View Full Version : Restaurants in your regular rotation

Pages : 1 [2]

Roger S
11-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Thank you for the heads up. You have my word I will drive safely when going to these places. I trust your judgment on this!

Hwy 77 is a nice drive south. Since I am in Ardmore most weekends I generally take it more often than I-35 just to break up the monotony of interstate travel.... Not to mention I-35 from Purcell to Wynnewood has been one big traffic delay due to construction all summer.

Definitely watch your speed because I almost always see law enforcement. Had a motorcycle pass me just outside Paoli a few weeks ago just as a trooper came around the corner..... Pretty sure I got to Paoli way quicker, and cheaper, by doing the speed limit.

AnguisHerba
11-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Love seeing these lists.

My rotation is:
-Chick N Beer (esp. $4 Mondays!)
-Gia Gia Vietnamese Restaurant
-Hatch
-Taqueria Sanchez
-The Mule

Pete
11-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Yes, seeing these lists from people passionate about OKC and food helps to remind there tons of great places that you either need to try or tend to forget about.

AnguisHerba
11-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Any hidden gems in towns like Purcell, Paul’s Valley, or other areas along I-35 you know about?

I recently went all the way out to Krebs with a friend to eat at Pete's Place. He had fond memories of it from growing up out that way. I was very underwhelmed. You can get better Italian food in OKC...at better prices, too. That combined with the drop in quality I've seen at Meers burgers makes me think the days of those hidden gems might be fading.

Roger S
11-16-2017, 08:48 AM
That combined with the drop in quality I've seen at Meers burgers makes me think the days of those hidden gems might be fading.

They are still out there but just like finding real gems... You gotta hunt for them..... There is a little hole in the wall in Healdton called Grasshopper Junction that makes the best pan gravy I've ever eaten.... Everything else there is just good but that gravy is worth driving to Healdton for... I ask for an IV drip of it when I make it there.

There is another in Colbert called Williams Old Style BBQ... It's a shack that just serves average meat at best but they make a sauce that is unique to the Eastern Texoma area that I would put on road kill and eat it... It's that freaking good!

Tiffany's in Noble, right across the street from Kendall's is another one... I've never been there for lunch but will drive out there once or twice a year just to eat breakfast.

jccouger
11-16-2017, 08:58 AM
HAHA... Might be easier to list the ones I don't like... Much shorter list!

Edmond:
Muu Shabu
The Heat (Formerly known as Humble Pie)
Texlahoma

Norman:
The Diner
El Toro Chino
Das Boot Camp
Mama Veca's
Fantasy Chinese Cuisine
Ray's Smokehouse

Oklahoma City:
El Primo Loco
Chow's
Pho Lien Hoa
Slaughters Hall
Hugo's Taquizas
Nic's Grill
Family Affair
Bistro 38
Tamashii
Chae
Paseo Grill
Jones Assembly
Sherri's Diner
Texas de Brazil
The Flying Pig
George's Happy Hog
Maple's Barbecue

Yukon:
Miller Grill

Noble:
Tiffany's

I think its safe to say you have the most respected food opinion on this site. I know this is a lot of work, but my tummy & I would very much appreciate you listing your favorite dishes at ALL of these places. :-D

Timshel
11-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Recently, our regular dinner rotation has included:

-Goro;
- Chick N Beer;
- 1492;
- Picasso;
- Powerhouse;
- Hall's Pizza; and
- Jones.

Have been recently craving and need to get to: Gabriela's, Stella, Bistro 38, Rococo, and Yuzo.

Thomas Vu
11-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Love seeing these lists.

My rotation is:
-Chick N Beer (esp. $4 Mondays!)
-Gia Gia Vietnamese Restaurant
-Hatch
-Taqueria Sanchez
-The Mule

What is this $4 monday you speak of?

the drop in quality I've seen at Meers burgers makes me think the days of those hidden gems might be fading.

My friends thought I was crazy when I didn't want to eat there a week or so ago. Instead we found this other burger place, Mckenzie's, in Lawton that I thought was just about better in every way.

David
11-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Here's my current list:

Scottie's Deli
The Hideaway up on Western
Chelinos in Bricktown once or twice a month
My brother and I have hit Hopscotch a couple times but I don't know if it'll be a regular for us
Freebird's at Belle Isle

Roger S
11-16-2017, 09:28 AM
I think its safe to say you have the most respected food opinion on this site. I know this is a lot of work, but my tummy & I would very much appreciate you listing your favorite dishes at ALL of these places. :-D

HAHA... That might have to wait until after Thanksgiving.... I'm headed to Lawrence Kansas in the morning for a basketball/football weekend and then headed to the homestead in the Arbuckles for the rest of Thanksgiving week when I get back... So I'm wrapping up loose ends in the office today.

