. There is also sparse traffic(at the moment) and it close to the highway which I-35 through Edmond is almost never congested(again, at the moment :P).

Remember, NW OKC or West Edmond is always a good option. There is already solid growth occurring out there and it will likely only grow faster. I really think it's only a matter of time(5-8 years) before we see an announcement extending Hefner Parkway and looping it around Edmond. Traffic generally flows a little better out there but it still takes time to get to the highways depending on how far north you are.

The one thing about being deep inside Edmond is the traffic sucks. The speed limits are too low, traffic doesn't flow like it should, and people in this city just flat out don't know how to drive. So if I were worried about commute times, I'd make sure I would try to live as close to I-35 or Kilpatrick Turnpike as possible.

ctchandler
09-11-2014, 03:05 PM
PluPan,
Thanks, I forgot to mention that the area around Oakdale is generally a 1.5 miles or less from I-35 and the Kilpatrick turnpike.
C. T.
I'd make sure I would try to live as close to I-35 or Kilpatrick Turnpike as possible.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah I went to school at UCO so I'm well aware of traffic in Edmond. The acreage is something I will not budge on. I may consider Deer Creek, but going less than 1/2 acre is not an option, that's a must have, and honestly if the house is close to 3000 sq foot I'm almost thinking it will need to be closer to 1 acre. If I build a home then that changes a lot, because then I really think about 2 acres is the minimum, but would prefer 5. I know a lot of people are going to say why do I need it, and I don't, but I want it cause I've never lived on anything less than 1, which is where I'm at now. I'm just worried about ending up in a location like I am now, where when I tell people where I live they are like oh out in the boonies, and I'm like uh I've lived on a 3600 acre ranch, this isn't the boonies.

BBatesokc
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
We live in Edmond near East 15th and I-35 and are extremely happy. Paid just over $200K for a two story older home on 2.4 wooded acres with a pond and large rock formations. While our son is grown, our neighbors kids all either go to Edmond public schools or Heritage Hall and all are really happy with the schools.

If you don't mind an older home, there are bargains to be had and the location is great - I-35 to downtown is much better than Broadway or Portland/Hefner Parkway. Plus you're minutes from WalMart, Sam's, Sprouts, Lowe's and Target.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
We live in Edmond near East 15th and I-35 and are extremely happy. Paid just over $200K for a two story older home on 2.4 wooded acres with a pond and large rock formations. While our son is grown, our neighbors kids all either go to Edmond public schools or Heritage Hall and all are really happy with the schools.

If you don't mind an older home, there are bargains to be had and the location is great - I-35 to downtown is much better than Broadway or Portland/Hefner Parkway. Plus you're minutes from WalMart, Sam's, Sprouts, Lowe's and Target.

I've got no issue with an older house, as long as it has a good look, not something that really overly dates it I don't mind. I wouldn't mind even putting $50k in it if it meant I had the lot I want in the park of town I want. Sometimes that's your best bet.

Or maybe I've just been watching to much HGTV, lol.

BBatesokc
09-11-2014, 05:43 PM
I've got no issue with an older house, as long as it has a good look, not something that really overly dates it I don't mind. I wouldn't mind even putting $50k in it if it meant I had the lot I want in the park of town I want. Sometimes that's your best bet.

Or maybe I've just been watching to much HGTV, lol.

That's exactly what we bought IMO. 60's house that was very well built and has a timeless classic architecture. The interior was VERY dated so we went DIY crazy. I'd go older fixer upper over new in Edmond any day if money is a concern. Can often get a lot that is 10x better, just as big a home and save up to 50% (as long as you don't overspend on the renovations).

kevinpate
09-11-2014, 06:56 PM
... if it meant I had the lot I want in the park of town I want. Sometimes that's your best bet.
... .

Ok, I for one am convinced you're truly committed to having acreage. :)

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
That's exactly what we bought IMO. 60's house that was very well built and has a timeless classic architecture. The interior was VERY dated so we went DIY crazy. I'd go older fixer upper over new in Edmond any day if money is a concern. Can often get a lot that is 10x better, just as big a home and save up to 50% (as long as you don't overspend on the renovations).

