View Full Version : Where do you grocery shop?

Pages : [1] 2

GoOKC1991
08-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Or your wife/girlfriend? We all talk in different threads about this grocery store, that grocery store. Where do you shop at? Could that change with something like WinCo coming?

Walmart for me but I WILL be changing to WinCo as soon as they are open

Clown puncher
08-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Crest or Sometimes Homeland.

Jeepnokc
08-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Wherever is convenient but usually Crest at 104/May. Went to Homeland on 19/Classen today of which I used to shop at all the time when we lived in Gatewood and HH East. I guess I never realized how expensive they were and quickly remembered that you have to check expiration dates on everything there. They had Turkey Pepperoni on sale and I went through ten bags that expired in July before finding one lone one that was still good.

Dustin
08-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Homeland on NW Expressway and Lake Hefner Parkway or Sprouts on 63rd and May

SomeGuy
08-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I usually shop at Sprouts in OKC, I love stocking up on fruits when they have sales there and their seafood. I used to shop at the Homeland on NW 23rd and Rockwell back when it was Albertsons ( they had a great seafood selection and meat selection) then homeland took over that location and it went a bit downhill a few years later.

Pete
08-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Out here, I split almost equally between Trader Joe's and Ralph's (Kroger). I do a bit at Costco, but they only sell in bulk and I end up wasting most of what I buy.

I would shop almost exclusively at Trader Joe's but they don't carry Diet DP, and I drink a lot of that (my one vice).

As a side note, I've had a gift card to Whole Foods for almost two years and finally decided to go back to the huge, relatively new store near me. I just don't get that place, especially with so many great options here. I ended up buying some craft beer that I could have bought anywhere, and certainly would have paid less.

If WinCo was closer, it would replace Ralph's for me. I was really impressed with their selection, prices and wiiiide aisles. 30 miles is too darn far but I'd drive 5-6 if one was within that range.

Clown puncher
08-27-2014, 05:39 PM
You should by a food saver vacuum sealer , your waste would go away when buying in bulk.

Martin
08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
my main two places are crest @ sw 104th & may and chef'store. i'd probably go to sprouts regularly if one was conveniently located. -M

Pete
08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
You should by a food saver vacuum sealer , your waste would go away when buying in bulk.

Most of what I buy is fresh (veggies and fruit) and that doesn't keep. I do buy ground turkey and freeze it. I don't like prepared foods.

I'll always remember the first words a nutritionist said in a corporate talk I attended several years ago: "Costco is not your friend". She basically said that people feel obligated (or justified) in eating way more than they should when buying in inexpensive bulk. She reminded everyone that warehouse stores are really meant for small businesses and restaurants, not today's smaller families who eat at home much less than a generation ago.

Costco has great quality but I usually just pick up a rotisserie chicken and maybe a bagged salad when I'm in there to buy bulk pet food. And even though the salad is only $3, I almost never finish it before it goes bad; same with the chicken.

About 90% of healthy eating is portion control with minimized snacking and Sam's and Costco are horrible on this front. Every time I go into Costco I look at people with those overflowing HUGE carts and know they are probably only feeding a few people. It's so incredibly unhealthy.

windowphobe
08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
About half my grocery dollar goes to Crest (23rd and Meridian); the rest is split between Sprouts and the Homeland at Britton and May.

bchris02
08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't have any real loyalties in OKC. If they had Harris Teeter or Kroger there I would shop there most frequently but there isn't. I am looking forward to WinCo when it comes and also Trader Joe's if that rumor ever materializes.

BBatesokc
08-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Edmond; Sam's, Walmart, & Sprouts.

Jersey Boss
08-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Homeland, Target and Farmers Market.

boscorama
08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
85 percent Crest; 10% Uptown Grocery or Walmart; 5 % Homeland.

zookeeper
08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I drive by two other grocery stores to go to Homeland at May & Britton. Shop some at Whole Foods.

Rover
08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Sprouts mostly, Whole Foods sometimes, Buy 4 Less for staples

Jim Kyle
08-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Homeland on NW Expressway and Lake Hefner Parkway or Sprouts on 63rd and MayThat's a Buy For Less at NW Hiway and Hefner Parkway, not a Homeland.

