View Full Version : No-kill animal shelters?

TheTravellers
04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
We've got a cat that someone dumped (obviously used to be an indoor cat) in our neighborhood last fall and we've been kind of fostering her (food, water, bed in the garage, keeping her in the garage when it's cold/stormy, etc.) since then. We can't make her ours since already have 2 cats, and this situation just isn't sustainable in the long run, so we need to try to find a permanent home for her. Asked our vet, she recommended Pets and People (they only rescue animals from euthanasia, they don't take animals from the public), Free to Live (they're full), and the City of Edmond shelter (they're not no-kill, but only euthanize in behavioral and illness situations, neither of which she has, so that might be the only option). We would pay for vet bills, etc. (kind of what Free to Live calls "sponsoring" an animal) just to get her out there somewhere that she could be adopted, and we just don't have the time to put her on Craigslist or do it ourselves, anybody know of any other places besides the three I mentioned that we could try? I am going through the shelters on Oklahoma > No Kill Animal Shelters > The nOkill Network (http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Oklahoma/) to see if any of them would be workable, thought someone on here might know of someplace off the top of their head (or might want a nice indoor cat that's probably about 5-6 years old :D ), thanks...

PennyQuilts
04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
No help to you but If I think of something I'll come back. Thanks for doing what you can for her.

OSUPeterson
04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
You should contact Oklahoma Central Humane Society. I have adopted dogs and fostered dogs through them. They do lots of cats as well and I believe they take surrenders.

FritterGirl
04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
The Bella Foundation does wonderful work, as well. Please don't put her on Craigslist. Sadly, there are pet predators out there whose intentions are not good.

TheTravellers
04-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks, we'll talk to them (doesn't look like Bella takes from the public, though, but we'll ask). Safe Haven was mentioned, but looks like they're not taking anybody either. And no, we'd never put her up on any list or website or such, we'll let agencies/shelters decide if someone's a good match or not...

Mel
04-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Pets and People at the Yukon Shelter may be worth a call. You see their cats at PetSmart.

TheTravellers
04-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Pets and People at the Yukon Shelter may be worth a call. You see their cats at PetSmart.

Thanks, but I already called them, listened to their msg which said they don't take surrenders, they just rescue soon-to-be-euthanized from shelters.

Dubya61
04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Surrendering her to the OKC Animal Welfare Division (AWD) (at SE 29th and Bryant / Grand?) is probably the best thing you can do for her. Don't turn her in as an owner surrender (this is not a lie, you're not her owner), as this will result in fewer days for her to be available for review / adoption, etc. While a lot of the rescue groups you mentioned say they don't take animals from the public, they DO take animals from the OKC AWD.
A few disclaimers: The OKC AWD is staffed with a lot of caring people who do the best they can for pets on OKC, but the sad truth is that there are lots and lots of animals they must take in for one reason or another. The numbers are against them and, while they try to be a no-kill shelter, they fall far short. They do have an adoption program of their own. That said, it's about the only option you have short of really putting in some work to find her another home on your own. My wife works with several rescues and the numbers are against them, too. You mentioned Free to Live's "sponsoring" process. That's something like what you'd have to do with some other rescues, but not quite to that extent. For instance, with Safe Haven, you might get them to put the cat in their program so long as you continue to keep the animal at your house and transport it to the various adoption events until she gets adopted.
My suggestion, take the animal to OKC AWD. Be sure to note she's a stray and fill them in with all the information you have on her so that she doesn't get lumped in with the ferals who are unadoptable.
Friend, the work you are doing to keep this cat safe is admirable. I hope you can find satisfaction in one of the options available to you.