View Full Version : Roy Rogers Roast Beef

jmarkross
12-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I miss the joy of a Ranch Hand Platter...used to go to the one on Lindsay Street in Norman on the 'Hungry Mile' back in the day...

kevinpate
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Yep, though later than your days. It was still kicking in the late late 80's. A chum and I even made their marquee once long, long ago.

jmarkross
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Yep, though later than your days. It was still kicking in the late late 80's. A chum and I even made their marquee once long, long ago.

The Platter was just Okie McSmokie Skiddle De Doo when you were hungry! Ham or Roast beef...with fries and a drink (and some slaw?), was $1.59 back then...good deal, a good alternative from time to time to a No. 1 with Cheese and Mayo at the Boomerang just down the Street...remember Lum's (almost no one does)?

skyrick
12-04-2010, 05:17 PM
One of my old roommate's girlfriends worked at the RR on NW 23 & Bauer. She hated it when we all came in, because when all the "Ranch Hands" said "Howdy, parner!" or "Happy trails!" we'd all bust out laughing, embarrassing her. Of course, we usually had a little help being giggly when we went here.

MustangGT
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I remember and frequented their location at 59th and N. May. I like them 10 times more than Arbys. I still think the were better than Arbys although I now forced to eat Arbys or miss it altogether.

jmarkross
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
One of my old roommate's girlfriends worked at the RR on NW 23 & Bauer. She hated it when we all came in, because when all the "Ranch Hands" said "Howdy, parner!" or "Happy trails!" we'd all bust out laughing, embarrassing her. Of course, we usually had a little help being giggly when we went here.

Sounds like the scene with Conrad and his new GF at the McDonald's in the great movie..."Ordinary People"...

kevinpate
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Lum's as a food haus doesn't register with me. Only Lum's that comes to mind was a ways back in se ok, but it was a tire store.

skyrick
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
...remember Lum's (almost no one does)?

Lum's was great! on NW 23rd, west of OCU, right? That would have been around 1968.

bluedogok
12-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I always liked the Trigger Burger...I mean Double R Bar. Loved their sauce. I frequented the one at 39th & Meridian, then the one on Lindsay in Norman until they started closing and finally the one on Lincoln.

I know they still exist in the Northeast, the last one that I personally saw was in Alexandria, Virgina.

jmarkross
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Lum's was great! on NW 23rd, west of OCU, right? That would have been around 1968.

I used to pull in and there was almost always no one else there...and order a pretty decent Monte Cristo sandwich--not bad for a drive-in...the Lum's I went to was on McGee Street in Norman...just south of the Boomerang...did not stay open there for long...another real short-timer in Norman (among many others) was the Dog 'n Suds near Flood and Robinson in the late 60's...and who could forget Big Guy Burgers on Flood just south of Robinson with the famous soft drinks like the "Hot 'n Tot"...flavored with rum extract...

BBatesokc
12-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I worked at the RR on NW 39th Street when I was 14. I had worked across the street prior at a Mexican restaurant named Monterey House for over a year until they found out my real age (too young to legally work there). I hated the "Howdy Partner" and "Happy Trails" requirements. I also remember we had some promotion with 'wooden nickels' that had to do with saving them up for a chicken meal.

What I remember most about the place was how filthy the cooking area was and how we had a burger press that made the burger look thicker around the edges and thin in the middle (which is where we'd put the sauces). I also remember we weren't allowed to throw out ingredients that obviously looked like they had gone bad. A co-worker even got fired when a bunch of food fell onto the floor and she threw it all away. The manager wanted it used anyway. I quit one day when I was told to the clean the restrooms (no big deal, we all took turns). But our restroom was on the outside of the building near the back. Someone had gone in there and used everything except the toilet bowl to relive themselves. I decided there were plenty of other minimum wage jobs out there, so I left and went to work for Godfather's on NW 23rd.

