View Full Version : Angled Parking, Automobile Alley

KenRagsdale
04-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Street changes transform Automobile Alley | News OK (http://newsok.com/street-changes-transform-automobile-alley/article/3952828)

Just the facts
04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Like Steve said, it just looks so much better - like a place you might actually want to stop walk through instead of speed past. Wish they would have put in a turn lane and dropped the second lane of traffic but we are talking OKC Public Works so baby steps are better than no steps. This is just the initial phase of the rolling snowball, next up - Sheridan and Reno in Bricktown.

5alive
04-08-2014, 08:50 AM
As someone mentioned in another thread, what is needed now is landscaping and MORE TREES. It is shocking when you think about how barren it looks.

betts
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
We need better ways to cross the street as well. I have to think ahead to make sure I cross at a light, as otherwise it's quite difficult.

musg8411
04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I believe when this was approved, there was a discussion that phase 2 would involve angled and improved parking on the side streets off of Broadway. I have not heard of a timeline.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Like Steve said, it just looks so much better - like a place you might actually want to stop walk through instead of speed past. Wish they would have put in a turn lane and dropped the second lane of traffic but we are talking OKC Public Works so baby steps are better than no steps. This is just the initial phase of the rolling snowball, next up - Sheridan and Reno in Bricktown.I would be for doing that to Sheridan, but not Reno, it needs to stay four lanes.

Anonymous.
04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
I would be for doing that to Sheridan, but not Reno, it needs to stay four lanes.

No it doesn't. We are most likely getting a speedway boulevard.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
No it doesn't. We are most likely getting a speedway boulevard.Well, I disagree.

Of Sound Mind
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Well, I disagree.
I disagree with your disagreeing.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I disagree with your disagreeing.I disagree with your disagreeing of my disagreeing.

Of Sound Mind
04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
I disagree with your disagreeing of my disagreeing.
And that's where you are wrong.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 11:46 AM
And that's where you are wrong.whatever you say, champ. :)

catch22
04-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Haven't seen it yet in person. But the photos I have seen -- WOW! Just doesn't even look like the same street or city. Truly amazing. So glad to see this.

Mississippi Blues
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I disagree with your disagreeing.

I agree with your disagreeing of his disagreeing to your disagreeing of his statement that Reno needs to be 4 lanes. In others words, I'm on JTF's team.

Plutonic Panda
04-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, luckily it probably won't be happening, and if it does, it likely won't be for a long time from now. :p

CCOKC
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I do like it but I with there were better crosswalks. I crossed Broadway at 9th today to get to Iguana just to see if crossing would be easier. It was a little easier but with the turn lane gone, I now have to cross three lanes of traffic at once instead of two. A car did stop for me though which I think was a first.

Mississippi Blues
04-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Well, luckily it probably won't be happening, and if it does, it likely won't be for a long time from now. :p

Disagreed and agreed.

RadicalModerate
04-08-2014, 11:28 PM
When I first heard of the concept of "Reverse Angle Parking" as compared to "Parallel Parking" I thought it was the Automotive Equivalent of "The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread". Only a bit of patience by those texting in traffic will be required to allow the parker to properly enter the space defined and presented by the paint on the roadway. (yeah, right, as if . . .)

bombermwc
04-11-2014, 07:19 AM
I would 100% want Reno to stay 4 lanes. It's too important for through traffic. Just try to get around when it's closed for a Thunder game and see what kind of bottleknecks you'd create. Even in rush hour it would be a pain.

I'd actually love to find a way to keep Reno from having to close during events at the Peake...but I have no idea how that would even be possible with the number of people that overflow into it between the buildings. Had the Peak's footprint included more plaza space for gathering spectators like the Myriad did, it wouldn't be as big of a deal...that is until they all cross the street to get to their cars LOL.

I'm not opposed to pedestrian friendly designs, just not those that sacrifices the more common car traffic. AA is retail, Reno isn't, save for a VERY few reno facing fronts.