For myself it's about 85% Crest at Rockwell and Hefner, and the other 15% at Homeland, NW 122 and Rockwell. This Homeland has a great deli section, and carries the brand of bread I prefer, but like all Homelands its prices are a bit high for my budget so other stuff comes from Crest...

ljbab728
08-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Homeland at NW Expwy and MacArthur and will likely switch to the location at Britton and May when it closes. I do go to (shudder) Walmart for some drug items and laundry and cleaning supplies.

turnpup
08-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Used to be Belle Isle Walmart Supercenter. Now only that Walmart when absolutely necessary. Replaced by enhanced Target at 50th and May, and Eley's Foods at 30th and May. Eley's is a well-kept secret. Unassuming on the outside, and clean, well-stocked and impressive on the inside. They still sack your groceries and take them to your car! If you live nearby, this place is a gem! Slightly higher prices, but way worth it in the lack of crowds and hassle.

trousers
08-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Meat & produce from Sprouts. Everything else from the Buy for less on NW expressway.

zookeeper
08-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Used to be Belle Isle Walmart Supercenter. Now only that Walmart when absolutely necessary. Replaced by enhanced Target at 50th and May, and Eley's Foods at 30th and May. Eley's is a well-kept secret. Unassuming on the outside, and clean, well-stocked and impressive on the inside. They still sack your groceries and take them to your car! If you live nearby, this place is a gem! Slightly higher prices, but way worth it in the lack of crowds and hassle.

Yes, I go to Eley's sometimes for meat. Great butcher shop! I agree it IS a well-kept secret.

KenRagsdale
08-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Walmart, Belle Isle; Whole Foods, Classen Curve; Braum's 39th and North Penn; Buy For Less, 3501 NW Highway. Each store offers something the other stores do not.

Roger S
08-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Whatever grocer I happen to be close to when the impulse to buy groceries strikes me.

I do buy most of the meat that I smoke from the US Foods Chef Store.

warreng88
08-28-2014, 07:05 AM
We go to Sprouts for weekly food needs but Target for things like toilet paper, cereal, laundry detergent, etc. Also, if we are in a pinch and need just one or two items, we go to Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market 1/2 mile from the house. It is next to my gym so I can go there after a workout.

td25er
08-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Target in Edmond. This store seriously sucks. It is 100% guaranteed that they will be out of multiple items on my list (which is never very long). Unfortunately, they do carry a few regular items that Walmart doesn't, so I keep going back. :mad:

jdcf
08-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Sprouts for meat and produce; Crest for most of remaining items.

Bullbear
08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Crest at 23rd and Meridian. Eley's for meats and to just pick up a few items. and sometimes Sprouts for a good sale.
but the bulk of mine is Crest. haven't walked into a walmart in id say 6 years or more

warreng88
08-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Target in Edmond. This store seriously sucks. It is 100% guaranteed that they will be out of multiple items on my list (which is never very long). Unfortunately, they do carry a few regular items that Walmart doesn't, so I keep going back. :mad:

We used to go there all the time and two weeks in a row, we would go on Sundays and we learned very quickly that they next restocked items on Sunday due to it being one of the busiest days. So, cereal, canned foods, etc we had to get on a seperate trip and that store is nowhere near our house.

warreng88
08-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Crest at 23rd and Meridian. Eley's for meats and to just pick up a few items. and sometimes Sprouts for a good sale.
but the bulk of mine is Crest. haven't walked into a walmart in id say 6 years or more

We went there when we first moved in our house but took one trip down to the one on SW 104th and May and never really wanted to go back. Just a different kind of store, better layout, etc.

Bill Robertson
08-28-2014, 08:52 AM
About equally between Homeland @ 122nd & Rockwell, Walmart Neighborhood Mkt @ Hefner & Rockwell and Walmart @ Council & NW Expressway

Bullbear
08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
We went there when we first moved in our house but took one trip down to the one on SW 104th and May and never really wanted to go back. Just a different kind of store, better layout, etc.

