View Full Version : Weird Al Yankovic - Word Crimes (Blurred Lines)

Dustin
07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Stew
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
LAME! Give it up Al...you're time has passed.

Just the facts
07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
I like Al. I saw him in concert last year and he was great.

RadicalModerate
07-16-2014, 06:45 AM

That's Lamé . . . as in Comedy Gold Lamé.

hoya
07-16-2014, 08:02 AM

I hope this was intentional. :)

RadicalModerate
07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
I hope this was intentional. :)

Could it be that we are dealing "hear" with a Grammar NotSee?

(P.S.: As a comedy bonus--and to prove that Al's time has, indeed, long since passed--click the middle vidlink, in the right-hand column, of the selections offered, after the OP Vid finishes playing. It's a hoot. And a tribute to The Beach Boys.)

Alt. Op: Or Click This (and skip the ad at the beginning if you so desire =):
http://www.vevo.com/watch/weird-al-yankovic/pancreas/USZM20600196

OK . . . (Okay) . . . I realize that using "Or" after Alt.--in the first phrase of the last "paragraph" (immediately, above) was redundant.
So Soo Me.

CuatrodeMayo
07-16-2014, 09:17 AM
In the future, I'm going to start posting that video in reply to incoherent posts.

RadicalModerate
07-16-2014, 09:23 AM
In the future, I'm going to start posting that video in reply to incoherent posts.

Which offers further evidence that "[Mr. Yankovic's] time" may not, technically, "[have] passed."
Well . . . Don't it? At least sorta not . . ?

Even though I actually purchased the cassette tape providing the seed of this parody I can't remember the name of the band.
(and I don't care enough about wasting money on that "one hit wonder band" to even Google its name).

However: I heard this not long after that. I still remember Weird Al. =)
LMeu3R0RdqI

There are no "new" thoughts.
We are all simply compilers.
(of the mistakes and successes of the past)

Just the facts
07-16-2014, 09:48 AM
On a personal note - I actually appreciated all the people over the years who corrected my spelling and grammar - even if they tried to do it to discredit my point/argument. The trick is learning from the error and not repeating it. I have a friend who does it in real life right to the person. His favorite is when a person asks, "Where are you at?" He responds with, "Right behind the preposition.", and then explains to them the 'at' isn't necessary. It is just 'where are you'.

SoonerDave
07-16-2014, 09:56 AM

See what you did there...LOL

This is one of Weird AL's best ever. Greatness.

SoonerDave
07-16-2014, 10:02 AM
On a personal note - I actually appreciated all the people over the years who corrected my spelling and grammar - even if they tried to do it to discredit my point/argument. The trick is learning from the error and not repeating it. I have a friend who does it in real life right to the person. His favorite is when a person asks, "Where are you at?" He responds with, "Right behind the preposition.", and then explains to them the 'at' isn't necessary. It is just 'where are you'.

It is almost impossible these days to find a way to correct someone's grammar without a spiral of righteous indignation. That's what makes this video so awesome - he introduces actual grammar rules into the song. What a great way to teach.

What's frustrating for me as someone derives considerable pleasure from writing is that grammar rules aren't just for the sake of rules, they're intended to provide coherence and consistency in the tremendously complex language we use. Yet we see increasing instances of people treating them like annoyances, as if they can't be bothered with what amounts to a pedantic nuisance.

This video is absolute greatness :)

Just the facts
07-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Speaking of staying current - here is one of Al's recent songs.

KCSA7kKNu2Y

RadicalModerate
07-16-2014, 10:23 AM
It is almost impossible these days to find a way to correct someone's grammar without a spiral of righteous indignation.)

Uh . . . Would that actually be UNrighteous indignation? On the part of the correctee? =)
Perhaps, instead, "misplaced indignation"? Mebbe dumbass, lame, response to correction?

"Words have meanings."
~Rush Limbaugh (back when he was funny and entertaining.)

RadicalModerate
07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
It is almost impossible these days to find a way to correct someone's grammar without a spiral of righteous indignation. That's what makes this video so awesome - he introduces actual grammar rules into the song. What a great way to teach.

What's frustrating for me as someone derives considerable pleasure from writing is that grammar rules aren't just for the sake of rules, they're intended to provide coherence and consistency in the tremendously complex language we use. Yet we see increasing instances of people treating them like annoyances, as if they can't be bothered with what amounts to a pedantic nuisance.

This video is absolute greatness :)

Yes, it is.

Tigerguy
07-16-2014, 01:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend that, at least around here. You're going to blow the bandwidth to kingdom come in no time.

Of Sound Mind
07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Brilliant video!

soonerguru
07-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Greatness!

Dubya61
07-25-2014, 09:52 PM

ABC is reporting he's at the top of the charts.

David
07-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Yep, from what I've read it's his first #1 album in his 30+ year career. Seems that the 8 videos in 8 days publicity strategy worked really really well.

RadicalModerate
07-26-2014, 06:54 AM

Back in the late '60s or early '70s there was a Rolling Stone wannabee Rock and Roll Review publication called, Creem.
One of the reviewers, commenting on some, then new, Paul Simon recording said something along the lines of, "Every Paul Simon song is perfect but says absolutely nothing."

The quote, above, reminds me of that review.

Urbanized
07-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Hey now, CREEM survived AT LEAST until the mid-eighties.

TheTravellers
07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey now, CREEM survived AT LEAST until the mid-eighties.

Creem was a lot cooler than RS...