View Full Version : How Have Your Music Tastes Changed (through the years)?

Dennis Heaton
04-18-2014, 07:33 AM
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and loved the "Oldies."

Mid 60's to mid 70's...Psychedelic/Acid Rock.

Last half of the 70's to mid 80's...Country (got hooked at the "Saddle Sore Saloon").

Last half of 80's to early 90's...Oldies and Pop (dance club music...i.e. "Studebakers").

Mid 90's to early 2000's...Country/Southern Gospel, Praise and Worship, and Messianic.

This decade...Oldies, Classic Country, and Celtic.

Next decade? Lawrence Welk? (God, just shoot me!)

And, should I EVER end up in a Retirement Home, I will wake up everyday to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP94PlEtsEQ

old okie
04-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Got a good chuckle out of your post...especially the Lawrence Welk comment!

Grew up on the Beatles in h.s., but got hooked on "House of the Rising Sun" in college and never looked back [still my most fav song]! Heavy metal for me for about 60% of what I like; will listen to a tad of country [Garth & Carrie, mostly]; but do love techno, alternative, dance, and yes, even Adele! Hubby likes country & oldies. It's hard to find something we both like while in the vehicles together! :)

Roger S
04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
After I became a musician in my twenties. I learned to appreciate a lot of music I hated in my rebellious 80's metal teenage years.

Today I have a very eclectic taste in music..... Although I still do, and probably always will, dislike Top 40/Pop music..... Arghhhhh... I even have a hard time referring to it as music.

Dennis Heaton
04-18-2014, 08:47 AM
I learned to appreciate a lot of music I hated in my rebellious 80's metal teenage years.

I was sooooo glad that my two oldest didn't get into metal music back in the 80's. They had their own "boomboxes" back then. My daughter was into groups like the Back Street Boys and most of the young teenage girl singers. My son was into Bobby Brown and Ricky Nelson (I dunno where that came from). My youngest (about to become a teenager this year) was singing, "Baby Got Back," when he was 3 years old (He picked that up from living with his mom).

Roger S
04-18-2014, 08:52 AM
I was sooooo glad that my two oldest didn't get into metal music back in the 80's.

I think I was driven to it after years of having to listen to Nashville country..... Even during my teen years I was still into the Outlaw Country Movement. It wasn't uncommon to find me with a mix tape that had Waylon, Ozzy, Willie, & Metallica on it.

Dennis Heaton
04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
OMGosh, OK BBQ Eater! Now THAT is a "mix!"

Roger S
04-18-2014, 09:28 AM
OMGosh, OK BBQ Eater! Now THAT is a "mix!"

It's even more ecclectic these days..... Just a few I have on my cloud right now.... Anthrax, Beastie Boys, Black Crowes, Black Sabbath, Chris LeDoux, Cracker, Crash Test Dummies, Drive-By Truckers, Dwight Yoakam, The Gourds, Gram Parsons, Hank Williams, Hank III, Iron Maiden, James Brown, The Jayhawks, Jerry Jeff Walker, Johnny Cash, Kiss, L.A. Guns, Lucero, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Megadeth, Motorhead, N.W.A., Old 97's, Otis Redding, Pantera, Parliament, Pearl Jam, Rollins Band, Son Volt, Soundgarden, Sublime, Suicidal Tendencies, Uncle Tupelo, Waylon Jennings, White Zombie, Wilco...... And that's the bands I think people have heard of.... I probably have twice as many artists on my cloud that aren't played on the radio.

Achilleslastand
04-18-2014, 10:33 AM
In a word no.....
Grew up on the Beatles and then a tad later Led Zeppelin. And until someone can equal their library of work I see no reason to change.

TheTravellers
04-18-2014, 12:01 PM
First single (yes, 7" vinyl single) I bought, I believe, was Sly's "Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Again", first album I bought was either "Song Remains the Same" or KISS's "Dressed To Kill". Listened to all kinds of genres (except classical and country and smooth jazz) way back, now it's pretty much the same, tastes haven't changed, gotten broader over the years, actually - metal, country (only old country, though - Hank Sr., Patsy, Waylon, Johnny), folk, bluegrass, bebop (and other jazz, but not smooth jazz), Miles 70s periods (favorite period) as well as all his other periods, "alternative", EDM, dubstep, Aphex Twin, Lou Reed/VU, some "classic" rock (but not Southern Rock or most of the stuff they play constantly on the radio as "classic" rock, just heard it way too much), Lee Hazlewood, funk (P-Funk, man, can't beat some of their stuff), soul, ballads (Julie London, Frank), some opera/classical (mainly 20th century - Ligeti, etc.), blues, Chris Whitley, pop (mostly old pop), girl groups, surf music, avant-garde whatever (Angus MacLise, Bobby Beausoleil, Lamonte Young), grunge, gospel, Tropicalia, Middle Eastern music, "world" music, alternative, ad infinitum. Can't stagnate, have to keep moving (in all areas of life, not just music).

Dennis Heaton
04-18-2014, 12:18 PM
First single (yes, 7" vinyl single) I bought, I believe, was Sly's "Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Again"

I hadn't thought about the first record (45) I bought. I think it was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkoidwsLXCg

kelroy55
04-18-2014, 12:20 PM
I grew up with Led Zep, Black Sabbath and still listen to them. I listen to a lot more Blues now and a little country like Cash. I like lots of different music and even a little rap (Kid Rock kind). I range from Classical to hard rock. The last CD I got was The Pretty Reckless.

RadicalModerate
04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
I started listening to the radio in about '61 or '62. The first 45 I ever bought was 409/Surfin'Safari by the Beach Boys. The first LP was the first Peter Paul and Mary album.
Later I became a big Beatles (and other Brit bands) fan. Then it was Hendrix and The Doors and Cream (and Jethro Tull) that were some of my favorites for awhile. Did I forget The Byrds? I wore their records out.

At some point, after I first heard Kris Kristofferson's version--that is, the original version--of Me and Bobby McGee, I was hooked on country and country rock: Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, Tom T. Hall, Linda Ronstadt, The Eagles, Pure Prairie League, etc. I like some of the older country classics from the 50's as well. And truck driving songs. Of course I still listened to some rock but not as much as country.

I was really into The Talking Heads, Tom Petty, Dire Straits and many of the other bands when MTV was just beginning.
And, of course Steely Dan.

Later, my tastes started turning in the direction of Celtic (Lorena McKennit, Clannad/Enya) and I used to listen to the jazz station a lot.

Today, I Iike every type of music that is performed well. From sultry saloon singers such as Diana Krall to all time talents like Tony Bennett to amazing songwriters like John Fullbright to real vocalists, such as Andrea Bocelli, and even a lot of what I hear on various programs on The Spy (even if I can't name any of the bands) and I listen to Hardluck Jim's Blues Program every chance I get. I like the band at Ingrid's and the other night we were blown away by a duo "Pierce Hart" that played at Sean Cummings Pub.

Howerver: Trout Fishing in America is still my all-around, all-time favorite musical duo.

kelroy55
04-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I thought about this thread as I sit on my new patio furniture, having a drink, smoking a cigar and listening to some classical with some Yo Yo Ma tossed in and completely content.

OKCisOK4me
04-18-2014, 05:38 PM
I listen to A LOT of electronica, primarily trance with sub classifications of vocal or progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelroy55
04-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I listen to A LOT of electronica, primarily trance with sub classifications of vocal or progressive.

That's something I haven't listened to a lot but I'll give it a try. Switched from classical to the Allman Bro's now.

Mel
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM

I use ITunes Radio for that type of music. Can be very relaxing. Overall I don't think my taste have changed much.