Roger S
11-16-2017, 09:30 AM
My friends thought I was crazy when I didn't want to eat there a week or so ago. Instead we found this other burger place, Mckenzie's, in Lawton that I thought was just about better in every way.

I've only been to Meer's once and was underwhelmed myself.... I did get to see a 4 year old thoroughly embarrass his parents when he proclaimed very loudly that the Meer's burger was almost as good as McDonald's.

Mott
11-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Have you tried Hank's, and 1900 Barker in Lawrence? Also new brewery in the industrial area east of Mass.

tfvc.org
11-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Loaded Bowl
Thai Delight Norman
Mamavecas
Mediterranean Imports and Deli
Qdoba
City Bites
Sandros
Red Cup
Queen of Sheba
Himalayas
Goprum
Tacos San Pedro (although not much anymore since they took away the huaraches)
Your Pie
Taste of China
Tropical Smoothie

thunderbird
11-16-2017, 03:47 PM
After looking at all these lists I must be sitting beside half of you every night. We eat out WAY more than we probably should, typically 6 nights a week for dinner and every day at lunch.

Our usual stops in no order;

Picassos
Loaded Bowl
En Croute
Empire
Goro
The Press
Revolucion
Tuckers
Jonnies, OG and Urban
Yuzo - Probably our favorite.
Republic
VZD's
Saturn Grill
Bedlam bbq
Iguana
Cultivar
coolgreens
Panang 2

TheTravellers
11-16-2017, 03:54 PM
After looking at all these lists I must be sitting beside half of you every night. We eat out WAY more than we probably should, typically 6 nights a week for dinner and every day at lunch.

Picassos
Loaded Bowl
En Croute
Empire
Goro
The Press
Revolucion
Tuckers
Jonnies, OG and Urban
Republic
VZD's
Saturn Grill
Bedlam bbq
Iguana
Cultivar
coolgreens
Panang 2

Wow, that's an insane amount of money spent on eating out! We only eat out once or twice per week total - on Fridays for lunch on our way to grocery shopping at Uptown, on Saturday afternoons, and maybe once or twice more per month. Which is why I can't really post a list 'cos we eat at too many new-to-us places and only have a few regular ones now and just not enough, period, to make a decent list. :)

Jersey Boss
11-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Wow, that's an insane amount of money spent on eating out! We only eat out once or twice per week total - on Fridays for lunch on our way to grocery shopping at Uptown, on Saturday afternoons, and maybe once or twice more per month. Which is why I can't really post a list 'cos we eat at too many new-to-us places and only have a few regular ones now and just not enough, period, to make a decent list. :)

+1

jccouger
11-17-2017, 06:58 AM

Picassos
Loaded Bowl
En Croute
Empire
Goro
The Press
Revolucion
Tuckers
Jonnies, OG and Urban
Republic
VZD's
Saturn Grill
Bedlam bbq
Iguana
Cultivar
coolgreens
Panang 2

I want your life so bad. Thank you for keeping the OKC restaurant economy afloat.

soonermike81
11-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Any hidden gems in towns like Purcell, Paul’s Valley, or other areas along I-35 you know about?

This is nowhere near I-35, but if anyone is ever in Wilburton, OK, Mexican placed called Adelita's was really good. Was driving through with the family and stopped here to get some food. Not sure if I was just really hungry, but I was kind of blown away at how good it was. Wife said there are a few locations in that part of the state.

bucktalk
11-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Hefner Grill
The Press
Hall Pizza Kitchen
Interurban
360 Restaurant
Hatch
Broadway 10

RadicalModerate
11-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Since I'm a hobby cook, we don't dine out very often but when we do it's usually at one of these places:

Casa Perico (Penn Location)
Ingrid's Kitchen (Original Location)
La Baguette
ND Foods
Johnny's Charcoal Broiler
Joey's Cafe
The Wedge
Moni's
Luby's

corwin1968
11-17-2017, 11:32 AM
They are still out there but just like finding real gems... You gotta hunt for them..... There is a little hole in the wall in Healdton called Grasshopper Junction that makes the best pan gravy I've ever eaten.... Everything else there is just good but that gravy is worth driving to Healdton for... I ask for an IV drip of it when I make it there.

There is another in Colbert called Williams Old Style BBQ... It's a shack that just serves average meat at best but they make a sauce that is unique to the Eastern Texoma area that I would put on road kill and eat it... It's that freaking good!

Tiffany's in Noble, right across the street from Kendall's is another one... I've never been there for lunch but will drive out there once or twice a year just to eat breakfast.

We've been pretty happy with Roma's in Guthrie. It's owned by two brothers from Italy.

