View Full Version : Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson

trousers
03-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Premiere's next week on Sunday March 9th. Friggin sweet.
COSMOS: A Spacetime odyssey (http://www.cosmosontv.com/)

Mel
03-04-2014, 12:44 PM
This will be a great show. I will buy the DVD set when the price comes down. It looks like they are showing it on multiple channels, no reason to miss it.

trousers
03-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Yeah I think all of the non-sports FOx channels and Nat Geo are carrying it.
I've been waiting for this since it was first brought up.

Mel
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I've seen Neil a few times on "NOVA". He has a great presence and speaking voice and real enthusiasm. This show is going to rock.

trousers
03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
He has a podcast called Star Talk that is supposed to be really good. I've got a stack in i-tunes that I haven't had a chance to listen to.

Chadanth
03-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Anyone else watching it? I think it's well done, maybe a little graphic intensive. Thoughts?

mugofbeer
03-09-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't like him. He's the guy that killed off Pluto! :)

Mel
03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Hard to call on the first show but it has potential. Making the animation to look like wood carvings of that period was interesting. Need to turn down the background music a bit. But, I'm old and say that about a lot of things. The personal connection between Neil and Carl Sagan was a neat twist. Saw that Seth McFarlane was a producer and was worried that Brian or Roger would show up.

Dustin
03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Oh my god it was genius.

This was me the whole time:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7176/boyeyes04800px7ad.jpg

I think this show is going to be a trailblazer and hopefully a catalyst for creativity in the younger minds of the world.

ljbab728
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I enjoyed it greatly. He comes across as so likable and believable.

mugofbeer
03-09-2014, 09:31 PM
It also held true to the first Carl Sagan episode of the cosmic day. Very impressed with Tyson's tribute to Sagan and how Sagan was his life inspiration going back to a day the two of them spent together when Tyson was 17

Dustin
03-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I also like the fact that the president gave an opening message.

RadicalModerate
03-09-2014, 09:44 PM
It also held true to the first Carl Sagan episode of the cosmic day. Very impressed with Tyson's tribute to Sagan and how Sagan was his life inspiration going back to a day the two of them spent together when Tyson was 17

My first year of college required me to take a Physical Education course.
I chose Scuba Diving. (in Colorado, in the winter).
Right after that, I walked across the street to the Astrophysics Tower to be lectured to by Kim Malville, an early Saganite.

I could have had and did have billions and billions of choices.
Those two mattered.
(I'm a bit older than Neil deGrasse Tyson,
yet not in the QuantumStringTheoryesque sense of Matter. =)

After class, we would watch Star Trek reruns on PreCableInternetTV.
(always hoping in vain that the light of James Burke's "Connections"
would suddenly appear and validate our observations of reality)

Pete
03-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Loved it. Really look forward to the rest of the eps.

Mel
03-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I want one of those ships of the imagination.

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I don't like that it and Resurrection are on at the same time but I choose this first.

kelroy55
03-10-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't like that it and Resurrection are on at the same time but I choose this first.

I DVR'd resurrection

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Easy Answer: Choose Not to Dislike. =)

dang . . . where did I put that App for Bumpersticker Glue?
all of this chance randomness is getting on my nerves.

(these variable, self-aware, bits of Star Stuff
need to be brought under control.
fer cryin' out loud. =)

trousers
03-10-2014, 12:30 PM
It will be rebroadcast tonight on Nat Geo with "extra content". Whatever that means.
I missed it last night with Walkind Dead and True Detective both being on.

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 03:20 PM
It will be rebroadcast tonight on Nat Geo with "extra content". Whatever that means.
I missed it last night with Walkind Dead and True Detective both being on.

Perhaps--in regard to "extra content"--the host of the show, magically combining Scientific Myth with History--will introduce the concept that the product, resulting from Big Bang Random Star Stuff from a Cosmos far, far away, with a different mindset--is still afforded the opportunity to choose? I'll be looking forward to the rebroadcast.

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I want one of those ships of the imagination.

What? No eBay or Amazon? =)

p.s.: I remember two books from the pre-TV Saganite introductory astrophysics college professor lectures:
"StarMaker" (Olaf Stapledon)
[something by Fred Hoyle]
[and something by Teihard de Chardin called "The Phenominon of Man" or whatever. Can't really trust them Jesuits.]

Still . . . They were required reading that I chose to read. And might lend depth to the TV show.

Pete
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
That calendar used to illustrate time was pretty mind-blowing.

