View Full Version : New Walmart neighborhood market

Garin
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Heard from the developer today that at the southwest corner on SW 134th and May we will be getting a new neighborhood market soon.

kbsooner
03-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Heard from the developer today that at the southwest corner on SW 134th and May we will be getting a new neighborhood market soon.

I've seen something along these lines as well...

SouthsideSooner
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Hmmm... Right around the corner from me. I live on SW 137 just off May... I'll wave at it as I'm driving to Crest at 104th and May...

bchris02
03-26-2014, 09:34 PM
I really don't see Wally World making a very big impact there, especially as close as it is to Crest. It also isn't that far from the 19th St Wal-Mart Supercenter in the other direction. Isn't there yet another Supercenter happening along I-44 near there as well?

Soonerman
03-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Walmart loves OKC it seems.

MWCGuy
03-27-2014, 01:24 AM
I really don't see Wally World making a very big impact there, especially as close as it is to Crest. It also isn't that far from the 19th St Wal-Mart Supercenter in the other direction. Isn't there yet another Supercenter happening along I-44 near there as well?

They do attract their own crowd. I thought the one at Reno and Midwest would not do to well being right in the middle of two Crest stores. However, they hold their own and its not a bad looking store. It's always nice and clean, the outside lighting is just right and its a no frills store. (No Deli, Bakery or Bank) It's just a basic grocery store. We go there when Crest is out of something or we need baby hygiene items and Target is already closed. The Supercenter's are just a pain to shop at anymore. All though, I will admit Del City has gotten a little better because all the self checkouts are corralled together. You can get in and out a lot faster after 10 than what you used to.

Garin
03-27-2014, 10:00 AM
It will be nice too have. Its far enough south that all the people going to the crest from the north hopefully will stay at crest , it stays super busy so i try to avoid most the time.

Dubya61
03-27-2014, 01:46 PM
5 driving miles from the Supercenter in Newcastle. 4 driving miles from the WMNM at 104th and Western.

decepticobra
03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
guess, I never really understood the purpose of a neighborhood market. I suppose they came into existence after some peeps griped about the ridiculously crowded parking lots at all hours (except around 5am or 6am, when I usually try to sneak in,...only problem then, is they only have one cash register open, and its the '15 items or less express lane') ....so they big execs decided they had a new niche demographic to cater to, those peeps who dont care to buy any manufactured junk out of a chinese sweatshop....nope, these are meat & potatoes peeps who just want groceries & meds. so viola!, a spin-off wally world "groceries-only" market came into existence. ....as for me, Im a "one & done" kinda guy...convenience is the name of the game, I wanna go to one spot, load up a basket of everything I need, and skip on outta there after paying the huge bill. ill wait in line a little bit, I guess thats the trade-off.

bchris02
03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
guess, I never really understood the purpose of a neighborhood market. I suppose they came into existence after some peeps griped about the ridiculously crowded parking lots at all hours (except around 5am or 6am, when I usually try to sneak in,...only problem then, is they only have one cash register open, and its the '15 items or less express lane') ....so they big execs decided they had a new niche demographic to cater to, those peeps who dont care to buy any manufactured junk out of a chinese sweatshop....nope, these are meat & potatoes peeps who just want groceries & meds. so viola!, a spin-off wally world "groceries-only" market came into existence. ....as for me, Im a "one & done" kinda guy...convenience is the name of the game, I wanna go to one spot, load up a basket of everything I need, and skip on outta there after paying the huge bill. ill wait in line a little bit, I guess thats the trade-off.

Its unlikely Wal-Mart would have become the dominant grocer in places like OKC if it wasn't for Neighborhood Markets. To a lot of people, going to the corner grocery store is more convenient than driving to the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

jn1780
03-27-2014, 04:41 PM

Says the guy who is always saying no one else will move here because Walmart is crowding out the market. lol

MWCGuy
04-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Its unlikely Wal-Mart would have become the dominant grocer in places like OKC if it wasn't for Neighborhood Markets. To a lot of people, going to the corner grocery store is more convenient than driving to the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Walmart is a strong competitor but, I would not say they dominate by any means. You can thank the Binkoski's and the Harroz's for that. Crest, Buy For Less/Uptown is keeping the fires burning under Walmart's backside. If you shop Walmart frequently, you would know they are not the cheapest place in town. In fact, their prices are starting to rival Homeland. The only reason Walmart is doing well is because of the surplus of One Stop Shoppers. People save time not money in Walmart. If Target were 24 hours (or at least open until midnight), we would probably never go there.

bchris02
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Walmart is a strong competitor but, I would not say they dominate by any means. You can thank the Binkoski's and the Harroz's for that. Crest, Buy For Less/Uptown is keeping the fires burning under Walmart's backside. If you shop Walmart frequently, you would know they are not the cheapest place in town. In fact, their prices are starting to rival Homeland. The only reason Walmart is doing well is because of the surplus of One Stop Shoppers. People save time not money in Walmart. If Target were 24 hours (or at least open until midnight), we would probably never go there.

I agree about the one stop shopping. That in itself is how Wal-Mart has become what its become and is probably a big reason so many continue to shop there. For people who remember the days before they sold groceries, Wal-Mart was more of a Big Lots or K-Mart.