View Full Version : Council wants to close the gap on Norman's missed sales tax opportunities

Questor
08-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Here's the article:

Council wants to close the gap on Norman's missed sales tax opportunities » Headlines » The Norman Transcript (http://www.normantranscript.com/headlines/x1926573922/Council-wants-to-close-the-gap-on-Normans-missed-sales-tax-opportunities)

A few interesting observations... Many of the folks who protested the apartment complexes on the west side begged for more retail instead, especially along Tecumseh. It is interesting that this study recommends creating areas of focus for new retail opportunities, including exactly that part of town. It's a shame the council was unwilling to listen to over 1,000 of its constituents in the past; perhaps this one voice will have more impact since it couches things in terms of tax revenue.

I'm glad to see so many areas of interest identified west of I-35. The city is leaving too much money on the table in that part of town. Also glad that there's a balance here with 50% of those areas being east and 50% west.

It's interesting to me that the study mentions a need for more grocery stores, and mentions that a top-requested business in surveys was Traders Joes (which I believe) but there is no mention of Whole Foods in the article at all. I find that odd; while anecdotal, it was the most-requested business on that survey of all the people I know. If that was the case then I wonder why no mention here?

I was pleasantly surprised to see mention of Pappadeax in that list.

Glad to see the study pointing out a need to look into incentives.

Shocked that a study had to recommend that our city planning commission should identify sites and market them to specific retailers.

kevinpate
08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
exactly that part of town?

The objectors to the higher end apartments fought apartments that were approved for the lot south of Tecumseh and west of 36th.

The article references beefing up retail opportunities along the I-35 corridor north of Tecumseh. Immediately north of Tecumseh from west of 36th to N Flood has been largely filled with churches, offices, soon to be apartments and some retail now for a spell, though there is room for improvement on northward. While going north does appear to the exactly the area identified in the study, that was not the area focused on by the objectors.

Perhaps my memory fades. It's been known to happen.