View Full Version : Guyutes

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

DoctorTaco
03-29-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

:Smiley122

Awesome

Spartan
03-30-2014, 06:08 PM
HH/MP and the like make me hate preservationists. And I'm as big a preservationist as there is.

bradh
03-30-2014, 08:43 PM
These folks have got to be in the minority, as everyone else I know that lives in these areas do nothing but brag about all the development coming.

Secondly, maybe they weren't there when I passed by today, or it wasn't allowed, but I thought I would have seen the involved parties in the "bars to come soon" have representation in front of their buildings at Open Streets, drumming up interest for their places.

PhiAlpha
03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
HH/MP and the like make me hate preservationists. And I'm as big a preservationist as there is.

Like I've said before, don't lump us all together. These people are in the minority and consist mainly of people living on 21st and 22nd. I think most of the hh/mp residents are for these projects, but as we all know, the opposition is usually louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchris02
03-30-2014, 09:23 PM
These NIMBY's need to accept they are part of a growing, gentrifying urban neighborhood or they need to sell and move to Edmond.

TheTonte
03-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Like I've said before, don't lump us all together. These people are in the minority and consist mainly of people living on 21st and 22nd. I think most of the hh/mp residents are for these projects, but as we all know, the opposition is usually louder.

MP resident here... I'm on 22nd and I am in support of these projects. I think you are right about the opposition being a loud minority opinion. It happens everywhere, Edmond to Downtown. People just get bored and want to complain about something. I think, and hope, this will pass.

Dubya61
03-31-2014, 12:46 PM
That would truly make OKC big league! I bet OKVision4U can make everyone in Mesta Park happy by building a 75 store, spinning, sex-shop tower.

It would have to be a stunning obelisk!

Dubya61
03-31-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to become concerned that the sex shop is not happening. There's been no discussion about it recently. Nothing. And what about the planned pawn shop and body piercing gallery? Again, nothing. Has Steve mentioned these on his chat? This is yet another example of a developer overpromising and underdelivering in OKC!

I hear they're going to build in Tulsa, instead.

dankrutka
03-31-2014, 01:55 PM
MP resident here... I'm on 22nd and I am in support of these projects. I think you are right about the opposition being a loud minority opinion. It happens everywhere, Edmond to Downtown. People just get bored and want to complain about something. I think, and hope, this will pass.

Don't just hope. If you live on 22nd then your voice speaks a lot louder than others. Think about sending an e-mail or attending a meeting (if you haven't already).

DammitDan
03-31-2014, 02:53 PM
So no one in Mesta Park batted an eye when the plasma clinic and pawnshops moved in? I'd like to know what kind of resistance those met when they set up shop on 23rd.

soonerguru
03-31-2014, 04:20 PM
I hear they're going to build in Tulsa, instead.

Dammit. Why does Tulsa get everything first?

:)

Urbanized
03-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Plasma clinic and pawn shops moved in when Mesta Park was known as "Messed Up Park" to Heritage Hills residents and many homes there (and even in HH) were chopped up into multifamily. Believe it or not that neighborhood was seriously sketchy in seventies and eighties.

pickles
03-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Plasma clinic and pawn shops moved in when Mesta Park was known as "Messed Up Park" to Heritage Hills residents and many homes there (and even in HH) were chopped up into multifamily. Believe it or not that neighborhood was seriously sketchy in seventies and eighties.

And we could find ourselves right back there again if the sex bar (Guyutes) is approved by the city.

soonerguru
03-31-2014, 08:17 PM
And we could find ourselves right back there again if the sex bar (Guyutes) is approved by the city.

I thought it was going to be an S&M bar? Why do they keep moving the goal posts? (shaking fists at the sky)

PhiAlpha
03-31-2014, 11:27 PM

Are you in the nextdoor mesta park group?

Just the facts
04-01-2014, 07:27 AM
What OKC needs is a full-time urban community activist to keep track of all these issues and mobilize people. If I lived there I would volunteer for the job.

dankrutka
04-01-2014, 07:48 AM
What OKC needs is a full-time urban community activist to keep track of all these issues and mobilize people. If I lived there I would volunteer for the job.

Isn't that what this site is already?!?

TheTonte
04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Are you in the nextdoor mesta park group?

Yes, but I need to check it more often. It looks like some of the more reasonable neighbors have started adding their comments recently. I will do the same.

LAJJ
04-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Guyutes is not going to be a Sex Bar....? I don't know where you received your information, but it is not correct. It is going to be an up-scale restaurant/bar. From what I know, the owners have been working on the concept for several years and plan on serving great quality food and have a full service bar with a large offering of different beers, wine etc. I look forward to this business opening and I know it is going to be an asset to the Uptown 23rd Street Development and the OKC area in general.

