View Full Version : Cancelled shows

kelroy55
05-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Either I'm not watching as much TV or they cancelled fewer shows that I like. Two of the shows I liked are getting the ax but that's not too bad.

Canceled And Renewed TV Shows For The 2014-'15 Season (UPDATE) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/10/canceled-shows-renewed-shows_n_5301669.html)

Jeepnokc
05-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Either I'm not watching as much TV or they cancelled fewer shows that I like. Two of the shows I liked are getting the ax but that's not too bad.

Canceled And Renewed TV Shows For The 2014-'15 Season (UPDATE) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/10/canceled-shows-renewed-shows_n_5301669.html)

Which two shows did you like? We just started watching Friends with Better Lives and really enjoyed it as well as Trophy wife, Dads and the Crazy One.

kelroy55
05-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Looking closer there are 3 that I like that are getting the ax..... Almost Human, Killer Women and the new Ironside.

MadMonk
05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
The Blacklist, Modern Family, and Big Bang Theory are all sticking around for another season. I'm happy.

jerrywall
05-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Almost Human and Dracula are the ones I'm most disappointed about.

bradh
05-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I just want The Americans back

jerrywall
05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
I just want The Americans back

Season 3 has already been picked up, so you're safe there.

TheTravellers
05-12-2014, 11:48 AM
The Blacklist, Modern Family, and Big Bang Theory are all sticking around for another season. I'm happy.

I believe Big Bang Theory is going to run for 10 seasons and that's it. Next one will be the 8th, I think.

Dennis Heaton
05-12-2014, 12:24 PM
"Community" has been cancelled.

ctchandler
05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
I watch very little, but a friend in Alabama got me hooked on NCIS. Is this the last season. Also, I really enjoy James Spader and I have enjoyed the Blacklist, so glad to see it will be around for another season. That's all I care about.
C. T.

Dennis Heaton
05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
As long as PBS (OETA) stays on the air, I'm happy!

Mel
05-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I liked "Almost Human", Karl Urban cracks me up.

venture
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I liked "Almost Human", Karl Urban cracks me up.

As did I. The main problem it seems with these shows that did get cancelled this year (that I liked) is they struggled for the first few weeks to really get interesting. The concepts kept me tuned in, but the story didn't kick off until later. I still have 3 episodes to go of Almost Human and will probably finish it out. I sometimes wish that networks would cancel these shows earlier so they can wrap them up if needed at the end.

traxx
05-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Aww crap. The Carrie Diaries got cancelled. Which is not surprising. I'll admit, it wasn't a great TV show, but it was a guilty pleasure that I enjoyed.

kelroy55
05-12-2014, 02:02 PM
As did I. The main problem it seems with these shows that did get cancelled this year (that I liked) is they struggled for the first few weeks to really get interesting. The concepts kept me tuned in, but the story didn't kick off until later. I still have 3 episodes to go of Almost Human and will probably finish it out. I sometimes wish that networks would cancel these shows earlier so they can wrap them up if needed at the end.

or let them run a while longer. If I remember right MASH didn't have a big following the first year.

kevinpate
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
I believe Big Bang Theory is going to run for 10 seasons and that's it. Next one will be the 8th, I think.

BBT was picked up weeks back for a several season commitment. Yeah, it's that good. Even the weak links play well.

venture
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Aww crap. The Carrie Diaries got cancelled. Which is not surprising. I'll admit, it wasn't a great TV show, but it was a guilty pleasure that I enjoyed.

I would say the Tomorrow People was mine, but I was glad the finale wrapped up a lot of things to where it isn't a huge let down when it was cancelled.

kevinpate
05-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I watch very little, but a friend in Alabama got me hooked on NCIS. Is this the last season. Also, I really enjoy James Spader and I have enjoyed the Blacklist, so glad to see it will be around for another season. That's all I care about.
C. T.

NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles are both renewef. There was talk of a NOVA one with Scott Bakula as their 'gibbs' type.
uncertain if that is still the plan but glad the other two are strong.

