View Full Version : Oak and Ore

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Chadanth
12-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I may have missed this, but when is the official opening for Oak and Ore? Had a few friends go last night and they loved it. Couldn't stop raving about it.

I forgot to ask. Probably next week.

Uptowner
12-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Why do we have to shame people for liking "regular" beer? i love craft beer but I'm a diabetic and miller lite has 3.5 carbs per serving. Straight up snubbing 3.2 sends a message that if I'm not willing to do it your way then I'm not welcome.

Pete
12-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Why do we have to shame people for liking "regular" beer? i love craft beer but I'm a diabetic and miller lite has 3.5 carbs per serving. Straight up snubbing 3.2 sends a message that if I'm not willing to do it your way then I'm not welcome.

I'll buy MGD Light on occassion in the summer, when it's hot and I want something light.

I get it really cold, but it in a frosty mug and with squeeze of lime. Great after a long workout when I can't stomach anything heavier.

BBatesokc
12-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Totally agree. Says far more about the poster than the person drinking the beer of their choice.

I personally like my coffee black and my beer pretty basic.

wsucougz
12-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Urbanized
12-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Totally agree. Says far more about the poster than the person drinking the beer of their choice.

I personally like my coffee black and my beer pretty basic.
You've just dogged half the posters in the thread, including the board owner.

Personally, I have no problem with the drinking of Coors, Bud, whatever...when not 3.2. The reason is how compromised the product is to get to the 3.2 number. It generally is flat and watery. Nobody should have to be subjected to that. I ridicule it on principle. The full-strength stuff isn't my cup of team but different strokes I guess.

I also have zero problem with a place whose business model revolves around craft beers sticking to craft beers. The Garage and S&B don't apologize for not offering you a mustard and ketchup Quarter Pounder with cheese. If that's what you're looking for, there's a McDonald's at 23rd and Rob.

Pete
12-21-2014, 05:46 PM
If you drink a cheapo American beer, just make sure you do it ironically. :p

Urbanized
12-21-2014, 05:47 PM
LOL. Hey, they have freaking HAMM'S at The Pump. Don't think I won't be having one of those at some point just for giggles.

Chadanth
12-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Drink what you like. If you don't like the heavy craft stuff, more for me. Do what you enjoy.

IanMcDermid
12-21-2014, 07:59 PM
The Garage and S&B don't apologize for not offering you a mustard and ketchup Quarter Pounder with cheese.

Just pointing out: S&B's original signature burger "the fatty" is a burger with mustard, onions, pickles, and a Kraft single.

I can barely keep the hamms stocked! But I'm okay with stocking anything that people will buy. I mean how can you have a patio bar without an icy bucket of millers? I draw the line at 55 calorie beers and the flavored whiskey/vodka of the hour. Applle-eycrown royal, or whatever they're scrambling to mix up to combat fireball.

Urbanized
12-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I'll bet we could all tell the difference between a Fatty and a QPw/C if slapped on a plate in front of us. More importantly, Stevie Wonder could tell the difference too. And not just because of the ketchup discrepancy.

IanMcDermid
12-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Haha. I would never argue that! I was just running with the analogy and saying they both serve reserved product for the minimalist.

Anyway, lest we detract from the topic of the thread anymore. I can't wait to try it out. We need more bars. Has anyone given details if this joint is open 'til 2? 21+

Plutonic Panda
12-22-2014, 01:24 AM
cup of teamTeam

John Knight
12-22-2014, 08:26 AM
I went there yesterday for one of their soft opening slots. The inside is gorgeous and very comforting. The food was excellent and they're selection of craft beer is even better.

I told Micah (the owner) what a good job he has done up to this point. He seems really appreciative of all the positive feedback he is getting. He is very humble and will do really well.

Here is a pic I posted on my Instagram account:

John Knight
12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I forgot to mention that Oak & Ore officially opens today (per Micah).

gopokes88
12-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Just pointing out: S&B's original signature burger "the fatty" is a burger with mustard, onions, pickles, and a Kraft single.

