View Full Version : Roku

Pages : [1] 2 3

kelroy55
03-04-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm thinking of going with Roku and cutting the Dish cord. I only watch a couple channels out of the 200 I pay for.

Roku Streaming Player (http://www.roku.com/)

GaryOKC6
03-04-2014, 06:08 AM
I have 3 Rokus. I love them. I can get history channel, discovery, Smithsonian, various news channels and tons od free movie channels. They offer about 1000 channels and most are at no cost. Not to mention Netflix in HD. One piece of advice, there are 3 models and the most expensive is 99.00. Get the 99.00 model. it has more features and better info displays. When I move past a movie on the Netflix menu it give me a synopsis and pictures that describe the movie with out loading it. One last feature to mention. You can plug headphones into the remote and kill the sound so that you don't bother anyone else who is not watching tv.

BBatesokc
03-04-2014, 06:12 AM
I have Roku's, Apple TV's and all my televisions are 'smart tv's.' I love them. But I do know some people who didn't fully understand the limitations of each before 'cutting the cord' and were later a bit disappointed.

While you can certainly save money, many features are still pay to view subscriptions (Netflix, Amazon movies, iTunes movies, etc.). You also have the initial expense of the units. But for those who understand what you're getting (and losing), it can be really good.

The biggest gripe I have, is that all of these things are missing a feature rich (or even acceptable) DVR.

kelroy55
03-04-2014, 06:37 AM
The lack of a DVR is something that's kept me from cutting the cord. I already have Amazon Prime & Netflix and most of the shows I watch are either available on antenna or the internet.

Chadanth
03-04-2014, 07:49 AM
I cut the cord 6 months ago, and after some adjustment, I'm good with it. I still miss cable during football season, but that's about it.

kelroy55
03-04-2014, 08:16 AM
This is a pretty cool site to see what stations you can get for free

TV Fool (http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx

shawnw
03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I am a cord-cutter, have a Roku in every room, plus a chromecast, and Roku's are definitely awesome.

As far as a DVR, if you have a Windows PC in the house already, I recommend subscribing (or paying for a lifetime membership) to PlayOn and PlayLater. It's a video "transceiver" service that can stream to your devices (including roku, your phone, etc), via the PC, free content from all over the web (including Hulu FREE).

kelroy55
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
With the availability to get shows on the net I'm not sure how much I'll need a DVR. It looks like the RCA ANT1650F/ANT1650R Flat Digital Amplified Indoor TV Antenna is a good one for the over the air stations. I'm damn tired of paying that much for just a few channels I like. I'm sure I might regret it come foot ball season though.

Dubya61
03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
What do you need to make a Roku work? Do you need internet?

FighttheGoodFight
03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
What do you need to make a Roku work? Do you need internet?

Yes just Internet to get the Roku "channels" to work. It also can play files from Plex on a computer.

Boomer3791
03-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I've got 2 Apple TV units and love them. I've considered cutting the cable TV cord, but for now, there's one fairly serious drawback to doing so; Most of the broadcast and cable networks who have apps on Roku and Apple TV require you to login using your account info from your cable provider before you can access their content. HBO, ESPN, ABC, Disney and Smithsonian are just a few examples. So in other words, you have to have a cable subscription to those channels to view them on a streaming player. This may change in the future, but cable companies aren't dumb; they'll still find out a way to make the idea of cutting the cord cost-prohibitive. For example, right now companies like Comcast are putting some pretty strict limits on monthly bandwidth consumption, in an effort to discourage heavy video streaming. And once you reach your monthly limit, you have to pay a hefty price to purchase more. It's only a matter of time before companies like Cox start doing the same thing. And since all of these streaming players require internet access, the gatekeeper is still going to be the cable companies, like it or not. You can cut the cord, but there's no such thing as free content. Just different ways to pay for it. And I don't see those costs going down anytime soon.

Here's an article from the NYTimes that does a much better job than me at outlining the hurdles coming for cord-cutters:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/business/media/comcast-vs-the-cord-cutters.html

Mr. Cotter
03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I haven't had cable in six years, and love my Roku.

kelroy55
03-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Question on the Roku... Can I put it in the attic and run it to more than 1 TV?

ctchandler
03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm one of those that spends $80 for three channels. I could drop down a level and save a little but I would lose the Food Network and Fox News Channel. My question is, can I watch the Food Network, History channel, and Fox News Channel on Roku or Appletv?
Thanks,
C. T.

jn1780
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm one of those that spends $80 for three channels. I could drop down a level and save a little but I would lose the Food Network and Fox News Channel. My question is, can I watch the Food Network, History channel, and Fox News Channel on Roku or Appletv?
Thanks,
C. T.