Dubya61
05-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I honestly wish that more shows were designed for a one or two season run with an end in sight. Too many go on and on and jump the shark. I was pretty excited about CBS's Under the Dome thinking it would be just a season long. I like(d) the show and am somewhat disappointed that it's extended for another (summer) season. Some of my favorite shows set their own ending. Mary Tyler Moore, M*A*S*H, Bob Newhart, St. Elsewhere. I really like mini-series, too. Roots and all the James Michener stories were great to watch (or so I'm told -- I'm not really that old, am I?), but even some of the mini-series seemed to have problems writing their own ending (see: V). There have been some good short series recently that I liked (knowing they were short): The River and Harpers Island. I liked Lost -- at least up until the last show when they revealed that they really didn't have a clue where they were going with it. Why can't they do like HBO and Showtime and let a series have a respectable life and kill it off in style?

traxx
05-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I honestly wish that more shows were designed for a one or two season run with an end in sight. Too many go on and on and jump the shark. I was pretty excited about CBS's Under the Dome thinking it would be just a season long. I like(d) the show and am somewhat disappointed that it's extended for another (summer) season. Some of my favorite shows set their own ending. Mary Tyler Moore, M*A*S*H, Bob Newhart, St. Elsewhere. I really like mini-series, too. Roots and all the James Michener stories were great to watch (or so I'm told -- I'm not really that old, am I?), but even some of the mini-series seemed to have problems writing their own ending (see: V). There have been some good short series recently that I liked (knowing they were short): The River and Harpers Island. I liked Lost -- at least up until the last show when they revealed that they really didn't have a clue where they were going with it. Why can't they do like HBO and Showtime and let a series have a respectable life and kill it off in style?

With the success of Breaking Bad and it having a closed ending, I wonder why more shows, and the networks, aren't going this direction.

Vince Gilligan always said that the guy has cancer, it has to end. It's not one of those shows that can keep going on and on.

I once read something about TV shows.(wish I could remember who said it). They said that TV shows ignore the natural arc of a story. Because networks look at it from a purely business standpoint, if a show is successful then they'll keep it going for as long as possible. Which leads to shows jumping the shark and/or overstaying their welcome. MASH being a prime example of a show that oversayed its welcome. But many don't remember that it had gotten very stale because it went out so well with its finale.

traxx
05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
BBT was picked up weeks back for a several season commitment. Yeah, it's that good. Even the weak links play well.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good. Same with 2.5 men. I never understood the appeal of that show, yet it stayed on for years. Yet a show like Arrested Development was not popular at all but was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that just because a show is popular that it sucks. And I'm also not saying that just because a show is niche that its brilliant. Just that we shouldn't confuse popular with good.

However, if that was said tongue-in-cheek, then excuse me.

SoonerDave
05-12-2014, 03:00 PM
With the success of Breaking Bad and it having a closed ending, I wonder why more shows, and the networks, aren't going this direction.

Vince Gilligan always said that the guy has cancer, it has to end. It's not one of those shows that can keep going on and on.

I once read something about TV shows.(wish I could remember who said it). They said that TV shows ignore the natural arc of a story. Because networks look at it from a purely business standpoint, if a show is successful then they'll keep it going for as long as possible. Which leads to shows jumping the shark and/or overstaying their welcome. MASH being a prime example of a show that oversayed its welcome. But many don't remember that it had gotten very stale because it went out so well with its finale.

As a big-time MASH die-hard, I have to admit I was one for whom the finale did nothing, and found it be very much reflective of the really sad way the show had deteriorated from great satirical comedy to really, really bad dramedy. Hawkeye goes nuts, but then gets better, KLinger stays in Korea, until they ramp up his TV show...all the strawman dramatic things they built up to tear down just felt like a cheat to me. Maybe I expected too much.

When I get to watch MASH reruns, its almost always something from the first three seasons - maybe a few into as far as season 5 or so, but as for the rest....