I can barely keep the hamms stocked! But I'm okay with stocking anything that people will buy. I mean how can you have a patio bar without an icy bucket of millers? I draw the line at 55 calorie beers and the flavored whiskey/vodka of the hour. Applle-eycrown royal, or whatever they're scrambling to mix up to combat fireball.

When it's a 110 degrees outside water is the most refreshing thing there is, that's why we have coors light. That's not ironic or sarcastic. When it's that stinking hot or im at the lake I want a beer that is more watery. Every beer has a time and place.

onthestrip
12-22-2014, 11:08 AM
When it's a 110 degrees outside water is the most refreshing thing there is, that's why we have coors light. That's not ironic or sarcastic. When it's that stinking hot or im at the lake I want a beer that is more watery. Every beer has a time and place.

Exactly. Golf, the lake, warm tailgates, give me coors light. Nearly all other times, give me flavor and substance.

bchris02
12-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Exactly. Golf, the lake, warm tailgates, give me coors light. Nearly all other times, give me flavor and substance.

Yeah I agree. I don't think an Oatmeal Porter would be that refreshing when you are on the lake and it's 105 degrees. Coors light and Miller Lite are drinkable. I can't drink Bud Light however no matter the occasion.

traxx
12-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Thank you.

I'm so tired of apple this and cranberry that and lime this. I want my Scotch to taste like Scotch and I want my beer to taste like beer. If I want a flavored wine cooler, I'll get in my Delorean and head back to the '80s. :tongue:

As for the Hamms, I think it's a nostalgia thing and that's why it's come back into style, especially with hipsters. It could also be a brand repositioning.

Pete
12-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Their menu today:

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10885267_331579350379819_4352068780805589396_n.jpg ?oh=6f96303d57b3dd3d280a4c8c1a6f87ee&oe=55340137

cferguson
12-23-2014, 08:25 PM
I stopped by today for lunch. The place was so newly finished I could still smell the paint. The look of the place is top notch and provided for a great atmosphere. It looks like they still will be adding some decorations to fill it out but the bones were there. The tap wall with the chalkboard menu above it looked awesome. I sat at the communal table in the middle and it provided a cozy feel to the restaurant. I ordered the beer brat and I was impressed with the food. It came out a little slow but I expected this from new restaurant. For beer, I ordered a prairie standard and a green flash green bullet triple IPA (!). The beers came out in a tulip glass with their awesome logo on it. Our server was very knowledgable about beer and was easy to chat with about what to try. He wasnt beer snobby at all. Overall, I had a great experience. This is definitely a place to go to get some beers you can't find elsewhere. It's gonna be a hit for sure.

Prices for the beer ranged but didn't feel too steep for the quality. The prairie was 6 and the green flash was 7 I think.

Joe Kimball
12-27-2014, 12:44 PM
I believe I can offer a comprehensive review. To summarize, I was nothing short of impressed with the operation.

Having some errands in the area on the Eve, I decided to stop during both of their intervals -- once about noon, and once for dinner before heading home for the obvious occasion.

The bartop was everything I hoped it would be, and you could indeed smell the freshness of whatever finish was used, which added to a nice ambiance. The tiles against the rear wall are magnificent, the uniformity of the tap handles is a great effect, with nothing but numbers to differentiate them. The udder abundance of wood, with occasional ceramic and tin contrasts, makes the atmosphere very comfortable.

Both stewards on each shift were very accommodating in my request for something that matched the season, moreover the briskness of the air, and whatever was most unique to the place. They've got nice little sampling stems, snifters really, that let you really analyze the drink to whatever degree you like to. The staff are easily among the most expert in town. Everything is at the correct temperature, which is an experience better appreciated outside the printed word. The glasses are chosen carefully that I can see. The stronger beers are usually in smaller glasses, of course.

