View Full Version : What TV do you watch these days?

GoOKC1991
06-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Do you still have satellite, cable, just local channels or have you become a Hulu/Roku/Apple TV user? I know many have mentioned in other threads but thought we could have some discussion in just one thread for it all.

bradh
06-18-2014, 08:19 PM
DirecTV for over a decade, I just love sports too much to not have it.

gjl
06-18-2014, 08:30 PM
65" Samsung LED TV. Cox Digital Cable. No premium channels. It pretty much stays on the 7xx HD channels.

Dennis Heaton
06-18-2014, 08:33 PM
As long as I am receiving OETA (PBS), Antenna-TV, ME-TV, and THIS-TV...I'm happy (but not REAL happy).

bluedogok
06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Same here, for 15 years. I have MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket, not many other options out there for those.

bradh
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
As far as the "but what do you do when it storms" argument...I use my rabbit ears. It's not a huge deal, because if a storm is that bad and I did have a dish signal, I'd be watching local channels I get on antenna anyhow for updates.

GoOKC1991
06-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Same here. Actually scored NFL Sunday Ticket for free this season, had some issues and couldn't get anyone to call us back, finally got someone from DirecTV (And I mean out of the offices, not someone from like Convergys) and they gave it to us for this season for free, as well as a genie and two other new boxes in exchange to sign a new two year contract.

GoOKC1991
06-18-2014, 09:05 PM
As far as the "but what do you do when it storms" argument...I use my rabbit ears. It's not a huge deal, because if a storm is that bad and I did have a dish signal, I'd be watching local channels I get on antenna anyhow for updates.

The storms are frustrating and I don't have an antenna, but I just put a DVD in, play music or play PlayStation.

bluedogok
06-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I need to get mine aligned, in Austin never had an issue after the HD upgrade and new dish, it always had a signal. At our rental house in Denver we didn't have an issue, at the house we bought it already had a dish but goes out in heavy, heavy storms like we had about an hour ago. Need to get them out to align it again. I have rabbit ears as well and a large antenna that I haven't installed in the attic yet.

Mel
06-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Basic Cox cable. Used to be Multimedia when I started with them. No premium channels. Watch stuff off the internet and DVD's. Nothing too fancy. Still use a VCR.

Ginkasa
06-18-2014, 11:51 PM
I just have an antenna as far as true "TV" goes. There's nothing I really watch consistently. PBS for the kids is about it. The news sometimes. If we ever want to watch an actual show we go with Amazon or Netflix.

oklip955
06-19-2014, 06:31 AM
I have dish network top 200 I think, its the middle package. I'm very happy with it and have the free HD for life option. I've been with dish since I bought my first small dish and you installed it yourself. Cable is not available out in my neck of the woods. If it was I would not have it. I could have Uverse but not interested. I have eough problems with keeping my internet and phone up (ATT).

MadMonk
06-19-2014, 07:47 AM
I've been on DirecTV since '95 with a brief 1yr stint on Dish (never again). Recently moved and upgraded to new Genie equipment and they threw in next season's Sunday Ticket for free. It seems they are giving that away a lot lately. Makes me believe subscriptions for that have dropped off enough that they are scrambling to keep their numbers up for advertisers.

Storms haven't been too much of an issue. It has to be really coming down before I get any interference. I DVR most of the stuff I watch so during storms I'll watch recorded items and switch over to antenna for local weather broadcasts or just keep up with the weather via online channels.

However, I've been very happy with my Uverse internet. I'm considering trying U-verse TV once my contract is up with DirecTV. I've heard of both good and bad experiences with U-verse TV, but my internet has been rock solid.

Just the facts
06-19-2014, 07:47 AM
DirecTV for 14 years (antenna backup)
55" LG 3D LED
Visio 5.1 Bluetooth Surround Sound

What I really love about DirecTV is that we can now use any phone or tablet in the house to stream video to any TV (or even watch TV in the car, which comes in handy when Ubering).

RadicalModerate
06-19-2014, 07:48 AM
We have basic cable from CoxComm. We probably watch 35% Create TV (cooking and travel shows), 35% PBS (Masterpiece Theater, This Old House, etc.), 30% Other (American Pickers, History Channel, HGTV). We also have Netflix (an endless stream of BBC produced detective shows. Last night we watched part of some season of Luther. That is one dark friggin' series. But interesting and well acted. We are waiting for the next disc of Homicide: Life on the Streets. It was one of my favorite shows back in the day. Worth rewatching.)

OKCisOK4me
06-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Netflix

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

CuatrodeMayo
06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
In the past, we have used an antenna for local channels and Apple TV and Netflix for everything else. We also used the various television networks' iphone/ipad apps and used airplay mirroring to watch them on the big screen. We would also occasionally rent via itunes if the movie we wanted wasn't in the local redbox.

We recently bought large LED TV with a soundbar and subwoofer and decided to take the plunge and get digital cable. Xfinity (Comcast, the local cable provider here) lets you watch television shows on-demand at no extra charge via the set top box or through their iphone apps. They also stream several networks live. So far, I'm a fan.

kelroy55
06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
I have the minimum Dish plan and use my Roku for most of my watching. I keep the Dish for a couple channels I like that are included on the base package. Come football season I may up my plan so I can catch games.

mkjeeves
06-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Cox cable, and a few net providers that also arrive via cox internet

Amazon. Netflix. Tivo, which ports over about everything I was using with my Roku before I unplugged the Roku, like Netflix, youtube and Amazon.

And I sometimes plug a PC into the big screen and watch standard Hulu or from somewhere else from the net. My current notebook has an HDMI out, and my TV a spare input, so that's pretty easy.

Jim Kyle
06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Not much except for a few local news/weather shows, and documentaries on Smithsonian, Travel, and sometimes H2 channels. Last November I left DirecTV after some 15 years, for UVerse, and have regretted it ever since. However the move saved me more than $100/month; the triple-play option on UVerse costs only a few bucks more than I was paying AT&T for only landline and DSL service; DTV was costing another $124/month.

When the contract ends, I may move to Cox. Or I may not. Depending on what AT&T does with DTV, I might return to the old arrangement. And AT&T often offers even better "retention" terms than the original discounts...

kelroy55
06-20-2014, 07:07 AM
One of the things I like about cutting my dish to the bare bones and having Netflix, amazon and Hulu through my Roku is I'm watching a lot more shows than I did before, many of them show's I haven't watched before and some old series I haven't seen in years. I'm really hooked on the BBC Sherlock series.

White Peacock
06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I get the bulk of my TV from Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon, through my Roku and my Sony Bluray player. And I get my hockey fix from NHL GameCenter Live.

Having cable is nice, but I do just fine without it.

Hollywood
06-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Ditched Cox this winter. Grabbed an antenna and promoted the Apple TV with Netflix to full time status. Best $100 we've ever saved.

ms7168
06-21-2014, 12:00 PM
40" Samsung LCD and Cox digital cable with a few premium channels. I like the series on HBO and used to like Dexter on Showtime. Not really in to their others. I watch the HD channels and still quite a bit on the locals.

MFracas84
06-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I have Dish Network, Roku and Chromecast. It seems as I get older and have sense of nostalgia for the older stuff, I find myself watching 4.1 Antenna TV and 5.2 MeTV. Oh, I forgot that I also have Netflix streaming.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lord Helmet
06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
DirecTV, Apple TV, Netflix...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ylouder
06-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Ditched dish about 6 months ago and haven't thought twice about it. I like dish, and they keep there prices low and stable unlike cox but we just use Netflix and over the air channels.