And BBT, its heyday, absolutely was that good. Not as much lately, and I don't care at all for their penchant for crude sexual jokes, but most of the time its a great concept that's really well executed.

traxx
05-12-2014, 03:04 PM
As a big-time MASH die-hard, I have to admit I was one for whom the finale did nothing, and found it be very much reflective of the really sad way the show had deteriorated from great satirical comedy to really, really bad dramedy. Hawkeye goes nuts, but then gets better, KLinger stays in Korea, until they ramp up his TV show...all the strawman dramatic things they built up to tear down just felt like a cheat to me. Maybe I expected too much.

When I get to watch MASH reruns, its almost always something from the first three seasons - maybe a few into as far as season 5 or so, but as for the rest....

And BBT, its heyday, absolutely was that good. Not as much lately, and I don't care at all for their penchant for crude sexual jokes, but most of the time its a great concept that's really well executed.

I used to be a big time MASH fan too. And MASH when Trapper was on it was really funny. In the later seasons, Alda took over and imposed his will on the show. That's when it became a bad dramedy. Emphasis on the dram and not so much the medy. The show basically became a sounding board for his own, personal views.

bradh
05-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Parks and Recreation not starting until January, and then next season is the end. Booooooooooooooooooooo

traxx
05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
We just started watching Friends with Better Lives

Didja watch last night?

"You're a big girl."

This show may turn out to be good.

RadicalModerate
05-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I honestly am not really familiar with any of the shows on either list.
Not braggin' . . . Simply previously unaware of how out of the loop I was on Pop Culture Advertising Ops. =)

(I was not happy with the way Deadwood ended. I was also not happy that you couldn't rent Season II of Carnivale at Blockbuster. Corner Gas isn't even being rerun on WGN anymore. =)

SoonerDave
05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Really think NBC yanked "Michael J. Fox's" new show too quickly. It was witty, had an edge, and I think the fact Fox was doing a show that embraced his Parkinson's with a touch of humor made everyone, well, nervous. There were some really fun characters that were just getting drawn out, but since not every other joke was sex-laced and required at least a modicum of thought, I guess it had no hope. *sigh*

(p.s. Yes, MASH was dreadful ratings-wise in its first season, and dropped again after Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson left following Season 3. That was the 1972-1975 time frame, and advertisers/networks were just starting to get their heads around the notion of "demographics" after TV execs were stunned at the syndication success of Star Trek in the early 70's....when the raw ratings numbers were dreadful, but they didn't know it was a smash among the high-spending crowd until after NBC cancelled it, and advertisers wanted to know what Nielsen had missed....they just weren't measuring the right thing).

The point is that ratings are anything but infallible. Makes it even sadder that the current mentality is you may not make it through your first half-season if you're not a monster smash hit from Day One.

Jeepnokc
05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Didja watch last night?

"You're a big girl."

This show may turn out to be good.

We did watch it. The show has a lot of potential so it is a shame they are cancelling it.

traxx
05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
We did watch it. The show has a lot of potential so it is a shame they are cancelling it.

It's on the canceled list?

traxx
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Really think NBC yanked "Michael J. Fox's" new show too quickly. It was witty, had an edge, and I think the fact Fox was doing a show that embraced his Parkinson's with a touch of humor made everyone, well, nervous. There were some really fun characters that were just getting drawn out, but since not every other joke was sex-laced and required at least a modicum of thought, I guess it had no hope. *sigh*

I think the problem with MJF Show was that they leaned on the Parkinson jokes too much. It's like, alright we get it. You're okay with making fun of your disease. Now write something funny.

kevinpate
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
It's on the canceled list?

Yep, #FWBL has already been cancelled. When the current shows are done, it's done.
Not every show with some potential gets the chance to prove it.

Dubya61
05-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Yep, #FWBL has already been cancelled. When the current shows are done, it's done.
Not every show with some potential gets the chance to prove it.

I wish that the networks were obligated to have a series finale in their back pocket like some newpapers are wont to do with obituaries.
I understand that the mega-buying viewers that networks want weren't the ones watching Harry's Law, but I liked it, and then suddenly: BOOM -- gone.
Where's my wrap-up obit? Oh well, now what? Actually interact with the other life forms that share my residence? shudder. find another show.

kevinpate
05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I wish that the networks were obligated to have a series finale in their back pocket like some newpapers are wont to do with obituaries.

