View Full Version : Sears or JCP who will die first?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

bchris02
06-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Sears is closing the Heritage Park mall store

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-closing-72-stores-heres-the-full-list-2017-6

That leaves the SW 44th store the last metro location, correct?

riflesforwatie
06-06-2017, 06:31 PM
That leaves the SW 44th store the last metro location, correct?

I think the one in Norman is still open, just downsized.

ctchandler
06-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Isn't the one at QSM still open? I haven't been by there in a while but it was open about a year ago.
C. T.

Soonerman
06-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Isn't the one at QSM still open? I haven't been by there in a while but it was open about a year ago.
C. T.

No Sears closed their QS Store back in 2013.

stile99
06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
There's a "Sears Hometown" in Bethany. It's basically an appliance store.

d-usa
06-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Didn't Sears open one of those next to QSM?

Roger S
06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Nevermind... Saw the same link above...erased

FighttheGoodFight
06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I'm still amazed the Sears in Sooner Mall is still open with the auto center and all. Never see many people there.

ctchandler
06-07-2017, 09:27 PM
No Sears closed their QS Store back in 2013.

Soonerman,
I was referring to the one between QSM and N. May and it is still open according to the sears web page. It's very small and I haven't been inside.
C. T.

rezman
06-08-2017, 09:15 AM
^^ The Sears store just west of QS mall is still open. As is is the store at 33rd & Broadway. I've been to both stores several times. They are basically updated versions of the old Sears catalog stores. Very personalized service, with a friendly greeting as you walk in the door. I haven't been to the 39th & Council store.

oklip955
06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
The one at 33rd and Broadway closed a few months ago. I have some Craftsmen mowers and now its getting harder to get parts. I can go to the Walnut location but always long line and only one person or two working there. Forget trying to call, they never answer the phone.

jerrywall
06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
They really missed their opportunity when they bought K-Mart to rebrand as S-Mart. "Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart." Could have gotten Bruce Campbell as a spokesman. :P

rezman
06-08-2017, 02:00 PM
I must be smoking crack then, because I was over there maybe a month ago and there were cars out front and people inside, and the sign was still on the building. Maybe they were the movers.

rezman
06-08-2017, 06:44 PM
That's a shame. I had to drive by there after work and the sign over the doors is down, but the one on the west side of the building is still there.:I heard today also that Sears anounced the closing of 72 more stores. One of which is Heritage Park.

SomeGuy
07-07-2017, 09:01 PM
K mart is closing their last Oklahoma locations in Shawnee and Bartlesville.

d-usa
07-08-2017, 07:57 AM
They still have a location in Clinton, don't they?

OKCDrummer77
07-08-2017, 08:49 AM
They still have a location in Clinton, don't they?

And Enid.

SoonerDave
07-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Gotta believe the Sears at Sequoyah-Reding (that's how I grew up remembering it) will just be gone one morning. And that intersection is going to become pretty desolate when it does, with the empty Target across the street. Have to assume Westlake Ace Hardware is just filling out their lease?

SomeGuy
07-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Teavana is closing down all their stores.

bchris02
07-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Here is an interesting article that goes against conventional wisdom about the direction retail is headed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2017/06/27/five-signs-that-stores-not-online-shopping-are-the-future-of-retail/#3a0be5144641

I really hope its true as I personally don't like shopping online unless I have to and hope we don't end up in a society where there are no choices other than Amazon.

SoonerDave
07-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Here is an interesting article that goes against conventional wisdom about the direction retail is headed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2017/06/27/five-signs-that-stores-not-online-shopping-are-the-future-of-retail/#3a0be5144641

I really hope its true as I personally don't like shopping online unless I have to and hope we don't end up in a society where there are no choices other than Amazon.

I dunno about that article's analysis, but I do agree that an online-only future isn't going to happen. There are simply too many times I need to get something *right now*, and that means either a trip a mile or two down the road to WalMart or maybe a Target - and not even free, guaranteed 24 hour shipping is going to be worth the wait. Amazon bought Whole Foods for its food-specific purchasing and distribution network, not because of its brick-and-mortar stores. Shipping and selling perishables like milk and vegetables is a different ballgame than Amazon has played to now. Reality is going to be in the middle; a hybrid/mixture of old-school and new-school. There's always going to be a need for a place where I can go physically examine a product and kick its proverbial tires before I buy. And as WalMart evolves its pricing model to more closely echo other big online retailers, a better shopping reality with more options on both sides will emerge...

baralheia
07-28-2017, 01:12 PM
This thread reminded me of a recent experience I had with Sears. I purchased a fancy Craftsman digital tire gauge to replace my old one that got stolen from Sears' website, and since the Sears in Norman had several in stock, I selected the "Pick up in-store" option, checked out as a guest, got my confirmation e-mail, and everything looked good. The next morning, I got an e-mail saying my order was ready for pickup, so after work I headed down to pick it up. Found my way back to the order pick up area, passing by the shelf that held several of the item I ordered, walked up to the kiosk, and that's where my problems began.

