View Full Version : Guyutes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Pete
08-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I have parked on N.W. 23rd every time I have gone... Seriously? If you think this place will "single handedly crater both your property values and the overall quality of life of the entire neighborhood" you should probably go ahead and move now! I know a few realtors that you can contact...

LAJJ, the guy you quoted was being sarcastic.

LAJJ
08-24-2015, 08:24 PM
LAJJ, the guy you quoted was being sarcastic. That's good to know... :) I couldn't believe someone would actually think that...

Pete
08-24-2015, 08:26 PM
He lives in Mesta Park and was mocking some of his neighbors who were making far too big a deal out of the impact on the neighborhood.

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet!

LAJJ
08-24-2015, 08:35 PM
He lives in Mesta Park and was mocking some of his neighbors who were making far too big a deal out of the impact on the neighborhood.

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet! Thanks for letting me know... You are correct, it is hard to read sarcasm on the web., I'm glad to know it was sarcasm. Pete, are you coming to OKC anytime soon. I would love to have a beer with you on Guyutes rooftop patio... I just left the place, and the they were rocking it on a Monday night. So glad to see so many people enjoying the great food, and the rooftop patio with such great weather for August in OKC. I just grabbed a beer and a pizza to go... It was awesome!

Pete
08-24-2015, 08:37 PM
I will be there soon!

End of September.

Really looking forward to it.

no1cub17
08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
I will be there soon!

End of September.

Sounds like the perfect OKCTalk meetup!

Teo9969
08-25-2015, 01:02 PM
I will be there soon!

End of September.

By the time you get here you'll have forgotten that Sidecar opened up!!! Your to-do list is already piling up!

Pete
08-25-2015, 01:08 PM
By the time you get here you'll have forgotten that Sidecar opened up!!! Your to-do list is already piling up!

I hit Sidecar twice last trip but didn't get to everything else.

My new to do list is already getting long with several more places set to open soon.

Nice problem to have!

CaseyCornett
08-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Are we only talking about Mesta and HH because Guyutes is on the southside of 23rd? I saw both of those neighborhoods mentioned multiple times in this last page of the thread, but nothing mentioning Paseo/Edgemere/Central Park.

I only ask because I live in Central Park and the very reason I wanted to move where I did (2.5 years ago) had to do with the excitement I had for the future of 23rd. Now that future excitement is becoming a reality and I can hardly take it. :)

kevinpate
08-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Some people fear the future. well, as much as anything they may simply fear their own fear of the future.

Teo9969
08-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Are we only talking about Mesta and HH because Guyutes is on the southside of 23rd? I saw both of those neighborhoods mentioned multiple times in this last page of the thread, but nothing mentioning Paseo/Edgemere/Central Park.

I only ask because I live in Central Park and the very reason I wanted to move where I did (2.5 years ago) had to do with the excitement I had for the future of 23rd. Now that future excitement is becoming a reality and I can hardly take it. :)

We're talking about HH/MP because they're the only groups who have vocalized any sort of organized concern.

2Lanez
08-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Same here... Every time I go I park on N.W. 23rd street. I haven't had a problem with parking at all... :)

I did this Friday night. Someone side-swiped my car. No note, no phone number. Safe to say I should have parked in the neighborhood.

Urbanized
08-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Last night my motorcycle fit nicely on a protected corner drive/sidewalk island right by the front door.

soonerguru
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Is this a "Phish-themed bar?" I've seen some snide, pejorative jokes on my Facebook feed about this.

Pete
08-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Is this a "Phish-themed bar?" I've seen some snide, pejorative jokes on my Facebook feed about this.

Yes.

PhiAlpha
08-27-2015, 04:17 PM

Guyute is a fish song

soonerguru
08-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Wow. I don't know what to say other than I wish them much success. I think I was confused about this concept, thinking it was going to be more Latin inspired.

John Knight
08-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Tried this place out yesterday. We sat on the rooftop which is absolutely amazing. The service and food was good as well.

11407 11408

Anonymous.
08-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Checked it out this past weekend.

