View Full Version : Oak and Ore

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jccouger
01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
We are hiring! We are looking for people passionate about great service, great craft beer, and great food. Please inquire at oakandore@gmail.com

They are aware of there staffing limitations. It just needs some time.

Pete
01-14-2015, 04:23 PM
And has been pointed out many times, good luck to the new, smaller guy trying to find good help in OKC, let alone a month where what, four or five other big restaurants and bars opened?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these places took a cue from McDonald's and started hiring senior citizens and high school kids. :)

soonerguru
01-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Again, the poor service I encountered was not due to a lack of staffing. It was due to negligence and poor organization.

IanMcDermid
01-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Right. And you have to hire New or train the unexperoenced ones before you let them go or decide to replace them. Better to have bad staff than NO staff? It's not like theres a line of competent, experienced, people out there like some industries. And as I mentioned. Some people just don't have it. It's showbiz!!!!(gag)

Chadanth
01-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Just got back from our second visit to O&O. We sat at the bar, so service was good. I can't comment to the service for people at tables, except that I saw constant streams of food and beer coming from the kitchen and the bar. Our service was great, the food was outstanding, and they of course offered samples of anything requested. They changed their lineup a bit while we were there, as they ran out of a couple beers and added new to the board. They were pretty full the whole time and everyone seemed satisfied.

I predict that they will work out whatever issues they've had and continue to do well.

Urbanized
01-17-2015, 12:09 AM
I was there pre-game about 5:15 to 6:45. Had pretty decent service; definitely friendly and knowledgeable, only a little slow at times. Most seats were full though I wouldn't call the place packed by any means. Ambiance was fine, food was good. Beer selection was good, temps were correct, glassware appropriate. I will definitely be back.

LocoAko
01-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Went again today and had a decent time, but the service was noticeably worse than last time. It took forever to order, forever to get our drinks, and getting the tabs was ridiculous. It must have taken thirty minutes for us to find our waitress and get out. After ten minutes of waiting she had to double check what we all had, and then dropped all the receipts and cards so we had to settle all of that. None of that is really a big deal, but everything was just super slow. She even apologized a few times and remarked that she was the only server working, so I don't blame her (she was running around like crazy), it just appeared that they were very understaffed.

borchard
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Wife and I went there Friday night and sat at the bar. We got great service and the food was outstanding.

Richard at Remax
01-20-2015, 08:46 AM
I was there Friday night, didn't get to eat but stood at the end of the bar. Got great service as well. The place is a little bare but it wont detract me from coming back. And I didn't notice any smell while in there.

warreng88
01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
So, the point of this thread is: if you are going and want good service, eat at the bar...

Richard at Remax
01-20-2015, 09:40 AM
So, the point of this thread is: if you are going and want good service, eat at the bar...

sounds like it. we had four with us and there was a big table and two small tables open, but they said they were reserved. an hour later a few people came and sat at them but not enough to warrant all the tables being taken. Just thought that was a little strange.

Easy180
01-31-2015, 04:46 AM
Went last night and the service was outstanding.. We had several employees taking care of our drinks and get this... They actually kept our water glasses full...Imagine that at a bar

Loved the huge variety of beers on tap...You can tell they know their beer when they bring them out in the appropriate glassware with the right temp

Only had the pretzel since we went next door to Empire to eat so can't really vouch for the food..Will definitely put this place on my happy hour rotation

borchard
01-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Absolutely. And that goes for anywhere, IMHO. My wife and I will always sit at a full service bar, if we have the chance. The ONLY times I got bad service at a bar was at Packard's and The Barrel

BBatesokc
02-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Finally got out to Oak and Ore this past Wednesday afternoon for lunch with the wife on her day off.

Got there at 11:15am right after they opened and needless to say we were the only patrons at that time.

Initial impression; Cool exterior and extremely cool/hip interior. It was very simple, yet very well done and well thought out in our opinions. We did notice a bit of bareness to the walls, but it honestly didn't strike us as a necessity to fill/cover them.

The hostess met us at the door with a smile and offered us the bar, a tall top or a table. We went for a table along the wall.

The waiter was great about going over the items on the menu and I settled for the Monte Cristo and my wife had the Salmon Roll.

I really, really enjoyed their take on the Monte Cristo - served on a waffle and never fried. It had all the flavors I enjoy when I think about a MC but didn't leave me filling like I over indulged in sweetness and needing to take a nap or get sick. My wife, who never likes the taste of a traditional MC eagerly ate about 1/4 of mine.

As for the Salmon Roll -- I'm not usually a fan of 'deli rollups' (that's what I call that style). Probably because every lame party I go to the host has resorted to this style of appetizer and purchased it from Sam's pre-made. While Oak & Ore's did have the abundance of tortilla (lavash) that I don't really like, there was no lack of flavor and the salmon, dill, lemon, avocado and capers really popped.

Each entree came with their variety of chips (very good) and their signature side salad - which I thought would be more like a garnish (for looks not for taste) - but I was pleasantly surprised when the salad was actually very good and we decided we were going to prepare our salads the same way for an upcoming party at our house.

