View Full Version : identifying various electronic devices on streets/intersections.

decepticobra
06-22-2014, 11:37 PM
I've noticed in recent years various new electronic devices that are affixed to many street intersections and also some that hover over major highways and am curious as to what exactly they are? I recently read a story on KFOR that mentioned a vehicle used in a vehicular homocide was able to be identifed via the use of a "scanner traffic". My immediate thought when hearing "scanner" is a police radio, but of course, I know that's not what they are referring to. One device I've noticed recently is a set of twin white "bars" that are affixed to a pole that hovers over passing highway traffic. I'm guessing these are some sort of IR sensors that can detect information from vehicles that pass underneath it. A friend of mine is a tech at Verizon and says many majortransportation thoroughfares are equipped with devices that work in conjunction witj a software program called Epsilon which is capable of reading any data encoded on your cell phone, credit cards, etc....they know exactly who you are, where you've been, etc. I know most street intersections have surveillance cameras affixed to a short pole that protrudes from the mid section of the street pole holding the traffic lights, also these same poles have a small squared 3-inch "box" which is used by emergency vehicles to quickly change the lights from red to green in their favor.

LakeEffect
06-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Edmond has signal preemption technology that detects a white strobe light on a fire truck/police car. OKC does not.

Edmond and OKC have small cameras that are solely equipped for traffic detection - instead of a wire loop in the street, the camera detects a car in the turn lane and will adjust signal timing/switching to allow the turn movement.

OKC has a few police surveillance cameras in the immediate downtown area, but they are very limited.

Just the facts
06-23-2014, 10:15 AM
I would be far more worried that Google knows what this thread is about and can direct their advertising accordingly.

MustangGT
06-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Along NW Highway and a few other areas they have what looks to be a small vertical rod with a black sunshade pointing back towards traffic. That is a sensor for changing the lights to green for an approaching emergency vehicle. I am sure you have seen the stroboscopic light on the front of a fire truck in emergency mode. Also the boxes with twin white vertical antennas are the WiFi system for the City of OKC. It is how the PD and FD's in car computers primarily communicate with dispatch and each other.

LakeEffect
06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Also the boxes with twin white vertical antennas are the WiFi system for the City of OKC. It is how the PD and FD's in car computers primarily communicate with dispatch and each other.

I've been told that the City was abandoning the wifi system... not sure if that's accurate or not.

MustangGT
06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
I've been told that the City was abandoning the wifi system... not sure if that's accurate or not.

Not currently. Maybe in a few years but the build out was too costly to abandon right now, until something much better technologically comes along it remains.

decepticobra
06-24-2014, 02:22 PM
oh man, you might as well just live disconnected from the digital world and "off the grid"...which is not easy to do, but can be eventually done if one desires.

decepticobra
06-24-2014, 02:26 PM
8336 whats the little black thing? reminds me of a small bird with a huge beak. lol

Plutonic Panda
06-24-2014, 03:25 PM
8336 whats the little black thing? reminds me of a small bird with a huge beak. lolI think they are sensors...

ljbab728
06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
That picture was taken in Sacramento and this is the caption below the picture.

ABOVE: Optical detection camera to sense approaching vehicles (white) and optical sensor to pick up the white strobe lights of a police car or fire truck (black). Photo taken on Jefferson Blvd.

Mel
06-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Plus don't forget the machine that tracks your chip implanted at birth. Big Brother is watching.