View Full Version : Downtown Attractions

ljbab728
02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
This article by Steve doesn't fit neatly into most threads here but it's very interesting.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3934663?embargo=1

He details a fun afternoon downtown with his sons.

Everyone likes to read about new skyscrapers, but it’s the people, companies and organizations responsible for the less-dramatic amenities who have made the Oklahoma City renaissance a story that is drawing nationwide interest.

shawnw
02-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Had a GREAT chat with Steve (and his sons) at lunch today.

betts
02-18-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm not a subscriber so can't read it yet, but for all the people complaining about downtown getting too much money/attention, there are a lot of great things for a family to do downtown, free or low cost. And it gets better in the summer with Friday and Sunday concerts, the Cage tournament and Shakespeare in the park.

mkjeeves
02-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Okdisneyland!

RadicalModerate
02-19-2014, 08:55 AM
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I cannot imagine any place that has improved more than downtown OKC has since I moved here in about '73 or '74. Compared to Denver (didn't live in Denver but went down there once in a while), OKC was a slummy, dump during the day and a ghost town after dark. Now it is a really amazing place to spend some time. I'll never forget the night we left the ballpark after a game and were greeted by Bricktown at night. It was awesome. And that was just Bricktown.

I wish I could get down to OKC more often, but for various reasons it is a rare event. Kudos to all involved in this incredible transformation.

betts
02-19-2014, 02:00 PM
I think there is more to do in downtown OKC per square foot than any other city I've visited as well.

BBatesokc
02-19-2014, 02:06 PM
We're buying season river adventure passes this year. Its really a nice facility for the whole family.

joseph
02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
We're buying season river adventure passes this year. Its really a nice facility for the whole family.

The zip line across the Oklahoma River and back is under construction and coming this spring!

shawnw
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I was down there yesterday and looked for signs of this but couldn't find it....

joseph
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
I was down there yesterday and looked for signs of this but couldn't find it....

The construction fence is out and the crews are mobilizing and it is all staked on both sides of the river. The UCO Boathouse is also staked and about ready to go.

Roger S
02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I cannot imagine any place that has improved more than downtown OKC has since I moved here in about '73 or '74. Compared to Denver (didn't live in Denver but went down there once in a while), OKC was a slummy, dump during the day and a ghost town after dark. Now it is a really amazing place to spend some time. I'll never forget the night we left the ballpark after a game and were greeted by Bricktown at night. It was awesome. And that was just Bricktown.

I wish I could get down to OKC more often, but for various reasons it is a rare event. Kudos to all involved in this incredible transformation.

To add some depth to what you said here. I remember when my relatives would come to visit us in the late 80's & early 90's. One of their favorite pasttimes was to go downtown to "Look at the wino's".

I wish some of them were still living so I could show them downtown OKC today.

shawnw
02-21-2014, 12:37 AM
The construction fence is out and the crews are mobilizing and it is all staked on both sides of the river. The UCO Boathouse is also staked and about ready to go.

Thanks. Didn't go far enough down to see the UCO stuff.

I saw a bunch torn up on the other side, and a bulldozer moving dirt, but couldn't tell exactly what was happening (wasn't happening where I expected to see zip line stuff), except for the new conduit it looks like they ran under the dirt across the river.

AP
02-21-2014, 08:09 AM
I was down there the other day, and there was equipment in the river (dry river) so I believe you are right about running under the dirt across the river.