AnguisHerba
11-17-2017, 12:02 PM
What is this $4 monday you speak of?

On Mondays at Chick N Beer, all sets of wings are $4 and draft beers are $4.

Thomas Vu
11-18-2017, 08:21 AM
On Mondays at Chick N Beer, all sets of wings are $4 and draft beers are $4.

Maybe this will be in my Monday rotation now. THanks!

sooner88
11-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Maybe this will be in my Monday rotation now. THanks!
A couple Monday's ago they were also doing a free raffle. They handed out raffle tickets and called a number each time a foul occurred. Each winner won cash (not sure how much). First time I had seen that before, but the whole place was in to it. Food was good and place was packed with a mix of OCU students and all mixes. This place flies under my radar, but i need to put it into the rotation. The gochujang wings are some of my favorite.

Pete
11-18-2017, 08:30 AM
A couple Monday's ago they were also doing a free raffle. They handed out raffle tickets and called a number each time a foul occurred. Each winner won cash (not sure how much). First time I had seen that before, but the whole place was in to it. Food was good and place was packed with a mix of OCU students and all mixes. This place flies under my radar, but i need to put it into the rotation. The gochujang wings are some of my favorite.

I believe that is in conjunction with a remote broadcast by The Franchise.

sooner88
11-18-2017, 09:04 AM
I believe that is in conjunction with a remote broadcast by The Franchise.

Ok makes sense. He had some equipment setup, but we weren't sure which station he was with.

Dustin
11-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Colin Farrell was on Jimmy Kimmel's show the other day and said Nics Grill had the best burger he's ever had. I wish I was able to keep them in my regular rotation, but I don't always feel like waiting in a line for a burger. Nice to see an Oklahoma City establishment get some national recognition!

Roger S
11-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Colin Farrell was on Jimmy Kimmel's show the other day and said Nics Grill had the best burger he's ever had. I wish I was able to keep them in my regular rotation, but I don't always feel like waiting in a line for a burger. Nice to see an Oklahoma City establishment get some national recognition!

Go on inclement/cold weather days. I walked right in and took a seat right in front of the grill Wednesday.

TheTravellers
11-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Since they're open on Saturdays until 8 PM now, there might not be a line on Sat afternoons. We haven't been in the mood for a big-a** burger recently, so we haven't been on Sat yet, not sure if there still is a line then...

soonermike81
11-18-2017, 05:45 PM

What's cool was that he said this once already on Jay Leno several years back. To hear him reiterate it was pretty awesome.

bucktalk
11-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Going to add McClintock to my rotation due to the great service/food I received yesterday.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
11-19-2017, 01:13 PM
My downtown lunch rotation is:

Nebu - I always get the salmon from the fish station
Richie's Grill in Oklahoma Tower - double cheeseburger, no fries
Urban Taco - pork tacos or pork quesadilla
Thai Kitchen - lunch buffet
Hobby's Hoagies - always the reuben

Can we talk about weekend brunch-everytime I go and everywhere I go there is a line! I'm usually a 10-ish AM bruncher, are the lines so long earlier or later? maybe that is the trick!

Thomas Vu
11-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Nebu, that's an underrated place. Although you wouldn't know it was there unless you worked in a building close to Devon.

Roger S
11-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Have you tried Hank's, and 1900 Barker in Lawrence? Also new brewery in the industrial area east of Mass.

Saw Hank's while I was there but did not have a chance to try it. We did hit the Free States brewery on the north end of Massachusetts Street and tried several of the beers there..... Massachusetts Street is pretty incredible.

About all we did was walk, watch sports, and drink, while we were there.... It's rare that I go on a trip and lose weight but I came back 1 1/2 lbs lighter after this weekend.

u50254082
12-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Nebu, that's an underrated place. Although you wouldn't know it was there unless you worked in a building close to Devon.

That makes me wonder if they even advertise it as open to the public (if such attention is desired).

When I worked downtown, it was in my group's regular lunch rotation but we only knew about it because we knew people who worked at Devon.

Wishbone
04-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Patty Wagon
Fuzzys
Pie 5
Jersey Mikes(free chips and drink on wed.)
Green Chili Kitchen
Leos Bbq
The Garage
Raising Canes

Mott
04-18-2018, 08:22 AM
That makes me wonder if they even advertise it as open to the public (if such attention is desired).

When I worked downtown, it was in my group's regular lunch rotation but we only knew about it because we knew people who worked at Devon.

Unfortunately, Nebu has gone downhill, when it first opened it seemed like you might be in an European airport food mall, but now it’s only average. Either the management lost interest, or the public wasn’t able to support their efforts. Too bad because it was quite good and worth the trip for lunch.