Information & Latest News

Links

Gallery

Urban Pioneer
08-15-2013, 10:42 AM
DUDE, I love it.

Urban Pioneer
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Boy that is visually stimulating. Really would help cement the Metropolitan to Deep Deuce with something interesting along the way. And a very interesting entrance into downtown off the I-235 off ramps.

catch22
08-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I usually try to keep my posts semi-professional in format and content. But that's about to change...

OMGLOVE

NWOKCGuy
08-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I usually try to keep my posts semi-professional in format and content. But that's about to change...

OMGLOVE

+1

BoulderSooner
08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
very very cool ... and something that could be moved to a new location if/when this triangle gets a long term development ..

Urbanized
08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah, gotta say that is way cool.

Praedura
08-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Hmm... I was trying hard to figure out what OK SEA was supposed to stand for. Was SEA an acronym for something?

Then I just said it out loud... "Oh" "Kay" "Sea" ...

Alright, I get it now. It sounds like "OKC". Kind of corny, but okay, I gotcha.

CuatrodeMayo
08-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Holy. Crap. Somebody pinch me. This can't be OKC.

betts
08-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Looks great! I hope it was well-received.

Pete
08-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Just posted on the Rock Island Plow Building thread that this same group of architects are working on that project and it will probably be submitted for design review on Sept. 13th.

Absolutely can't wait to see what they have in store for that building.

Urban Pioneer
08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Holy. Crap. Somebody pinch me. This can't be OKC.

"Like"

tomokc
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I don't think I'd want to live in one, but as an OFFICE...WOW!

Praedura
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Do you think they have a particular tenant (or two) already in mind, or are they just going to build it and sign leases as they come?

I'm not particularly worried -- I'm sure that there are any number of potential occupants that would kill to go on that site. I'm just curious if they already have at least one business in mind, as a starter.

AP
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I love this so much. Exactly the cool, creative types of things that makes living in this area so much better. If I'm not mistaken this is the second development in this area using shipping containers, with the other being on 9th st.

catch22
08-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Hmm... I was trying hard to figure out what OK SEA was supposed to stand for. Was SEA an acronym for something?

Then I just said it out loud... "Oh" "Kay" "Sea" ...

Alright, I get it now. It sounds like "OKC". Kind of corny, but okay, I gotcha.

I had to think about it for a second. But this makes too much sense. Sea as in sea shipping containers. I am infatuated with this project already, anyone knows me knows I am OCD about attention to details. And this satisfies my OCD in so many ways.

(In non sexual ways)

CaptDave
08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
A small, walk up coffee shop might be cool there if the apartments were finished. I wonder if there is enough traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular, that could support a small shop.

Maybe include a small seating area of a half dozen chairs inside if rent was low enough; otherwise just put a couple tables and a few chairs outside. Green Beans coffee has small coffee shops all over the Middle East on US bases. I know of dozens that were built in containers.

Overall a great concept. I hope it is approved and successful.

Just the facts
08-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Very cool. If they wait a few months they can pick up some Stage Center parts on the cheap.

warreng88
08-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I am curious if the containers will be precut offsite to make putting them together on site more efficient. All in all, a very cool and different concept. I hope it is there for the long haul and not just a temporary fix for the site. Is there any connection between the person who designed this and the guy who did the one on 9th street?

Bellaboo
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Very cool. If they wait a few months they can pick up some Stage Center parts on the cheap.

This kind of helps with the loss of the SC......kind of.

Jake
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Coolio!

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2013, 12:37 PM
This is frickin sweet! I've seen the container on 9th Street (next to S&B Burger Joint) either as a picture somewhere on here or in a magazine but I am unaware if they are related. Hope it gets approved!

zookeeper
08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
This is great! One concern is if they will be new shipping containers. Used containers are often sold off for lake homes, etc. There have been problems because of the lack of history of the containers and their use of shipping toxic materials. Hopefully, they'll invest in brand new containers. This is just a great idea!

AP
08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I really hope Richard moves the coffee shop from the Mosiac space to this.

I'm so happy for Deep Deuce!

Seeing how Deep Deuce is turning out is getting me so excited to watch Midtown grow into a great Urban neighborhood like what you guys have.

