View Full Version : Oklahoma City Cricket Club

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
To the casual passerby, Douglass Park resembles little more than a suburban patch of green grass near a major highway intersection.

White soccer goalposts are scattered and tilted on their sides. A chain-link fence separates an industrial zone from a handful of baseball fields with no backstops. To the west, the Devon Tower erupts from the skyline where Interstate 35 meets Interstate 40.

It’s a former city water and waste site turned into a livable outdoor space. But to a team still chasing childhood dreams, it means so much more.

Douglass Park, 709 N Bryant Ave., is home to the Oklahoma City Strikers Cricket Club, a group of amateur cricket players. In the northwest corner of the park, a newly installed grass surface plays host to its games against teams from Oklahoma and Kansas. And while the surroundings might be modest, it is another major building block toward the team’s ultimate goal.

“We want to get to the professional level soon,” said Nash Kanaan, 32, Strikers president. “Eventually, with some help, we’ll get there.”

It’s a dream that began in 2001, when Andy Westmuckett, 55, and a few others founded the club.

What started as eight people gathering weekly to run drills has evolved into 35 men comprising two teams who play in a highly competitive amateur league. The Strikers used to play in a retention pond in south Oklahoma City. Anytime a game was interrupted by rainfall, play was canceled because of the likelihood the pond would flood.

But with permission from the city and help from some corporate sponsors — Connelly Pavement Co., Jacobs General Contracting and Urban Lawn and Landscape Inc. — the team was able to claim the new playing space as home.

“Our sponsors have been really generous this year,” Kanaan said. “We don’t really get much help from the city. It’s not their fault. They’ve been really fair to us to help us in whatever ways they can. But it’s a budget issue.”

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-cricket-club-expands-with-new-field-increased-membership/article/3975756

bradh
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
i watched this on ESPN last Sunday, and this has to be what a non-American feels like watching baseball. i don't get it at all, but looked fun

Pete
04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
The international matches often last several days.

After spending a lot of time in England and Australia I learned the rules, but I just couldn't get into it.

AP
04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
I've actually been super interested in cricket since I saw international students playing at OSU. Do they have a website or any type of day where they teach people how to play the game.

Urbanized
04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Watched a little bit when I was in Oxford, England a few years ago. And by a little bit I mean I watched for about 15 minutes and then said "which way to that pasty shop again?"

Dubya61
04-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Watched a little bit when I was in Oxford, England a few years ago. And by a little bit I mean I watched for about 15 minutes and then said "which way to that pasty shop again?"

mmm. I love me some pasties!

Mel
04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Either I have a dirty mind or that is another word the Brits spell differently.

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
You know, thinking of this, I don't know why I didn't post this in the sports section. I sat there trying to debate where to post it and completely forgot about Sports lol

Mississippi Blues
04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
...After spending a lot of time in England and Australia I learned the rules...

I'll be in England this summer and plan on learning a bit about cricket. Like pahdz said, it looks fun.

betts
04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
I was in Bermuda once during a big tournament. Someone sitting behind me explained the rules as we were watching. I understood them at the time and really enjoyed the match. But out of sight, out of mind and I can't remember a thing.

Garin
04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
http://youtu.be/_ePx61TkXKY

Best Cricket clip ever

Mel
04-16-2014, 08:26 PM
That was interesting. Looks painful.

ctchandler
04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Mel,
A pastry originally from Cornwall. They are very good and I think a sausage roll is considered a "pasty".
C. T.
Either I have a dirty mind or that is another word the Brits spell differently.

Mel
04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Mel,
A pastry originally from Cornwall. They are very good and I think a sausage roll is considered a "pasty".
C. T.

I thought it might be something like that.

no1cub17
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I was in Bermuda once during a big tournament. Someone sitting behind me explained the rules as we were watching. I understood them at the time and really enjoyed the match. But out of sight, out of mind and I can't remember a thing.

A Bermudan made one of the most incredible catches during the '07 Cricket World Cup in their match vs India - is that when you were there? Really incredible stuff. Still have never seen anything quite like it. Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4nfxwER6c

I'm going to email the club and ask if they can accomodate beginners. I'd love to play actual organized cricket. I play with my cousins when I go to India, but playing on the street with a tennis ball and versus actual cricket are totally different animals. I'll email the author of the article too. Really incredible that cricket is even mentioned in the Oklahoman - pretty impressive. International cricket is a lot of fun to follow. I'd love to go to the World Cup in Australia/NZ next year. India vs South Africa at Melbourne (>100K seat stadium) will be amazing.

betts
04-18-2014, 08:18 AM
A Bermudan made one of the most incredible catches during the '07 Cricket World Cup in their match vs India - is that when you were there? Really incredible stuff. Still have never seen anything quite like it. Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4nfxwER6c

I'm going to email the club and ask if they can accomodate beginners. I'd love to play actual organized cricket. I play with my cousins when I go to India, but playing on the street with a tennis ball and versus actual cricket are totally different animals. I'll email the author of the article too. Really incredible that cricket is even mentioned in the Oklahoman - pretty impressive. International cricket is a lot of fun to follow. I'd love to go to the World Cup in Australia/NZ next year. India vs South Africa at Melbourne (>100K seat stadium) will be amazing.

I was there in about 2002, I think. They have a huge cricket tournament annually, I believe, and that's when we were there. I know that one of the players (batter?) broke a record at the match we were at and it was a big deal.

borchard
04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
A few months ago a friend of mine and I sat in McNellies and watched an international cricket match on his iPad. As we watched I googled the Rules of Cricket, and read them out loud as we watched. We honestly got more confused AFTER reading the rules, but we still watched and tried to figure out who was actually winning. lol