Urbanized
04-11-2014, 08:37 AM

This is where you are wrong. Angled parking on Reno has been in active discussion for several years now. It will happen. In other words...I disagree.

Urbanized
04-11-2014, 08:39 AM
I would 100% want Reno to stay 4 lanes. It's too important for through traffic...

It will no longer be needed as a primary arterial after the boulevard speedway is implemented. At its heart, Bricktown is a pedestrian district, and the current configuration of Reno (and also of Mickey Mantle and Sheridan) hamper that.

Urbanized
04-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Back on track with the thread topic, I saw my first (small) traffic snarl on Broadway around rush hour yesterday. Eventually I suspect drivers will adjust their routes (I did) and the grid will absorb the former freeway-style traffic that ran on Broadway.

Just the facts
04-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Back on track with the thread topic, I saw my first (small) traffic snarl on Broadway around rush hour yesterday. Eventually I suspect drivers will adjust their routes (I did) and the grid will absorb the former freeway-style traffic that ran on Broadway.

There is an interstate mere feet away plus Lincoln Blvd, and in the near future commuter rail. In fact, with all the moaning over the I-44 interchange I don't know why more people don't take Lincoln anyhow.

bombermwc
04-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Lincoln isn't convenient, that's why. If you take 235, you get a non-stop flow.

As for the boulevard...they aren't exactly making quick progress of the thing east of Classen. If that thing opens up, yeah it will significantly reduce Reno traffic. HOWEVER, that's ONLY if they correct the previous issue of access to Eastbound flow. If you were headed back to MWC from bricktown, you had to drive half the way back on Reno to even get to an onramp (on the opposite side of the river). That is unless you wanted to backtrack into the more congested downtown. IF they clear that kind of mess up, I would expect to see Reno cleared up a lot....now will they change it to 2-lane? I don't think so. There is still charter bus and semi traffic that goes in/out of the arenas/ballpark in the area. It's really still the main artery for the east/west traffic. Make that 2-lanes, and see what happens to traffic as a bus loads/unloads (with no loading/unloading zone), or a semi waiting to turn left into Bricktown (remember access over Walnut bridge comes from here too). Construction/etc.

shawnw
04-16-2014, 03:57 AM
I believe there will be a fly-over from the boulevard to east-bound I-40.

DoctorTaco
04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Lincoln isn't convenient, that's why. If you take 235, you get a non-stop flow.

As for the boulevard...they aren't exactly making quick progress of the thing east of Classen. If that thing opens up, yeah it will significantly reduce Reno traffic. HOWEVER, that's ONLY if they correct the previous issue of access to Eastbound flow. If you were headed back to MWC from bricktown, you had to drive half the way back on Reno to even get to an onramp (on the opposite side of the river). That is unless you wanted to backtrack into the more congested downtown. IF they clear that kind of mess up, I would expect to see Reno cleared up a lot....now will they change it to 2-lane? I don't think so. There is still charter bus and semi traffic that goes in/out of the arenas/ballpark in the area. It's really still the main artery for the east/west traffic. Make that 2-lanes, and see what happens to traffic as a bus loads/unloads (with no loading/unloading zone), or a semi waiting to turn left into Bricktown (remember access over Walnut bridge comes from here too). Construction/etc.

I agree about Reno. Sheridan in Bricktown, however, should be made a 2 lane with angled parking. This seems like a no-brainer. That street is obviously overbuilt.

bombermwc
04-16-2014, 07:28 AM
I could see Sheridan going that way. If they're looking for ways to help get people in/out of the businesses facing the road like they did in AA, then that's the way to do it. Of course, you'll find the parking lot owners up in arms over there being more spaces available next to their lots too. If they would put in the meters that take credit cards, you could actually eat a meal and not worry about feeding the thing before a meter maid gets you. And Lord knows they're in full force down there.

I'd just like to see them installed as back-in spots rather than pull-in. Like in AA, it makes a huge difference in visibility. Just compare AA with Main in Norman and see how nerve-racking it can be to try and back-out with zero visibility...just keep nudging out there. If you don't hear a car horn, you must be ok...right?

