View Full Version : Museum Film Curator Leaving

KenRagsdale
04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Film curator is leaving the Oklahoma City Museum of Art | News OK (http://newsok.com/film-curator-is-leaving-the-oklahoma-city-museum-of-art/article/3952834)

Stew
04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
I have enjoyed many films there. I wish Brian all the best.

zookeeper
04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I saw that. It didn't mention his future plans. Anybody know the scoop? Brian's a great guy and has done a good job.

shawnw
04-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Until I read Steve's tweets on the matter, I didn't realize my enjoyment of indie movies there was so dependent on Brian.

soonerguru
04-08-2014, 10:42 PM
This is a sad development. Apparently the director of the museum is making life hell for many good people like Brian, who is a one-man cultural dynamo for OKC.

trousers
04-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Wish him the best. Great guy.

HangryHippo
04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
If there's all this demand, what's keeping an indie cinema from starting up?

Dubya61
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Can me merge this thread and the 1212 N. Hudson thread and magically get an indie cinema theater?

DoctorTaco
04-09-2014, 02:44 PM
This is a sad development. Apparently the director of the museum is making life hell for many good people like Brian, who is a one-man cultural dynamo for OKC.

More context plz.

Lord Helmet
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM

I bet there is enough demand. We have 4 of them here in Denver and they all do quite well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FritterGirl
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
More context plz.

The people who know aren't talking publicly about the situation. Suffice it to say, many of the "originals" who started the museum under Carolyn Hill's tutelage and who were all part of the group that got things off the ground floor from day 1 have parted ways with the Museum; either asked to leave by the new director or have been put in positions so untenable they have left for other pastures. I've heard from former employees about the treatment they are receiving, but nothing that I care to repeat. Suffice it to say, the "we're in this together as one big family" attitude that the original and very loyal employees so enjoyed for many years is gone.

To be very honest, it's interesting to see how things tend to turn when larger institutions bring in people from out of town to run the show, especially people who don't understand our welcoming Oklahoma culture, nor believe in the talent pool we have developed here. In the corporate milieu, belts are tightened and corporate giving and community service is often diminished even though these may have been a priority of the local CEO, and in the non-profit world, the new people on deck sometimes find difficulty fitting in with our local influencers. There is often an idea somehow planted that "I'm from XYZ City, and we're much smarter and better than a bunch of uninspiring Okies." The same can be said for consultants that are brought in to research real estate development deals (remember Whole Foods), as well as for major capital or cultural projects. It's not a singular phenomenon and I've seen many examples of it.

That said, Brian's departure leaves a huge void in the Museum's film program and he will be hard to replace.