View Full Version : Best OKC Banks

Lindsay Architect
12-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Ah suggestions on the best banking options in OKC? I won't mention my current one but overall their service seems to go down, wait time, etc.

Easy180
12-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Bank mostly online? Chase

Use banking centers? MidFirst

gjl
12-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Credit Unions > Banks. I use Weokie CU.

kevinpate
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM
nm

ljbab728
12-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Ah suggestions on the best banking options in OKC? I won't mention my current one but overall their service seems to go down, wait time, etc.

You give no idea what you're looking for that you're not getting. I'm very happy with my bank but I may not need services that you need.

ctchandler
12-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I was very happy with WEOKIE, but when I retired, they weren't convenient and in 2004 I started banking at BOK. I have been really happy with them, their branches are like small town banks, the VP (manager of my branch) knows my name and the other folks recognize me. When I made a mistake in my minimum balance requirement (when I had loads of money in savings), the VP walked over and eliminated the charges, knowing that it was simply an error. And I like their bill paying system. Like all of them now, it's free. I also liked the WEOKIE online bill paying system.
C. T.

HangryHippo
12-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Bank mostly online? Chase

Use banking centers? MidFirst

This was my exact thought as well.

Garin
12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Tfcu

s00nr1
12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
I've been with BancFirst for about 12 years now and have always received outstanding service. Plus, they have locations all over the state which is a plus.

LandRunOkie
12-29-2013, 03:53 PM
TFCU is best for everything but commercial loans, which they don't do. Btw, which is the best for commercial loans?

catch22
12-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I use TFCU.

But their online/mobile banking sucks. In my opinion anyway. Their online is OK, but the website wants me to validate my credentials every time I log in. (Security questions such as pet names, etc.) -- I can't rememeber exactly what I put in those boxes years ago, and frequently get locked out if I can't remember two of the 10 questions they randomly select to have you input, or if my spelling isn't quite right. I admire their quest for security, but if I want to make a simple online transaction, it is a PITA to answer those questions to login.

Their mobile app just plain doesn't work. I do 99% of my banking by driving to the ATM, because the online and mobile apps are so glitchy.

KenRagsdale
12-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Give BancFirst Commercial Capital a shot. Ask for Linda Glass or Kent Faison. Lots of SBA, but they will bring commercial deals in-house from time-to-time.

Mel
12-29-2013, 04:01 PM
I have used Midfirst ever since they moved to Mustang. They are sufficient for my needs.

LandRunOkie
12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I use TFCU.

But their online/mobile banking sucks.
Maybe but their deposit by mail is nice for cyclists lol I get the feeling a lot of people don't use it

Jeepnokc
12-29-2013, 04:21 PM
I do all my business accounts with Bancfirst but have been using frontier state bank on i35 for my commercial loans as well as legacy bank (they are financing our new building downtown). Both are very easy to work with and still make decisions locally. Allegiance credit union has my personal car loans because they have really great rates (better even than usaa). Quick local decisions from them also.

SSEiYah
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Midfirst is open on Sundays until 4pm and Monday-Friday until 8pm which is convenient if you have safe deposit box.

DoctorTaco
01-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Those of you with local banks, what is it like travelling? I keep saying I'm going to drop my nationwide bank and go local, but I travel a lot, and I like having access to the bank/ATMs in different parts of the country.

kevinpate
01-02-2014, 08:54 AM
I utilize two banks at present. One is in a small ok town, the other is local, a growing bank in OK which was spread around TX quite a bit before entering OK.

I've rarely ever had issues with either bank whether by phone, online, ATM or at point of sale. And the issues which have existed were by and large my own doing and arose as much for my protection as anything.

ctchandler
01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
DoctorTaco,
I have used my BOK card at atms in Europe and all over the U. S. Sometimes there's a small fee, (always in Europe), and sometimes it's free.
C. T.
Those of you with local banks, what is it like travelling? I keep saying I'm going to drop my nationwide bank and go local, but I travel a lot, and I like having access to the bank/ATMs in different parts of the country.

Roger S
01-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I use TFCU.

But their online/mobile banking sucks. In my opinion anyway. Their online is OK, but the website wants me to validate my credentials every time I log in. (Security questions such as pet names, etc.) -- I can't rememeber exactly what I put in those boxes years ago, and frequently get locked out if I can't remember two of the 10 questions they randomly select to have you input, or if my spelling isn't quite right. I admire their quest for security, but if I want to make a simple online transaction, it is a PITA to answer those questions to login.

Their mobile app just plain doesn't work. I do 99% of my banking by driving to the ATM, because the online and mobile apps are so glitchy.

You might call Customer Support about your online issues. I use both online and mobile and everything works great for me. In fact the only issue I've ever had is having to retake a picture of a check using mobile deposit.

I switched to TFCU a couple of years ago and have been really happy with them..... In 2013 they paid me almost $500 to use their Click Checking account.... That's right. I said they paid me.

Midtowner
01-02-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm not a fan of TFCU. I won't get into particulars, I'll just say that I would never borrow from them.