Using the kiosk, I scanned the Salescheck barcode from the "ready for pickup" e-mail, and after a moment, the kiosk told me it couldn't find my order. I then tried to manually enter my salescheck number, and got the same response. I verified I was at the right store, as the store's address was in the e-mail, and sure enough I was. I called for assistance, and after a moment an employee appeared from the back, that after trying to manually enter my salescheck number into the kiosk himself, told me that my order could not be picked up there; it had to be picked up from the Auto Center instead. Confusing, but not too big of a deal, since it's only a few steps away in the same building.... except the Auto Center doesn't keep the same hours as the rest of the store anymore and they closed right when I got off work. I went and talked to a nearby cashier, who said there was pretty much nothing he could do, since even though the Auto Center is inside the building, their inventory and systems are apparently separate from the rest of the store. I then asked, since the item I ordered is openly available on a shelf, could I go get that item and have him sell it to me for the online price? Apparently, despite separate systems, that can be done just fine - and so that's exactly what I did, after a lengthy wait for a manager to approve the price override.

Great, now I have my item for the right price, but my online order is still outstanding and I need to cancel it. Guess what other system can't find my order? Sears.com, where I ordered it in the first place. Not even kidding. The whole experience has been absolutely infuriating, and absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with Sears.

Bunty
07-29-2017, 01:59 AM
The Stillwater JCPenney store is starting to get close to being sold out. I think it closes Sunday.

stile99
11-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Somehow, the bullet is dodged again.

http://kfor.com/2017/11/03/these-45-kmart-18-sears-stores-are-about-to-close/

bchris02
11-03-2017, 04:24 PM

The only Sears left in the metro is that one on the south side at 44th and Western, correct? Even if it's the only Sears left in OKC, I can't see how it does much business.

baralheia
11-03-2017, 04:34 PM
The Sears in Norman at the Sooner Fashion Mall is still open, as are two Sears Hometown stores - one in Bethany and one near Quail Springs Mall.

Bunty
11-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Some of those stores are in fast growing towns. If Sears can't make a profit under those good circumstances, then it's pretty bad off.

SomeGuy
11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
This isn't good

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/companies/sears-whirlpool/index.html

The only Sears left in the metro is that one on the south side at 44th and Western, correct? Even if it's the only Sears left in OKC, I can't see how it does much business.

They greatly reduced their electronics section last time I was there, only one row and 4 tvs at most.

bchris02
11-03-2017, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcxdwbWJ0s

oklip955
11-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Several months ago i went to the southside Sears to pickup parts for my mower. An elderly lady was returning a purse. She thought it was leather but found out it was cheap plastic when she got home. I walked by the women's purses, they were all Walmart or lower quality. Nothing there that I wanted or I guess anyone else. I bought some Craftsmen wrenches in a box and paid like $29 for them on half price sale. I got them home and found out they were junk. I need to return them. I've bought lots of Craftsmen tools of about the same price point in years past. Now Craftsmen has gone down to junk. My "Craftsmen" mowers are just Husquavarn's with the Craftsmen name. I did not find what I was looking for so I just went to the dealer and got my parts. Sorry to say after looking around the store, nothing in there that I want. I walked by the mattress displace. They were so yucky dirty that I did not want to touch them. So sad for Sears to be this way.

Mike50
12-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Once Eddie took control of Sears it was doomed. He got a bargain at the time, the Sears properties were worth twice as much as what he bought the stock for. When the economy went into recession the property values dropped very fast so he had no choice but to keep on trying to run them til the economy got better so he could part them out. Luckily he got the chance to buy Kmart so he could doom two once great companies at the same time. I think Sears/Kmart will be done in six months. At least at JCP they have always wanted the company to survive and get better although they have made alot of stupid mistakes but in the last 2 or 3 years they have done much better job.

mugofbeer
12-10-2017, 10:44 AM
I read the US has 4x the amount of retail space as other western countries. With Amazon out there now, we are just getting to the point where the weak retailers are, unfortunately, going to die. We simply don't need (or want) as much as we have.

stile99
12-10-2017, 11:41 AM
I say this not to imply they are doing fine in ANY sense of the word, but I do feel obliged to point out Sears has been about six months from death for over a decade now. People were predicting it at the time of the Kmart/Sears thing, and that was 13 years ago, with quarterly declines ever since. Selling off assets started as early as 2005, with a former exec saying in 2006 that the company had an uncertain future. Next month, this very thread will have four candles on the birthday cake.