Sounds like that is going to be my best bet. I always like getting a good deal, then making it even better.

oklip955
09-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I saw in your earlier posts about wanting acearage. I would buy more land rather then less. Prices are going up and it would be a nice investment that you can enjoy. There will be going in a few acreage developments of 2 ac or so lots close in to I-35 soon. You might consider building your dream home. You'll be able to get the house like you want and it'll be new without the suprises that can come with an older home. I might let you know that pheasant something just west of Sorgham Mill and Douglas has 2 ac lots for sale. I'm thinking 2000 sq ft min. They allow out buildings. Nice homes and lots of trees. City of Edmond and Edmond Schools. Well and septic. There is no on ramp to I 35 but you can drop down 2 miles to Covel and get on I-35. Nice area. Not sure what the lots are going for.

Zuplar
09-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah sorgham and Douglas is way to far out for me. I'd prefer honestly to stay west of i35 and south of covell.

Debzkidz
09-12-2014, 04:20 AM
I too would recommend somewhere along I-35 between 15th and Covell, or maybe Danforth. That's where we are. We're on 1/2 acre lot with trees and we are pretty close to your size and price range. I don't think I would want to go much further west than Bryant. Otherwise you will get into all of the Edmond traffic. But if you stay to the east of Bryant it's not too bad. Obliviously, the closer to the interstate the better. And you are close to everything.

BBatesokc
09-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Several friends and family have built or bought new homes in Edmond. While they are really nice and new (and in some ways I'm pretty jealous)...... this has always been my concern (and please correct me where I'm wrong - not that that's ever been an issue here);

1.) Virtually all the homes people I know bought new were around $400,000.

2.) The lots were always 1 acre or less and had virtually no mature trees.

3.) While the house looks great, it also looks very new and all have the brick, stone, wood, 'cottage' look that I fear will be dated and not 'timeless' in the future.

4.) Its like buying a new car - sure its all brand new and shinny, but after just a couple of years - its just a 'used' home like all the rest. Plus several of the new homes have had major issues (electrical, plumbing, roof leaks and/or flood control).

It would seem to me that if you pay $400,000 for a new built in most typical new neighborhoods, can you really ever expect to 'make money' off the house? Would you really expect to sell the house used for say $500,000+???? I just don't see how because a buyer would be able to build their own new house with all of today's 'must haves' for the same $400,000 or so you paid for your now used house years previously. The exceptions would be for used homes in very desirable locations or those that have been kept up-to-date (but that costs money and effects any profits going forward).

That's the reasoning we used for buying older, what we consider timeless architecture (English cottage I guess), in what we considered a great location (East 15 and I-35), on a large 2.4 acre lot with tons of mature trees and large rock formations.

The drawback however to a 60's house is some things I very much like about new homes..... 3-4 car garage, multi-zone heat and air, new up to date kitchen and baths and larger master baths and closets. If you want those amenities and they are 'must haves' then plan on your home looking like a construction zone or buy new.

That said, and with interest rates as low as they are, I can totally understand the desire to built new, I just couldn't make financial sense of it for our personal needs.

Filthy
09-12-2014, 08:34 AM
How old are your children? You had somewhat opened this conversation with the mention of importance of school district. You can build a house anywhere you want....and you can buy a house anywhere you want. But the location of the home you buy/build will determine what kind of an education your child will receive. (Unless you go private) So, if your kids are already older....and will just have to take in a year or two of high school...then, I wouldn't worry about that being a big part of the equation. But, if your children are elementary age or younger, I would strongly recommend considering Deer Creek out west, with Oakdale further East also being an option. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but Edmond schools aren't what they use to be....even as recently as 5-7 years ago.

You are already pretty far West on Council as it is...so Deer Creek seems like a natural fit. As you would be directly North of where you are now. My parents live at NW192nd/Council. It is a "neighborhood," with 18-20 homes in it, but they are all 3-5 acre lots, there's a good mix of homes anywhere between 2,500-6,000 sq ft, some with shops....and plenty of trees. there are quite a few neighborhoods just like theirs out that way, and a lot of undeveloped land, for future growth. With the Kilpatrick turnpike running East/West..there really isn't anywhere you or your wife cant be in a very short amount of time. You can be as far West as Yukon, and get all the way to I-35 in less than 8 minutes. When you describe your current living situation, and possible wants...this is the type of area I picture you living in. It is true what everyone is saying, that for the most part...everything is growing to the NW...and to the NE. So, pick your poison...and do it!

