View Full Version : Minimum gratuities to change Jan. 1

Pete
12-26-2013, 05:43 PM
We had a big thread about Irma's automatically adding 18% gratuity for a family of five...

I didn't realize the IRS was enacting a big change that will definitely affect this type of policy.

All automatic tips will now be paid like regular wages; it will be withheld until the server gets their paycheck and will be taxed in the same manner.

http://laist.com/2013/12/26/new_tipping_laws_begin_january_1.php

The new year is time for change, even in the service industry. Starting January 1, the IRS will classify automatic gratuities as service charges that are taxable as regular wages and subject to payroll tax withholding. That might sound like a bunch of arcane tax law mumbo jumbo, but what it means is that restaurants have to treat those tips like regular wages.

Typically, the IRS left it up to the waiter or tipped employees to declare that money. But with this new change the waiter won't see those "tips" until payday—instead of the end of the shift. And restaurants will have to withhold federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes on that money, too.

What it means for the diner is that those automatic 18% gratuity charges on tables of 6 or more may well be a thing of the past. The addition has been added onto large parties to ensure that servers are paid for catering to a large group.

That doesn't mean you should use this an excuse to start stiffing people. Remember, the minimum wage laws here in the states for tipped workers is still at a shocking $2.13 an hour. And, as evidenced by this video, a few extra bucks means a lot to the service workers of America.

The new rule actually went into effect in June of 2012, however the IRS postponed enforcement until January 2014 to give restaurateurs enough time to adjust and properly comply.

While it might seem great to have some freedom as a costumer, the service industry isn't so excited about the idea.

Says the SF Business Times:
“For employers, payroll taxes will go up because the server’s wages will go up,” said Jordan Bernstein of Michelman & Robinson, LLP, who works with a number of hospitality clients. “On the employee side, they will have to wait two weeks to get that money because it’ll be added to their paychecks — and as we all know, most servers are living day to day on those tips.”

Moreover, the rule could also make restaurants, “easy prey for class action attorneys that want to go after employee wage claims,” Bernstein said.

So, bottom line, always remember to tip your server well.

SoonerDave
12-26-2013, 06:53 PM
So the change only affects those gratuities "automatically" applied by virtue of the "X% tip for groups of Y or more" signs, right?

If I understand that right, seems to me its just a backdoor way to stop that kind of "tip" practice.

Martin
12-26-2013, 07:38 PM
i was under the impression that credit card tips were also subject to withholding but might be wrong... -M

gjl
12-26-2013, 08:22 PM
I never put tips on a CC when we eat out. When I pay with a CC I always put 0 on the tip line and leave a cash tip. I don't know if that really helps the waiter or waitress, but it's what I do thinking it might help them hide a little of it..

catch22
12-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I never put tips on a CC when we eat out. When I pay with a CC I always put 0 on the tip line and leave a cash tip. I don't know if that really helps the waiter or waitress, but it's what I do thinking it might help them hide a little of it..

When I waited tables cash tips went into a separate pocket. That money never existed. Kept it separate from my change bank.

Stew
12-26-2013, 09:23 PM
i was under the impression that credit card tips were also subject to withholding but might be wrong... -M

Are you the artist formerly known as MMM? Don't Prince me man.

MWCGuy
12-27-2013, 02:29 AM
I always tip my server because I know the base pay is so low.

Awesome service (Waiter/Waitress attentive takes care of business and goes out of there way to take care of me and my party) I tip 20-25%

Good service (Waiter/Waitress provides standard service) I tip 18-20%

Ok service (a few mistakes, a careless attitude) I tip 15%

Lousy service (Bad attitude, forgets we exist,) I leave a dollar.

One girl was so lousy a Cheddars that I left her the change in my pocket (63 cents). I also left a note that politely suggested she find a new line of work. She spent more time talking to her friends who were on break at the table across the way then she did waiting on us. Had it not been so late in the day we would have just ate elsewhere. It took forever to get the drinks, then for her to take our order and finally bring the food out after we had been there over an hour. We spoke with manager and he just shrugged it off. We have not been back to Cheddar's since.

RadicalModerate
12-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the tip regarding tips . . .
No more putting the gratuity on the CC by me.
Cash only from here on out.
(except maybe one or two percent on the card and the remaining nineteen or eighteen percent in cash.)

Anonymous.
12-31-2013, 01:50 PM
When I waited tables cash tips went into a separate pocket. That money never existed. Kept it separate from my change bank.

I don't think I have ever heard of a server actually reporting the cash they pick up off the table, to the IRS. Which again is another flaw in the USA tax system. Kind of like purchasing items online and not collecting sales tax. Everybody does it, so why not you?

CCOKC
12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
I am not sure if you have actually looked at box 1 of the W-2 form but it specifically states Wages, tips and other compensation and always has. That is why tips should be reported, it is the law. I would be careful before you go on a public forum and advise people to commit tax fraud. (Anonymous or not).

Anonymous.
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't think simply pointing out how the system is flawed (and should be corrected) warrants a black van visit. :D

RadicalModerate
01-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't think simply pointing out how the system is flawed (and should be corrected) warrants a black van visit. :D

When I slip the cash into the waiter or waitress hand, I will trust that they will share it justly with the rest of the underpaid and overworked staff at the dining location.

If I'm not mistaken--and I probably am--waitstaff gets "charged" a certain amount of "taxes due" based on ticket totals--whether the tip was received or not. Just another example of how [Income] Tax is Slavery. But I sort of got over getting all militant about this after checking out what happened to Gordon Kahl (et. al.) "back in the day" . . .

Mel
01-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Since I don't play well with others being part of a group at a eatery doesn't happen very much at all. If a server does not report all his tips to the Gov I don't blame them. They make lousy wages.