Only drank, so no food comments. Went Saturday night. Place looks fantastic, downstairs was pretty dead - rooftop was packed. The layout is a little odd, I feel like they crammed as many tables as they could and didn't really leave room to move around. The bar is in the back, which makes getting drinks and going back to the drink rail to 'hang out' difficult. I think it would be largely improved if 3 tables or so were removed from the roof. There needs to be more of a clear path/lounging area for people to just enjoy the rooftop, without being served at a table.

Bartenders were nice, but not very attentive. No big deal, they seemed overwhelmed anyways. $2 Red Peak special is pretty great.

Urbanized
08-31-2015, 08:19 AM
This place is the tale of two cities...err...bars. The rooftop is AWESOME and a HUGE hit, and I have yet to see customers downstairs...at all. Obviously part of that has to do with how great the roof is and also the time of year, so hopefully the crowds upstairs move downstairs when the weather turns, but I'm not so sure. The inside space is limited by lack of windows, but as a friend pointed out to me The Mule is hugely successful inside with a very similarly dealt hand, space-wise. I think it's more about the current layout, furnishings, lighting (and perhaps lack of the last two items), etc., but the interior feels sortof dank and foreboding.

ljbab728
08-31-2015, 09:02 PM
It seems very interesting to me, since I went on a Saturday night, that I saw something just the opposite of most people. The downstairs was packed and the rooftop was no more than 1/4 full all of the time I was there. There were no weather issues at all that could have affected that.

Urbanized
08-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Mixup on my tab the other night. I came in to discuss (and have a drink). They checked into it while I sipped upstairs. Came upstairs and apologized for the mixup; I suggested we just apply the difference to my tab, which the owner agreed to. But when I went to tab, my entire bill was taken care of. Nice guys, nice place. I'm really pulling for them. BTW also had some appies, and they were fantastic. Did I mention they have an excellent beer selection?

Pete
09-11-2015, 06:00 AM
They will be open at 11AM starting on Monday.

LAJJ
09-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Pete, I was there last night for dinner and found out they will start opening at 11:00 a.m. today, Monday, Sept 14th, 2015. So their new hours of operation will be daily Monday thru Sunday (Every day of the week) 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. - It will be nice to have a new lunch place to go.

dankrutka
09-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I stopped here for dinner on Thursday. It was a beautiful night and the rooftop was packed. There were some people downstairs and I kind of liked the indoor space -- which has not receieved great reviews here. They seemed to a little understaffed and it took a bit long to get that first drink, but the food was great and the server nice. They livestreamed a Phish concert -- I assume it was Phish -- on the wall and a table of people near us showed up just to watch it. It definitely had a Venice, California feel to me. It's just very idiosyncratic, which was nice. If you haven't been I recommend giving this place a try.

king183
09-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Went here on Friday night. Overall, it was a pretty good, fun experience. The upstairs bar was packed and people seemed to love it up there. I sat downstairs, and the atmosphere down there was a little off, but not bad. It could use a bit of work. The food is really not good. My table had three different items and none of them were good. The staff was realy nice and helpful. They have a good beer selection. I'll think they'll do well, especially as 23rd keeps getting better.

Bullbear
09-29-2015, 07:28 AM
We went on Saturday for the first time. the food was great! I highly recommend the sun Fries appetizer! We ate inside and the inside feels very unfinished. tables kind of sparsely thrown into the space and just feels incomplete. We had a drink after dinner on the deck and much better vibe up there.

no1cub17
10-05-2015, 01:00 PM
This place is amazing. So many times I've said in past year "wow this is a real game changer for OKC" - but there's something about guyutes that's particularly brilliant and unique.

It's just mind boggling to me that they could face such strong opposition from the NIMBYs. Everyone who opposed this awesomeness should be banned from ever experiencing it IMO.

soonerguru
10-06-2015, 10:57 AM
I keep considering going to check this place out, but I don't want to be there if they are streaming Phish concerts. LOL. Any advice on when to go to avoid this?

Bullbear
10-06-2015, 11:09 AM
I'd say don't go on a night that Phish are playing live. they have been on tour all summer.
we went on a Saturday and it was football.
upstairs on the deck it wouldn't really matter what was playing.

dankrutka
10-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I keep considering going to check this place out, but I don't want to be there if they are streaming Phish concerts. LOL. Any advice on when to go to avoid this?

