View Full Version : Sweeney McGann's

jerrywall
06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Saw that Edmond has an Irish pub downtown now... opened a week or two ago.

Sweeney McGann's
16 S Broadway Edmond OK 73034
(405) 555-1212

My review -

The wife and I stopped in for a bit yesterday. They have a very limited menu right now, but the waitress told me the full menu should be coming in the next week or so. They advertise chicken and waffles, but they didn't have them available yet, so I'll have to go check it out again once they have everything. I did have a burger there which was very well prepared.

They call themselves an Irish pub, although nothing very Irish was represented in the decor or menu. It was actually very modern. Again, I think they're still working on the decor.

The big news for me was getting a pub in downtown Edmond. I think that's a good sign of the evolution of downtown.

I didn't get any pics this time, but I'll swing by later this week and grab some. Also can't find a website, but I did find their facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sweeneymcganns

Pete
06-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Irish-American grill, in the heart of downtown Edmond. burgers and beer, fish n chips, and chicken n waffles. Locally owned and operated, non smoking.

Located in Historic downtown Edmond. OK. Sweeney McGann's is committed to providing quality food and excellent service. Owner operated, and moderately priced, Sweeney McGann's wants to be your destination of choice for a night out or a quick lunch. We aim to please.

Looks pretty simple: large u-shaped bar in the back and some tables in the front:

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/l/t1.0-9/10313551_1480917235478358_129234781074036390_n.jpg

LakeEffect
06-09-2014, 12:15 PM
No chicken n waffles as of Saturday... I was unimpressed on my first visit. Nothing bad, but nothing great. TVs are cool, but when we asked to watch US Soccer, they seemed a little dumbfounded. Not all Irish pubs are into soccer, I guess. :)

The grammar jerk in me was annoyed by the staff T-Shirts. :) Every item was in unnecessary quotation marks: "Burgers and Fries", "Fish and Chips" and "Chicken and Waffles"...

Urbanized
06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Wow. That is the most bare-bones looking bar I have ever laid eyes on. Is there even a speed well? If there is I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a garden hose and a bunch of soda bottles.

jerrywall
06-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the only Irish thing in the bar (decor or food wise) was the clover on the logo. Their temporary menu was a single sheet of paper with like 10 items on it. I was told their final menu will be 4 pages, so hopefully some Irish fare will be on there.

On the TV/Sports side of it, they have 4 of those screens with projectors that you can see in that photo, and they have a smaller flat screen TV over the bar.

The bar area is 21+ but not the front part. Wasn't thrilled with the table choices... tall, light tables on hard tiled floors. My table kept sliding and moving around as folks bumped it. They need heavier bases on them.

catch22
06-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Looks great if you want to enjoy a beer or a drink, in quiet solitude. Do they play music in there?

Urbanized
06-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Maybe they are going for the crowd who likes drinking beer in their basement utility room or workshop?

warreng88
06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Maybe they are going for the crowd who likes drinking beer in their basement utility room or workshop?

That's definitely a niche market...

Urbanized
06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Add garage drinkers and the number would go up quite a bit. Maybe hang a weedeater on the wall? There's plenty of room.

Pete
06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
To be fair, Grandad's was very simple and relatively empty when they first opened and they've done very well.

Hopefully this place will be similar. I'm always cheering for the little guy.

warreng88
06-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Add garage drinkers and the number would go up quite a bit. Maybe hang a weedeater on the wall? There's plenty of room.

Screw the bar, have a keg in the middle of the room and seven of those crappy metal lawn chairs with polyester fabric that last all of four months in there. All the other people can stand around drinking, saying things like, "Yep" "Mmm, Hmm" and "Dammit Bobby!"

Jersey Boss
06-12-2014, 12:01 PM
To be fair, Grandad's was very simple and relatively empty when they first opened and they've done very well.

+1. There is a market for taverns and the like.

Urbanized
06-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Oh, I am too. I'm mostly having fun with it. The first time I opened a store it was pretty bare-boned and I look back at those photos and think "what the heck?" But seriously, it DOES look a little bit like a keg party in a garage.

jerrywall
06-12-2014, 02:12 PM
I do think folks should give it a visit. The pics don't do it justice. While it's sparse on the decor and the irish, it's definitely not trashy, or low rent. I actually has a nice, upscale feel to it. Everything seems "shiny".

