View Full Version : NW 23rd & Meridian Intersection redo

Larry OKC
07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
That intersection has had various lane closers etc while they reworked the intersection with new crosswalks and a circular design in the middle (not sure what other improvements were made). it was torn up for weeks (if not months). The last time I was through there (last weekend), all signs of construction were gone and all lanes back open (only remaining issue was the blinking red 4-way stop signals). Noticed that they only completed 3/4 of the intersection. Does anyone know why they stopped as if they were finished?

Plutonic Panda
07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
That is nice they are doing this, but why did they not do this closer to the core? It makes no sense to widen and redo streets before the ones closer to the core that are in disrepair.

krisb
07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
This is a part of the NW 23rd Streetscape project from the 2007 bond issue. The streets are not being widened, just resurfaced with sidewalks added on both sides. They will finish the rest of the intersection when they come back around to finish the sidewalks on the north side of 23rd between Meridian and Ann Arbor. That intersection has been difficult to navigate for a few months, so it makes sense to give it a break while they are doing other work on the project. The project also includes lighting and landscaping enhancements. 23rd Street has already been redone from I-44 to I-35, this is the last section and will greatly enhance the area. For more info about the streetscape and for updates visit The Windsor District (http://www.thewindsordistrict.org).

OKCDrummer77
07-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I've been wondering that as well. I live in the area and have been avoiding that intersection when possible during the construction. Even now, it's not very easy as people don't know how to navigate a busy intersection that is effectively a 4-way stop. Good to know that it is going to be finished because it looks rather strange with 1/4 of the intersection clearly untouched.

Larry OKC
07-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Krisb: thanks for the info. Seems it would make more since to complete the intersection while you were there instead of only doing 3/4 of it. I gather that since they removed everything from it (as if they were finished), it is going to be quite a while before they come back. (Tried the link you gave but have an older computer and the page never loaded, will try again from work on Monday)

soonerguru
07-27-2014, 11:20 AM
That intersection has had various lane closers etc while they reworked the intersection with new crosswalks and a circular design in the middle (not sure what other improvements were made). it was torn up for weeks (if not months). The last time I was through there (last weekend), all signs of construction were gone and all lanes back open (only remaining issue was the blinking red 4-way stop signals). Noticed that they only completed 3/4 of the intersection. Does anyone know why they stopped as if they were finished?

Because this city is incomprehensible. I have asked knowledgeable people and no one knows anything. There are many other things associated with this project that are subpar. Not getting any support from our councilman, either. The implied response is, "Shut up and be grateful the city is doing anything over here."

They have hired a terrible contractor who is doing a subpar job.

ON EDIT: krisb, thank you for providing more context. I wish someone would have explained it to me that way you did. Still not happy with the work this contractor has done so far.

bradh
07-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Who is the contractor on this one?

soonerguru
07-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't know. I'm guessing it's information that could be obtained at City Hall.

gjl
07-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Does this have anything to do with 23rd and Ann Arbor being all torn up too? It is torn up way more than just sidewalks would require. I would hate to be the owner of the convenience store and liquor store on that corner. It has to really impacting their business. Probably hurting the business in the SW corner too.

krisb
07-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes, it's a streetscape project so the entire street and intersections are being redone in addition to the sidewalks and other amenities.

OKCisOK4me
07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
That is nice they are doing this, but why did they not do this closer to the core? It makes no sense to widen and redo streets before the ones closer to the core that are in disrepair.
PluPan, I used to work over there. NW 23rd is one of the worst streets anywhere in the city and it has been needing to be redone for a very long time. This work from Tulsa to Ann Arbor is part of Phase I work, Phase II will be between Tulsa and I-44 when the time comes so that 23rd will be a nice corridor from the state capital, westward.

As for the intersection, it is part of Phase I work associated with the Windsor Hills District. There was quite a gap between the first quarter section and the second so it's just part of their schedule.

Bullbear
07-28-2014, 01:41 PM
PluPan, I used to work over there. NW 23rd is one of the worst streets anywhere in the city and it has been needing to be redone for a very long time. This work from Tulsa to Ann Arbor is part of Phase I work, Phase II will be between Tulsa and I-44 when the time comes so that 23rd will be a nice corridor from the state capital, westward.

As for the intersection, it is part of Phase I work associated with the Windsor Hills District. There was quite a gap between the first quarter section and the second so it's just part of their schedule.
you aren't kidding!. I live a few streets off 23rd in crestwood and it has needed it for so long. will be glad when this intersection is complete however since i go through it about once a week to go to the grocery store. 23rd use to be soooo bad. its gotten so much better with this project

Larry OKC
07-29-2014, 04:22 PM
krisb: the link is working from my work computer...thanks again for posting...what I am seeing from ground level doesn't look much like the rendering though???

krisb
07-29-2014, 11:07 PM
The basic design is there. There is more painting they will have to do to complete the Meridian intersection once the last quarter is resurfaced.

mburlison
09-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Agree - finally some work on 23rd - used to live on 18th Terrace back in the day - 23rd has deteriorated for many years - glad to see this work being done.

krisb
09-04-2014, 10:53 PM
The new traffic signals are working as they finish up the 23rd and Meridian intersection. Phase I of the streetscape from Tulsa to Ann Arbor will be complete in October. Phase II begins this month from Ann Arbor to Peniel. Phase III will begin next year from Tulsa back east towards I-44.