Unfortunately, no. I don't see the industry allowing al la carte system anytime soon.

Edit: That doesn't mean you can't see individual shows by either paying for them individual or waiting for them to get on Netflix.

Mr. Cotter
03-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Question on the Roku... Can I put it in the attic and run it to more than 1 TV?

Each box only plays one thing at a time. It's indented to work with a single TV. I guess you could run enough cable and adapters, but you'd just see the same thing on every TV. Plus, you'd have to get a repeater to have the remote work. They start at $50, so the outlay isn't too bad.

BBatesokc
03-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Each box only plays one thing at a time. It's indented to work with a single TV. I guess you could run enough cable and adapters, but you'd just see the same thing on every TV. Plus, you'd have to get a repeater to have the remote work. They start at $50, so the outlay isn't too bad.

I have several of each (Roku and Apple TV). I buy them used on Craigslist or Pawn Shops. Never pay more than $50-60 for the latest version. I put one on each TV.

shawnw
03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
It looks like the RCA ANT1650F/ANT1650R Flat Digital Amplified Indoor TV Antenna is a good one for the over the air stations. I'm damn tired of paying that much for just a few channels I like. I'm sure I might regret it come foot ball season though.

Don't waste your money on a high end antenna. At first anyway. I did it that way and regret it. I paid $40 for an amplified "HDTV" antenna and was not satisfied with what that got me. Then I spent $8 on the cheapest available big box generic antenna and it works great. Still use both, but the cheaper one picks up more channels. My girlfriend, who of course had to find out on her own despite my warning, did pretty much the same thing and is now cursing herself for spending so much on the initial antenna since the cheap one works so much better.

Even if I'm wrong and you don't have a good experience, at least you didn't spend much.

kelroy55
03-05-2014, 06:01 AM
Don't waste your money on a high end antenna. At first anyway. I did it that way and regret it. I paid $40 for an amplified "HDTV" antenna and was not satisfied with what that got me. Then I spent $8 on the cheapest available big box generic antenna and it works great. Still use both, but the cheaper one picks up more channels. My girlfriend, who of course had to find out on her own despite my warning, did pretty much the same thing and is now cursing herself for spending so much on the initial antenna since the cheap one works so much better.

Even if I'm wrong and you don't have a good experience, at least you didn't spend much.

I'll give the cheaper one a try first and see how it works. I'm pretty sure I can get all the DFW area stations without a high end one.

Chadanth
03-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Thanks,
C. T.

No. History has a Roku channel, so does Foxnews, but it's older content or clips. I haven't found a suitable replacement for Food, Foxnews, Hgtv or History channel on my roku.

BBatesokc
03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Roku has a 'Stream Stick' (yeah, odd name) that competes with the Chromecast.

Roku Streaming Stick vs. Google Chromecast: How do they stack up? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57619907-221/roku-streaming-stick-vs-google-chromecast-how-do-they-stack-up/)

ylouder
03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
We have a roku and a wifi enabled blue ray player. Cut cable over a year ago and the absolute only time we miss it is during college football season. I wont return to paying for hundreds of channels that I don't want to watch and commercials every 10 minutes.

Only problem with the cheaper rokus is the limited searching features, you'll be able to easily browse hundredsof shows but accessing thousands will take slightly more effort.

We have a flat TV antenna for over the air HD networks, we live in suburbs and.ever channel comes in perfect.

kelroy55
03-05-2014, 07:39 AM
I have several of each (Roku and Apple TV). I buy them used on Craigslist or Pawn Shops. Never pay more than $50-60 for the latest version. I put one on each TV.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for 2 Roku 3's for $100. I sent them an email.

kelroy55
03-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Roku has a 'Stream Stick' (yeah, odd name) that competes with the Chromecast.

Roku Streaming Stick vs. Google Chromecast: How do they stack up? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57619907-221/roku-streaming-stick-vs-google-chromecast-how-do-they-stack-up/)

Does the stick do the same thing as the Roku 3?

roci28
03-05-2014, 07:55 AM
How would a Roku allow you to watch Primetime shows on the major networks? Is that possible?

kelroy55
03-05-2014, 08:01 AM
How would a Roku allow you to watch Primetime shows on the major networks? Is that possible?