Zuplar
09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
How old are your children? You had somewhat opened this conversation with the mention of importance of school district. You can build a house anywhere you want....and you can buy a house anywhere you want. But the location of the home you buy/build will determine what kind of an education your child will receive. (Unless you go private) So, if your kids are already older....and will just have to take in a year or two of high school...then, I wouldn't worry about that being a big part of the equation. But, if your children are elementary age or younger, I would strongly recommend considering Deer Creek out west, with Oakdale further East also being an option. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but Edmond schools aren't what they use to be....even as recently as 5-7 years ago.

You are already pretty far West on Council as it is...so Deer Creek seems like a natural fit. As you would be directly North of where you are now. My parents live at NW192nd/Council. It is a "neighborhood," with 18-20 homes in it, but they are all 3-5 acre lots, there's a good mix of homes anywhere between 2,500-6,000 sq ft, some with shops....and plenty of trees. there are quite a few neighborhoods just like theirs out that way, and a lot of undeveloped land, for future growth. With the Kilpatrick turnpike running East/West..there really isn't anywhere you or your wife cant be in a very short amount of time. You can be as far West as Yukon, and get all the way to I-35 in less than 8 minutes. When you describe your current living situation, and possible wants...this is the type of area I picture you living in. It is true what everyone is saying, that for the most part...everything is growing to the NW...and to the NE. So, pick your poison...and do it!

We currently don't have children, but probably will soon, so we are still 6 or 7 years out of having them in school, but I also understand the importance of the school district, and I'd like our next home to be the one we stay in for the long haul. We somewhat thought the one we bought was going to be that, but with my wife working close to Edmond now, and the distance we are from the Moore schools our house is districted for, I just wonder about a change. I guess that's also part of my hesitation about Deer Creek. The areas that have been mentioned still seem far away from those schools.

So to maybe help everyone understand my situation and where I am coming from I'll try to lay it out. I work in Mustang, and live just East of town. My wife works at American Fidelity on Broadway and Britton. We are Moore schools and the schools are all 8.5 to 9 miles away, and for me the opposite way of work. So as you can see, in the future that could be a lot of back tracking and for my wife it really isn't even close. We are close enough to Mustang for most of the retail we need, and anything they don't have south OKC has.

With that in mind, I don't want to move North and be in the same situation. I'd hate to move South of Deer Creek schools, because I know we are both only going to work further South. It seems like moving closer to Edmond usually means the schools are more frequent and at worse a mile or 2 out of the way.

This is part of the reason I'm willing to go down to a 1/2 acre to be more convenient. I'm the kind of guy with a boat, a couple 4 wheelers and motorcycles with a shop in the back yard for all my toys. I just don't see that being an option on 99% of the 'city' lots out there, but I do know there are the occasional bigger lots that due to location could support that kind of stuff.

I don't know, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and in the end I'm going to be just as well off here as there. Like I said before it takes me wife around 25 to 30 minutes and that's not bad coming from across town. With traffic up on the Northwest side, it could end up being about the same at which point what's the point especially if schools are just as far out.

rezman
09-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Don't forget too, That east of I-35 and Covel is a hot area and more upscale. It is common to pay $250-300K just for the lot.

Filthy
09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
We currently don't have children, but probably will soon, so we are still 6 or 7 years out of having them in school, but I also understand the importance of the school district, and I'd like our next home to be the one we stay in for the long haul. We somewhat thought the one we bought was going to be that, but with my wife working close to Edmond now, and the distance we are from the Moore schools our house is districted for, I just wonder about a change. I guess that's also part of my hesitation about Deer Creek. The areas that have been mentioned still seem far away from those schools.

So to maybe help everyone understand my situation and where I am coming from I'll try to lay it out. I work in Mustang, and live just East of town. My wife works at American Fidelity on Broadway and Britton. We are Moore schools and the schools are all 8.5 to 9 miles away, and for me the opposite way of work. So as you can see, in the future that could be a lot of back tracking and for my wife it really isn't even close. We are close enough to Mustang for most of the retail we need, and anything they don't have south OKC has.

With that in mind, I don't want to move North and be in the same situation. I'd hate to move South of Deer Creek schools, because I know we are both only going to work further South. It seems like moving closer to Edmond usually means the schools are more frequent and at worse a mile or 2 out of the way.

This is part of the reason I'm willing to go down to a 1/2 acre to be more convenient. I'm the kind of guy with a boat, a couple 4 wheelers and motorcycles with a shop in the back yard for all my toys. I just don't see that being an option on 99% of the 'city' lots out there, but I do know there are the occasional bigger lots that due to location could support that kind of stuff.

