View Full Version : OKC residential fence construction permit question...

SoonerDave
01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Anyone here happen to know if OKC requires a drawing showing prospective layout of a new residential fence when filing a fence permit? Friend asked and I frankly didn't know.

rezman
01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
I have a family member who owns a fencing company, and I put that question out to him. Waiting to hear back from him.

Back in the 90's, when I lived over in Mayfair addition, I wanted to pull out an old chain link fence and put in a new 6' stockade fence back in the same place as the old one. The city wanted me to buy a permit and file a sight plan. I just went ahead and put the fence in. I did all the work myself and never heard a thing about it. And my property was very visible from May Avenue.

GaryOKC6
01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I have always put my own fence up and never with a permit. Never had a problem.

bombermwc
02-04-2014, 07:03 AM
I think technically, you're supposed to ask for a permit to fart in OKC. Fences, storage buildings, replace a water heater, furnace, etc. They all technically require a permit, but there aren't enough code enforcement people on the planet to properly enforce that.

So with a fence, as long as you don't have a code enforcement agent next door that will turn you in, then you're fine. I actually do, and he did not. LOL :)

Just make sure you get one on things that require inspections because you can't get the inspection without one. So for something like a water heater, the contractor has to coordinate it with the city (a normal joe can't do it because they want to make sure a licensed person does it). And if you don't, it just means that when you sell your house in 10 years and the home gets inspected then, whatever changes in code that came up, will have to be met before you can sell the house.

Garin
02-04-2014, 09:21 AM
is a easy as buying a garage sale permit. But who does that either I'd take my chances with out one. If you dont want to risk it you just have to provide what type of fence the lengths of run and the height. they wont even come inspect it.

rezman
02-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Just make sure you get one on things that require inspections because you can't get the inspection without one. So for something like a water heater, the contractor has to coordinate it with the city (a normal joe can't do it because they want to make sure a licensed person does it). And if you don't, it just means that when you sell your house in 10 years and the home gets inspected then, whatever changes in code that came up, will have to be met before you can sell the house.

This is a good idea, but not necessarily true. Homes can be sold in whatever condition, and with items such as plumbing , electrical, mechanical, and structural done by the homeowner or a non licensed contractor, or not in good repair at all. And when the property is sold, it is optional for the buyer to have an inspection. The home inspector is a private individual and will not represent the city. Only the buyer.

It's later on down the line when the homeowner wants to install a new HVAC system, or do an addon with new plumbing and fixtures along with new lighting, etc. The big permit projects that have to be done by a licensed professional and have to followed up by city inspectors. THAT's when the old unpermited, uninspected work rears it's ugly head and will need to be corrected and updated before the whole project will pass final.