View Full Version : So I saw Noah Today

gjl
03-29-2014, 08:58 PM
So I saw the movie Noah today with my wife and mother in law. Quite the embellishment from the biblical story version. I understand they had to fill 2+ hours, but really. I really didn't go into it expecting a true reenactment of the Bible story because it is such a short story. I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to hear and understand more than about 1/4 of the dialog. Actors with accents whispering their lines with loud background music makes it really hard to hear what they are saying. I don't understand why they make movies this way. I guess it was entertaining for what it was. And I don't believe the word God was uttered once during the whole movie, but rather the word creator was used instead where any reference to God would have been used.

OKCisOK4me
03-29-2014, 09:49 PM
I want to see Moses when it comes out.

Mississippi Blues
03-30-2014, 07:46 AM
I want someone to make a movie based (accurately) on the book of Revelation.

TaoMaas
03-30-2014, 08:56 AM
So I saw the movie Noah today with my wife and mother in law. Quite the embellishment from the biblical story version.

I think the movie-makers said upfront that this movie was NOT an attempt to recreate the biblical story of Noah.

gjl
03-30-2014, 10:20 AM
I think the movie-makers said upfront that this movie was NOT an attempt to recreate the biblical story of Noah.

I really didn't go into it expecting a true reenactment of the Bible story

But talking rock giants building the ark and fighting off people trying to get on it? Parts of it were almost like a sci-fi movie.

Garin
03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Rock people help adam and eve , we help you too. It was an attempt by hollywood to slap Christians in the face and make them look cooky.

bchris02
03-30-2014, 10:58 AM
I want someone to make a movie based (accurately) on the book of Revelation.

There are so many different interpretations of Revelation I really don't think it would be possible. They are actually doing a Left Behind reboot but there is a lot of controversy whether or not the Left Behind series is an accurate depiction.

Easy180
03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Parts of it were almost like a sci-fi movie.

Deleted-changed my mind

kevinpate
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
But talking rock giants building the ark and fighting off people trying to get on it? Parts of it were almost like a sci-fi movie.

Indiana had aliens. Middle earth had rock giants. There are writings, books if you will, dating from biblical times that are not part of the KJV. Maybe rock giants were the migrant workers of the day and lacked the pr people to make the main news. I don't know, but then again, nether does anyone else.

All in all, rock giants make just as much sense as not doing away with skeeters and gnats and cockroaches when the opportunity presented itself.

gjl
03-30-2014, 12:52 PM
The rock giants were supposed to be fallen angels. Maybe fallen angels were around back then. Just seems depicting them the way they did seemed kind of hokey for a biblical story.

kelroy55
03-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Rock people help adam and eve , we help you too. It was an attempt by hollywood to slap Christians in the face and make them look cooky.

Not sure you need Hollywood for that.

Chadanth
03-30-2014, 06:26 PM
The rock giants were supposed to be fallen angels. Maybe fallen angels were around back then. Just seems depicting them the way they did seemed kind of hokey for a biblical story.

And just where did the fallen angels go? New Zealand?

gjl
03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Not sure you need Hollywood for that.

So in your opinion does a person need to be an atheist to not look kooky?

gjl
03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
And just where did the fallen angels go? New Zealand?

How would I know?

Mel
03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Chadanth
03-30-2014, 07:05 PM

It's a start. Or at least not taking the bible literally in light of the mountain of evidence against doing so.

RadicalModerate
03-30-2014, 07:08 PM
I saw Noah today . . . He looked really old and tired.
(sort of like Mel Brooks as the 2,000 year old man, except without Carl Reiner . . .
and still sort of wet behind the ears . . .)

He was mumbling something along the lines of,
"Oy those kids yesterday . . .
I feel like I've been kicked in the ass . . .
Better if I had made room for the dinosaurs than my sons."

kelroy55
03-31-2014, 06:20 AM

Not at all.

RadicalModerate
03-31-2014, 09:02 AM
When I go to see Mel Gibson, starring as Noah, I will be waiting for a replay/re-spin of that classic scene in "Master and Commander At the Far Side of the World" involving "the lesser of two weevils." Movies about boats--and rain--are a guilty pleasure of mine. (sorry, again, Antler Dad, yet I can't apologize for that remark . . . it's one of those, "You had to be there" deals).

I must say that--regardless of the details--it's better to see something other than Vampire or Zombie films in the MegaCinePlexs . . .
(imho)

Stan Silliman
03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Was it anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BzWUuZN5w

Stan Silliman
03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Here's Part Two on the Noah cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLr5vl-n0Bo

FritterGirl
03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Looks like it is succeeding despite its "kooky"-ness. Noah Dominates At Weekend Box Office | Vanity Fair (http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/noah-box-office?mbid=social_twitter)

Dennis Heaton
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Looks like it is succeeding despite its "kooky"-ness.

One sure way to make a quick buck in the film industry is to pick a story or character from the Bible...churchgoers will flock to the big screen.

trousers
03-31-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm waiting for the sequel, Noah 2: Electric Boogaloo.
This time Noah is trying to save the Ark (now a converted rec center) from the preppie Canaanites.

Stan Silliman
03-31-2014, 11:48 PM
I saw it. Noah was drunk on the beach. The original story was so short, it's hard to know what the specifics were.
The CGIs were great. One of the talking stones could've tried out for the Transformers. He might've got a part.
There was a lot of miracle stuff. I don't know where the creationists would have a beef.

I did hang around for the credits as I always do and tried to determine where the movie was filmed.
Some of it was in New York, I guess. But, other than that, they didn't reveal much locale info.

RadicalModerate
04-01-2014, 12:44 AM
I saw it. Noah was drunk on the beach. The original story was so short, it's hard to know what the specifics were.
The CGIs were great. One of the talking stones could've tried out for the Transformers. He might've got a part.
There was a lot of miracle stuff. I don't know where the creationists would have a beef.

I did hang around for the credits as I always do and tried to determine where the movie was filmed.
Some of it was in New York, I guess. But, other than that, they didn't reveal much locale info.

Did I say "Mel Gibson"?
I meant "Russell Crowe".
Did the modern version of Noah manage to bring Woody Allen on board?

Richard at Remax
08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Finally watched this movie. It was pretty disappointing and the script was just a mess.

I will give Darren Aronofsky a pass, though. This is his only lemon in a stable of terrific films.

* on a side note if you like action movies I highly recommend The Raid, followed by The Raid 2 which was just released recently. TR2 might be one of the best action movies I have ever seen. The story, plot, and cinematography were outstanding. It was very graphic though so you've been warned.

RadicalModerate
08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
So I saw Noah Today

Finally watched this movie. It was pretty disappointing and the script was just a mess.

I will give Darren Aronofsky a pass, though. This is his only lemon in a stable of terrific films.

* on a side note if you like action movies I highly recommend The Raid, followed by The Raid 2 which was just released recently. TR2 might be one of the best action movies I have ever seen. The story, plot, and cinematography were outstanding. It was very graphic though so you've been warned.

So, when you saw Noah . . . was he still wet behind the ears?
(sorry, bad pun, here's my visitor's pass to get on the ark . . .)