Even when they're livestreaming a Phish concert, it's pretty easy to ignore. It's just on in the background and they're not blaring the music any louder than normal. Phish music fades into the background anyway...

soonerguru
10-06-2015, 10:04 PM
I went this evening, sat on the rooftop, and really loved the vibe. I didn't eat, but when I do, I will try the felafel. Totally get the Phish vibe now. Liked it. That is my favorite patio setting in OKC, and it didn't hurt that we have absolutely perfect weather.

I noticed several very stoned people were there. I can see why. What a great place to be stoned with perfect weather and affordable, arguably healthy munchies. That also seems like a great place to do some hardcore day drinking.

:)

doufan
10-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Ate there for lunch today. I thought the atmosphere was cool. Their beer list was pretty extensive.

I was a little put off by the prices. 14 bucks for a burger and a drink (no sides) is a bit much for lunch. I had the mac and cheese burger. It was good but it wasn't 11 dollars good.

I might come back some evening and have a drink but probably not for lunch.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 03:09 PM
It's 11 dollars for a burger at Bricktown Brewery. Not saying that justifies anything, but was it better than a Bricktown Brewery Burger? Unfortunately it is probably the way of things now. I've been noticing at many places that $11 burgers are the new normal.

catch22
10-09-2015, 03:51 PM
This place is amazing. So many times I've said in past year "wow this is a real game changer for OKC" - but there's something about guyutes that's particularly brilliant and unique.

It's just mind boggling to me that they could face such strong opposition from the NIMBYs. Everyone who opposed this awesomeness should be banned from ever experiencing it IMO.

We have been saying every single development is a game changer. I'm guilty of this in many threads.

I realized today that these developments are not changing the game at all, because we are now in a totally new game. All of these new developments are average for the new game OKC is in.

Get used to it.

I'm more and more regretting moving to Portland.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 03:59 PM

That's surprising to hear.

catch22
10-09-2015, 05:34 PM
That's surprising to hear.

I don't want this thread to be about me, so I will keep it short.

It is just so expensive to pay rent here, that there is nearly zero money left over to have fun.

There's hundreds of awesome bars and restaurants. World class amenities. But you have to be quite wealthy, or sacrifice a lot of living quality, to be a part of it. A guy I work with my age is living on someone's couch for $300 a month, in a small house that has 4 other guys. To me, communal living on a couch with 4 other people is not a good trade off for being able to afford to go out more frequently for fun.

I can see another transfer in my near future. I wish UA (actual UA and not contract workers) was still in OKC, I would move back in a heart beat for my old job.

The grass is truly greener on the other side.

bchris02
10-09-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't want this thread to be about me, so I will keep it short.

It is just so expensive to pay rent here, that there is nearly zero money left over to have fun.

There's hundreds of awesome bars and restaurants. World class amenities. But you have to be quite wealthy, or sacrifice a lot of living quality, to be a part of it. A guy I work with my age is living on someone's couch for $300 a month, in a small house that has 4 other guys. To me, communal living on a couch with 4 other people is not a good trade off for being able to afford to go out more frequently for fun.

I can see another transfer in my near future. I wish UA (actual UA and not contract workers) was still in OKC, I would move back in a heart beat for my old job.

The grass is truly greener on the other side.

You make some excellent points. You hear all the time in the media about how awesome it is to be a twentysomething in Portland, but they don't tell you the economics of it. I have heard there is a pretty significant homeless problem there and a lot of it is young people who buy into the hype, move there unprepared for the sticker shock, and then end up not making it. It's a little better in Austin but I've heard its becoming a problem there as well.

CP405
10-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Probably a stupid question, but how do you pronounce the name of this place haha? Guy-yoots?

catch22
10-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Probably a stupid question, but how do you pronounce the name of this place haha? Guy-yoots?

Guy - yet - ayes

no1cub17
10-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Damn that stinks! Sorry to hear. Hey now that SMI/J was sent packing, maybe the new CEO will reverse some of the worst cutbacks and bring actual UA employees back into the fold? I'm sure the UA passengers here would love to have you back!

no1cub17
10-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Haha not stupid at all - we also have no idea. Along with our friends, we come up with new pronunciations every time.

catch22
10-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Guy - yet - ayes

Haha not stupid at all - we also have no idea. Along with our friends, we come up with new pronunciations every time.