I had the beer brat, sliced and open face on a round bun, Every flavor was distinguishable. I didn't expect the Liege waffle to be served in pieces in a stem (graciously with both toppings per my request), but it was nonetheless delicious; certainly that exact type of waffle.

No TVs in the place; all I need or want is the wifi anyway. I understand from one of the stewards that the owner is rethinking even having them for games.

I hope they stay for a long while.

ljbab728
12-27-2014, 08:10 PM
The udder abundance of wood, with occasional ceramic and tin contrasts, makes the atmosphere very comfortable.
I keep trying to imagine that cow in my mind and always get a big LOL.

Sorry, Joe. I just couldn't resist. :)

kevinpate
12-28-2014, 05:23 AM
May change how some view that uniformity of the taps as well :)

bchris02
12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
I went to this place last night for the first time. Very comfortable, inviting atmosphere. I will definitely be a regular there.

Pete
12-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Here is their set menu (also linked in article above for future reference):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oakoremenu.jpg

warreng88
12-30-2014, 01:30 PM
If someone gets a chance, get by there and take a pic of their front door. It is very cool. I work until five and have a newborn at home, otherwise I would be over there in a heartbeat.

Pete
12-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Here is a good shot of their beers on tap:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oakandorebeer.jpg

Teo9969
12-30-2014, 08:31 PM
1/3 of that list is Oklahoma Beers (including Coop Native Amber, which is "blacked out" at #18).

And that Prairie Bomb is ridiculously cheap. Can anybody confirm whether or not that's a smaller pour? It's hard to find Bomb in stores for less than $7.5 a bottle…let a lone in a restaurant.

Andon
12-30-2014, 08:37 PM
1/3 of that list is Oklahoma Beers (including Coop Native Amber, which is "blacked out" at #18).

And that Prairie Bomb is ridiculously cheap. Can anybody confirm whether or not that's a smaller pour? It's hard to find Bomb in stores for less than $7.5 a bottle…let a lone in a restaurant.
It was either an 8oz or 10oz pour whenever we were in there tonight.

Chadanth
12-31-2014, 06:31 AM

If you zoom in a not on the pic, they give you the pour size for every beer. I like that aspect of their board too.

Pete
01-03-2015, 10:31 AM
From warreng88:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oakore010315a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/oakore010315b.jpg

Bellaboo
01-03-2015, 10:35 AM
After the game last night we went to Empire. This place was packed as we walked by.

Joe Kimball
01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I keep trying to imagine that cow in my mind and always get a big LOL.

Sorry, Joe. I just couldn't resist. :)

What can I do but sigh and shrug? Heh! Stylized udders for sure....

OKCisOK4me
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Left the Pump for a wider offering of food choices and came to this place this evening. It was pretty cool. I had the #11 first followed by the #8 (twice). For dinner I had the Monte Christo sandwich (picked primarily due to one of my favorite books) and it hit the spot. People say the joint smells weird, my guess is the wood. I could smell something but it wasn't too bad. I don't know if they were in a hurry to open or its just the way the place is but there is absolutely no artwork on the walls, which is strange due to the district that they are located in. I did get to use the restroom here--a Lil surprised it was only a one toilet room. Look forward to going back.

Bullbear
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Stopped in Friday night with a couple friends after eating at chiltepes. They were busy but had several tables open but said wait to be seated. We waited and waited as many employees walked right by us never acknowledged us. Then someone asked if we had been helped and we said no and they said someone would be with us soon. Then another person came by and said the same thing. The. Finally seated. No menu or drink menu given to us just seated and left. We waited and a waitress stopped by twice to say she is sorry she will be right with us. We opted to leave at that point as we had been there at least 20 minutes total and had no drinks. We walked by several employees including our server as we were leaving and. I osu said a word. And yes it smelled funny in there kind of like dirty socks. The place is cute but very cold. It needs some art on the walls and some glassware on the shelves rather than a single line of liquor bottles spaced 4 inches apart and glasses setting far apart as well. I assume it's just new and hopefully isn't finished and they are working out the staffing.

