View Full Version : James Garner passed away last night

acumpton
07-20-2014, 01:59 AM
James Garner Dead -- Legendary Actor Dies at 86 | TMZ.com (http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/19/james-garner-dead-dies-maverick-rockford-files/)

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 05:55 AM
One of the BEST TV actors ever! I still enjoy watching "Rockford." RIP James Garner.

UnclePete
07-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Did James live in Harrah at one time? Years ago our neighbor said she used to babysit for him.

RadicalModerate
07-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I always liked James Garner. From Maverick to those RomComs with Doris Day to Support Your Local [WestComs] to Rockford.
He always played James Garner, but that was OK with me.

I never heard of him living in Harrah, but I know he grew up around Norman.

poe
07-20-2014, 09:27 AM
He was one of those guys who could've easily been a part of anyone's family. Loved him in "Murphy's Romance". He will be missed.

Dennis Heaton
07-20-2014, 09:48 AM
He was one of those guys who could've easily been a part of anyone's family. Loved him in "Murphy's Romance". He will be missed.

I bet getTV, ThisTV, or AntennaTV will be showing his movies next week.

ABryant
07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
I get confused with him and Lee Majors who was a poacher in ok. love the rockford files

Wambo36
07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
One of the most likable actors there ever was. He grew up in the area east of Norman, around the Pink or Stella areas. He was the same age as my father who passed 5 years ago. They bore an amazing resemblance to each other. So much so that my kids like watching The Notebook because they say it's like seeing their papa again. Sad to hear it, RIP.

kelroy55
07-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I always enjoyed his acting and he was a good man. RIP Mr Garner.

Achilleslastand
07-20-2014, 10:44 AM
RIP
Ive always loved this pic.................

Tritone
07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Enjoyed his easy, laid back style, particularly as Rockford. His statue north of the Norman train station is gradually getting covered with flowers.

Mel
07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
He seemed like a regular type of guy. Might have been his OK roots. They don't make male actors like that anymore. Another un-replaceable actor gone. Went "Okie" off this mortal coil. R.I.P. Jim.

MsProudSooner
07-21-2014, 01:50 PM
I read his biography recently. He and his brothers pretty much raised themselves in and around Norman.

SoonerDave
07-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Interesting aside....his brother used to be a urologist here in OKC, under their actual surname (Baumgarner). My uncle was one of his patients until the good dr's retirement several years ago.

Garner also did the voice-over narration for the great OU football intro videos that are played on the big scoreboard before each game. The voice that booms out "This is OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL" is Garner's.

Throckmorton
07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Interesting aside....his brother used to be a urologist here in OKC, under their actual surname (Baumgarner). My uncle was one of his patients until the good dr's retirement several years ago.

Interesting. A Dr. Baumgarner did some work on my balls back almost thirty years ago. That was probably James Garner's brother. Sweet.

kevinpate
07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
... His statue north of the Norman train station is gradually getting covered with flowers.

I haven't gone back out this afternoon, but there was a remarkable growth in such tributes from when I was first out at 7ish and when I was driving away from the local courthaus around 10:30ish

zookeeper
07-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Interesting. A Dr. Baumgarner did some work on my balls back almost thirty years ago. That was probably James Garner's brother. Sweet.

What would have been wrong with this?
"Interesting. I want to a urologist named Dr. Baumgarner back almost thirty years ago. That was probably James Garner's brother. Sweet."

But noooo....this has to be added:

"Dr. Baumgarner did some work on my balls back..."

Crass, shock value, uncultured, tasteless, tactless, call it what you want - who writes like this in a public forum? I see it too much anymore - everywhere!

rezman
07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
James Garner was a class act. He was part of a fading breed that we will never see the likes of again.

Throckmorton
07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
"Interesting. I want to a urologist named Dr. Baumgarner back almost thirty years ago. That was probably James Garner's brother. Sweet."

Crass, shock value, uncultured, tasteless, tactless, call it what you want - who writes like this in a public forum? I see it too much anymore - everywhere!

That would have been redundant. The previous post already established that Dr. Bumgarner was a urologist.

RIP Jim Rockford

Urbanized
07-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I think there is some confusion here. Neither of his brothers (both deceased) were doctors. One was an assistant superintendant for Norman Public Schools and the other was an actor and golf pro in California (who also adopted the surname Garner). Also, their given name was Bumgarner, not Baumgarner.

Throckmorton
07-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I think there is some confusion here. Neither of his brothers (both deceased) were doctors. One was an assistant superintendant for Norman Public Schools and the other was an actor and golf pro in California (who also adopted the surname Garner). Also, their given name was Bumgarner, not Baumgarner.

