View Full Version : Rock Creek in Norman will it go further East.

sprdthewrd
05-20-2014, 12:16 AM
The Rock Creek segment over I-35 to University Park is complete. I now see building going on the other side of 24th to include extension of Rock Creek. But there is an airport there. Does anyone know of any plans to take Rock Creek further Eastward. We certainly need more East /West routes .Transtioning Robinson after 3:30 p.m. is a nightmare !!!

kevinpate
05-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Rock Creek already exists east of the airport. They will not be extending rock creek through the airport property however. Planes taking off and landing simply do not respond well to stop lights.

venture
05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
What Kevin said. Rock Creek already goes out to the lake. You can't really expect it to go through an airport, can you? lol

ljbab728
05-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Tunnel? :)

kevinpate
05-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Nah. Why bother, hardly anyone is using Tecumseh east of 35 these days already. That or I am exceptionally lucky when I use it. It's pretty barren still.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2014, 02:31 PM
http://herbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/airport-gibraltar-3.jpg ;)

venture
05-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah...this isn't Gibraltar though. :)

That airport usually averages about 10 airport movements a day compared to OUN which is around 135 aircraft movements per day.

Brownwood
05-29-2014, 07:31 AM
The Rock Creek segment over I-35 to University Park is complete. I now see building going on the other side of 24th to include extension of Rock Creek. But there is an airport there. Does anyone know of any plans to take Rock Creek further Eastward. We certainly need more East /West routes .Transtioning Robinson after 3:30 p.m. is a nightmare !!!

If I may, let me help clarify sprdthewrd's question. He/she observed road construction currently directly east of the 24th and Rock Creek intersection. The intersection is being "opened up" to the east, but I don't believe there is road going THROUGH the airport, only access to new construction / retail currently being built. The same as with Crest, Embassy Suites, etc.

My question is does anyone know what is under construction creating the need for the access point at this intersection?

bombermwc
05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
I noticed that too...I think to many people jumped to the assumption that the question was surrounding cutting through the airport. I don't think that was the intent of the question. It is a bit of a delay to have to go around the airport, but it's only a mile extra and all of 5 minutes. The same comes up with Tinker. It would be a lot faster to go up Midwest Blvd or Air Depot...or across 44th for a LOT of things. But tunneling for several miles under a stretch of land like either simply isn't practical for either location. You've got to have a MUCH higher urbanized environment to make it economically feasible.

But back to the question, there is room on the west side of the airport's land for construction...ie Embassy Suites is in the same position. You can do quite a bit with an 1/8-1/4 mile of land. The airport land doesn't extend very far west of the airport. So to me, it would only make sense to extend Rock Creek as far up to the fence as possible....squeeze in as much development as you can.

I'd really like to see some of this development turn into a mixed-use though. Some multi-level construction (maybe on top of the smaller shop buildings) would be nice in a "square" area.

venture
05-29-2014, 09:40 AM
The intersection with Rock Creek and 24th NW is already setup to allow Rock Creek to go further east. I want to say this is where the business park development will be going in. It is the development with office space and hangars for those that need them.