SoonerQueen
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM
We loved Roy Rogers. I live not too far from the old 59th and N May location. The food was really good.

gen70
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
The last Roy Rogers I went to was on a turnpike in pennsylvania about 15 yrs. ago. I lived on the southside of OKC so I usually went to the one on S.W. 59th and Blackwelder. I liked the place, wish they were still around.

bluedogok
12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
The last Roy Rogers I went to was on a turnpike in pennsylvania about 15 yrs. ago. I lived on the southside of OKC so I usually went to the one on S.W. 59th and Blackwelder. I liked the place, wish they were still around.
From the Roy Rogers Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=118964606267)

Corporate-Owned Restaurants (18)
Cumberland 624 Queen City Drive Cumberland MD 21502
Frederick (Rt. 40) 1240 West Patrick Street Frederick MD 21703
Frederick (Rt. 85) 5622 Buckeystown Pike Frederick MD 21704
Frederick (Amber Meadows) 191 Thomas Johnson Drive Frederick MD 21702
King Street 451 S. King Street Leesburg VA 20175
Frederick (East Gate) 1204 E. Patrick Street Frederick MD 21701
Germantown 12907 Wisteria Drive Germantown MD 20874
Hagerstown (Valley Mall) 1719 Massey Blvd Hagerstown MD 21740
Hagerstown (Burhan’s) 100 North Burhan’s Blvd Hagerstown MD 21740
Leesburg 540 East Market Street Leesburg VA 20176
Thurmont 203 Frederick Road Thurmont MD 21788
Brunswick 28 Souder Road Brunswick MD 21716
Frederick (Rt. 26) 1990 Riverside Way Frederick MD 21701
Frederick (Ballenger) 301 Ballenger Center Drive Frederick MD 21703
Gaithersburg 9607 Lost Knife Road Gaithersburg MD 20877
Ranson 144 Oak Lee Drive Ranson WV 25438
Westminster 6 Baltimore Blvd. Westminster MD 21157
Fox Chapel 19775 Frederick Road Germantown MD 20876

Franchisee-owned Restaurants (32)
Pine Beach 120 Atlantic City Blvd. Pine Beach NJ 8741
Delaware House 630 JFK Memorial Hwy Newark DE 19702
Maryland House JFK Memorial Hwy PO Box 1137 Aberdeen MD 21001
Molly Pitcher SvPl Rd 2 Box 23 NJ Turnpike Cranbury NJ 8512
Walt Whitman SvPl Kresson & Hojo Rd NJ Turnpike Cherry Hill NJ 8034
Woodrow Wilson SvPl PO Box 8006 NJ Turnpike Trenton NJ 8650
Alex Hamilton SvPl PO Box 2301 NJ Turnpike Secaucus NJ 7094
Grover Cleveland PO Box 616 NJ Turnpike Woodbridge NJ 7095
Ocean View TrPl PO Box 87 Garden State Pkwy Oceanview NJ 8240
Pattersonville SvPl MP 168 Westbound NY Thruway Pattersonville NY 12137
Clifton Springs MP 336 Eastbound Rt. 96 NY Thruway Clifton Springs NY 14432
Plattekill SvPl 6474 Interstate 87 Wallkill NY 12568
New Baltimore SvPl PO Box 130 Hannacroix NY 12087
Junius Pond 1399 Nine Foot Road Phelps NY 14532
Ulster PO Box 248 Ruby NY 12476
Indian Castle SvCntr PO Box 555 Little Falls NY 13385
Peter J Camile Trpl MM 349 W Bound Exit 22/23 PA Tnpk Elverson PA 19520
Blue Mountain SvPl 396 Old Sawmill Dr. (located between exit 226 & 201 mp 202.5) Newburg PA 17240
Allentown SvPl 5052 Cetronia Rd PA Turnpike Allentown PA 18104
Plainfield SvPl Milepost 219.1 PA Turnpike Plainfield PA 17081
S. Somerset SvPl RD 5 Box 230 PA Turnpike Somerset PA 15501
Shirley 17 McGraw St. Shirley NY 11967
Manassas Park 8502 Centreville Rd. Manassas Park VA 22111
Mt. Carmel 474 Roney Lane Cincinnati OH 45244
Bel Air 1435 Rock Spring Road Bel Air MD 21014
Solomons Island 14000 H.G. Truman Road Solomons Island MD 20688
New York #18 401 7th Avenue New York NY 10001
American Auto Stop 273 Clarks Falls Road North Stonington CT 6359
Alexandria #11 8860 Richmond Hwy (Woodlawn) Alexandria VA 22309
Alexandria #12 1506 Belleview Blvd Alexandria VA 22307
Alexandria #13 7013-F Manchester Lakes Blvd Franconia VA 22310
Sturbridge Rt. 15 Mashapaug Rd./PO Box 373 Sturbridge MA 1566

gjl
12-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Roy Rogers Roast Beef. So much better roast beef than Arbys. And when they were slicing it from the middle of the roast it it was a little pink and juicy, boy that was good. And the Double R Bar burgers with the sliced ham on top. Sure wish they were still around. I ate at the one on 39th west of Meridian a lot.

kevinpate
12-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Roy Rogers ... ahh, memories. Only one I ever ate at was on W Lindsey in Norman. Yummy.

