View Full Version : Bar suggestion

DoctorTaco
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Norman folks help me out. I am heading with some friends to a concert in Norman tonight near Crawford and Main. What is a good place nearby to grab a drink and/or maybe a bite to eat?

LocoAko
09-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I like McNellie's for beer and some decent (bar) food... or if you wanted to be a little more upscale, I really like Scratch for dinner. They also have fancy cocktails which I've never had but I've heard nothing but good things about.

Geographer
09-05-2014, 10:15 AM
If you're wanting to venture off of main street for a good pub with good food as well at reasonable prices then I would suggest the Library. It's on Boyd just west of campus corner.

Jersey Boss
09-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Das Boot Kamp. It is on the NW corner of Main and Crawford. The restaurant has some very tasty Germanic dishes along with a full bar and their own beer. If German food is not your thing, the original GARAGE is on the northside of Main within 1/2 block of Crawford. They have a bar and serve some very tasty burgers and such. Enjoy your time.

kevinpate
09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Everyday good food
Garage on Main (bison burgers ..hot dayum)
Abner's Ale House on Main (the Norman McNellie's)
Van's on N Porter (good Q in general, very good turkey)
Tarahumara on N Porter (Lovely and I are big fans)
Braum's at N Porter and Robinson (dang good burger; very thick shakes on request)
S&B (or so I hear. I've not been) Jones and Main

Nicer establishments downtown:
Blu (one block south of Crawford/Main)
Scratch (Santa Fe and Main)

If food and alcohol do not necessarily need to be combined -
Ozzie's at the airport then grab a drink elsewhere, such as Abner's, then the concert

Geographer
09-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Everyday good food
Garage on Main (bison burgers ..hot dayum)
Abner's Ale House on Main (the Norman McNellie's)
Van's on N Porter (good Q in general, very good turkey)
Tarahumara on N Porter (Lovely and I are big fans)
Braum's at N Porter and Robinson (dang good burger; very thick shakes on request)
S&B (or so I hear. I've not been) Jones and Main

Nicer establishments downtown:
Blu (one block south of Crawford/Main)
Scratch (Santa Fe and Main)

If food and alcohol do not necessarily need to be combined -
Ozzie's at the airport then grab a drink elsewhere, such as Abner's, then the concert

Kevin,

I would suggest you try out El Chapala in that strip center commonly known as Cancer Corner just west of the Adams dorm building...its cheaper than Tarahumara and about a billion times better and more authentic...get the pollo chipotle. You won't regret it sir.

kevinpate
09-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Kevin,

I would suggest you try out El Chapala in that strip center commonly known as Cancer Corner just west of the Adams dorm building...its cheaper than Tarahumara and about a billion times better and more authentic...get the pollo chipotle. You won't regret it sir.

New one on me, though it may have been there for years for all I know. I don't tend to get south of Boyd any more, unless there is a specific destination in play, such as seeing someone who can not travel to me, doing something with the g-babies when they are here, or heading down 77 to another county. I really should start getting out more, even if it might put my charter membership in hermit-b-me at risk.

Given it's location, I am presuming it is a primary pub-n-grub for the dorm crowd. If the food is good, I can work around that.

DoctorTaco
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions people! We ended up killing time at McNellies, then finding out the show was running late so then we went to the Garage. Ironic that my friends and I all live in Midtown and then went to Norman and replicated the experience. But a good time was had.

RnRFun
09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
New one on me, though it may have been there for years for all I know.

It used to be Mr. Bill's the bar [RIP]

Tavia
09-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I think El Chapala has closed.