Anonymous.
08-15-2013, 01:16 PM
I agree that it looks neat. But I was looking at this plot of land earlier and thought a small neighborhood park would be great here. Once the Maywood Apartments are finished and the junk between Harrison/5th is developed, I feel like this spot would be money for an urban park.

However the plot is already concrete and this looks cool, so I am fine with it. Where will parking go? Behind the containers?

Spartan
08-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Spartan is impressed. Wow.

CaptDave
08-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Hey! That's my idea! Not fair. :wink:

LakeEffect
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM

It's the same architect, but I didn't think Richard was involved. Is he?

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I really digg the name too. Very smooth word play.

jccouger
08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
lolwut???

This looks ridiculous, not really sure what to think. I'm glad its just a temporary solution to an empty lot though. I think a lot of you all are displaying group think by being overly ecstatic about this. Its just shipping containers used in a somewhat creative way I guess. It does have an artsy feel to it, and as someone else stated reminded me of stage center almost immediately.

I'll wait until its built to give my final judgment, my "ridiculous" statement is not necessarily a bad thing.... yet.

bchris02
08-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Why would they build this as residences if its only temporary? Something like this needs to be permanent in my opinion. I think it's great for OKC. It's very artsy looking yet so simple and pays great homage to OKC's history.

catch22
08-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Why would they build this as residences if its only temporary? Something like this needs to be permanent in my opinion. I think it's great for OKC. It's very artsy looking yet so simple and pays great homage to OKC's history.
What history does OKC have in relation to seaborne shipping containers?

Kokopelli
08-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Love not only the double play with words and letters for the name.

But also the double play in that it is excellent temporary infill and also a great business incubator potential.

Way cool !!!

bchris02
08-15-2013, 05:39 PM
What history does OKC have in relation to seaborne shipping containers?

It's reminiscent of the Stage Center and they also look like railroad cars to me.

LockeDown42
08-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Why would they build this as residences if its only temporary? Something like this needs to be permanent in my opinion.

I believe it is only for retail and office space.
Though I'd live in a permanent development like this in a heartbeat...

Spartan
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
It's the same architect, but I didn't think Richard was involved. Is he?

I think so. Steve said "dont expect Level East to be next" for Richard. He said more details coming soon. These are those details.

Spartan
08-15-2013, 05:48 PM
It's reminiscent of the Stage Center and they also look like railroad cars to me.

Hmmm. Stage Center is still standing last i checked thus taking care of our need for a historical replica of said landmark... Wink wink

kevinpate
08-15-2013, 06:04 PM
A shame this is considered as temporary. It's an interesting use of an odd shaped parcel and if treated well, could stand for quite some time.

Bellaboo
08-15-2013, 08:29 PM

They look like frack tanks to me...lol

lasomeday
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Very impressive!

This firm based out of UK has projects all over the world. I love how it is so different and is an instant attraction for OKC.

AHMM - ALLFORD HALL MONAGHAN MORRIS (http://www.ahmm.co.uk/)

SouthOKC
08-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Dislike. I find it interesting how everyone hated SpringHill Suites at $4.8 million but loves this because it's "artsy". I see shipping containers as a cheap way to benefit from other developers investment and commitment.

Mississippi Blues
08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I sure do wish this was permanent, or at the very least when this site is redeveloped these be moved to a permanent location.

Teo9969
08-16-2013, 01:47 AM
There is a great opportunity here for this to become a permanent temporary development.

What I mean by that, is that as soon as a permanent development arises at this location, OKSEA just needs to move it's containers to another site throughout the downtown area that is prime for some sort of development. So, after someone buys this lot in 2 years and development starts in 3, then OKSEA can move to somewhere else like Film Row or in a part of MidTown ripe for development.

Anyway, this is really cool.

BoulderSooner
08-16-2013, 07:16 AM
I think so. Steve said "dont expect Level East to be next" for Richard. He said more details coming soon. These are those details.

i think steve expects the Rock island plow to be next

jccouger
08-16-2013, 07:23 AM
After the initial shock, it is kinda starting to grow on me. I'm starting to like the design, mainly because its right near the railroad tracks.

BUT, how can you guys see this as feasible??? Exactly what will these be used as? Residential? NO. Retail/shopping? NO, not enough space to hold merchandise. Offices? NO, it is temporary and the owners could sell this land at any time which is basically what their plans are. Lets find a cheap way to make money off this land until some one realizes this land is valuable and kicks them out. What corporation would wanna stick their company there?

