View Full Version : Best Cell Service in OKC

king183
01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Can you all give me your recommendations for best cell service provider in the OKC area? I've decided to switch from Sprint and I'm looking at Verizon and ATT. Sprint's pricing is great, but their data speed and coverage is asbolutely abysmal and I've finally grown sick enough of it to transfer. I know Verizon is most expensive, but I always hear good things about their coverage and data speed. I hear a few more complaints about ATT, but not many.

Any of you have suggestions based on personal experience?

gjl
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
I have used AT&T Wireless which became Cingular which became AT&T since 1999. Never had a problem. I have 2 smart phones and 1 regular phone on my plan. Since that is all I've ever used I have nothing to compare it to.

Garin
01-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Tmobile for 15 years , four phones ,unlimited everything for 130 a month.

kevinpate
01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
A few years back I was with a work group that went from carrier to carrier for a while. We went from att to verizon to sprint and back to att. Here in the metro, no real difference one to another.
Outside the metro, we had far better results with att in my opinion and none of us locally based were upset when we went back that direction.

Jersey Boss
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
T-Mobile. Same carrier for over 16 years. Great rates and now better than ever.

zookeeper
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
T-Mobile. Same carrier for over 16 years. Great rates and now better than ever.

Same with me. I've had it since it was Voicestream. Great customer service and great rate plans.

andrew3077
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
I've had T-MO for several years. As long as you're staying in the metro area, you'll get excellent service. I have an older phone without 4G LTE (Only 3.5G HSPA+). Their 3.5G internet is faster than my COX internet at home. If you get an LTE phone I'm sure the internet will fly . Additionally, the rate plans are extremely inexpensive and there are no service contracts. They offer unlimited data and are STILL way cheaper than the competition.

You can bring your own GSM phone (nexus5, motox, etc) or purchase a phone through them and divide the payments. The cost of a phone is unsubsidized (more expensive) compared to the other guys, but if you add it up over 2 years you still will end up ahead. AND if you're on a different carrier they will pay your ETF to switch.

Sorry if that sounded like a T-Mobile ad, but I really believe in them! The biggest caveat to their service is that if you leave the metro area the data speeds slow to a crawl. Anytime you're in a city you'll be super speedy, but the drive to Dallas will leave you with EDGE data a lot of times.

shawnw
01-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Another T-Mo since VoiceStream customer here....

(how funny that the T-Mo bar graph line is Magenta or something like it...)

Bill Robertson
01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
I had T-Mobile for some time. I had a Verizon for a while provided by my employer. I thought both were fine. Then I noticed that when running around with my brother-in-law there were many places we would go outside the metro that I had no or little signal and he had good signal. His was AT&T. We changed to AT&T and I've found them to have better outlying coverage.

BBatesokc
01-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Its really going to come down to where you live and how you use your phone. Also, whether or not you are eligible for unadvertised discounts.

I've been with Sprint for awhile now. Not a huge fan, but it works usually when it should. I know people on ATT and T-Mobile, some love the service and others say its not so great.

Where we recently moved we have terrible coverage regardless of the carrier (east 15 and I-35, Edmond). We had to get a Sprint signal booster sent to us. Then we installed a cell phone booster in the attic that works for any cell phone carrier and does not require logging-in like you must with Sprints (also Sprint's only works on a Sprint phone).

Also depends if you spend much time in rural areas (I do).

I stay with Sprint because I have 4 phones with unlimited everything and a MiFi hotspot device and all for under $260/month - A deal I've been unable to beat.

pure
01-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I have Verizon (iphone 5) as my personal phone and a work-issued AT&T phone (blackberry). I carry both with me everywhere I go and they both typically have a strong signal in the metro but I must admit that AT&T in East Norman is much better than Verizon because my Verizon iPhone switches from 1x, 3G, and LTE all day depending what part of the building at work I'm in whereas my AT&T is 4G throughout the entire building all day.

kevinpate
01-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Also depends if you spend much time in rural areas (I do).

That's what has kept me on ATT. It's as important, if not more so, that my phone works w/o headache when I'm near small rural hamlets like New Lima, Konowa, Snyder, Arapaho, Geary, Okemah or further out from the metro centers. Pretty much everyone works while in the metros and on the interstates. I'm involved with folk who scarcely even visit the metros or drive on I-anything. Sure,i hit dead spots, but not many.

Lauri101
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
ATT since 1995, with all it's name changes. I've been grandfathered into unlimited data on a nationwide rollover plan, government discount. Service good coast to coast and even good international from Costa Rica.
Can't ever give it up now- even ATT people have said that when they look at my pricing!