View Full Version : Top 5 Grocery Chains

progressiveboy
03-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Matt Lauer from the Today Show was interviewing a correspondent from Consumer Magazine on a segment about the top grocery chains in America. Here is the breakdown on those establishments.

1. Wegman's - Found predominately on the East Coast.

2. Trader Joe's - West Coast but rapidly expanding nationwide.

3. Publix- Florida based found predominately in the Southeastern USA

4. Costco- Seattle based expanding at a rapid pace.

#55 Walmart - Bentonville, Arkansas based found all over the USA.

progressiveboy
03-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Yes. Walmart is number #55 so I am sorry for the title being a little misleading, however, I was not able to go back to edit it. Anyway, hoping OKC lands Trader Joes.

bchris02
03-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Sad that OKC doesn't have any of these. There is rumors of Trader Joe's but such has been the case for several years now. Same with Costco.

Stew
03-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Walmart finished dead last in a popularity contest. Go figure.

gamecock
03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Wegmans is amazing . . . closest thing I've seen to it in this part of the country is Central Market. I would love to see something like this in the metro . . .

ljbab728
03-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Walmart finished dead last in a popularity contest. Go figure.

That probably say a lot about who votes as much as anything. If people vote with their wallets it won't be last.

Pete
03-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Sprouts was #5.

OKC will have Trader Joe's within a year and a Costco within 2 years.

So a positive way to look at this is to say we will have become the target of 3 of the 5 top grocery chains in just the last few years, not even including Whole Foods and the expansion of Uptown Grocery.

Things are improving very rapidly.

Pete
03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Here is the Top 10:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/grocers.jpg

We also already have Aldi and I'm pretty darn sure we are getting WinCo soon.

And obviously, price is a strong consideration here otherwise you wouldn't see Costco, Aldi, Sprouts and WinCo on this list. All are very bare-bones and rely on low prices as their main draw.

bchris02
03-29-2014, 09:53 AM
That probably say a lot about who votes as much as anything. If people vote with their wallets it won't be last.

Wal-Mart is terrible as a grocery store in about every way except for their prices. In other cities that have a multitude of other options to choose from, Wal-Mart grocery shoppers generally do so for the convenience of one-stop shopping more than it being a good grocery store. It's also not always the cheapest.

gamecock
03-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Here is the Top 10:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/grocers.jpg

We also already have Aldi and I'm pretty darn sure we are getting WinCo soon.

And obviously, price is a strong consideration here otherwise you wouldn't see Costco, Aldi, Sprouts and WinCo on this list. All are very bare-bones and rely on low prices as their main draw.

Yes, price is a key factor. But most places have a variety of options ranging from bare-bones/low prices to high-quality/high prices. Unfortunately, the options in the metro are heavily concentrated at the bottom of this continuum, with very few options on the high end.

bchris02
03-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes, price is a key factor. But most places have a variety of options ranging from bare-bones/low prices to high-quality/high prices. Unfortunately, the options in the metro are heavily concentrated at the bottom of this continuum, with very few options on the high end.

Or mid-range. Most of the stores on the list above are mid-range with a few low-end ones. You don't see Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Central Market listed, which are true high-end stores. I don't consider Trader Joe's to be high-end. What OKC is lacking is the solid, middle of the road, go-to grocer like Reasor's in Tulsa. I think the OKC grocery market is very slowly correcting itself, but we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.

bluedogok
03-29-2014, 05:06 PM
We went to the Trader Joe's in Greenwood Village that just opened up, not the one with alcohol that location is east of Downtown Denver. We were not that impressed, seemed to be more hype than substance. Just like with Whole Foods, Sprouts or the King Soopers Fresh Market they had some items we don't normally see at a regular King Soopers or WMNH but nothing that would compel us to shop there unless we were looking for a specific item. Reminded me of a smaller Sunflower before they merged with Sprouts.

Pete
03-30-2014, 05:55 AM

That is changing, and pretty rapidly.

Rover
03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Or mid-range. Most of the stores on the list above are mid-range with a few low-end ones. You don't see Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Central Market listed, which are true high-end stores. I don't consider Trader Joe's to be high-end. What OKC is lacking is the solid, middle of the road, go-to grocer like Reasor's in Tulsa. I think the OKC grocery market is very slowly correcting itself, but we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.

