View Full Version : Food/drink at the Zoo Amphitheatre?

TheTravellers
08-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Didn't really seem to fit in Restaurants or Arts & Entertainment...

Going to the Jeff Beck/ZZ Top show Friday, and wondering if anybody knows what the food/drink situation is at the Zoo Amp now that it's changed hands? Been there many times over the past 30 years, but only once since 2009 for the Hallowe'en Lips show last year, never ate there, but had drinks. Most of the drink shacks are 3.2-goat-**** beer, but there were a couple that had hard liquor/wine. Since it's got new owners and they've apparently made some changes, just wondering if hard liquor/wine are still available and what kind of food there is (I suspect nachos and hot dogs are the best we'll get, but the wife was thinking about eating there)?

rlewis
08-19-2014, 09:29 PM
There are 4 full-fledged bars that serve just about any type of liquor you would want. The bars that have the decks attached to them (to the left and the right of the stage) have the most variety, but the one on the north side is restricted to VIPs. If you look closely, each of the bars has a number painted on the side of the building--#1, #3, #5, and #8 all serve wine and liquor. As far as beer is concerned, they don't serve high-point beer. Also, I believe that the ZZTop show is a pour-only show (so no bottles for sale--I guess the band had some bad experiences in the past).

The food options are pretty diversified. It's not healthy food, but it's better than you would expect at a concert. They had several food trucks parked inside the facility at the concert that I went to a couple of weeks ago. There was a Bricktown Brewery food truck that was selling burgers and other similar items, a seafood themed food truck, and another place that was selling Mexican food (which I heard was really good--and it's not just nachos).

TheTravellers
08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Sounds like it's better than it used to be, thanks very much for the info! We tend to do mixed drinks and wine at shows, less time in restroom lines that way, so no high-point beer isn't a problem...

RadicalModerate
08-20-2014, 11:32 PM
The last concert that I attended at the Zoo Amphitheater involved an old fogey from Minnesota and his band of travelling "will buries" in August in the midst of a Toad Stranglin' rainstorm without even umbrellas. Former kinsmen biker doofuses were providing "security" at the entrances by demanding the relinquishing of all umbrellas.

Does the new management of the venue have more flexibility in this regard?

Or is it, simply, another version of the state fair hype without livestock?
And even more annoyance? =)

For real: You had to be there. It was like Woodstock without the mud. Except trying to get out of the parking area.

RadicalModerate
08-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Didn't really seem to fit in Restaurants or Arts & Entertainment...

Going to the Jeff Beck/ZZ Top show Friday, and wondering if anybody knows what the food/drink situation is at the Zoo Amp now that it's changed hands? Been there many times over the past 30 years, but only once since 2009 for the Hallowe'en Lips show last year, never ate there, but had drinks. Most of the drink shacks are 3.2-goat-**** beer, but there were a couple that had hard liquor/wine. Since it's got new owners and they've apparently made some changes, just wondering if hard liquor/wine are still available and what kind of food there is (I suspect nachos and hot dogs are the best we'll get, but the wife was thinking about eating there)?

With Jeff Beck and ZZTopp on the menu . . . . it is difficult to even begin to imagine thinking about food . . . =)
(ain't it? . . . how much satisfaction does one need? =)

Whatever you do, don't boil up a bunch of wieners at home, cram them into a thermos, smuggle in some buns in a girlfriend's purse (along with proper condiments) on account of it just ain't rite t' do that. After all: It IS The Zoo Amphitheater. It ain't Red Rocks.

(nor even the fabled 89ers Ballpark next to the Fairgrounds o' yesteryear =)

TheTravellers
08-21-2014, 09:31 AM
With Jeff Beck and ZZTopp on the menu . . . . it is difficult to even begin to imagine thinking about food . . . =)
(ain't it? . . . how much satisfaction does one need? =)

Whatever you do, don't boil up a bunch of wieners at home, cram them into a thermos, smuggle in some buns in a girlfriend's purse (along with proper condiments) on account of it just ain't rite t' do that. After all: It IS The Zoo Amphitheater. It ain't Red Rocks.

(nor even the fabled 89ers Ballpark next to the Fairgrounds o' yesteryear =)

Can't enjoy the music on an empty stomach, man.... Gotta have it filled with food *and* drink.

Glad it's gonna be sunny tomorrow, I think the umbrella policy's been that way forever, I can remember seeing The Talking Heads and Joe "King" Carrasco in the rain (it stopped during Joe's set, I believe) and just being wet...