dankrutka
01-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Stopped in Friday night with a couple friends after eating at chiltepes. They were busy but had several tables open but said wait to be seated. We waited and waited as many employees walked right by us never acknowledged us. Then someone asked if we had been helped and we said no and they said someone would be with us soon. Then another person came by and said the same thing. The. Finally seated. No menu or drink menu given to us just seated and left. We waited and a waitress stopped by twice to say she is sorry she will be right with us. We opted to leave at that point as we had been there at least 20 minutes total and had no drinks. We walked by several employees including our server as we were leaving and. I osu said a word. And yes it smelled funny in there kind of like dirty socks. The place is cute but very cold. It needs some art on the walls and some glassware on the shelves rather than a single line of liquor bottles spaced 4 inches apart and glasses setting far apart as well. I assume it's just new and hopefully isn't finished and they are working out the staffing.

I stopped in with a group a couple weeks ago and this is pretty much matches our experience. They were definitely understaffed as people would walk in and the greeter would be gone for 10 minutes cleaning tables and such. I saw a couple groups wait 20 minutes for a table when there were 3 to 4 open tables the entire time. Of course, this was pretty soon after they opened so I just kind of chalked it up to them working out the kinks. I'm sure they'll get things figured out as the concept and product are pretty solid. I look forward to stopping by again when I'm next in town.

iMAX386
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM
It definitely smelled like a sweaty gym in there Friday night. But it also felt kinda humid in there so it seemed like something is up with the air filtration/AC.

kevinpate
01-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Maybe more than urban campers need to up their shower visits?

sooner88
01-12-2015, 07:32 AM
We went on Saturday night for dinner and although the I didn't notice the smell, I could tell that they were understaffed. Once we were seated (only 3 of us), the service, beer and food were all great. Definitely a different vibe than anything else in the Plaza... once they get the kinks worked out it should be a hit. With 4 bars/restaurants in such close proximity it makes for a pretty good crawl.

OkiePoke
01-12-2015, 08:01 AM
I went Friday after the game as well. I didn't know about the 'Wait to be Seated' as I joined a group of friends. This was around 10pm. They were pretty busy and seemed understaffed. But, after a few people left, out waitress did a great job in getting us waters and drinks when needed. Took less than 5 minutes, where she would come get our drink orders a little early before we were done.

I'm sure the place will be successful; they will just need to hire a few more staffers during busy hours.

soonerguru
01-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Haha. This was my experience as well. Cool atmosphere. Didn't eat. Had to beg to be noticed, get a drink menu, or order a drink. Perhaps on my next visit I'll wear neon clothing and a clown wig to stand out more.

Regarding staffing levels, I saw several staff pass by me without acknowledgement. At the time I was there, the crowd had thinned out a bit, and while busy, it wasn't close to being packed. It was just bad service.

Chadanth
01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Haha. This was my experience as well. Cool atmosphere. Didn't eat. Had to beg to be noticed, get a drink menu, or order a drink. Perhaps on my next visit I'll wear neon clothing and a clown wig to stand out more.

Regarding staffing levels, I saw several staff pass by me without acknowledgement. At the time I was there, the crowd had thinned out a bit, and while busy, it wasn't close to being packed. It was just bad service.

This could be a symptom of what Pete has been saying, that it is probably quite difficult to get experienced service staff in this environment, due to so many new restaurants opening. We had bad service at Fassler Hall the other day as well.

Pete
01-12-2015, 09:05 AM
We've had about a dozen bars and restaurant open in just the last couple of months.

Unless you have the ability to shift from other places and train extensively (like a Good Egg or the guys at Broadway 10) you've got to know these places are struggling to get experienced help.