Curious where you value Crest...particularly their new stores. I know you think nothing in OKC is quite as good as elsewhere, but Reasors and Crests is pretty comparable.

bchris02
03-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Curious where you value Crest...particularly their new stores. I know you think nothing in OKC is quite as good as elsewhere, but Reasors and Crests is pretty comparable.

The new Crest on S 104th and May as well as the one in Norman are solid stores. The older format, which is still most locations, leaves a lot to be desired. Once Crest has Fresh Market format stores conveniently accessible to most parts of the metro area, then I would say they are comparable to Reasor's. I am looking forward to Uptown Grocery at Britton and May. Now I won't have to drive all the way to Buy for Less on NW Expressway.

boitoirich
03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
One Wegmans in Core to Shore and the entire area would fully develop within 5 years.

Grocery options in the city are clearly improving. Besides the stores already mentioned, there are a few nice specialty grocers that are worth checking out. There's Akin's for those who want organic food (they even have a nice sugar free snack section); Super Cao Nguyen has so many specialty foods and a great fresh fish selection, along with some of my favorite vegetables; Native Roots may be small, but it packs a punch (I never get out of there under budget); and I've only been to one grocery store on Commerce Street, but again it added variety.

The future is bright. I'm excited about Uptown Grocery/Buy4Less investing in the northeast side , Trader Joes entering the market, and I've got to believe a full-scale grocer is headed downtown soon.

bchris02
03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
The future is bright. I'm excited about Uptown Grocery/Buy4Less investing in the northeast side , Trader Joes entering the market, and I've got to believe a full-scale grocer is headed downtown soon.

I am really hoping it ends up being Buy for Less with a "Midtown Grocery" concept tailored to downtown OKC. That would be so much better than a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market setting up shop.

boitoirich
03-30-2014, 04:43 PM
^ That would be a home run. And I would recommend they look at Walmart's DC urban store designs -- especially H Street.

NoOkie
03-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Man, I miss Publix. They have the best subs at their deli counter. I'm headed back to the south next week for a visit, and getting a grocery store sub is pretty high on my to do list.

bchris02
03-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Publix are very nice as is Harris Teeter. They are a step above Kroger. I personally find Uptown Grocery to be the closest thing we have to that type of store in OKC. It's exciting that they are adding another location.

Dennis Heaton
03-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Being from South Carolina, I would love to see a Harris Teeter in my neighborhood!

bchris02
03-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Being from South Carolina, I would love to see a Harris Teeter in my neighborhood!

Agreed. I was within walking distance of a flagship 24-hour Harris Teeter when I lived in Charlotte, probably the second best grocery store in the metro next to the Morrocroft Harris Teeter. I really do miss that grocery store.

Dennis Heaton
03-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Agreed. I was within walking distance of a flagship 24-hour Harris Teeter when I lived in Charlotte, probably the second best grocery store in the metro next to the Morrocroft Harris Teeter. I really do miss that grocery store.

We had a Harris Teeter right outside the Main Gate of Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC. Equally important was that they hired a good many military dependents.

bchris02
03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
One thing I miss about Harris Teeter is they always were well-staffed so it was quick in and out. I was at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market last week and it was 6PM, slammed busy, and only a single cashier working. Absolutely appalling. There is no doubt why Wal-Mart is considered the worst supermarket.

traxx
04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
we would be in much better shape had Safeway not spun off Oklahoma's stores into Homeland.

Yeah, why is that? Why is it that we always seem to get the shaft on things like that? Safeway got spun off into Homeland, Hardee's became Carl's Jr., our 7-11s aren't real 7-11s...

Dubya61
04-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah, why is that? Why is it that we always seem to get the shaft on things like that? Safeway got spun off into Homeland, Hardee's became Carl's Jr., our 7-11s aren't real 7-11s...

That's easy. It's our pre-historical liquor laws. If you could have gotten liquor by the drink back then, that one meeting with Maximillian Hardee, Carolyn Safeway and William Brown would have been less uptight and they would have figured out how to do business across state lines.

bchris02
04-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Also Albertson's, the last major chain in the OKC area other than Wal-Mart decided to leave the market. Of course Albertson's is far from one of the best grocery store chains out there, but I would be willing to bet a large company like that would be more willing to spend money on and remodel their stores than is Homeland.