If the Big Bang happened at 12:01 Jan. 1st, then all recorded history would fit in the one second of Dec. 31st 11:59:59.

I really got into this stuff in high school and I love to try and get my mind around things like this -- and the billions of GALAXIES -- because it at once makes my troubles seem small and my existence rather insignificant.

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
And then They throw in "Daylight Savings Time" to confuse the issue. =)

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 06:05 PM
That calendar used to illustrate time was pretty mind-blowing.

If the Big Bang happened at 12:01 Jan. 1st, then all recorded history would fit in the one second of Dec. 31st 11:59:59.

I really got into this stuff in high school and I love to try and get my mind around things like this -- and the billions of GALAXIES -- because it at once makes my troubles seem small and my existence rather insignificant.

Think of it like . . . Degrees of Infinity (e.g.: there are an infinite number of points on a line. there are an infinite number of points between any two points or sets of points on a line) . . . This rudimentary example leads to the obvious conclusion that each of us is, in reality, The Center of The Known Universe. (don't it? =)

CCOKC
03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
I did not get to watch it because I work insane hours until April 15th but I intend to watch it when I get time. I am encouraged that people are liking it. I am a big fan of Neil Degrasse Tyson. I also applaud FOX and Seth McFarlane for taking on this project and bringing science to network television.

Pete
03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
OKC Fox station edits out reference to evolution:

Oklahoma Fox station removes evolution from ?Cosmos? by cutting only 15 seconds | The Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/12/oklahoma-fox-station-removes-evolution-from-cosmos-by-cutting-only-15-seconds/)

Dustin
03-13-2014, 12:10 PM
It's pure coincidence. There is no way Fox 25 would have a script of the show so there is no way they would know what part is coming up next.

kelroy55
03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Qfbrc1jdo

Dustin
03-15-2014, 06:10 PM
It's on again right now!

https://twitter.com/keatonfox/status/444986992258854913

Snowman
03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
It's pure coincidence. There is no way Fox 25 would have a script of the show so there is no way they would know what part is coming up next.

while odds are an accident, the it was made available to anyone who wanted to stream it as a promo a week ahead of time

CaptDave
03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
OKC Fox station edits out reference to evolution:

Oklahoma Fox station removes evolution from ?Cosmos? by cutting only 15 seconds | The Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/12/oklahoma-fox-station-removes-evolution-from-cosmos-by-cutting-only-15-seconds/)

That's the "extra content" shown on NatGeo - no derplahoman to mess it up!

Cocaine
03-21-2014, 03:32 PM
I haven't gotten around to watching this yet but it looks good. I'm a huge fan of Tyson and Star Talk is a very good podcast I used listen to it very often. I'm about 2 months behind now though time to catch up.

Dustin
03-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Today's episode ended the creation debate once and for all.

gjl
03-30-2014, 09:52 PM

Well I'm glad we finally settled that. I wonder what took so long.

Dustin
03-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Well I'm glad we finally settled that. I wonder what took so long.

Oh, you know, evidence deniers.

RadicalModerate
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Oh, you know, evidence deniers.

Evidence? What evidence?
That 7000 year old snapshot of the heavens?
That ain't what they used to be . . . =)

(just kidding . . . sort of)

It's the New Mythology! Buy into it!
(or don't. it's your choice.)

PCSchoolsMuseum
03-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Those interested in this show should know that we have a very active astronomy club here in central Oklahoma. Check the Oklahoma City Astronomy Club website at OKCAstroclub.com or visit a meeting at 7 p.m. on the second Friday of each month at Science Museum Oklahoma.

RadicalModerate
03-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Science Museum Oklahoma (formerly known as Kilpatrick Center) is second only to The Downtown Art Museum in terms of time well spent.
(and PCSchoolsMuseum is in the Top 3, Best Ever, Online "Aliases" I've ever encountered.)

Lord Helmet
04-01-2014, 10:40 AM

That debate has been closed for ages. The only ones denying it are creationists who all have their heads in the sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onthestrip
04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
That debate has been closed for ages. The only ones denying it are creationists who all have their heads in the sand.

I really liked when they zoomed out of the milky way and showed a radius of everything that is 6000 light years away and it was such a small area. And then Neil points out how we are seeing all this light from much further distances outside of 6000 lightyears. It was about as simple of an explanation to the young earthers as you could make.

Snowman
04-01-2014, 06:26 PM

What is funny is some of the denominations put out press releases occasionally when the creationists are in the news, to mention they do not believe that or support it.

Dustin
06-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Tonight's finale was AWEsome!

kelroy55
06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
No spoilers