View Full Version : Arcadia Lake Development

Plutonic Panda
03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Looks like it is finally starting to happen, or at least on the drawing boards! This does look pretty promising though, lets hope the city has the will.

Orion Group continues to pursue lake partnership
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The potential public use of a private partnership at Arcadia Lake was discussed at a recent Edmond City Council workshop.

City council members have considered private partnerships at the lake since 2004.

Arcadia Lake became operational in 1987 with 1,820 surface acres as a water supply and a flood structure for the City of Edmond.

The city would like to maximize revenues from the 26 miles of lake shoreline. Potential development will not be what one would find at Grand Lake in northeastern Oklahoma, said David Jones, a local engineer representing the Orion Group.

A sequence of development would be limited to the possibility of a new marina, fuel service, rental cabins, a lodge or bed and breakfast with five to eight rooms, a motor coach park, lake housing and a restaurant, Jones said.

Only the marina, RV park and three cabins would make up the first phase of development. Restaurants will come as interest in the development of the lake continues

The Orion Group discussed building dockominium-style living quarters at the end of or slightly above each lake slip. These dockominiums would not line the water’s edge but could sit above the dock itself, Jones said.

“That way then you would either buy and/or rent that slip associated with the dockominium above it to give you some permanent quarters at the lake,” Jones said.

The RV motor home component would encompass no more than 10 sites that could be set up for extended stays. There would be a communal gathering area with the RV park as well as a swimming pool or a small miniature golf course, Jones said.

On occasions, traffic on 15th Street has been known to back up to the access road of Interstate 35. Jones said. People who have paid to access lake services will need to be able to do so at their will.

“It may require some form of water transport from Second Street to 15th Street on certain weekends of the year,” he said.
What needs to be done is widen 15th to six lanes as well as the service roads to four lanes and make them one way.

“We’ll naturally visit as things progress, but I like the idea. I think it is long overdue in this area,” Jeffries said.

Jones said he would like to initiate construction toward the end of the year after the city makes a decision on the item. Regulation approval also would need the approval of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Oklahoma Department of Oklahoma Water Quality.

- Read more here: Orion Group continues to pursue lake partnership » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x787210089/Orion-Group-continues-to-pursue-lake-partnership)

Zuplar
03-11-2014, 08:43 AM
They should do little floating houses like on Lake Lawtonka. Such a cool little floating city that's pretty unique IMO.

Plutonic Panda
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I think this is kind of dumb, if anything you should be able to pay a small monthly fee for stay there for long durations.

Camping limits enacted at Arcadia Lake » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x787211708/Camping-limits-enacted-at-Arcadia-Lake)

Zuplar
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
It says that is consistent with other State parks, but I know there are people out at Fort Cobb that leave their trailer out there all summer.

Rom
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
I was hoping for two to three nice restaurants similar to Lake Hefner

Plutonic Panda
03-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Bring on the Pappadeaux!!! ;)

Plutonic Panda
07-12-2014, 02:57 PM
This is cool!

Arcadia Lake’s new park begins to take shape
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Director of the Edmond Parks and Recreation Department Craig Dishman met with architect David Hornbeek and Cardinal Engineering last week to update progress on Carl Reherman Park at Arcadia Lake.

Arcadia Lake was a major accomplishment for the city during Reherman’s administration. Reherman served five terms as mayor from 1979-89 and was key to the city’s partnership with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to create Arcadia Lake.

“Boat access is the plan by 2015 at Carl Reherman Park,” Dishman said of phase 1. “That will include a courtesy dock and a small loop for parking your vehicle and trailer.”

When completed the park will include picnic areas, a pavilion, rest rooms and a boat ramp and a fishing dock.

The development will take place in multiple phases during a three-year period. Dishman said the park will open with limited seasonal hours, he said.

“Phase 2 will include fishing access and that will be done in 2016,” Dishman said. “That will include the fishing dock and maybe some additional parking.”

The third phase will provide the remainder of the amenities with some picnic spots, he said. The city expects the park will be open next year with limited hours.