I wont argue that. the new crests are much better this one ot merician is an old Snyders IGA from years past.. my brother use to manage it some 20 years ago I believe. its closer to home and I am use to the layout. .I am a perimiter shopper for most part for fresh food and veggies and try to avoid processed stuff so it works well.. but yes id love one like the 104th and May store.. rather have that close than Walmart neighborhood market..

mattjank
08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
In Norman, so Sprouts for veggies/meats, Crest for canned goods/deli/dairy/other staples, Sams for paper goods 1x every other month, and neighborhood market for quick refills/forgotten items

Mr. Cotter
08-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Sprouts on 63rd for most things, Eley's for some packaged goods or when I'm in a hurry, Walmart on 23rd when I have to.

CuatrodeMayo
08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
With a family of 5, I tend value economy over quality in groceries (with several exceptions).

When we first moved back to OKC after college, we would do the vast majority of our grocery shopping at the Belle Isle WM. When we moved to Gatewood we started doing much of that shopping at the WM Neighborhood Market at 23rd & Penn, which was much closer and less awful than BI. Eventually (and for several reasons), we decided to drop our Walmart addiction and go somewhere else. At first, we shopped at Buy for Less, Crest, and even Target but eventually began buying the bulk of our groceries at Aldi. It wasn’t real close to us, so we had to make larger trips every couple of weeks. For day-to-day items, we would still occasionally visit the WM NM, though.

Here in Seattle, we are still figuring out the best grocery value for our family. We’ve tried Safeway (and even had it delivered once!), Target (across the street from us), Fred Meyer, & Trader Joe’s. We haven’t tried Costco, mainly because we don’t have enough room to store in bulk. Recently we decided to drive out to the burbs to WinCo. We LOVED WinCo and decided to make the drive every couple of weeks to stock up. We will still go to Target for the day-to-day items and Trader Joe’s for some specialty items (Hello, Cookie Butter!).

WinCo will absolutely kick butt in OKC.

TheTravellers
08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Crest on 15th/Santa Fe weekly, Whole Foods for their cheese and other "gourmet" items when we get down there (every few months, can't afford to do it more often), Akins on Memorial occasionally (but Natural Grocers on 164th/Western may replace them), Sprouts on 63rd/May occasionally.

warreng88
08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Once Winco opens, if it is as good as everyone makes it out to be, that is probably where we will end up doing our grocery shopping. I really hope its success doesn't affect the succes of Crest.

LakeEffect
08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
With a family of 5, I tend value economy over quality in groceries (with several exceptions).

When we first moved back to OKC after college, we would do the vast majority of our grocery shopping at the Belle Isle WM. When we moved to Gatewood we started doing much of that shopping at the WM Neighborhood Market at 23rd & Penn, which was much closer and less awful than BI. Eventually (and for several reasons), we decided to drop our Walmart addiction and go somewhere else. At first, we shopped at Buy for Less, Crest, and even Target but eventually began buying the bulk of our groceries at Aldi. It wasn’t real close to us, so we had to make larger trips every couple of weeks. For day-to-day items, we would still occasionally visit the WM NM, though.

Here in Seattle, we are still figuring out the best grocery value for our family. We’ve tried Safeway (and even had it delivered once!), Target (across the street from us), Fred Meyer, & Trader Joe’s. We haven’t tried Costco, mainly because we don’t have enough room to store in bulk. Recently we decided to drive out to the burbs to WinCo. We LOVED WinCo and decided to make the drive every couple of weeks to stock up. We will still go to Target for the day-to-day items and Trader Joe’s for some specialty items (Hello, Cookie Butter!).

I go on vacation and don't check OKC Talk for 10 days and you've moved to Seattle?!

Pete
08-28-2014, 02:16 PM

I agree.

I think WinCo is perfect for mass appeal in OKC. I also think people will be lining up once Trader Joe's comes to town, as it's totally different than anything else.

tfvc.org
08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Natural Grocers, Dodsons, Crest, Whole Foods, Mediterranean Imports and Deli (For basamati rice)

bchris02
08-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Once Winco opens, if it is as good as everyone makes it out to be, that is probably where we will end up doing our grocery shopping. I really hope its success doesn't affect the succes of Crest.