I don't know, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and in the end I'm going to be just as well off here as there. Like I said before it takes me wife around 25 to 30 minutes and that's not bad coming from across town. With traffic up on the Northwest side, it could end up being about the same at which point what's the point especially if schools are just as far out.

Understood. The area I am recommending, there are 5 deer Creek elementary schools in a 12 square mile area, and 2 middle/Intermediate schools. When high school rolls around, one would hope that your child either has the ability to drive themselves to the high school, or can ride a bus. But, if you'll look at the map, I have circled the area in question. It seems like an optimal location, being right at the elbow of the Kilpatrick turnpike. The wife can easily go East...to get to her job. Yet, it is also very easy to go south (West) on the same turnpike, almost all the way down to Mustang. Seems like, almost exactly in the middle.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq241/Filthy09/deercreek_zps7648f73a.png (http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Filthy09/media/deercreek_zps7648f73a.png.html)

oklip955
09-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Ok here is an idea, there was/is a house for sale in Rustling Hills, Bryant and Covell just south on a acre. I think the house is 2000+ sq ft (2300 or so I think) with a pool that backs to a creek. House built in the 1977 or so era and updated. It was around $270,000. Not sure if it is still for sale or sold. No shop but lots of shops in the subdivision. Edmond schools and city of Edmond. Well and septic.

oklip955
09-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Ops I ment to say north of Covell . Its Bryant and Sorghrum Mill just south. Its 250,000 and its2500 sq ft built in 1974. By the way ac lots are not for the most part going for $300000. I'm looking to sell my 10 ac in the future. The land value right now is between $250,000 and $300000 for 10 ac. You can find lots for around 35,000 to $40,000 I believe. There is one exclusive subdivision at Post and 66 that has lots for that price but its not the norm. I can see you wanting to be close in. There are few older homes around 33rd going for around $300K on an ac or so. Try checking okc mult list to see what is out in the area you are interested in.

rezman
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Ops I ment to say north of Covell . Its Bryant and Sorghrum Mill just south. Its 250,000 and its2500 sq ft built in 1974. By the way ac lots are not for the most part going for $300000. I'm looking to sell my 10 ac in the future. The land value right now is between $250,000 and $300000 for 10 ac. You can find lots for around 35,000 to $40,000 I believe. There is one exclusive subdivision at Post and 66 that has lots for that price but its not the norm. I can see you wanting to be close in. There are few older homes around 33rd going for around $300K on an ac or so. Try checking okc mult list to see what is out in the area you are interested in.

Not saying it's the norm. just that it's common. Sugar Hill on 66 between Douglas and Post is one in the 250-300K range for a lot and there are several other high end additions to the north and east of there in the same range and slightly less. I used to live out that way and have a friend who deals in a lot of land out that way, and east to Welston and to the north. The more additions that are popping up is making it easier to find smaller lots, but 1 acre lots out that way have been harder to come by without paying a premium for them.

Zuplar
09-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Understood. The area I am recommending, there are 5 deer Creek elementary schools in a 12 square mile area, and 2 middle/Intermediate schools. When high school rolls around, one would hope that your child either has the ability to drive themselves to the high school, or can ride a bus. But, if you'll look at the map, I have circled the area in question. It seems like an optimal location, being right at the elbow of the Kilpatrick turnpike. The wife can easily go East...to get to her job. Yet, it is also very easy to go south (West) on the same turnpike, almost all the way down to Mustang. Seems like, almost exactly in the middle.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq241/Filthy09/deercreek_zps7648f73a.png (http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Filthy09/media/deercreek_zps7648f73a.png.html)

Thanks for the clarification. I think that area could work. Hopefully I am not working in Mustang at that point. If I do stay working here I will not be moving.

Yeah this is way to for north for me. When I see houses out that way my first thought is I don't want to live in Guthrie, :lol:.

oklip955
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
A bit off topic, maybe I'll get a real good price for my 10 ac, house, barns and out buildings when I chose to sell. I'm in the Edmond School district on Douglas south of Waterloo. Humm, now I'm wondering if in my thinking I have my place too low. I guess 10 ac close in with a house and barns will sell quick when I'm at that point. Several additions are fixing to go in in the area. One about a mile south with like 190 lots 1/4 ac or so.