I believe you would need an antenna for that.

FighttheGoodFight
03-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Does the stick do the same thing as the Roku 3?

It does. But it has the internals of the Roku 1, no headphone jack on remote, slower than the 3.

I would recommend the 3. It is a great device for 100 bucks

kelroy55
03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
One more question... I was looking at the Roku site and they had all the channels you can gat. Do you have to pay extra for the channels like History and A&E?

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 09:59 AM

You can watch them on hulu the next day.

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 10:00 AM
One more question... I was looking at the Roku site and they had all the channels you can gat. Do you have to pay extra for the channels like History and A&E?

History is free, I haven't played with the A&E channel yet. They also don't have all of the content, or it's older stuff, from my experience.

kelroy55
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
You can watch them on hulu the next day.

or get an antenna. If I get a Roku I'll also get an antenna for all the local stations..... I imagine any A&E or History shows I can probably find on Hulu or Amazon plus.

andrew3077
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Most cable networks will require you (or a friend, wink wink) to have a cable subscription. If you have Netflix, Hulu+ and an antenna you should be more than covered for most viewing. If you're a light watcher it's far less expensive to go the appleTV/roku route. I'm thinking of buying one myself.

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 10:16 AM
or get an antenna. If I get a Roku I'll also get an antenna for all the local stations..... I imagine any A&E or History shows I can probably find on Hulu or Amazon plus.

I have an antenna, it works for the most part. You can watch a lot of content on the day after via hulu, that's what I usually do, and I only have to watch 3 minutes of commercials instead of 15.

Anonymous.
03-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I don't really understand Roku unless you don't have a computer you are willing to hook up to a tv. Many smartphones have free apps that are remote controls for computers (so you get your PC screen on ur phone to navigate and can play media files stored on said PC)

Correct me if I am wrong, Roku users.

Seems like Roku is just an easier (dumbed down) version of a web browser on your TV with a "quicker" way to stream movies and shows that are already available online via the same paths the ROKU uses (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon.) And from what I understand, you cannot access website's free episodes on the Roku. Like for instance HGTV's website has many full episodes for streaming, but you would be unable to access this on your Roku since there is no dedicated "channel". It isn't like Roku is providing you with live streams, only avenues to places that do stream.

I can see it for a convenience factor, and even then I wouldn't price it at $100 when you can set a laptop next to, or get a longer hdmi cord for your desktop to TV connection. Also I can see getting a roku for a bedroom or secondary TV in order to avoid buying an additional cable/satellite box since you can use your cable/satellite login information to access live stream content on said Roku.

shawnw
03-06-2014, 12:51 PM
With tablets and smart phones, who buys computers anymore?

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't really understand Roku unless you don't have a computer you are willing to hook up to a tv. Many smartphones have free apps that are remote controls for computers (so you get your PC screen on ur phone to navigate and can play media files stored on said PC)

Seems like Roku is just an easier (dumbed down) version of a web browser on your TV with a "quicker" way to stream movies and shows that are already available online via the same paths the ROKU uses (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon.) And from what I understand, you cannot access website's free episodes on the Roku. Like for instance HGTV's website has many full episodes for streaming, but you would be unable to access this on your Roku since there is no dedicated "channel". It isn't like Roku is providing you with live streams, only avenues to places that do stream.

I can see it for a convenience factor, and even then I wouldn't price it at $100 when you can set a laptop next to, or get a longer hdmi cord for your desktop to TV connection. Also I can see getting a roku for a bedroom or secondary TV in order to avoid buying an additional cable/satellite box since you can use your cable/satellite login information to access live stream content on said Roku.

I think you're on the right track. Roku is t content, per se, it's an easy interface for a lot of providers. Having a media PC or server hooked up to your tv would provide a lot more content, but it's not as easy/clean/user friendly.

jn1780
03-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Programmers, PC gamers, and people wanting media servers. lol

Edit: Oh and graphic designers.

GaryOKC6
03-06-2014, 04:36 PM
It does. But it has the internals of the Roku 1, no headphone jack on remote, slower than the 3.

