View Full Version : Urban Outfitters

Pete
08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/urban-outfitters-to-open-in-tulsa-next-year/article_ded3d7be-f5c9-5a5e-8e92-cb61abfb80fc.html

Urban Outfitters is bringing its stylish brand to Tulsa with the opening next year of a store at 3340 S. Peoria Ave.

The two-story, 9,000-square-foot store, scheduled to open in mid-February 2015

Bodes well for an OKC location.

Still think they'll end up in Glimcher's project at 63rd & Western.

Swake
08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
It's supposed to go in at 32nd and Peoria in Brookside.

gopokes88
08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
This would be so cool in 2008.

betts
08-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Agree. UO needs to change direction a bit.

PhiAlpha
08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/urban-outfitters-to-open-in-tulsa-next-year/article_ded3d7be-f5c9-5a5e-8e92-cb61abfb80fc.html

Bodes well for an OKC location.

Still think they'll end up in Glimcher's project at 63rd & Western.

Seems like it would fit pretty well in uptown too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adaniel
08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

OKC hipsters seems pretty dedicated to Blue Seven. Would UO compete well with them?

Rover
08-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah, why doesn't Blue Seven open in AA? Seems like a fit. More than N. May, at least.

gopokes88
08-01-2014, 05:06 PM
OKC hipsters seems pretty dedicated to Blue Seven. Would UO compete well with them?

Urban Outfitters Profit Falls 20% (http://m.nasdaq.com/article/urban-outfitters-profit-falls-20-20140519-00984)

My comment was somewhat serious. UO has peaked and is in somewhat decline. Not going to go bankrupt or anything but not growing either. I'm not saying we should be mad they are coming but we are getting this when their popularity is falling not rising. A true hipster wouldn't even go inside an UO. A corporate guy with money dressing like a hipster goes to UO.

shawnw
08-05-2014, 07:36 AM
I'm no hipster, and don't consider myself remotely fashionable, so take this for the little it's probably worth. But the one time I went into a UO my reaction was, "who would even wear this stuff?"

That said, I still hope we get one. But yeah I would speculate it's going into Classen Curve if so.

I like the idea of a Blue 7 in AA though. I took my sister from NYC there when she was here and she loved it and I'm certain other tourists downtown would as well. But then again she might be crazy because she bought an $80 OKC ball cap. I love that place and this town and my sister (and am glad she put that NYC-earned money into the OKC economy), but an $80 ball cap? Ouch!

betts
08-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Blue 7 in AA would be great! Or the Plaza District. I once thought UO could be a good Broadway store but now I really like the idea of a totally local shopping experience there. I don't go to Blue 7 much now because I rarely go to May Ave.

Spartan
08-05-2014, 12:42 PM
In Ohio, UO and Anthro always follow eachother. Tulsa appears to be following the same pattern. UO is going to N Western and 63rd - it will at least be the same proximity as Brookside-to-Utica Square.

BDP
08-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Blue 7 in AA would be great! Or the Plaza District. I once thought UO could be a good Broadway store but now I really like the idea of a totally local shopping experience there. I don't go to Blue 7 much now because I rarely go to May Ave.

Agree. UO is kinda done. Blue 7 carries enough local fare that it will always be relevant and you don't end up looking like a catalog.

BG918
08-05-2014, 02:53 PM
In Ohio, UO and Anthro always follow eachother. Tulsa appears to be following the same pattern. UO is going to N Western and 63rd - it will at least be the same proximity as Brookside-to-Utica Square.

Brookside has become more of a retail destination in recent years, and somewhat declined as a nightlife spot as new places opened in Brady and Blue Dome downtown. Brookside is probably the most walkable area outside of downtown though, at least right around 33rd-36th & Peoria. Still lots of work to be done on the south end toward 41st, similar to the challenges of Western toward 50th in OKC. Western and Peoria share many of the same characteristics.

Plutonic Panda
08-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Betts, I hope you understand that all "chains" were local at one point or another. Just because a store gets successful and expands doesn't mean it is bad.

Spartan
08-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Agreed. I don't think we think big enough with Western Ave (I mean hell, the OKC/Edmond residents who work at ODOT are ending it in a cul-de-sac downtown). Brookside is absolutely what we should be looking at.

betts
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Betts, I hope you understand that all "chains" were local at one point or another. Just because a store gets successful and expands doesn't mean it is bad.

Of course I understand that. I like chains that offer something we don't have here. I think West Elm will be good. I would like a Restoration Hardware and CB2. Crate and Barrel I care less about because it's less original. But I think its nice to have areas without chains, especially close to downtown. When I'm visiting other cities, I particularly like the areas that have stores that are one of a kind, that I've never seen before. I'd like Auto Alley to be one of those places.