I hate to say this -- and I'm sure Oak & Ore will do very well -- but there is bound to be some shakeout in restaurants in the near future. We've had tons open, are experiencing the first economic ripple in quite some time, and there is always a decent amount of food service places that don't make it in even the mid-term.

At the very least, the queue of new places seems to have slowed down considerably. Not nearly as many places in the pipeline right now and that's probably a good thing.

Teo9969
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
We've had about a dozen bars and restaurant open in just the last couple of months.

Unless you have the ability to shift from other places and train extensively (like a Good Egg or the guys at Broadway 10) you've got to know these places are struggling to get experienced help.

I hate to say this -- and I'm sure Oak & Ore will do very well -- but there is bound to be some shakeout in restaurants in the near future. We've had tons open, are experiencing the first economic ripple in quite some time, and there is always a decent amount of food service places that don't make it in even the mid-term.

At the very least, the queue of new places seems to have slowed down considerably. Not nearly as many places in the pipeline right now and that's probably a good thing.

Every restaurant and more can make it if 1. People are living where those restaurants are located 2. People prefer these restaurants to chains.

I'm not saying both of those are definitely true, but there's no reason for these places to go under if they can staff well and train well. Nobody is going to drive across down to go to Chili's, but lots of people drive from all over the city to go to Empire or Dust Bowl or WSKY. When you're the only one of you're kind, you have advantages and disadvantages over chain competition.

Some of these places would do good to go find a great server/bartender someone in the city, poach them and pay them well to be a head server and train the rest of the FOH staff like mad. It's less profit on the front-end, but if you can create a staff who knows how to run a restaurant, then all should end up going well.

Teo9969
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Speaking of poaching, the local Chili's/Outback/Olive Garden/Red Lobster is where I would start my hunt for servers...

ChadOSU
01-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Checked this place out on Saturday evening with a group of about 6. The place was busy but we got seated right away at what looked like the only table left open. Like others have mentioned, the service was really bad. After putting in our first drink order, we pretty much never saw our waiter again. We acutally had to flag down a hostess to put in our food order, she came over and wrote it down. Trying to get some one's attention for another round of drinks was near impossilbe. We told a hostess again (we were seated right by the entrance) that we wanted to order another round of drinks. Our intention was to order different drinks than our first, but she took it as we all wanted the same thing and brought out another round. On a positive note, they apologized for the misunderstanding and comped those drinks for us. Besides the horrible service, great beer selection and cool concept with the large chalk board beer menus.

Also, forgot to mention, the single stall bathroom was horrible for how large and how busy this place was. The line to the men's was about 5 deep when I went.

OKCisOK4me
01-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Maybe it's because it was a Sunday night but our server was pretty attentive. She was on us like white on rice. A gentleman that worked behind the bar even came over and asked us how everything was. My buddy got wiskey for him and his girlfriend. The gentleman came back with something different and because he didn't have what my friend had asked for, he put the drinks on him. So overall, I give our service an A-.

borchard
01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
We really love O & O. We have never sat at a table, though. We always sit at the bar and the service been fine. But that's what we tend to do at any establishment; sit at the bar if we can. There have only been two times ever that I got bad sevrice sitting at the bar.

Stan Silliman
01-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Although you may not feel a buzz, I have represented many of people for driving under the influence of "non-intoxicating" 3.2 beer. The .08 limit is so low that most people feel fine at .08 BAC. Although you didn't say you were driving and no reason to believe you were, just a reminder to be safe out there so you avoid a DUI

So you can a get DUI without being intoxicated, at least not intoxicated to which we are actually impaired? Sounds like a technicality trap.

TheTravellers
01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
So you can a get DUI without being intoxicated, at least not intoxicated to which we are actually impaired? Sounds like a technicality trap.

I have a very high tolerance, it'd probably take me at .15 BAC or so to actually be impaired, need to test that sometime (safely) just to see...

kevinpate
01-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Thank your fedophiles for pushing states to adopt .08 as the bright line limit some time back, and then never looking back. Jeepokc is right it doesn't take a whole lot to cross that arbitrary line.