I would recommend the 3. It is a great device for 100 bucks

Definitely spend the extra 20 bucks for the roku 3. I have two of roku 2's and a roku 3 If I had it do over they would all be Roku 3's. they are far superior.

jn1780
03-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Its nice not having to move your PC or laptop around to multiple tv's. That's the only reason I would get one anyway,
For people with PC towers acting as media servers, its great being able to use Plex on either Chromecast or Roku to pull content off a PC in a closet.

GaryOKC6
03-06-2014, 04:42 PM

It is not so dumbed down. The Roku3 gives you clips and a synopsis with out opening the movie in Netflix. I like the remote control features. You can plug the headphones into the remote and it automatically kills the sound to the room. I also like the menu. You go into available channels (about 1000) and pick the ones that you want. When choosing what to watch they all categorized for you. It also has an advanced search feature that will search by actor or title and give the several rent or buy options if it is not available for free.

ctchandler
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Shawnw,
You might be surprised, I have a Mac Pro, a new Imac (top of the line), and a Macbook and I have no need for a smart phone or tablet. I am retired and do a lot on the computer and don't see how a tablet or smart phone could replace it. I am a touch typist and can't handle the smallness of tablets and smart phones. I also have fat fingers. My sons do have tablets and smart phones, but also seem to think they need a desktop.
C. T.

shawnw
03-07-2014, 02:14 AM
Programmers, PC gamers, and people wanting media servers. lol

Edit: Oh and graphic designers.

Shawnw,
You might be surprised, I have a Mac Pro, a new Imac (top of the line), and a Macbook and I have no need for a smart phone or tablet. I am retired and do a lot on the computer and don't see how a tablet or smart phone could replace it. I am a touch typist and can't handle the smallness of tablets and smart phones. I also have fat fingers. My sons do have tablets and smart phones, but also seem to think they need a desktop.
C. T.

I was being mostly facetious (sorry, forgot an emoticon), but do know a surprising number of people that have gone PC-less (at home). Though I suspect many of them get their modest PC-needs addressed at work. And I do have an HTPC/media server, so I get it, truly, but still also own Rokus. Saves a lot of trouble with my kids, or my GFs kids, or visitors/family, etc, to just hand them a remote and a straight forward interface and say watch what you want.

All of that said, the only thing I feel I (personally) NEED a PC for these days is printing and scanning. But even those two things are near term replaceable... once more printers have Google Cloud Print built in, PC printing becomes optional, and often I'm lazy and just snap a pic with my phone rather than taking the extra few moments to use the scanner (plus phone-based scanning apps are getting quite good).

I know there are folks that will always need a desktop/laptop (for the near term). But I also think there will be future generations that will carry devices so powerful that the idea of needing anything else could well seem laughable.

BBatesokc
03-07-2014, 04:50 AM

Millions and millions of people.... that's who. :D

Tablets and smart phones have yet to come anywhere close to the abilities of a full fledged laptop, desktop or all-in-one computer.

Do they handle my grandmother's computer needs? Yeah.

One day will the handheld computer replace the full size traditional computer in a home? I can certainly see it happening. But not in the next decade or even two.

Personally, I prefer the much larger screen (my Mac Pro has 3, 27" cinema screens attached). Even a single screen is much preferable to the tiny screen and keyboard on a hand held. If I'm going to connect these handhelds to a larger monitor and sync a full size keyboard, I might as well continue to own an iMac or laptop as they are much more convenient.

trousers
03-07-2014, 08:23 AM
While I will miss the Golf Channel with True Detective ending I'm really thinking about cutting the cord. You guys are pushing me in that direction.

kelroy55
03-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I bit the bullet and ordered one. I'll hook it up and give it a try before I cut the cord.

ylouder
03-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Thy have them at best buy...but online is good.way to get around sales tax

Drake
03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Recently Woot.com had the ROKU 3 refurbished from the manfacture for $65

We have two Roku's and and are getting a third. We love them

kelroy55
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I got my Roku and indoor antenna and got them both set up. I get a ton of channels on just the antenna and narrowed it down to a list of 21 channels (including network channels) that have shows I like and aren't in Spanish.

The Roku was easy to set up and I went through and got several channels in areas I like including A&E, History and several others. I have Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and Netflix so I'm not lacking in finding something I like to watch. All the channels I have are free, except for the Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, but those three are a 1/4th the cost of my satellite bill. So far I'm very satisfied with the Roku and antenna and I'm sure I'll miss the convenience of some of the features with pay TV but I'll get over it.