LakeEffect
06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
I do think folks should give it a visit. The pics don't do it justice. While it's sparse on the decor and the irish, it's definitely not trashy, or low rent. I actually has a nice, upscale feel to it. Everything seems "shiny".

Well, they kept a lot of the general finishes from when it was Vin Dolce, so that helps. The restrooms didn't change at all.

The biggest problem is that EVERY chair and table is a high top, bar included, obviously. The one family that tried to come in when I was there had to leave because the high chair was still a foot or more short...

jerrywall
06-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Well, they kept a lot of the general finishes from when it was Vin Dolce, so that helps. The restrooms didn't change at all.

The biggest problem is that EVERY chair and table is a high top, bar included, obviously. The one family that tried to come in when I was there had to leave because the high chair was still a foot or more short...

Wow... that would be a problem.

Urbanized
06-13-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm not even sure that complies with ADA.

Edmond_Outsider
02-09-2016, 05:29 AM
They're still around some 18 months later and I've been there maybe 6-7 times and always enjoyed it. I enjoy sitting at the bar more than the tables but I don't really like high tables in general. That's not a deal breaker though. Its a pretty good neighborhood pub. I've not eaten there, but I enjoy having a drink or two there. Its nice to have an area in Edmond where one can have a bit of a pub crawl.

ctchandler
02-09-2016, 09:33 AM
They're still around some 18 months later and I've been there maybe 6-7 times and always enjoyed it. I enjoy sitting at the bar more than the tables but I don't really like high tables in general. That's not a deal breaker though. Its a pretty good neighborhood pub. I've not eaten there, but I enjoy having a drink or two there. Its nice to have an area in Edmond where one can have a bit of a pub crawl.

I ate there with my friend from London and she said his fish and chips are the best she has had in the states and we have traveled all over the country, so she has tried several places. We went there three times while she was here last time and I'm sure we will go again when she comes over this summer.
C. T.

Richard at Remax
02-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Its one of those places you forget is there. But every time I have gone I have not had a bad meal.

OkieHornet
02-09-2016, 02:59 PM
i swear i heard the other day from a co-worker that it was closed.

Will
02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
i swear i heard the other day from a co-worker that it was closed.

It is closed. They are currently remodeling it. There is a sign out front, but I couldn't read it very well driving by. It looks like it is going to be a sports bar concept, which doesn't sound much different than what it already was. I don't know if it's the same owners or not.

bchris02
02-09-2016, 05:52 PM
A place like this would kill it downtown. Out of all the great new bar/restaurant options, this is one of the things that is missing.

Pete
02-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Facebook page is deleted, web page gone...

Does not look good.

Uptowner
02-10-2016, 03:12 PM
A place like this would kill it downtown. Out of all the great new bar/restaurant options, this is one of the things that is missing.
Mcnellies or skinny slims don't float your boat? How about spots bar sushi at park Harvey?

Pete
02-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Mcnellies or skinny slims don't float your boat? How about spots bar sushi at park Harvey?

Henry Hudson's and Tapwerks and Slaughter's Hall and Urban Johnnie and Deep Deuce Grill and others as well.

bchris02
02-10-2016, 03:57 PM
I haven't been to the downtown Skinny Slim's but have been to the Edmond one numerous times. The downtown location looks more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Henry Hudson's and McNellie's a great places but are not quite the same.

Pete
02-10-2016, 03:58 PM
The Bricktown Skinny's is awesome.

Still one of my favorite places in OKC.

jerrywall
03-04-2016, 08:34 AM
I saw yesterday this location has opened as "The Zu", a sports bar. Haven't check them out yet.

PhiAlpha
03-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I saw yesterday this location has opened as "The Zu", a sports bar. Haven't check them out yet.

This is going to be run by the owners of Othello's and the Around the Corner Diner across the street. They had a soft opening a few nights ago and apparently the food offerings have been greatly improved. Basically it is still going to be a sports bar/pub concept with an established restaurant operator at the helm. Should be a hit.

Pete
03-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Opened last Thursday.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12809636_230777060595611_1613369409374777233_n.jpg ?oh=4ca37861f11160231427f94b9541b699&oe=575427E8

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/12794542_231421470531170_127792765961805709_n.jpg? oh=40b0f3da917818596dfd90188ad764ed&oe=575AADF6

https://www.facebook.com/TheZuSportsGrill