LockeDown42
08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Perch'd is doing just fine in a shipping container. I think there is huge potential here for small retail shops.

Pete
08-16-2013, 07:34 AM
i think steve expects the Rock island plow to be next

Yes, it's going to design review Sep. 13th, so they are almost ready to go.

kevinpate
08-16-2013, 07:42 AM
... What corporation would wanna stick their company there?

Someone who needs to expand, but not a great deal right off, but has outgrown operating off kitchen table or wants to see clients away from his/her living room space.
A 1-3 staff startup that needs to economize early on.
Small snack/coffee operation.
Small NFP.

Oh gee, just filled all three spaces and already have a wait list. I think the spaces will fill rapidly.

Mr. Cotter
08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Someone who needs to expand, but not a great deal right off, but has outgrown operating off kitchen table or wants to see clients away from his/her living room space.
A 1-3 staff startup that needs to economize early on.
Small snack/coffee operation.
Small NFP.

Oh gee, just filled all three spaces and already have a wait list. I think the spaces will fill rapidly.

Art Gallery;
Solo Attorney;
Accountant;
A three chair salon or barber shop;
Graphic design studio;
Interior designer's office;

They should build 5 of these. If priced right, they will fill up very, very fast.

Just the facts
08-16-2013, 07:54 AM
I sure do wish this was permanent, or at the very least when this site is redeveloped these be moved to a permanent location.

If this was permanent it would be a vast underutilization of the site. They would have to make it much bigger and change the layout.

Mississippi Blues
08-16-2013, 08:41 AM
If this was permanent it would be a vast underutilization of the site. They would have to make it much bigger and change the layout.

Doesn't change the fact that I wish these had a permanent location.

jccouger
08-16-2013, 08:45 AM
And all of those businesses will be fine being told to move out in 2 years? AGAIN, this is TEMPORARY. Why would someone want to start a business, knowing full well they wouldn't be able to stay there in 2 years and would have to move in to a new location that would cost them exponentially more??? Not to mention the loss of customers from the actual physical move of their location.

catch22
08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
And all of those businesses will be fine being told to move out in 2 years? AGAIN, this is TEMPORARY. Why would someone want to start a business, knowing full well they wouldn't be able to stay there in 2 years and would have to move in to a new location that would cost them exponentially more??? Not to mention the loss of customers from the actual physical move of their location.

Gets your foot in the door. Allows you to establish a presenence downtown before you are able to secure a permanent location either due to occupancy rates or funding.

Allows you to build relationships downtown with other businesses which may be able to assist in finding a permanent location. Etc etc etc.

Teo9969
08-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Doesn't change the fact that I wish these had a permanent location.

No reason they can't be permanently temporary.

Mr. Cotter
08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
We'll just put you down in the "no" column, and that's ok. I think this is a great idea. It's a very good, low cost step between running a business from your home, and signing a long term lease on commercial space. Business incubators operate in other parts of the country very successfully. The good businesses move on to bigger and better things, the weaker ones go away - but without financially crippling the entrepreneur.

Pete
08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
This is the business/retail equivalent of food trucks.

It's also indicative of the Lean Startup movement, where the idea is that you just start, do, measure and make adjustments quickly and often.

Mississippi Blues
08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
No reason they can't be permanently temporary.

Not saying that, but for now these are considered temporary. I'm sure they'll be put somewhere permanently once this site is actually developed.

RadicalModerate
08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Very cool. The Stage Center connection is obvious and if it works for temporary businesses perhaps something along these lines might be considered for temporary employee housing . . .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iFYiyIcL194/SKSh5s9iCxI/AAAAAAAAAHU/zQYpWkZqWcQ/s400/redneck-mansion.NOT.jpg

Spartan
08-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Dislike. I find it interesting how everyone hated SpringHill Suites at $4.8 million but loves this because it's "artsy". I see shipping containers as a cheap way to benefit from other developers investment and commitment.

We have/need design standards, not cost standards. In fact we dont want high quality design to HAVE to cost more.

betts
08-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Springhill Suites were permanent and incredibly ugly. These are temporary but great looking. But of course, I love Stage Center.