Chadanth
03-12-2014, 08:14 AM
I got my Roku and indoor antenna and got them both set up. I get a ton of channels on just the antenna and narrowed it down to a list of 21 channels (including network channels) that have shows I like and aren't in Spanish.

The Roku was easy to set up and I went through and got several channels in areas I like including A&E, History and several others. I have Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and Netflix so I'm not lacking in finding something I like to watch. All the channels I have are free, except for the Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, but those three are a 1/4th the cost of my satellite bill. So far I'm very satisfied with the Roku and antenna and I'm sure I'll miss the convenience of some of the features with pay TV but I'll get over it.

Sounds like we're using the same setup. Honestly, the lack of some programming has me reading a lot more, which is a good thing.

kelroy55
03-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Sounds like we're using the same setup. Honestly, the lack of some programming has me reading a lot more, which is a good thing.

Now the weather is getting nicer I'm getting out more and doing things. I'll miss the DVR and one or two stations but I'll just have to watch the shows when they come on or catch them on Hulu. I'm able to stream movies and music and movies from my laptop to the Roku but I need to figure out how to stream TV shows I can get on the net.

Mr. Cotter
03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Now the weather is getting nicer I'm getting out more and doing things. I'll miss the DVR and one or two stations but I'll just have to watch the shows when they come on or catch them on Hulu. I'm able to stream movies and music and movies from my laptop to the Roku but I need to figure out how to stream TV shows I can get on the net.

Chromecast: Chromecast (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/?gclid=CN2Ozcufjb0CFTRo7Aod-WAACg)

kelroy55
03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Chromecast: Chromecast (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/?gclid=CN2Ozcufjb0CFTRo7Aod-WAACg)

I already have Plex streaming movies and music, I'm just trying to see how to get it to stream shows from CBS and such.

Mr. Cotter
03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Chromecast will do that. If you can see it in a browser, you can watch it on TV.

kelroy55
03-12-2014, 09:17 AM
I was trying to get away from buying anything else. Most shows I can get off Hulu Plus but CBS doesn't put a lot of shows out there.

Mr. Cotter
03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
If you find a free solution, let us know. I'm not aware of one.

But to get CBS shows on your TV, not to mention YouTube (which is not available on Roku), an expanded library of PBS shows not available on the PBS Roku app, and anything else that can stream online, a $35 one time purchase with no monthly fees is a steal of a deal.

Mr. Cotter
03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Oh, and Chromcast lets you watch any Hulu shows that are "web only."

Drake
03-12-2014, 01:33 PM
If you find a free solution, let us know. I'm not aware of one.

But to get CBS shows on your TV, not to mention YouTube (which is not available on Roku), an expanded library of PBS shows not available on the PBS Roku app, and anything else that can stream online, a $35 one time purchase with no monthly fees is a steal of a deal.

Youtube is now available on the Roku 3.

Both are great little devices. I haven't purchased a Chromecast but I will. For $35 its a great buy.

I will say that CNET still favors the Roku 1 over the Chromecast. It's $15 more but has a lot more apps

Mr. Cotter
03-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Great to hear about the Roku 3 having YouTube.

shawnw
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I already have Plex streaming movies and music, I'm just trying to see how to get it to stream shows from CBS and such.

That's where PlayOn comes in, unless Plex already does that.

zookeeper
03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Great to hear about the Roku 3 having YouTube.

I've had YouTube on my Roku for a couple of years. You know, there are many, many "private" channels that use the Roku API.

But yes, YouTube is now "officially" on the Roku.

Do you have a Chromecast? It's a great little deal, but the "laptop to screen" thing is a beta and definitely a work in progress. It doesn't work well now at all. The aspect ratios are what they have a hard time adjusting to with "streaming" your own laptop.

Roku is - as of now - the far better deal. One big reason is the exclusive they have with Amazon Instant Movies. You can also now get it on a stick! Roku Streaming Stick, Synology NAS, Dyson Handheld Vacuum [Deals] (http://lifehacker.com/roku-streaming-stick-synology-nas-dyson-handheld-vacu-1537951394)

And remember to check out the "private" Roku channels. Just Google it. ( edit - here's a good directory of private Roku channels (http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/03/roku-private-channels-2013-roku-channel.html) )

edit ---You can pre-order the Roku HDMI stick at Amazon. You can read all the details - http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3500R-Streaming-Stick-HDMI/dp/B00INNP5VU