Plutonic Panda
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Of course I understand that. I like chains that offer something we don't have here. I think West Elm will be good. I would like a Restoration Hardware and CB2. Crate and Barrel I care less about because it's less original. But I think its nice to have areas without chains, especially close to downtown. When I'm visiting other cities, I particularly like the areas that have stores that are one of a kind, that I've never seen before. I'd like Auto Alley to be one of those places.
I hear you

BG918
02-18-2015, 10:56 AM
The Brookside store opens tomorrow Feb 19. They did a nice write up of places to check out in Tulsa. Urban Outfitters - Blog - UO Guide: Tulsa, Oklahoma (http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/blog/uo_guide_tulsa_oklahoma?cm_re=BLOG-_-POSITION1-_-uo_guide_tulsa_oklahoma)

borchard
02-18-2015, 11:01 AM

I for sure don't want to see downtown turn into a strip mall of small, unoriginal chain stores. BUT, I do think a major, unique national brand ALONGSIDE all of the one-of-a-kind boutique stores you now see in AA would be outstanding. Not only for me as a consumer, but also for those boutique stores in the same general area.

AP
02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
The Brookside store opens tomorrow Feb 19. They did a nice write up of places to check out in Tulsa. Urban Outfitters - Blog - UO Guide: Tulsa, Oklahoma (http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/blog/uo_guide_tulsa_oklahoma?cm_re=BLOG-_-POSITION1-_-uo_guide_tulsa_oklahoma)

My friend actually wrote that for them.

betts
02-18-2015, 01:44 PM
I think Urban Outfitters would do well downtown, although I'm not sure there's currently a big enough space for them on AA or elsewhere. I remember years back I probably posted on this thread that the real estate person for Urban Outfitters in this district, told my daughter they were looking both downtown and on Western, as well as considering Penn Square. At the time, they preferred a freestanding location with a "grittier" feel, she told my daughter. The districts were redrawn as they added stores, and so the real estate person changed and I heard no more news.

While it's a chain, it feels less like one than, for example, a GAP, and so it wouldn't be as glaring a difference between it and local stores. We'll get one eventually since they were looking hard pre-2008.

bchris02
02-18-2015, 02:33 PM
While it's a chain, it feels less like one than, for example, a GAP, and so it wouldn't be as glaring a difference between it and local stores. We'll get one eventually since they were looking hard pre-2008.

It would have been a much bigger deal if they would have entered the market pre-2008. Urban Outfitters is really past their peak at this point. It's like a market getting their first Hollister in 2007. It was still relevant at that point but it was on its way out.

Charlotte's location is in Southpark Mall, which is a very upscale mall ala NorthPark in Dallas, so its not like they are completely opposed to mall locations. If they are interested in OKC their best bet is to just go into Penn Square or Glimcher.

stlokc
02-18-2015, 02:53 PM
To echo Betts and BChris, it's really kind of funny.

When I first started visiting this site and when the first Urban Outfitters rumors started, I thought "Wow, that would be great for OKC." Now, it's been so long and the world has changed so much that I don't even hear about Urban Outfitters anymore. I was in Knoxville, TN last year with a friend and they had one in their downtown area. She started laughing and said "Remember when that was cool? We certainly don't need to waste any time going in there when there are local places to check out."

betts
02-19-2015, 03:01 PM
The Factory on Broadway is way cooler than Urban Outfitters could ever hope to be.

sooner88
02-19-2015, 03:15 PM
The Factory on Broadway is way cooler than Urban Outfitters could ever hope to be.

And with places like Plenty and the multiple furniture stores/t-shirt companies in the area I don't think that there is a need for an Urban Outfitters. If anything, I would much rather see a Blue 7 come in vs UO.

Pete
02-19-2015, 04:11 PM
I remember going to the one that opened in Santa Monica in the 90's.

Don't think I've been in one since.

NWOKCGuy
02-19-2015, 04:20 PM
I love UO when I was 18. The store on Guadalupe in Austin was great. Haven't been to once since I was about 25 though back in 06.

Mr. Cotter
02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Interesting. I liked Urban Outfitters 15 years ago when I was in high school, but I don't hear about at all anymore. I'm way outside their target demographic now, so I wasn't sure if it's just that I became "the man," or if the kids have moved on.

NWOKCGuy
02-20-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm sure it still has its place for the late teen/early 20s market. I know my younger sister bought a bunch of stuff for her first apartment from there a few years back.

adaniel
02-20-2015, 09:09 AM
UO has been going downhill for some time.

Urban Outfitters loses its fashion groove - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/urban-outfitters-loses-its-fashion-groove/)

It doesn't help that they've tried to boost sales by ginning up controversy. They've pretty much offended every group out there. I remember when they tried to sell Kent State sweatshirts with fake blood stains on it or the "Ghettopoly" board game...classy.