BG918
04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
IMO Albertson's was the best we had in Oklahoma when they were here, though they had started to go downhill in the early 2000's. Since then Crest in the OKC metro and Reasor's in Tulsa/NE OK have stepped up their game with their newer stores, and are both good options. Whole Foods is super nice but can be expensive. I've been in a Trader Joe's and personally think it's a combination of Sprouts and Aldi, both of which we have, with a few unique products that you probably wouldn't buy otherwise. The main attraction is the wine shop which won't be in any of the (future) Oklahoma stores. I agree Homeland and Wal-Mart are bad, but for many looking for the best deal they are the least expensive.

bluedogok
04-01-2014, 09:07 PM
It happened to the Safeway stores in Texas as well, the ones in Houston and Austin became Appletree stores. I think the DFW ones were snapped up by Tom Thumb and Minyards. They were all closed by the time I moved from OKC to Austin in 2003. Randall's out of Houston bought DFW Tom Thumb/Simon David (that was my favorite when I lived in Dallas) and was subsequently bought by the renewed Safeway.

Jeepnokc
04-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Back in mid to late 90's, there was a Bakers grocery store at NW 23rd and Penn where the Ace hardware is now. We really liked the store and was sad to see them pull back out of the OKC market. It was definitely less scarier and cleaner than the Buy For Less across the street

bchris02
04-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Back in mid to late 90's, there was a Bakers grocery store at NW 23rd and Penn where the Ace hardware is now. We really liked the store and was sad to see them pull back out of the OKC market. It was definitely less scarier and cleaner than the Buy For Less across the street

Bakers is now owned by Kroger though I am not sure that was the case in the '90s. I saw it posted a while back that Bakers failed here because those stores were as nice as any modern grocery store in a major city and OKC was not ready for it at the time. There was a perception that it was an upscale, snooty store due to the aesthetics. Buy for Less bought out many of the locations and stripped them down to the bare minimum just so people would shop there. Is that the case?

bluedogok
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I think the Buy for Less at NW Expressway & Portland was built as Baker's. When Baker's was in OKC they were not associated with Kroger at that time. When I moved back from Dallas in 1993 I shopped mostly at the Homeland at NW 122nd & May and it was a pretty nice store back then.

bchris02
04-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I think the Buy for Less at NW Expressway & Portland was built as Baker's. When Baker's was in OKC they were not associated with Kroger at that time. When I moved back from Dallas in 1993 I shopped mostly at the Homeland at NW 122nd & May and it was a pretty nice store back then.

True. The Homeland at S 104th and Penn was also built intended to be a Baker's but they left the market before grand opening. Though it could use a little updating today, you can tell that it was once a very nice grocery store. It seems to me that I remember Homeland in the '90s being nicer than it is today. The NW 122nd & May store is in sad shape today. It's also never busy. I have a feeling it may be on the chopping block if Homeland decides to close stores.

Jeepnokc
04-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Bakers is now owned by Kroger though I am not sure that was the case in the '90s. I saw it posted a while back that Bakers failed here because those stores were as nice as any modern grocery store in a major city and OKC was not ready for it at the time. There was a perception that it was an upscale, snooty store due to the aesthetics. Buy for Less bought out many of the locations and stripped them down to the bare minimum just so people would shop there. Is that the case?

Probably so. The only decent Buy For Less that I have been to is the one store they took over from Bakers on NW Expressway by Baptist. It is halfway clean when I go in there unlike the one at 23/penn or south side

Buffalo Bill
04-03-2014, 08:06 AM

That Bakers store was originally a MegaMarket, a warehouse type store that was owned by Fleming Foods. The Buy for Less across the street was a similar concept owned by Scrivner. When Fleming and Scrivner merged in the early 90's, creating the countries largest food distribution company, they effectively had 2 of the same stores across the street from each other. They then closed down the MegaMarket for a few weeks, re-worked the interior into a full service store, and re-opened as Bakers.

I can't remember if that Bakers store closed prior to or after Fleming sold Bakers to Kroger. Regardless, it was a sad day.