Well then whose brother fixed my junk?

kevinpate
07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Maybe you are in the same boat as Krazy Dave out in Lizard Lick with the fake parson.
Maybe your alleged urologist ... wasn't, and all these years ya just never knew.

Throckmorton
07-22-2014, 11:42 AM
My un-undescended testicle would seem to indicate that the urologist in question was in fact the real deal.

MadMonk
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/pvponlinenew/img/comic/2014/07/pvp20140721.jpg

RadicalModerate
07-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reminder.
When I was recovering from a motorcycle/automobile collision c. '76 (I was on the bike).
Part of my recovery involved sitting around, with my leg and arm in a cast, watching reruns of The Rockford Files on TV.
I guess I'd have to admit--in a metaphorical sense--that Bro. Garner worked on my "balls" too.

RIP: Bro. Jim.

(steer clear of Tapirs, "zookeeper" . . . and beware of the stray bicyclist . . . =)

zookeeper
07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder.
When I was recovering from a motorcycle/automobile collision c. '76 (I was on the bike).
Part of my recovery involved sitting around, with my leg and arm in a cast, watching reruns of The Rockford Files on TV.
I guess I'd have to admit--in a metaphorical sense--that Bro. Garner worked on my "balls" too.

RIP: Bro. Jim.

(steer clear of Tapirs, "zookeeper" . . . and beware of the stray bicyclist . . . =)

RadicalModerate: Okay, I have to ask again - what do you mean when you are always asking me to "steer clear" of tapirs? Stray bicyclist? (????????)

James Garner was at his best, imo, in Murphy's Romance. Also, even as a guy, I have to admit I loved The Notebook.

ctchandler
07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Zookeeper,
A few years ago, a lady (a zoo keeper) was feeding a tapir when it bit her arm and ripped it off from her shoulder, or something like that. She did lose her arm.
Sorry RM, I was reading this thread and thought I would answer the question.
C. T.
RadicalModerate: Okay, I have to ask again - what do you mean when you are always asking me to "steer clear" of tapirs? Stray bicyclist? (????????)

ljbab728
07-22-2014, 10:40 PM
My favorite memory about him will always be when I was in grade school at Wilson Elementary in Norman in the late 50's. An aunt of his was a teacher there and he visited our school in full TV costume during a trip back to Norman. He was a huge hit and all of the kids were thrilled. Another one his relatives was the principal at West Junior High School in Norman when I went there.

ljbab728
07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
ENCORE Westerns paying tribute to James Garner TODAY with "Maverick," movies | News OK (http://newsok.com/encore-westerns-paying-tribute-to-james-garner-today-with-maverick-movies/article/5078804)

codyt
07-29-2014, 12:10 PM
I really enjoyed James Garner in The Great Escape. He, along with Steve McQueen, were implanted into that story to appeal to the American audience. It's one of my favorite WWII films ever, and the true story of the film is just as fascinating.

Urbanized
07-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Plus, Steve McQueen (err...Bud Ekins) jumps a tall barbed wire fence on a Triumph, so...automatically one of the best movies of all time.

RadicalModerate
07-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Plus, Steve McQueen (err...Bud Ekins) jumps a tall barbed wire fence on a Triumph, so...automatically one of the best movies of all time.

The Great Escape ranks right up there with The Guns of Navarone in terms of exciting WWII films. However, where did Steve McQueen get a Triumph in the middle of Germany or France or Poland or wherever that POW camp was supposed to be? He stole the bike he was riding from the Germans and the Germans rode BMWs. You can't jump a fence on a BMW. In fact, if you look closely, the motorcycle in the close ups is different from the one in the long shot on which he jumped the fence. I think it was a Suzuki or a Yamaha--or maybe a Husqvarna--dirt bike. The Suzuki or Yamaha could have been on loan from that other Axis Power (Japan) and the Husqvarna could have been looted from Norway (left there by a Swedish tourist who fled the Nazi invasion on foot).

The point is . . . James [Bum]Garner was one of the best, most authentic (and loyal) characters in the film.

Excuse me, I have to go straighten up the silverware drawer and comb the fringe on the throw rugs. =)

(p.s. One of my favorite James Garner roles was the one he played in "The Wheeler Dealers"--That would be right after "Support Your Local Sheriff"/"Support Your Local Gunfighter")

Urbanized
07-30-2014, 07:47 AM
It was a disguised Trophy TR6. Specially built for the stunt. Trust me on this. And yeah, a Triumph would not have been a military-issue bike in Nazi Germany. Hence the disguise.

RadicalModerate
07-30-2014, 08:03 AM
For The Record =):
DpZQa1lI0rM