“We have to define what those hours are,” Dishman said.

Carl Reherman Park is the first new park at Arcadia Lake since the lake opened with Central State Park, Edmond Park, Scissortail Campground and Spring Creek Park.

“We hope to start construction in the first of the year,” Dishman said.

- See more at: Arcadia Lake?s new park begins to take shape » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1667067086/Arcadia-Lake-s-new-park-begins-to-take-shape#sthash.eLdDTXwi.dpuf)

PennyQuilts
07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
That's exciting stuff. I think they put limits on camping to keep people from just squatting. They can more easily run them off before you get a homeless camp going.

Plutonic Panda
07-12-2014, 05:06 PM
That's exciting stuff. I think they put limits on camping to keep people from just squatting. They can more easily run them off before you get a homeless camp going.quite honestly, I wouldn't mind much if they created a designated area for "long-term" camping, but I'm not sure how well it would work. Hopefully it wouldn't become drug and and crime ridden.

PennyQuilts
07-12-2014, 05:54 PM
quite honestly, I wouldn't mind much if they created a designated area for "long-term" camping, but I'm not sure how well it would work. Hopefully it wouldn't become drug and and crime ridden.

Count on it. :).

Back in Virginia, they had lots of permanent camps of homeless back in the woods even near populated areas. Plenty of people lived there for years. i worked with quite a few women with mental health and drug problems who kept a roof over their heads by being camp hookers. Very sad.

Plutonic Panda
07-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Count on it. :).

Back in Virginia, they had lots of permanent camps of homeless back in the woods even near populated areas. Plenty of people lived there for years. i worked with quite a few women with mental health and drug problems who kept a roof over their heads by being camp hookers. Very sad.that is sad. Would be neat to see it work somehow though. Whenever I get everything together, I will eventually take long camping trips. I've heard multiple times it always nice to take a camping at least a week long without any electronic devices which can help with insomnia and resets your "biological clock"

OklahomaNick
07-14-2014, 08:11 AM
As a boat owner and Arcadia season pass holder, I am so excited to see this expansion plan taking shape, but I will tell you that I am skeptical..
Edmond tends to have unrealistic expectations for development, and delays are very common.

Just seeing the ball starting to roll in that direction is huge though.

Plutonic Panda
09-20-2014, 11:18 PM
City panel seeks funds for veterans project - The Edmond Sun: Local News (http://www.edmondsun.com/news/local_news/article_63338eee-4070-11e4-a93f-db0f4d2651f6.html)

Plutonic Panda
12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
New park coming to Arcadia Lake - The Edmond Sun: News (http://www.edmondsun.com/news/new-park-coming-to-arcadia-lake/article_605bbd6c-8af4-11e4-8729-e3435127f8b5.html)

jerrywall
12-24-2014, 08:51 AM
New park coming to Arcadia Lake - The Edmond Sun: News (http://www.edmondsun.com/news/new-park-coming-to-arcadia-lake/article_605bbd6c-8af4-11e4-8729-e3435127f8b5.html)

This is cool. Another boat ramp will be useful. I've been stuck in line waiting to use the boat ramp before, so know they're over capacity. I hadn't seen they were naming it after Carl Reherman. That's neat. I've known him since I was a kid, when my father was a councilman and he was mayor.

Zorba
12-29-2014, 11:17 PM
It is nice they are adding another park. But I don't really agree with using sales tax revenue to pay for a for-fee park. Arcadia (IMHO) is very expensive to use for what it is (at least the annual passes) so they should be using that money to make improvements. If they are going to use city park money they should massively lower the annual pass fees, and stop nickle and diming every activity.

Snowman
12-30-2014, 12:29 AM

This might be a little late for a warning but Chrome is reporting that site contains malicious content

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2014, 12:59 AM
This might be a little late for a warning but Chrome is reporting that site contains malicious contentTonight I tried visiting the Edmond Sun and it said the website was under attack and not to go there. I use Chrome as well.