I just found a yelp review saying it is pronounced "Guy - yew - tees". Apparently it means Ugly Pig.

sooner88
10-10-2015, 06:43 AM
I just found a yelp review saying it is pronounced "Guy - yew - tees". Apparently it means Ugly Pig.

It's a Phish song....

Pete
10-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Finally made it there... That rooftop deck is the business.

What a great spot.

Pete
11-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Hung out there last night for several hours and had a blast.

For Thunder games, they project on the big east wall and it's pretty slick.

Also, with the heaters and the walls on the east and south side, it stayed pretty pleasant all night. I bet that deck gets plenty of use even on coolish days.

john60
11-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Are they going to cover and heat the patio during the winter?

adaniel
11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Hung out there last night for several hours and had a blast.

For Thunder games, they project on the big east wall and it's pretty slick.

Also, with the heaters and the walls on the east and south side, it stayed pretty pleasant all night. I bet that deck gets plenty of use even on coolish days.

I mean to give my mini review of this place as I was in town last weekend on a visit family/friends trip.

The roof deck is a great space. We went Thursday night and it was just a bit chilly outside, but I felt the heaters kept it comfortable. I had the Wu-Plantang wrap....it was very different but solid nonetheless. I washed it down with probably one of the best Old Fashions I've ever had.

All in all, great place.

Buffalo Bill
11-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Interesting parallels here:
Chef Neal Brown scraps plan for Juanita restaurant in Fletcher Place (http://www.indystar.com/story/money/2015/11/09/chef-neal-brown-scraps-plan-juanita-restaurant-fletcher-place/75456010/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=)

Chadanth
11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Went with the wife a few days ago. We had the bacon-wrapped tomatoes, which were good and surprisingly light. Then we tried the pear-eggplant-pesto pizza which was a small portion, but very delicious. Good size for one or for two to split. We then got the Guyutes, the namesake dish, so to speak, which was three small cubes of roasted pork belly on a bed of kale and whipped potatoes. It was much more filling, and very good. It was well seasoned with a variety of favors. The food and drink selection was overall, very good.

That said, the seating sucks. The bar stools are too short, though they said they are getting new, it makes sitting at the bar awkward. The regular tables and chairs are a bit cheap looking and feeling. I think they could do better on that aspect, but overall, I will be back for sure.

Uptowner
11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm always amazed by the intangible power held by residents who choose to buy homes adjacent commercial property. Especially when operators are looking to renovated abandoned heaps. Of course the neighbors want it quiet but does that benefit the community at large? They weren't the ones who bought 16 feet away from commercial property. Similar drama is going on by the rise over noise and street parking, I have the same sentiment. What did you think was going to happen? And no one mentions the reduction in crime, squatting, and urchins.

Teo9969
11-09-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm always amazed by the intangible power held by residents who choose to buy homes adjacent commercial property. Especially when operators are looking to renovated abandoned heaps. Of course the neighbors want it quiet but does that benefit the community at large? They weren't the ones who bought 16 feet away from commercial property. Similar drama is going on by the rise over noise and street parking, I have the same sentiment. What did you think was going to happen? And no one mentions the reduction in crime, squatting, and urchins.

Most freaking importantly: YOU'RE COMPLAINING THAT YOUR HOME VALUES ARE GOING TO GO UP!!!! Cry everyone a river, please.

bchris02
11-09-2015, 11:50 PM

People need to realize the central Oklahoma City is rapidly up and coming. I understand the desire for quiet, but if that is your priority, Edmond is waiting. Longtime residents who are unhappy with the changes could probably turn a decent profit by selling their place as much as land values in the core have increased. I think a little more noise is a small price to pay for increased land value, more life, and less crime in the neighborhood. As recently as last summer, it was kind of scary walking from Heritage Hills up to the Paseo, specifically on that stretch of walker just north of 23rd. Now that there's the Pump, Pizzeria Gusto, and the Rise, it has completely transformed that area. Now I walk it all the time.