Retailers that try to cater to teens like UO, Abecrombie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, etc. are all doing poorly right now. While I personally would never shop at them, I think American Apparel and H&M are more in tune with older millennial customers.

A cynical part of me believes they are only now trying to expand in smaller markets as a survival strategy, not out of any respect toward the Tulsa/OKC market.

BDP
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
A cynical part of me believes they are only now trying to expand in smaller markets as a survival strategy, not out of any respect toward the Tulsa/OKC market.

It may be cynical, but it is accurate. You will see that a lot with national retailers on the back end of their life cycle. To maintain volumes or make up for their decline in their core markets, they have to open more doors just to look viable going forward. That means new markets to avoid saturating the already declining ones. In UO's case, its intended demographic basically views it as "that place my parents used to shop". It also seems that, among that age group, local and independent stores are more of a draw than they used to be, which eats into their market share across the board.

bchris02
02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
In UO's case, its intended demographic basically views it as "that place my parents used to shop". It also seems that, among that age group, local and independent stores are more of a draw than they used to be, which eats into their market share across the board.

I don't think Urban Outfitters is quite to that point yet, though it won't be too many more years before that will be Abercrombie & Fitch. What you say is true though. Usually fad retailers start moving into small markets once past their peak, at least in terms of trendiness. RIght now is particularly troublesome for teen retail chains being that local and unique is in and brand logos are not.

shawnw
02-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Not a UO fan. Agreed with Blue7 downtown. Yes please.

bchris02
11-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Does anybody know of Urban Outfitters is still interested in OKC? There was speculation that it would go into the Glimcher/Classen Curve development but that was years ago. The brand seems to have had a resurgence in recent years and is currently one of the most popular clothing stores with Millennial shoppers.

Pete
11-14-2018, 10:17 AM
I haven't heard anything about them in quite a while.

TeeDub2
11-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Man I would love for an Urban to come to OKC. I stop by the one in Tulsa every time I'm in town.

Pete
06-25-2022, 06:31 AM
International retailer Urban Outfitters has been scouting locations in OKC for a while and has filed plans to move forward with a new store in Penn Square Mall.

Urban Outfitters promotes itself as a lifestyle company specializing in clothing, accessories and apartment products. Headquartered in Philadephia, UO has 250 stores in the U.S. and Europe.

Construction should start by the end of summer.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uo7.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uo1.jpg

chssooner
06-25-2022, 07:09 AM
2007 me would have loved this, and I always wondered why we couldn't get a store. I am sure it will do well there!

Pete
06-25-2022, 07:11 AM
They have evolved and continue to bring in lots of business.

I know they looked at the other big retail locations in OKC: Chisholm Creek, Classen Curve and probably Oak.

But Simon has them in many of their malls and no doubt made them a great deal. Will be a really good fit for Penn Square.

mgharfeh
06-25-2022, 07:21 AM
Is Chisholm creek ever going to get retail?

Pete
06-25-2022, 07:43 AM
Is Chisholm creek ever going to get retail?

Eventually.

I believe their next big thing will be a nice hotel.

progressiveboy
06-25-2022, 09:25 AM
I know that Lawrence Kansas and Tulsa have had a UO presence for many years. I shopped at the North Park Mall in Dallas many years ago, however it no longer fits my demographic age, lol. It seems it has added to their offerings and merchandising products and is reinventing itself.

Bowser214
06-25-2022, 09:57 AM
FINALLY! Another H&M would go well in PSM. (also too young for me but brand recognition)

Mississippi Blues
06-25-2022, 11:31 AM
^I agree, I would love an H&M at Penn Square. As is, it’s the only reason my wife and I go to Quail Springs. Otherwise, Penn Square is around 2 miles from our house so we do any other shopping there yet H&M is still one of the top stores we visit.

I think UO will be a good fit. I know they aren’t viewed the way they once were but I still like them and can see myself stopping here fairly often when at PS. Another store that I would like to see come is Zara.

OKCbyTRANSFER
06-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Back in Philly, I had an UO near my little apt in Univ City. I loved that store but alas, 30 years ago I could not afford it. Now I can, but just not my age range. LoL
Same with H&M

Pete
05-31-2023, 06:12 PM
Work has started on Urban Outfitters at Penn Square:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uo053123a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uo053123b.jpg

Pete
10-25-2023, 07:40 AM
The UO website says this store will open in March of 2024.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/uo102523a.jpg

Pete
03-14-2024, 07:56 AM
Urban Outfitters is now open in Penn Square:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/urbanoutfitters031424a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/urbanoutfitters031424b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/urbanoutfitters031424c.jpg

bison34
03-14-2024, 08:03 AM
2005 me would be all over that! I'll definitely still check it out, though.

OkieBerto
03-14-2024, 09:12 AM
2005 me would be all over that! I'll definitely still check it out, though.

I second this remark!