Again, this is not to imply they're doing fine, I wouldn't be surprised if Sears makes the announcement by the time I finish this post. I'm just saying as zombies go, this one is getting really long in the tooth.

SoonerDave
12-10-2017, 10:25 PM
I say this not to imply they are doing fine in ANY sense of the word, but I do feel obliged to point out Sears has been about six months from death for over a decade now. People were predicting it at the time of the Kmart/Sears thing, and that was 13 years ago, with quarterly declines ever since. Selling off assets started as early as 2005, with a former exec saying in 2006 that the company had an uncertain future. Next month, this very thread will have four candles on the birthday cake.

Again, this is not to imply they're doing fine, I wouldn't be surprised if Sears makes the announcement by the time I finish this post. I'm just saying as zombies go, this one is getting really long in the tooth.

Valid observation, but what I think is going on is a matter of perpetuating a company through a well-controlled, painfully slow bleed out. They've quietly (well, sorta) sold off virtually every brand asset they had, and in so doing, perpetuated this more or less masochistic form of cash flow that has allowed them to stay afloat while still doing nothing more than postponing the inevitable. At some point, assets will all be gone, there will be nothing left to sell off to perpetuate the faux cash flow, and suppliers will stop extending them credit. That's when the final, ugly stanza of this particular retail soap opera will finally and mercifully come to an end...

jn1780
01-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Subtract another 100 stores from Sears balance sheet. Just shows how well Sears use to be if they have all these assets lying around after all these years.

I don't know how the 44th street store is still alive. Maybe this will be it for them?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/sears-is-closing-more-than-100-more-stores.html

baralheia
01-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Subtract another 100 stores from Sears balance sheet. Just shows how well Sears use to be if they have all these assets lying around after all these years.

I don't know how the 44th street store is still alive. Maybe this will be it for them?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/sears-is-closing-more-than-100-more-stores.html
The 44th and Western store isn't on the list this time (http://searsholdings.com/docs/010418-store-closing-list.pdf). In fact, it's the only Sears left in OKC proper; it's one of only two full Sears locations left in the greater OKC metro area (the other is in Sooner Fashion Mall in Norman).

brianinok
01-13-2018, 07:47 AM
I feel an obligation to point out that Amazon started in 1994. Sears shut down the precursor to internet sales, their catalog, in 1993. They had the infrastructure to be Amazon with with brick-and-mortar stores (which would have given them the ability to have same day pick up and delivery across the country) but while Jeff Bezos was imagining what Amazon could be the upper management at Sears was trying to figure out how to save money for the once-largest retailer in the world without any vision as to what trend was coming.

Bunty
01-15-2018, 08:05 PM
I feel an obligation to point out that Amazon started in 1994. Sears shut down the precursor to internet sales, their catalog, in 1993. They had the infrastructure to be Amazon with with brick-and-mortar stores (which would have given them the ability to have same day pick up and delivery across the country) but while Jeff Bezos was imagining what Amazon could be the upper management at Sears was trying to figure out how to save money for the once-largest retailer in the world without any vision as to what trend was coming.

I wonder if there was such a thing as sears.com in 1994.

Urbanized
01-15-2018, 10:12 PM
sears.com was launched in 1999.

jn1780
01-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Walmart only just now realized in the past couple of years of the goldmine they sit on with their built out infrastructure. Amazon will have to always keep Prime costs way low if they want to keep Walmart from making a run on them. Its their AWS services and high stock growth that lets them get away with lower profit margins on individual orders.

100 dollars for what equates to pennies on the dollar shipping for high volume users along with free video service is a great deal for people.

stile99
05-31-2018, 02:46 PM
The axe falls again, completely missing Oklahoma.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/05/31/sears-kmart-stores-closing/659345002/

Kinda makes you wonder if corporate completely forgot about us. Not sure if that's good or bad, actually.

Bill Robertson
05-31-2018, 02:56 PM
How can there be 63 Sears stores worse than the 59th Street store?