WinCo will probably affect Homeland the most, and may knock a few percentage points off Wal-Mart's marketshare. I don't see Crest being affected too bad, especially since the announced WinCo locations aren't very near Crest locations.

LakeEffect
08-28-2014, 02:30 PM
WinCo will probably affect Homeland the most, and may knock a few percentage points off Wal-Mart's marketshare. I don't see Crest being affected too bad, especially since the announced WinCo locations aren't very near Crest locations.

Agree.

We do about 85% at Whole Foods and the remainder at Target. Just never trust the downtown Homeland for "best buy" dates, and the BI Walmart feels like it's gotten dirtier lately... wife stopped there Tuesday and found a sour cream that was 4 months past expiration.

David
08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
A combination of the nearest Walmart Neighborhood Market (so much better than the slightly further away Supercenter) and Amazon Prime. Admittedly, the stuff from Amazon doesn't tend to be grocery items specifically, just the non-perishable stuff you would normally expect to find at a big Walmart.

It was fairly funny, we just didn't realize how hateful the experience of shopping at the giant store was until we got used to shopping at the smaller one and then went back for something we couldn't find at the Market. Never again. Never again.

bchris02
08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
I abhor shopping at Wal-Mart Supercenters. They are dirty and a hassle to shop at. The only time I go is if I am hanging out with somebody and need food and they insist on shopping there. I do shop at Neighborhood Markets from time to time but even those are so understaffed they are a pain because of long lines and wait times.

warreng88
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM

According to Googlemaps, the MWC location will be between two Crest locations. The other locations are at least a few miles away like you said.

tfvc.org
08-28-2014, 02:58 PM
I usually do my main grocery shopping after work (Get off at midnight) and Crest at 104th and in Norman always has at least one lane open with an actual human checker checking you out. I have been to the wally worlds a couple of times because I needed something other than groceries. They only had the self check outs open. I have left the store because of this leaving a full basket full of fresh and frozen groceries near the entrances of the self check out lines. I don't want to take away a job from a worker, I am not getting a discount for checking my own groceries, and every time I have used them in the past there has always been an issue with either an item isn't scanning, not in the system, or too light to be felt by the scale where the bags are. I have gotten to the point that if I need something that isn't a grocery item, I will shop somewhere during the day and do my groceries at night. I try to avoid walmart at all costs, but sometimes they are the only ones that have it.

lasomeday
08-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Homeland, and Buy 4 Less. Just depends on where I am and what I am looking to buy.

OKCretro
08-28-2014, 03:08 PM
the WM at BI might be the worst grocery store in the city, haven't been there in years and will do my best to never go back.

Usually go to WF or the super target.

CuatrodeMayo
08-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Try Metropolitan Market.

When we were staying in Lower QA we were a block from the MM there and went just about every other day. It was a bit pricey, but we loved shopping there.

Also, the farmers market in Queen Anne is every Thursday evening. You should come tonight and hang out and buy some quality groceries. :)

:cool:

I go on vacation and don't check OKC Talk for 10 days and you've moved to Seattle?!

We've been gone like 4 months, dude! :D

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/37737-okc2sea-big-move.html

easternobserver
08-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane is convenient for groceries after work, but the selection in meat and produce is really declining. The RRR ground beef is good quality, though it spoils quickly. Usually a trip to Crest at 104th and May once a month for a big shopping trip. Target in MWC for odds and ends, usually when I'm getting a prescription. Having groceries there is convienent, but the selection is very slim. Sprouts for a fun trip, but I never come home with much of meals, usually just hummus (Cedars Homos is very good), Jolly Llama frozen fruit pops and novelty beverages and organic bananas. I find the meat at Sprouts to be awful. I've pretty much given up on Whole Foods. All summer, Chef'store had prime outside skirt steaks for 6.99 a pound in 4 pound cryovac packages....they were incredible....I was buying a lot.