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2014, 08:42 AM
This is traffic on Reno:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31.0-8/10014329_10202698481615709_4506860511044098388_o.j pg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/10258735_10202698486295826_7266048607110457326_o.j pg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/1890594_10202698486655835_1826865910174250978_o.jp g

Was like this all the way to Bass Pro then it mellowed out. I dropped off a customer the other day who lived downtown and never realized how backed up these roads became during rush hour. There were people in the intersection because it was so congested. Anyone that's want to narrow this road two one lane each way just for angled parking, something that Bricktown doesn't even need, imo, never needs to get near a position of authority in deciding solutions for roads.

BTW, I know... i know.. the lights aren't synchronized at EK Gaylord, but that doesn't have anything to do with it going east.

warreng88
04-16-2014, 08:54 AM
The reason I don't think we need to install angeld parking on Reno is because there aren't a ton of businesses that would benefit from it. Once the Rock Island Plow Building opens up it would be better, but right now all you would have is Whiskey Chicks, and whatever business is next to Sonic near Harkins. Customers of Starbucks, RedPin and In the Raw can park directly west of there for free with validation. Oh and there is a sea of parking near every business on Reno. If anything, I would like to see the lanes narrowed slightly and a dedicated bike lane on each side installed. There is a Spokies location right next to the ballpark that would benefit from it. If there were to be any street in BT to be narrowed, it would need to be Sheridan since there are so many more retail establishments there and there are so many more people crossing Sheridan than Reno.

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Exactly! There aren't any business fronting the street and angled parking would seem useless. Now Sheridan, I would be all for implementing angled parking there.

Just the facts
04-16-2014, 09:01 AM
In a few years all that traffic will be on the new boulevard, and Reno will be reduced to two lanes with on-street parking. At that point you will see the addition of street-adjacent buildings.

warreng88
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
In a few years all that traffic will be on the new boulevard, and Reno will be reduced to two lanes with on-street parking. At that point you will see the addition of street-adjacent buildings.

I think that has eveything to do with the final design of the boulevard. If they make it six lanes and 45 mph, then yes Reno could be narrowed because the Boulevard will be more of an Expressway. If it is pedestrian friendly, four lanes with wide medians, sidewalks, bike lanes and lots of stopping, it could potentially be slower than driving through on Reno.

Also, I am not sure where all these street-adjacent buildings you think will be added will go. Except for the potential redevelopment of the lot south of the Chevy Events Center (mentioned in another thread) and the lot in front of the U-haul building to be used for the future transit hub, there aren't a lot of lots that could be redeveloped because they are guaranteed parking for adjacent businesses like Sonic headquarters, Bass Pro, The Residence Inn and the Redhawks. Now, once there are bigger developments south where the Co-op is and Reno then the middle of the action instead of the southern part of the action, I could see it being redesigned.

Plutonic Panda
04-16-2014, 09:19 AM
I think that has eveything to do with the final design of the boulevard. If they make it six lanes and 45 mph, then yes Reno could be narrowed because the Boulevard will be more of an Expressway. If it is pedestrian friendly, four lanes with wide medians, sidewalks, bike lanes and lots of stopping, it could potentially be slower than driving through on Reno.

Also, I am not sure where all these street-adjacent buildings you think will be added will go. Except for the potential redevelopment of the lot south of the Chevy Events Center (mentioned in another thread) and the lot in front of the U-haul building to be used for the future transit hub, there aren't a lot of lots that could be redeveloped because they are guaranteed parking for adjacent businesses like Sonic headquarters, Bass Pro, The Residence Inn and the Redhawks. Now, once there are bigger developments south where the Co-op is and Reno then the middle of the action instead of the southern part of the action, I could see it being redesigned.Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I was under the impression it was already decided on 4 lanes.

warreng88
04-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Perhaps I am wrong on this, but I was under the impression it was already decided on 4 lanes.