Felt that way when HBO cancelled Carnivāle a ways back.

TheTravellers
05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good. Same with 2.5 men. I never understood the appeal of that show, yet it stayed on for years. Yet a show like Arrested Development was not popular at all but was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that just because a show is popular that it sucks. And I'm also not saying that just because a show is niche that its brilliant. Just that we shouldn't confuse popular with good.

However, if that was said tongue-in-cheek, then excuse me.

We have been amazed that we're watching a show that's actually in the top 10, we are pretty much poster children for watching odd, offbeat, or non-popular shows (American Horror Story, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Whitney, BBT, the other show with James Van Der Beek in it recently, numerous shows that didn't make it out of the first season, etc.) that are good. BBT is actually good, *and* popular, it's got "smart" jokes, which is completely different from 2.5 Men, which is just sophomoric most of the time, which is odd 'cos they're both Chuck Lorre shows. BBT did get a "several season commitment", but only through season 10, so several = three in this case. :D And of course, YMMV when defining "good", as always....

traxx
05-13-2014, 02:12 PM
We have been amazed that we're watching a show that's actually in the top 10, we are pretty much poster children for watching odd, offbeat, or non-popular shows (American Horror Story, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Whitney, BBT, the other show with James Van Der Beek in it recently, numerous shows that didn't make it out of the first season, etc.) that are good. BBT is actually good, *and* popular, it's got "smart" jokes, which is completely different from 2.5 Men, which is just sophomoric most of the time, which is odd 'cos they're both Chuck Lorre shows. BBT did get a "several season commitment", but only through season 10, so several = three in this case. :D And of course, YMMV when defining "good", as always....

Yeah, I watched the other show with Van Der Beek too. Don't trust the B. I worked with him for a while once (name drop) so I kinda keep up with his career. This was before Dawson's Creek that I worked with him.

BBT does have it's moments. It just doesn't have enough of them to me. And believe me, I've tried to force myself to like it because everyone says it's so great. But I read something a few months back (whish I could remember who said this), but they were talking about one episode in particular where the guys were in a comic book shop (I think I've actually seen this one) and a girl walks in. One of the guys says, "Is she lost?" And that was the joke.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about BBT.

TheTravellers
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I watched the other show with Van Der Beek too. Don't trust the B. I worked with him for a while once (name drop) so I kinda keep up with his career. This was before Dawson's Creek that I worked with him.

BBT does have it's moments. It just doesn't have enough of them to me. And believe me, I've tried to force myself to like it because everyone says it's so great. But I read something a few months back (whish I could remember who said this), but they were talking about one episode in particular where the guys were in a comic book shop (I think I've actually seen this one) and a girl walks in. One of the guys says, "Is she lost?" And that was the joke.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about BBT.

Yeah, see, that joke is why I like BBT - I've been in comic shops many many many times over my life and pretty much never saw a female in one by herself of her own free will, so I laughed at that 'cos it was just totally the truth.

kevinpate
05-13-2014, 04:30 PM
... the guys were in a comic book shop (I think I've actually seen this one) and a girl walks in. One of the guys says, "Is she lost?" And that was the joke.

Just one of those funny because it's true moments in life.

kelroy55
05-14-2014, 09:30 AM
NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles are both renewef. There was talk of a NOVA one with Scott Bakula as their 'gibbs' type.
uncertain if that is still the plan but glad the other two are strong.

I like both but watched NCIS the most. Not sure how they can keep the same story line going for so long.

venture
05-14-2014, 10:59 AM
CBS announced today that Two and a Half Men will end after the 2014/2015 season.

RadicalModerate
05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
CBS announced today that Two and a Half Men will end after the 2014/2015 season.

I'm not sure that it's true . . . yet I think I heard that a local cable broadcaster was going to cancel access to The Weather Channel. I hope it was just a rumor.