Plutonic Panda
01-13-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't drink at all. I honestly think it should be raised to 0.10.

Plutonic Panda
01-13-2015, 10:52 PM
This could be a symptom of what Pete has been saying, that it is probably quite difficult to get experienced service staff in this environment, due to so many new restaurants opening. We had bad service at Fassler Hall the other day as well.Would it be worthwhile for someone to open up a specific school for training really good waiters and such and have extensive recruiting efforts? I'm sure we have a couple schools for that, but a really nice new one with high recruiting efforts surely could work better.

soonerguru
01-13-2015, 11:16 PM
This could be a symptom of what Pete has been saying, that it is probably quite difficult to get experienced service staff in this environment, due to so many new restaurants opening. We had bad service at Fassler Hall the other day as well.

Perhaps, although being friendly and greeting a new customer shouldn't be too hard to train or learn. I'm usually treated quite well at fast-food establishments that pay less than some hipster bar.

soonerguru
01-13-2015, 11:19 PM
We really love O & O. We have never sat at a table, though. We always sit at the bar and the service been fine. But that's what we tend to do at any establishment; sit at the bar if we can. There have only been two times ever that I got bad sevrice sitting at the bar.

I was sitting at the bar when I experienced the bad service. Just an FYI.

IanMcDermid
01-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Would it be worthwhile for someone to open up a specific school for training really good waiters and such and have extensive recruiting efforts? I'm sure we have a couple schools for that, but a really nice new one with high recruiting efforts surely could work better.

It's just a school of hard knocks... There's apprentice, journeyman, and master. %90 never make it to apprentice, no matter how long they work. They're just not cut for a career, or partial career. They don't take their job super seriously. It's a means to an end.

Apprentice is obviously at the bottom, but it takes commitment that this is a profession. Maybe a career. Most likely your just slanging sandies to pay for gas money until you get a real job. But...maybe this is a "until I grow up" multi year thing.

Journeyman level, you've got skillz and know the aloha like a champ: like casual italian, french, new american, and steak can earn up to 35-50k a year. It's a big boy job.

The master level, you could earn 6 figures as the career "front of house staffer," and ,usually, after some years, ends up in an ownership, general manager, or consultant position.

That's not an essay on O & O's staff. The first 90 days are so difficult. You have no idea. And staffing during a month when 4 other places opened and this is your first concept? Give the new guy a break.

IanMcDermid
01-14-2015, 12:53 AM
And I think what I meant by that diatribe: it's really hard right now to recruit veterans. I have 10yrs in the industry and with all that networking, after 12mos to recruit I'm STILL understaffed, and asking my people to work overtime. It's hard to find the perfect fits for your concept.

Plutonic Panda
01-14-2015, 02:06 AM
It's just a school of hard knocks... There's apprentice, journeyman, and master. %90 never make it to apprentice, no matter how long they work. They're just not cut for a career, or partial career. They don't take their job super seriously. It's a means to an end.

Apprentice is obviously at the bottom, but it takes commitment that this is a profession. Maybe a career. Most likely your just slanging sandies to pay for gas money until you get a real job. But...maybe this is a "until I grow up" multi year thing.

Journeyman level, you've got skillz and know the aloha like a champ: like casual italian, french, new american, and steak can earn up to 35-50k a year. It's a big boy job.

The master level, you could earn 6 figures as the career "front of house staffer," and ,usually, after some years, ends up in an ownership, general manager, or consultant position.

That's not an essay on O & O's staff. The first 90 days are so difficult. You have no idea. And staffing during a month when 4 other places opened and this is your first concept? Give the new guy a break.Wow. I didn't know all of that.

Jeepnokc
01-14-2015, 06:28 AM

Pretty much. The .08 standard is a political crime where the government has said you are under the influence regardless of whether you are actually impaired or not. It is a per se law.