Pete
12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
There are still some around on the east coast:

Roy Rogers (http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/)

Used to eat at the one on 39th in high school and the one on Lindsey in Norman during college. Loved the Double R burger and their BBQ sauce.

Tavia
12-13-2013, 10:35 AM
We used to eat at the one on SW 59th, between Blackwelder and S. Penn. It was so yummy!

Pete
12-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Here are some old ads:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/royrogers1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/royrogers72.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/royrogers82.jpg

ctchandler
12-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I wasn't into the roast beef, but I loved their Double R burgers. I did have one of my worst experiences at the one on S. W. 59th between South Western and Penn and I never went back to that one. I have eaten at on on the East part of the country. I believe it was in 2004. They didn't have the Double R burger, but it was decent for fast food.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I wasn't into the roast beef, but I loved their Double R burgers. I did have one of my worst experiences at the one on S. W. 59th between South Western and Penn and I never went back to that one. I have eaten at on on the East part of the country. I believe it was in 2004. They didn't have the Double R burger, but it was decent for fast food.
C. T.

Anyone who disses Roy Rogers' never ate at Roy Rogers'. As someone noted, above, Arby's is a pale imitation of Roy Rogers' . . . expecially the Daliesque Cowboy hat on their, that is, Arby's, Logo. I miss Roy Rogers'. The sandwich place, not so much the old movies, TV shows and songs by Roy Rogers.

I seem to recall that Cosmo Kramer had a similar fondness for Kenny Roger's Fried Chicken.
but that was then and this is now. =)

bluedogok
12-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I rarely ate at Arby's until Roy Roger's closed.

betts
12-13-2013, 10:20 PM
We used to eat at the one on 23rd St when we moved here. I think it was where Mutt's is now. That was fast food that didn't taste fast. Arby's can't begin to compete with Roy Rogers.

gjl
12-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Roy Rogers roast beef looked and tasted like real roast beef. The stuff Arbys tries to pass off as roast beef reminds me of that cheap Buddig lunch meat in the stores. The cheapest of the cheap lunch meat. I call it plastic roast beef.

zookeeper
12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Roy Rogers was one of my favorites as a kid.

http://i.imgur.com/feAArA1.jpg

BBatesokc
12-14-2013, 04:07 AM
"Howdy Partner" and "Happy Trails" --- those two lines will haunt me forever! And those damn wooden coins. I worked at the Roy Rogers on 39th street when I was a young teen.

ctchandler
12-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Gjl,
Roy Rogers capitalized on some really bad publicity when a federal group (FDA, FTC?) found that Arby's roast beef wasn't roast beef, it was reconstituted roast beef. Not bad, actually tasted good, but truth in advertising kind of got in the way. Roy Rogers expanded rapidly during that time because their roast beef was what they advertised. I don't remember why RR left the state, they seemed to be busy. Probably mis-management of the overall RR brand (pun intended) country wide. Looks like they are only in Md, Va, Pa, and WV. Too bad.
C. T.
Roy Rogers roast beef looked and tasted like real roast beef. The stuff Arbys tries to pass off as roast beef reminds me of that cheap Buddig lunch meat in the stores. The cheapest of the cheap lunch meat. I call it plastic roast beef.

SoonerDave
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Remember the RR over on 59th and Blackwelder...ate there a lot back in the day. I just can't get into Arby's much. Their roast beef sandwiches have this funky......flavor.....that just kinda makes me curl up my lip and wish I were somewhere else. They used to have a decent roast chicken club sandwich, and some italian-style subs, but they (of course) discontinued them, so I just don't have much reason to go to Arby's anymore.

I do remember that RR and Hardee's were comingled in the NE around Maryland many years ago...don't know if that's still the case. The funny thing I remember is that in that part of the country, Dr. Pepper is virtually unheard of, so when I walked in and ordered a burger and a DP, they looked at me like I had four eyeballs, and said "What's a Dr. Pepper," and when I said "Seriously?" I gave up...

I mean, okay, some drinks are regional, less popular in some areas than others, but good grief, Dr. Pepper is pretty well known...or at least I sure thought it was....

bluedogok
12-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Dr. Pepper is in worldwide distribution now, probably expanded even more since the Cadbury-Schweppes takeover and subsequent spin off of the brand into the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group. I even found some in Tokyo in 1996.

ctchandler
12-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Actually, I lived in Maryland on the Pennsylvania border (Cascade, Md.) from 1965 till 1968 and they had Dr. Pepper, it just wasn't very popular. Probably because of the distribution. I don't remember if they had Mr. Pibb or not, which is a soft drink that tastes a lot like Dr. Pepper. I don't remember any Roy Rogers restaurants in the area, but there may have been some.
C. T.

