View Full Version : Future Veterans Affairs Building

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Seems like it needs to be replaced pretty badly.

OKLAHOMA CITY - "Two separate entities" is the way the state Veterans affairs office describes its relationship with the federal VA.
While funding and some regulations do connect the two, current issues between the two are vastly different.

American Flags lining the main hall seem to be the only feature of pride on the walls of the 90-year-old building that houses the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs.

"Obviously we need a new building, that goes without saying," said ODVA's Shane Faulkner.

Shane Faulkner and ODVA employees worry about cracks, mold, and when it rains, the basement commonly floods, which is the office for the IT department.

"We don't feel this building shows the pride the veterans should have in their memorial building," said Faulkner.

Neither does Rep. Gary Banz, who's now pushed legislation through a six-year-old legislation plan that calls for up to $40 million to be used to build one new building for two departments, the state's VA and Mental Health.

"Both (buildings) are being on the verge of being condemned," said Banz.

Official condemned notice from the state, along with the money, is why Banz feels now is the right time to build. Bonds given to the ODVA 10 and 15 years ago will be used and Banz says this plan won't impact the overall budget like the Native American Museum or Capitol Repairs.

"That's all new money. What we're talking about has absolutely zero impact on this year's budget or budgets going forward," said Banz.

The Bill still has to pass through the full house and senate and be signed by Gov. Fallin.

Session is expected to end Friday.

- Oklahoma VA Requesting New Building - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/25582252/oklahoma-va-requesting-new-building)

DavidD_NorthOKC
05-21-2014, 10:32 PM
It probably should be condemned. Not an exaggeration at all.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 10:35 PM
I wasn't even aware of how bad it was honestly, by it seems to be in pretty bad condition.

Spartan
05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
This will get vetoed.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Well, looks like this isn't happening...

Oklahoma lawmakers shelve joint headquarters plan after veterans' protests | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-lawmakers-shelve-joint-headquarters-plan-after-veterans-protests/article/4850503)

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 01:56 AM
This will get vetoed.Just saw this... why did you think it wouldn't happen though?

Spartan
05-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Because I know Oklahoma.

Pete
05-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Coincidentally, I just found these renderings.

The first is mental health and second is veteran's affairs. This was a proposal done about a year ago.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mentalhealth.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/veterans.jpg

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow..... That was pretty neat. Sucks it didn't happen. Is there any chance it could be revived?

DavidD_NorthOKC
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I hope so. I think people might have been a little too sensitive about being in the same building with the Mental Health Dept. All that needed to be done to assuage those concerns IMO was to make separate entrances on opposite ends of the building and have some sort of visual separation. Give the agencies separate building number addresses and make some sort of separation in the parking lots too maybe. It looks like that was the intent from looking at the renderings so maybe those who objected did not see them?

The OK DVA needs a new facility badly.

bombermwc
05-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Well they're both just simple office buildings with a fancy façade (I'm not complaining here), so really you can do anything with it. I mean, they don't really have special needs for what this is as compared to say the actual hospital. I do wonder why the mental services are not being added on to the hospital though. And is that an auditorium on the affairs building or what? Seems kind of odd to use the space like that.

But I hope they do go through. If they end up on Lincoln, it would be a very welcome change to the scenery there. And I'd actually prefer that sort of low and long structure for Lincoln. Lining the road giving the "path" to the capital and all. Now we just need some trees on the road since they moved the lights out of the way.....step by step the road is SLOWLY making progress to come out of the pits of crap.