Pete
11-17-2015, 06:51 AM
Phish food: Guyutes provides new kind of late-night fare

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record November 13, 2015 0

OKLAHOMA CITY – Hungry people leaving bars late at night have a handful of food options, with greasy fast-food chains leading the mix. Guyutes owners Wayne Perotka and Jarrod Friedel set out to change that.

The Uptown 23rd restaurant’s kitchen staff keeps cooking until 1:30 a.m. every night, though the eatery keeps its doors open until 2 a.m. The menu includes options for vegetarians.

“We wanted to give an alternative for people other than the late-night diner,” Perotka said. “We have healthy options, too.”

The late hours have made it popular with restaurant workers who leave jobs and need a place for a good meal, he said.

This is the pair’s first restaurant; Perotka worked in the industry and Friedel came from construction. They talked about the venture before purchasing the building at 730 NW 23rd St. building in 2011. They spent the next year creating a business plan. They considered finding investors, but sought a small business loan instead. BancFirst approved them for $500,000, which immediately made their dream become a reality.

“It was one of the most exciting things when we got that loan,” Friedel said.

But there was still work ahead of them. They started construction in March 2014 and stripped their building down to the outer four walls, leaving the cement block walls and cement floor. They renovated the flat roof into a patio bar, which has already been the site of a few marriage proposals.

The business partners wanted to create a place with fantastic food and a different environment than any other in the city. Their artist friend Phillip Danner did the outside mural and tabletop art.

“We have a laid-back energy,” Perotka said. “We take care of our staff. Our staff is like family now.”

Edmond-native Patrick Hart returned from a stint in Houston to be the executive chef. He left Edmond in 2010 to attend culinary school. He was working at Eatsie Boys food truck before he moved back.

“There’s something for everyone on the menu,” he said. “We have a lot of customers that are eating their way through the menu.”
He said he created diverse offerings to keep his own palate happy.

“I knew I’d be eating here every day and I didn’t want to get tired or bored,” he said.

With a food truck background, Hart’s dishes have an innovative, funky style that is often found at the popular mobile restaurants. He describes it as upscale bar food. Prices range from $7 to $11. Items range from a roasted beet hummus served with house-made sweet potato chips to a variety of wraps, salads and entrees such as braised pork belly or a house-made brisket meatloaf. A diverse beer menu and wine help complete the meals.

Hart’s food plays off the overall hip and eclectic vibe that can be expected at a restaurant named after a Phish song. Perotka and Friedel described themselves as Phishheads. They said the only vacations they ever take are to see live shows, and especially Phish concerts. The menu items are named with ties to bands or music in general.

“(The restaurant’s theme) is a piece of us,” Perotka said.

Guyutes opened its doors on Aug. 19, Friedel’s birthday. He put in 16 hours, but he said it was an exciting day.

“It was the first day of making money instead of spending it,” he said.

With three months under their belts, the pair said the venture has been better than expected.

“So far, so good,” Perotka said. “Both of our expectations have been met and so forth.”

ljbab728
11-17-2015, 09:58 PM
I went there right after they opened but haven't made it back since. Does anyone know if they have heaters in the roof area for dining in colder weather?

Pete
11-18-2015, 05:10 AM
Yes, they have quite a few heaters that really pump out the warmth.

Anonymous.
11-25-2015, 03:26 PM
They have a tent up on the roof now.

ljbab728
12-08-2015, 10:53 PM
I went here again on the Friday after Thanksgiving and took my daughter and her fiancé. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

http://m.newsok.com/gone-phishing-guyutes-in-oklahoma-city-expresses-offbeat-form-of-culinary-art/article/5465502

NewsOK Videos | GUYUTES located on NW 23rd (http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/4651853766001)

Pete
12-09-2015, 06:02 AM
Not sure how much that rooftop tent is being used... I suspect it's the domain of smokers this time of year.

But, even though their downstairs needs so work, it certainly appears that a lot of their crowd has transition to the inside because they've been relatively busy in there the last couple of times I went by.

ljbab728
12-09-2015, 09:16 PM
The last day I went it would have been too cold on the roof, even with the tent and heaters. I didn't even consider it and I doubt it was being used at the time. It was fairly empty downstairs when we where there, which was in the early afternoon. The décor downstairs is certainly nothing special but we had great food and service.