Right now the freezer is pretty bare of meat. Crest has been most reliable selection and quality wise. I'm wishing for a trip to Central Market but it's a hike....l

Brett
08-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Most of the time: Aldi, Wal-Mart
Some of the time: Sam's Club, Sprouts
Once in a while: Crest, Whole Foods

Reading all of the responses and I'm surprised how popular Sprouts has become. I remember when Sprouts first came to town and was picketed by by union workers. The Sprouts grand opening was so popular that customers were parking at French Market mall and crossing NW 63rd St just to shop.

zachj7
08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
I shop mostly at Crest and also frequent Sprouts. Sometimes I swing by Whole Foods if in the area. I try my best to avoid Walmart and Homeland.

warreng88
08-29-2014, 09:34 AM
I really love seeing a lot of people on here going to Crest and Sprout's versus Wal-Mart, Sam's, Target and other national grocery chains I hate.

oklip955
08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
I really love seeing a lot of people on here going to Crest and Sprout's versus Wal-Mart, Sam's, Target and other national grocery chains I hate.

I shop Sprouts, not a fan of Walmart, what ever I want at Walmart they are usually out. Target is just not appealing to me.

OKCinsomniac
08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
90% Homeland (May and Britton)
10% Sprouts

Moving downtown soon ( :) ), so I expect to be shifting a healthy portion to Native Roots...

Mastermind
08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
When my family first moved to OKC a few years ago, we relied solely on Aldi.
Nowadays we begrudgingly go to Sam's Club for essentials, Chinatown and Terry Market for Asian items, and occasionally stop by Aldi for random stuff.
And I also need to add Restaurant Depot since we obtained a membership card and can buy food tax-free! :D

OKCDrummer77
08-29-2014, 07:00 PM
We spread the love around -- Whole Foods, Sprouts, Crest & Aldi for the most part. Wal-Mart if we HAAAVE to. We've been to the Uptown in Edmond and eagerly await the one on May (just around the corner from work for me).

We were in Dallas last month and stumbled upon a newly-opened WinCo in suburban Duncanville. It made us really look forward to having them here.

JohnH_in_OKC
08-31-2014, 05:25 PM
I go to Aldi at least once a week. I go to Walmart several times a week to walk (and shop). They have the best selection of sugar-free items than any other (non-health food) grocery store I've ever seen. Walmart is the only store in town that carries Hood chocolate milk (which is VERY low sugar). I also go to Buy for Less at least once a week. Dollar Tree has some very good food bargains for just $1.00 (especially frozen fruit like their blueberries and loaves of 100% wheat & multi-grain bread).

When WinCo builds its store at 39th & Hefner Parkway, I'll be there often. I can walk in their store & it's a fun store to shop.

You may have assumed I'm diabetic. You've assumed correctly. -- John

Mel
08-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Wal Mart, Sams for non perishable, Crest at 104th and S. May and for a few items and the scenery Whole Foods.

Debzkidz
09-01-2014, 08:25 AM
In Edmond, I prefer to shop at Crest but I don't often make it there, because it's on the other side of town from me. Because the Homeland on Bryant & Danforth is between home and work, too often I will just stop there, even though I hate that place. It's like shopping in a giant 7-11. I also will go to Walmart on I-35 for things like pasta, cereal etc. I do not usually buy meats for produce there though. On weekends I will sometimes go to Uptown but their selection is somewhat limited, and their prices are often too high. Went there yesterday and my first stop was the deli. They were out of any kind of salami. What? I took that as a bad sign, and turned around and walked out. Drove to Crest and got everything I needed.

There are certain things I always buy at Sam's Club, like coffee, but I don't do all my shopping there. Buying in bulk doesn't usually work for us. I don't have storage space for multi-packs of things.

easternobserver
09-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Went to Central Market. Had other business down there, and timed it so I could shop and then head on home. Got enough meat for two months of "fun" meals.....all choice and prime cuts that are hard to find here, all at prices per pound that I am seeing for ungraded meat at Honeland. highlights were some Hangar steaks, which I've never seen in the metro, a ton of flap meat (my favorite grill cut), some lamb London broil, beef short ribs, and some prime top sirloins (at 12.99 a pound). Packed it in a soft sided cooler with some free ice and it made it home just fine. Also spent some time in the gorgeous produce section, where my little guy tried about ten new fruits, and in huge bakery where he tried new breads. I don't think we have the critical mass to support a store like this, but HEB would make my day if they would give it a try.....