I didn't think anything had been finalized, but I could be wrong. I know they haven't set the speed limit yet, just talked about it being slower.

OKCisOK4me
04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
So to get back on subject, the streetcar will run in the one northbound lane of Broadway, correct?

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Jeepnokc
04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
I ran down to the Wine Merchant yesterday and it was so nice not having to worry about getting my door taken off when getting out of the car. The angle is much better than the parallel. Also, Adam at Wine Merchants rocks.

Urban Pioneer
04-22-2014, 09:18 AM
So to get back on subject, the streetcar will run in the one northbound lane of Broadway, correct?

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Yes

Mr. Cotter
04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Is the plan to keep the current, one northbound lane, configuration once the streetcar is added? I don't see that working well unless left turns become prohibited during that stretch.

catch22
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
^ Remember the streetcar would be on 10-15 minute headways. So any disruption to traffic would not be continuous, but only 4-6 times an hour for just a few minutes at a time.

Mr. Cotter
04-22-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm not worried about the streetcar interrupting traffic, I'm worried about traffic slowing down the streetcar. The lines to get through the lights going north get long and move slowly because there is no left turn lane, and no protected signals. Stand at 6th and Broadway at 5:15 to understand what I'm talking about. It doesn't bother me from a traffic perspective, but I want to see the streetcar move relatively unimpeded.

catch22
04-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Oh, I agree with you. It seems I misunderstood your post.

Just the facts
04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I think they are going to have to reconfigure Broadway anyhow. I think they are going to discover they should have put in turn lanes.

okclee
04-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I no longer use Broadway and before I was driving it daily. I like the angled parking but the traffic flow is a problem.

Mr. Cotter
04-22-2014, 12:39 PM
It's a fair trade off to me. I've adjusted my route home. It's really no big deal.

catch22
04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I no longer use Broadway and before I was driving it daily. I like the angled parking but the traffic flow is a problem.

I've noticed a lot of people must have done the same. Was walking across and along Broadway yesterday. So easy for the pedestrian now.

Walkability won. Woohoo!!!

LordGerald
04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
It's a fair trade off to me. I've adjusted my route home. It's really no big deal.

Bingo for me. I used to go north on Broadway and turn left (west) at 6th Street, but found that impossible at 4:45 p.m. since the lanes were painted. The city should consider a sign that says no left turn between 4-6 p.m., not that anyone would honor it, but the left turns at 6th and 10th are what is causing traffic issues. I'm now going west on Reno Ave.

Rover
04-22-2014, 04:25 PM

Just wonder if there is a loss of traffic and exposure for the businesses on Bway and if this is a problem to them or not. Maybe the traffic count isn't important to them and the people that are now avoiding bway are ones that just drove on by anyway? I'm one that always sees Slingers and stops when I am going by...but I am impulsive that way. If I go another way, I may go somewhere else. We'll see.

I never had trouble finding a parking space before, but I do like the fact you don't exit your car into traffic now.

Urban Pioneer
04-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Is the plan to keep the current, one northbound lane, configuration once the streetcar is added? I don't see that working well unless left turns become prohibited during that stretch.

The Auto Alley Association has been informed that northbound will be re-striped back to the original parallel format. Your concern is entirely valid.

Mr. Cotter
04-23-2014, 07:42 AM
I think that will work well. Angled parking southbound, parallel on the north, with each way having two lanes and a streetcar track in one of the north lanes? That sounds like a winning compromise.

OKCisOK4me
04-23-2014, 11:29 AM
That's good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the facts
04-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Why is Public Works making this harder than it has to be? Remove one of the southbound lanes and put a turn lane back in. Problem solved.

BoulderSooner
04-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Just a note Adding the streetcar to AA and keeping angles parking on both sides reduces parking by 13 spots (because of stops). But would cause the street car to travel at 10 mph.

Adding the street car with angles parking on the west and parallel on the east causes the removal of 16 spaces (this is preliminary could be less). Most likely this would also add the lost north bound lane back.