My personal bank is and has almost always been Midfirst. I bank with them downtown. We've never had a problem with them and they did an outstanding job working with me when one of our movers, this fine fellow:

Offender Lookup - Detail (http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=660564&offender_book_id=409699)

stole my checkbook when I had hired his employer to move us into our new house and ran around the south side cashing checks in his own name. Midfirst handled things so quickly that this didn't impact anything about me even a little bit. They put all of the money back into my account (which they are legally required to do) and made sure things went smoothly. I bank at the downtown location and some of the tellers know my name even though I'm only in there every couple of weeks or so.

I can also give BancFirst a positive report. That's where we have all of our business accounts. We've never had a problem.

HangryHippo
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

When I travel, I put everything on a credit card. If I need cash, I take it out, but there's usually a fee associated with doing so, and sometimes it's exorbitant - hence why I stick to my credit card whenever possible.

HangryHippo
01-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm not a fan of TFCU. I won't get into particulars, I'll just say that I would never borrow from them.

My personal bank is and has almost always been Midfirst. I bank with them downtown. We've never had a problem with them and they did an outstanding job working with me when one of our movers, this fine fellow:

Offender Lookup - Detail (http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=660564&offender_book_id=409699)

stole my checkbook when I had hired his employer to move us into our new house and ran around the south side cashing checks in his own name. Midfirst handled things so quickly that this didn't impact anything about me even a little bit. They put all of the money back into my account (which they are legally required to do) and made sure things went smoothly. I bank at the downtown location and some of the tellers know my name even though I'm only in there every couple of weeks or so.

I can also give BancFirst a positive report. That's where we have all of our business accounts. We've never had a problem.

Looks like things escalated for your friend Bam after his forgery escapades.

shawnw
01-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I am a lifelong, second-generation TFCU member (and my kids are now members), have never had any trouble with them, and definitely advocate credit unions in general over banks due to the non-profit nature of them. Also, the "shared branch" (formerly credit union service centers) thing is amazing for traveling (applies to all CU members). I've gotten cash from my account in various states. Just look up the nearest CU that is a network member (many if not most are) and walk in with your credentials to get your cash (in fact, before traveling, I make sure I know where the closest member CUs are to where I'm staying). So I get to have a local bank with national access (granted this is much less useful while traveling internationally). I agree the online and mobile apps could be better, but they work fine (for me thus far), and I also know that it's the members "shared money" paying for the apps so I'm okay with them being functional and adequate rather than glitzy and expensive. That said, my eyes are open, I know that TFCU is multi-billion-dollar institution with a quarter-million members, and so sometimes it's a bit corporate-feeling (I've also been a member of other, much smaller CUs that have small-town bank feel). While I like the sound of the midfirst hours, I don't see myself ever going back to for-profit banks for the bulk of my personal financial needs (which isn't to say I don't or haven't used them... have a BOA account and have tried online banks).

Midtowner
01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Looks like things escalated for your friend Bam after his forgery escapades.

A 7 year suspended sentence looks great until you beat up your girlfriend and the state files a motion to accelerate.

Honestly, for what he stole (about $600 altogether, he wasn't a very ambitious checkbook thief), I think the penalty, even as a suspended sentence is a little harsh.

ljbab728
01-02-2014, 11:09 PM

My bank will reimburse me for any fees charged at an ATM so I don't worry about that.

SSEiYah
01-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I've had a great experience with FFB (First Fidelity Bank). No fees at all and friendly staff. I also have Midfirst accounts along with USAA. I prefer to keep my money spread across multiple accounts.

The Nichols Hills Midfirst is open until 8pm which is convenient if you have a safe deposit box, main reason why I have a box and checking/saving accounts through them vs others.

FourStarFitness
01-23-2014, 06:47 AM
I've been with about 5 different banks in okc, far and away my favorite has been RCB Bank. Not a lot of branches, but the ones they have are really nice. Anytime I've ever needed a loan I've always appreciated the fact that the guy across the desk from me has the authority to say no problem. Couldn't be happier with them.

ctchandler
01-23-2014, 09:28 AM
When I see RCB signs I always think Rogers County Bank bank. Why didn't they just name it RC bank? For those that don't know (and probably don't care) the bank originated in Claremore, Rogers county, and the original name was Rogers County bank.
C. T.

OklahomaNick
01-23-2014, 10:32 AM
I HIGHLY recommend RCB Bank. They are Oklahoma owned and Oklahoma grown based out of Claremore. They are rapidly expanding in the N.OKC area, and their interest rates for cars are phenomenal. Just got 1.6% on a refinance. They are very sophisticated and have great online banking as well as a great iPhone app!

warreng88
01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I have worked at four banks in the last ten years at all different levels of banking including teller, new accounts, customer service, credit analyst, loan officer and branch manager and I think it all depends on what you want. If you are old school, you want good customer service, to be able to go into a branch, talk to someone and them to know you by name. You like the rates to be lower but if a half point difference means you get better customer service, you are willing to pay that. If you are younger, you probably want technology more than anything. You want to be able to do everything from your home computer or phone including pay bills, transfer money and take pictures of checks deposited directly into your account. Also, you want really low rates and will change banks to get a lower rate. At least that has been my experience in this short time.

zookeeper
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
How about worst bank? I had an account for about 35 years at the old Union Bank and it was great. It's now called Interbank (50th and N. May) and I left about 6 months ago, It's owned by a smallish banking group owned by some Texas billionaire and they have RUINED that bank. I've heard it from so many people, it's a given now I guess.