Pete
05-31-2018, 03:08 PM

THAT is exactly how bad Sears is doing these days.

SoonerDave
06-01-2018, 07:02 AM

I think you mean 44th.....and I suspect there may be some other reason this store survives. Surely its actual retail income can't be sufficient. Could be something related to building ownership, or lease arrangements, or something related to the land on which the building sits, or some combination, that forces Sears to keep that building open.

Bill Robertson
06-01-2018, 07:08 AM
Opps! I did mean 44th. I get those two streets confused a lot.

rezman
06-01-2018, 05:22 PM
I was in the 44th street Sears a couple weeks ago, and there were actually quite a few shoppers in there. Back around Christmas time it was busy as well. From the outside it always looks deserted.
Maybe it’s the empty wasteland of parking on the northside.

rezman
06-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Stopped in the Sears Hometown store at Quail Springs yesterday to purchase a new straight shaft attachment for my Craftsman weed trimmer, and they have a sign in their window that says “we’re not going anywhere”. When I asked them about it, they said a lot of people are confusing the Hometown stores with the corporate stores, and think they are one and the same and are going down with them. They said this is not the case, and the even if all corporate stores close, the independantly owned Hometown Sears stores have the ablility to stay open.

SomeGuy
07-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Sw 44th Sears closing https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/07/02/sears-closings-78-kmart-and-sears-closing-september/750127002/

I'm not surprised, everytime I've gone it's felt more and more empty they only had a row of electronics left last time I went.

stile99
07-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Sw 44th Sears closing https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/07/02/sears-closings-78-kmart-and-sears-closing-september/750127002/

I'm not surprised, everytime I've gone it's felt more and more empty they only had a row of electronics left last time I went.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44356

jn1780
10-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Looks like the end actual is near for Sears. They could restructure but I doubt there is anything worth salvaging. (Its all been sold off already). The lenders want them to shut it all down.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

bchris02
10-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Looks like the end actual is near for Sears. They could restructure but I doubt there is anything worth salvaging. (Its all been sold off already). The lenders want them to shut it all down.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

Surprised it has taken this long. Sears has been dying a slow death since some point in the 1990s. Wal-Mart hurt them initially and then Amazon finished the job. Sad thing is, with a little innovation and forward thinking, Sears' could have easily survived. They were Amazon before Amazon existed.

catch22
10-12-2018, 07:04 PM
I have a Sears credit card (backed by Citi). I wonder what will happen to it? I hope Citi gives me the option of keeping the account open somehow, even under a different brand. I’d hate to lose that credit history.

rezman
10-12-2018, 07:24 PM
I have a Sears Citibank Mastercard as well. It can still be used anywhere Mastercard is honored.

catch22
10-12-2018, 08:08 PM
I have a Sears Citibank Mastercard as well. It can still be used anywhere Mastercard is honored.

I know that. I mean what happens if Sears shuts down, will citi close the accounts or just find a different brand and keep the account the same?

mugofbeer
10-12-2018, 09:04 PM
I'm sure they will just issue new cards if they shut the chain down. CITI doesn't want to lose the business.

stile99
10-13-2018, 05:23 AM
I'm sure they will just issue new cards if they shut the chain down. CITI doesn't want to lose the business.

Exactly this. EXACTLY. Citibank doesn't care at all what happens to Sears, why would they throw you away? I had a TiVo credit card way back when they did that. I still have it, although obviously the bank sent me one with a different logo, and the bank has changed twice since.

bluedogok
10-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Surprised it has taken this long. Sears has been dying a slow death since some point in the 1990s. Wal-Mart hurt them initially and then Amazon finished the job. Sad thing is, with a little innovation and forward thinking, Sears' could have easily survived. They were Amazon before Amazon existed.
They were property rich for a long time, they owned a majority of the buildings/lots they had stores on. They have been selling those off as they close stores. The Denver Cherry Creek North store was closed a few years ago and there has been a vertical building boom going on there for a number of years. Lenders are pushing because they want to cash out of the property they still have before management burns what is left.

Laramie
10-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Sad and disappointed to hear about the Sears situation. Have very fond memories about what was our N.W. OKC Sears. Hope they can salvage what's left of the brand. Sears & JCP; only wish the best forward for both of these establishments.

stile99
10-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Hope they can salvage what's left of the brand.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is literally nothing left of the Sears brand.

Soonerman
10-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Last two Sears stores in Oklahoma are on the chopping block, Norman and Tulsa are part of the 142 stores on the closing list.