Steve
12-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Gjl,
Roy Rogers capitalized on some really bad publicity when a federal group (FDA, FTC?) found that Arby's roast beef wasn't roast beef, it was reconstituted roast beef. Not bad, actually tasted good, but truth in advertising kind of got in the way. Roy Rogers expanded rapidly during that time because their roast beef was what they advertised. I don't remember why RR left the state, they seemed to be busy. Probably mis-management of the overall RR brand (pun intended) country wide. Looks like they are only in Md, Va, Pa, and WV. Too bad.
C. T.

Roy Rogers met the same fate as Howard Johnson's - both were owned and controlled by Marriott, and then sold off too new owners who ruined the brand (with Roy Rogers, it was the company that owns Hardee's and Carl's Jr.). Several years ago the surviving franchisees managed to escape from the inept corporate set-up, went out on their own, and they appear to be making a better go of it than a similar attempt once made by surviving Howard Johnson's franchisees (to my knowledge, there is just one or two HJs left). What's sad for me is that HJ and Roy Rogers were the two places my grandmother loved to take me to as a kid, and I can't share the experience of those memories with my kids.

mkjeeves
12-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Double R burger on 23rd. Yum.

right after cashing my paycheck at citizens

SoonerDave
12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Actually, I lived in Maryland on the Pennsylvania border (Cascade, Md.) from 1965 till 1968 and they had Dr. Pepper, it just wasn't very popular. Probably because of the distribution. I don't remember if they had Mr. Pibb or not, which is a soft drink that tastes a lot like Dr. Pepper. I don't remember any Roy Rogers restaurants in the area, but there may have been some.
C. T.

I don't think Mr. Pibb, a Coke-created Dr. Pepper knockoff, has been around much more than a decade or two. Soft drink buff might prove me wrong, but I think Coke made Mr. Pibb in a bid to squeeze out Dr. Pepper, then coerce retailers to stop selling Dr. Pepper by offering the inexplicably evil Pibb for a lot less money because it was a "Coke family product." Don't do much soda any more, but man, Mr. Pibb was a poor, poor copy of Dr. P in my book.

If there was a place that offered Coke and Dr. P, I always chose the latter, but if it were a Coke-product only place that tried to sell you that Pibb was the "same thing" as Dr. Pepper, I'd be forced to punish them by getting a cup of water instead....wasn't about to give Coke my money that way.

rezman
12-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Mr Pibb has been around since the 70's.

Bill Robertson
12-21-2013, 08:22 PM
One of my best friends in high school worked at the NW 58th & May store. I went there a lot. He was there one night when a gunman robbed the store and made all the emloyees stay in the walk-in cooler. It was too much like Sirloin Stockade and about the same time. He quit and I just couldn't go back either. Too bad because they really good.

bluedogok
12-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Yep....introduced in 1972 as Peppo, reintroduced in 1973 as Dr. Pibb and later renamed Mr. Pibb that year.

kevinpate
12-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Sad, but true.

GaryOKC6
12-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I worked at the one on 57th & May in high school at 15 years old. I worked in the back where we cooked the meat and prepped everything. The place was over run with crickets. They were everywhere including the food. It is now Chelenos and I hope that they were able to get rid of them. I still loved Roy Rogers though and wish they were still around.

kevinpate
12-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Crickets huh ... and just when i had convinced myself all my crunchy memories were fresh cracked black pepper.
thanks.

I keed. Loved discovering me some RR when I came to Norman.

soonergeezer
08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
The Double R burger was great, especially with the bbq sauce(my mouth still waters thinking about it). They had a dessert I believe was called Apple crisp(apples cinnamon butter) and it was tart and tangy and sweet and really good. The meat for the roast beef was actual meat(brisket), not that crap they try to pass off as meat at Arbys. I had 2 friends that worked at the one on nw 59th and May. This was the time period when Linda Cavanaugh worked there. One of my friends was a manager and decided to quit. The last night he worked he called me and asked for a ride home. when I got there, he came out with a package under his arm and had an entire brisket cut into 3 pieces. He gave me one piece and kept the others for himself. I really miss the food from there. Even when it wasn't free.