Our order was taken and served quickly. However, while waiting, another staff member offered us a selection of free samples from their 36 beers on tap. We tried 5 or 6 and really liked them (some darks and some lights).

We were probably greeted at the table by 4 different staff members and the entire lunch was very enjoyable.

While this place would most likely not be on my lunch rotation (cost, atmosphere and limited menu), we will definitely patronize again in the evening - before an event downtown or with a group of friends for a night out.

Lunch for two with tip was about $30.

Oak and Ore is definitely a great addition to the Plaza District.

(The only thing we noticed of any degree of negative was that all the seating surfaces at tables were metal. Being the first patrons of the day - on a cold day - you could feel the freezing seat on your rear through your clothing. My wife actually had to sit on her scarf the seats were so cold.)

Some pics I took.....

Pete
02-06-2015, 08:22 AM
^

Great review and photos. Much appreciated.

NWOKCGuy
02-06-2015, 08:56 AM
There is a difference between having inexperienced servers/bartenders and having staff that gives off the impression that they could give a rip about serving you. From my experiences and from what I've seen from folks on FB this place has the latter.

Pete
02-06-2015, 04:15 PM
They (and a bunch of other bars and restaurants) have been advertising for help over the last couple of weeks.

NWOKCGuy
02-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Listen I get there's a lack of experienced servers and bar staff in OKC but that's why restaurants/bars should invest in training programs. Letting this kind of service goes on just means the owners are giving their okay to their staff ignoring their patrons. That's all I'll say on the subject.

borchard
02-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Really like Oak and Ore. It's a great addition to the plaza

BBatesokc
02-17-2015, 05:36 AM
Been twice now. Neither time has the wait staff been an issue. As a matter of fact, they've been great. Second visit was in the evening on a weekend - very busy, but no delays out of the ordinary.

I do wish they'd replace the bright orange ladder. I've seen it out both times and it really takes away from the 'look.' Maybe a rolling library bookcase type antique ladder fixed to the wall would work? Regardless, great place.

PhiAlpha
02-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I've been a few times. The waitstaff was a little slow, but it the place was wall to wall packed so we understood. My only complaint was that they ran out of a few of the beers I wanted, but our waitress suggested a similar beer that was great so again, no big deal. Overall a great experience and I plan to go back.

CaptDave
02-17-2015, 12:13 PM
I went with a large group and the service and food was great. I recommend the Monte Cristo. No complaints and I'll definitely return.

Chadanth
02-17-2015, 06:29 PM
I went with a large group and the service and food was great. I recommend the Monte Cristo. No complaints and I'll definitely return.

The monte cristo is a very cool interpretation of the dish. My wife gets it pretty often.

Pete
03-13-2015, 10:44 AM
New tables outside of Oak & Ore and Roxy's.

Wonder if they'll create a more permanent patio ala Empire to the west?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10534088_358305511040536_3807927491645586603_n.jpg ?oh=fd752399d61ace3f60e83ca78cc75b4f&oe=557031E3&__gda__=1438418538_d25ff7ddea0168245fe5dc101ae0271 0

Urbanized
03-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Uh...I'm sorry, that looks more like fir than oak.

Pete
04-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Spent some time at Oak & Ore yesterday, my first chance to see and experience the place.

Add another to my "could hang out here all the time" list. Simply great space and a really cool vibe.

I love the way they encourage you to sample various beers; how everything is severed in just the right glass and at the perfect temp.

I only had a beer (Mission Red, which was excellent) but was very impressed. I met Micah Andrews (owner) and he's incredibly nice and personable.

It's funny because I usually get to know these bar and business owners just as we get wind of their plans and then it's really great to be able to see them open and thriving. Micah is a young guy with a wife and young child at home and is working his tail off trying to balance it all. I always think that there is someone like him behind all these places, and that's why I really want people on this site to always be respectful to those that are investing in the City and trying to building something for themselves.

Frankly, I felt the same way about Kevin George (from The George) last night and really the dozens of others I've been meeting with on this trip.

Anyway, wish I would have had time to try their menu... I simply don't have enough meal slots while I'm here, there are just too many great new places!

jccouger
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Spent some time at Oak & Ore yesterday, my first chance to see and experience the place.

Add another to my "could hang out here all the time" list. Simply great space and a really cool vibe.

I love the way they encourage you to sample various beers; how everything is severed in just the right glass and at the perfect temp.

I only had a beer (Mission Red, which was excellent) but was very impressed. I met Micah Andrews (owner) and he's incredibly nice and personable.

It's funny because I usually get to know these bar and business owners just as we get wind of their plans and then it's really great to be able to see them open and thriving. Micah is a young guy with a wife and young child at home and is working his tail off trying to balance it all. I always think that there is someone like him behind all these places, and that's why I really want people on this site to always be respectful to those that are investing in the City and trying to building something for themselves.

