View Full Version : Opinions on Power Lines effect on Property Values/Health Issues.

Filthy
04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to throw this one out there. I've read up as much as I can on the subject, and it seems as if it comes down to personal preference.

I've been in the market for a house for quite some time now. We continue to miss out on homes, after only being listed for a day or so. Even lost out on this last one, offering full asking price on the first day it was on market.

So, we have now found a house that fits all of our needs, and meets all criteria...with the exception of the fact that major power lines run right behind the property. These are the big boy power lines that run East/West through North Edmond, between Covell and Coffee Creek. The power lines are probably 100 yards away from the property line to the rear, but you can still hear them buzzing pretty good.

My questions remain the same....

1. What are your personal thoughts on how much this should effect the property values, in regards to my offer price, and in regards to resale as well. I would think, that all houses in that general vicinity have already absorbed the effect on the hit of property values, and are priced accordingly....with the notion that the wires were there when the houses were built.

2. Health concerns? This subject has been debated over the last 30 years, but there is still some belief that high powered transmission wires, such as these create an EMF, that COULD cause childhood Leukemia. Once again, its heavily debated, and those who say that it does...do not offer hard line evidence...but do have some testing that shows it is somewhat more common....when a young child lives very close to a high level EMF. I have two children, ages 3 and 8...so, this would be a concern if there was concrete evidence.

So, sorry for the long post...but just wanted to see what the opinion was of the every day poster here. This house has been on the market for 45 days, which is A lot longer than any others in the neighborhood, and we feel like it is due the transmission power lines running right behind the property. Other than that, we love the house. I want to feel good about my purchase, not only for investment purposes, but being able to sleep at night, not thinking that I would be putting my two children at risk for long term health issues. What say you?

oklip955
04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
I would pass on it. I've know an older couple who lived with the same large power lines across their acrage. Both of their "boys" had strange major health issues. Brain tumor and strange eye problem that led to blindness. I would not take the possible risk. Just wait and the "right property will come up. You can search the MLS directly and then have your realtor set up your showing. Happy hunting.

Filthy
04-17-2014, 07:25 AM
You can search the MLS directly and then have your realtor set up your showing. Happy hunting.

Understood. We've been set up on MLS, and have been working with a realtor for almost a year now. For the most part, we know every house that opens up on the market, as soon as it does. Current house is paid for so there's no worry of having to sell. So, just looking for the perfect house. We didn't want to have to wait for another 6-8 months for us to build one...but its been so long now, that we could have built...and already been moved in. So frustrated at this point.

Jeepnokc
04-17-2014, 07:35 AM
When we were looking for a house, we saw one that we liked online. When we pulled up to the open house and saw the huge power lines running across the backside of the property, we didn't even get out of the car. No way it doesn't affect resale or property value.

kevinpate
04-17-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm with jeepnokc on this one. If I were to decide to look for someplace different, it would not be in the vicinity of big arse power lines.
One, they are ugly. Two, they are really ugly. Three, they make folks nervous for a number of reasons, though perhaps not all those reasons are sound. As I can find plenty to fret over on my own, no need to deliberately add to my mix.

SOONER8693
04-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Lived for 9 yrs in Hutchinson, Ks, with the high voltage type in our side yard. They were within 15 yards of the house. Never had a health issue. Dad lived to be 82, mom 96. All of us healthy as can/could be.

jn1780
04-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I believe some people are more sensitive to EM fields than others.

If anything I would want to be near a big power line because it could end up on my house during a storm.

Filthy
04-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. The last thing I want to do is put my childrens health at risk. The house seems like everything we need, its on a nice sized lot, and fits within our budget, in the Deer Creek school district etc... Its exactly what we needed. But maybe the property being by the power lines is WHY it was within our budget. Either way, we made an offer (and for the most part at full asking price)...and they countered higher. We made a final offer last night, and then were told by the listing agent that the sellers were removing the house from the market. Seems a little shady to me.

Anyways, here's the pic of the house with the transmission power lines behind the fence line. And just out of view in the picture (cleverly placed) is the huge power pole. Those are the Bog Dog lines, that clear across the city.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq241/Filthy09/picture-uha01844f16b3335fda94c429e03cd3f-pscabd7ebeed1fcace86522e792acd2ab9_zps309636f6.jpg (http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Filthy09/media/picture-uha01844f16b3335fda94c429e03cd3f-pscabd7ebeed1fcace86522e792acd2ab9_zps309636f6.jpg .html)

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq241/Filthy09/picture-uh3cb0a2a31f45a30c9ac17475aabc519-ps2f5eb17d85a15c16cfce658b93f9dabc_zpsf2f590e3.jpg (http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Filthy09/media/picture-uh3cb0a2a31f45a30c9ac17475aabc519-ps2f5eb17d85a15c16cfce658b93f9dabc_zpsf2f590e3.jpg .html)

MadMonk
04-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Nope. Not for any particular health reasons (though that would always be in the back of my mind), but your resale value will suffer. My wife was in real estate for several years and she had one house that had high-tension lines running much farther away than those and she had a heck of a time selling that house for what would otherwise be a great price. I personally wouldn't want to live that close, for much the same reason stated above - concern about what happens when they snap in a storm.