View Full Version : New Proposal for Having Chickens in Edmond

Plutonic Panda
05-15-2014, 09:05 PM
You know honestly, I can't even believe we are being regulated on this, but if anything, people should be allowed to have chickens.

EDMOND — Jamie Newton wants urban chickens in her Edmond backyard, but a city ordinance allows backyard egg-layers only on land zoned agricultural.

Newton has gardens at her home in the 1400 block of Mockingbird Lane and she would like to use the soil-enhancing waste on her plants. She also is interested in fresh eggs, something you can’t buy in the store, she said.

“I have a grandson, and he would be able to interact with another animal,” Newton said Wednesday.

Newton asked city council members this week to put backyard chickens on a future agenda for a possible change in the ordinance.

Much to her surprise Newton learned she wasn’t the only one in Edmond wanting chickens.

Mayor Charles Lamb said they have been looking at the wording of the ordinance because other people had requested backyard chickens.

- read more here: Some Edmond residents want chickens in their backyards | News OK (http://newsok.com/some-edmond-residents-want-chickens-in-their-backyards/article/4818396)

Mel
05-15-2014, 09:10 PM
So a lamb is deciding the fate of chickens. Hmmm.

oklip955
05-15-2014, 10:34 PM
There is a large national group Called Backyard chickens, there is a subgroup for Edmond. There is about 5 or 6 of us behind this. I live outside the city limits but have 13 chickens and guineas. We are talking about 6 or so for a backyard, more for acearages. For the ag zoning you have to have 5 ac. So right now 5 ac or more to have 3 chickens but you can have horses on 2 1/2 ac. Go figure.

BBatesokc
05-16-2014, 03:36 AM
I personally don't see Edmond passing this. Its a shame because acre lots and larger should be allowed as long as the HOA's also allow it. Unfortunately though many people will get on the chicken band wagon because 'its cool' and not realize you still have to clean up after them daily or you've got a stinky mess - that's the point at which it becomes a nuisance.

Our neighborhood does have a flock of Guineas that you see a couple of times a week.They just go from yard to yard eating bugs, ticks, snakes, weeds, etc. Pretty cool actually.

Plutonic Panda
05-16-2014, 04:17 AM
I personally don't see Edmond passing this. Its a shame because acre lots and larger should be allowed as long as the HOA's also allow it. Unfortunately though many people will get on the chicken band wagon because 'its cool' and not realize you still have to clean up after them daily or you've got a stinky mess - that's the point at which it becomes a nuisance.

Our neighborhood does have a flock of Guineas that you see a couple of times a week.They just go from yard to yard eating bugs, ticks, snakes, weeds, etc. Pretty cool actually.You know, I live on Coltrane and Covell and I think I have seen some around that intersection a few times. I saw someone nearly wreck trying to avoid hitting them.

BBatesokc
05-16-2014, 08:13 AM
You know, I live on Coltrane and Covell and I think I have seen some around that intersection a few times. I saw someone nearly wreck trying to avoid hitting them.

Not so much NW where you are, but several (3-4) houses East and SE of you have guineas and they wander towards your area. Just SE in Augusta Farms they have some HUGE domesticated turkeys that are simply beautiful and much friendlier than I would have thought. I've seen a handful of guineas in there too but I don't think they belong to any of the residence in AF. Neither the guineas nor the turkeys move very quickly to get out of the way of vehicles.