Frankly, I felt the same way about Kevin George (from The George) last night and really the dozens of others I've been meeting with on this trip.

Anyway, wish I would have had time to try their menu... I simply don't have enough meal slots while I'm here, there are just too many great new places!

I bet you gain about 10 lbs every trip you make back here.

Pete
04-23-2015, 12:31 PM
I bet you gain about 10 lbs every trip you make back here.

My pants are certainly tighter!

Plus, I usually only go out once a week... By Tuesday, I didn't feel so good and had to pack it in by 9PM.

It didn't help that I hosted a bachelor's party last Wednesday and then stayed out very late on Friday after taking full advantage of a wedding's open bar. The other nights have been more laid back but still too much food and drink.

Uptowner
04-24-2015, 09:49 PM
10688 What's with all these drinking patios on the public right of way in OKC? I recently had a surgery that's move me from wheelchair, to a knee scooter, crutches, cane, etc. I've been getting more and more aggitated with restraurants and bars chomping up the public easements with what doesn't feel like a lot of consideration. Are they getting revokable permits, and abc zoning for these? I don't mean to poop on the parade but I found out the hard way that you can't get a wheelchair down the N. side of 16th thanks to that street lamp post outside empire.

BBatesokc
04-27-2015, 06:06 AM
10688 What's with all these drinking patios on the public right of way in OKC? I recently had a surgery that's move me from wheelchair, to a knee scooter, crutches, cane, etc. I've been getting more and more aggitated with restraurants and bars chomping up the public easements with what doesn't feel like a lot of consideration. Are they getting revokable permits, and abc zoning for these? I don't mean to poop on the parade but I found out the hard way that you can't get a wheelchair down the N. side of 16th thanks to that street lamp post outside empire.

I doubt those tables are on the city easement. It appears they are far enough back to allow for the width of a sidewalk.

HangryHippo
04-27-2015, 08:03 AM

While I do see your point, this city has an alarming habit of throwing lights up RIGHT in the middle of what should be a sidewalk. That seems like it could be a part of the problem here as well.

As other examples, the light poles on the east side of St. Anthony Hospital in Midtown. The poles went up right in the middle of the sidewalk. Also, while they're trees, the new Edge apartments in Midtown planted trees right in the middle of the sidewalks. I just don't get it.

Teo9969
04-27-2015, 09:27 AM
The light pole is very clearly not in the middle of that sidewalk. The "Good Neighbor" thing for Empire to do is to push their patio to the sidewalk and allow a throughway between their building and the street.

BDP
04-29-2015, 02:37 PM
While I do see your point, this city has an alarming habit of throwing lights up RIGHT in the middle of what should be a sidewalk. That seems like it could be a part of the problem here as well.

As other examples, the light poles on the east side of St. Anthony Hospital in Midtown. The poles went up right in the middle of the sidewalk. Also, while they're trees, the new Edge apartments in Midtown planted trees right in the middle of the sidewalks. I just don't get it.

Like our traffic circles, I think some here aren't very familiar with the concept of sidewalks.

Jersey Boss
04-29-2015, 03:04 PM

One would think that this does not meet ADA guidelines.

LakeEffect
04-29-2015, 03:12 PM
One would think that this does not meet ADA guidelines.

ADA allows for 36" width for brief periods, which this appears to qualify for...

Pete
05-08-2015, 03:01 PM
They will be getting a slick new sign produced by Odd Fab, who also did signs for The Mule and Hunsucker Law:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oakore050815.jpg

Bullbear
05-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Nice!.. Hughe has been really busy with signs as of lately.. he is also commissioned for the OKC at the WHEELER ferris wheel. Some great signs popping up in Plaza will really give life to the area..

Pete
04-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Had lunch there today and it was very, very good.

Had the beer-battered fries and cubano sandwich. Big portions of both; so much so I took half home.

This place is highly underrated.

Bullbear
04-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Nice.. I haven't had more than Beer there in a long time.. when they first opened we ate there a few times and portions were very small. Glad to hear they are better.
need to give it another try.

Andon
04-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Speaking as a cook/whatever, their hickory-smoked chicken biscuit is one of the better bites in the city.

Pete
04-13-2016, 05:05 AM
Speaking as a cook/whatever, their hickory-smoked chicken biscuit is one of the better bites in the city.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it try on my next visit and I really need to get there more often, if for no other reason than to try their huge assortment of interesting beers.

zefferoni
04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
I went there for the Oskar Blues release event. It was a little loud for my taste, but the food was delicious. It was super crowded, but the table service was great considering how many people were there.

LocoAko
04-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Yes! It is simply amazing. I always feel full after just half of one because of how rich they are. Had a friend in from Georgia (where I assume they are quite familiar with chicken biscuits) and he said it was one of the best he'd ever had, lol.

FighttheGoodFight
10-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Yes I know I am late but had dinner there over the weekend. Loved the place and the food was great! I wish it had a better outdoor sitting area but it rained that night so I can't complain.

We will be back,