Pete
04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Guyutes is not going to be a Sex Bar....? I don't know where you received your information, but it is not correct. It is going to be an up-scale restaurant/bar. From what I know, the owners have been working on the concept for several years and plan on serving great quality food and have a full service bar with a large offering of different beers, wine etc. I look forward to this business opening and I know it is going to be an asset to the Uptown 23rd Street Development and the OKC area in general.

Welcome to the site, JJ.

The sex bar reference was supposed to be a joke.

warreng88
04-01-2014, 03:53 PM

It was a reference to The Edge Midtown apartments where a protester suggested that in future years storefronts could include a "sex shop."

Here is the article Steve Lackmeyer did: MidTown housing development wins approval from design committee | Phillips Murrah, PC (http://www.phillipsmurrah.com/articles/2012/01/20/midtown-housing-development-wins-approval-design-committee)

wsucougz
04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
In all honesty this city could use a good sex bar, though.

PhiAlpha
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
In all honesty this city could use a good sex bar, though.

Who couldn't?

LAJJ
04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the site, JJ.

The sex bar reference was supposed to be a joke.

I thought the reference might be sarcasm but I wanted to clarify and didn't want to see any additional mis-conceptions keeping these guys from moving forward on what should be a very cool place in Uptown.

soonerguru
04-01-2014, 07:44 PM

This is a long running inside joke, which started when some Heritage Hills NIMBYs unashamedly claimed in a city hearing that they were opposed to the Edge apartments out of fear the street-level retail spaces would be leased to sex shops, pawn shops and tattoo parlors. It has provided comedic fodder for years.

hoya
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM

More failed development promises. We're never going to catch up to Charlotte or St. Louis at this rate.

LAJJ
04-01-2014, 08:18 PM
This is a long running inside joke, which started when some Heritage Hills NIMBYs unashamedly claimed in a city hearing that they were opposed to the Edge apartments out of fear the street-level retail spaces would be leased to sex shops, pawn shops and tattoo parlors. It has provided comedic fodder for years.

I get it now, I figured it must be a joke, but I just joined this site and wanted to make sure that mis-info wasn't circulating about GUYUTES... I read the article from the link posted above.... fear and the idea of change makes people do crazy stuff.... GUYUTES will be a great place, and many of us are looking forward to it's opening.

wsucougz
04-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Who couldn't?

It would need its own parking garage

warreng88
04-02-2014, 07:04 AM
It would need its own parking garage

Nah, people could just park in the rear...

kevinpate
04-02-2014, 07:28 AM
</rimshot>

edcrunk
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm amazed no one wrote about those 3 asian guys that crashed into this building a week and a half ago. It was pretty sad, they all died.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm amazed no one wrote about those 3 asian guys that crashed into this building a week and a half ago. It was pretty sad, they all died.They did

Looks like they've got some extra work to do now:

Two people died in a crash and two others were hospitalized in Oklahoma City Thursday | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/two-people-died-in-a-crash-and-two-others-were-hospitalized-in-oklahoma-city-thursday/article/3947490)http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Guyutes&page=2#post765460

LakeEffect
04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
They did

I think Ed meant that there wasn't a follow up (that I saw) about the circumstances and the stories of the guys involved. I also didn't know that a third person died. Very sad.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 03:21 PM
I think Ed meant that there wasn't a follow up (that I saw) about the circumstances and the stories of the guys involved. I also didn't know that a third person died. Very sad.Oh, I see. Yeah, I never really put much thought into it, but it is really sad. I'm guessing there was alcohol involved?

dankrutka
04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Oh, I see. Yeah, I never really put much thought into it, but it is really sad. I'm guessing there was alcohol involved?

I know the kids and I'd be very surprised if alcohol was involved. They were not the part type at all. Great kids and a couple were my students at Westmoore. Very sad.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I know the kids and I'd be very surprised if alcohol was involved. They were not the part type at all. Great kids and a couple were my students at Westmoore. Very sad.Gotcha. Very sad indeed.

PhiAlpha
04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Anyone know when this is going back to whatever committee that has to approve this?

Pete
04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Anyone know when this is going back to whatever committee that has to approve this?

Planning Commission, April 24th.

LAJJ
04-08-2014, 08:28 PM
For anyone interested in coming to the next OKC planning commission meeting in support of Uptown 23rd/GUYUTES, the meeting will be held on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor. If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to show your support, please feel free to write a letter to Oklahoma City Planning Commission, stating your name and address. From my understanding the main concerns from some of the Mesta Park residents appears to be parking and noise. GUYUTES has secured additional parking and they are willing to put up signs directing their patrons to the specific parking area and additional signs reminding patrons not to park in the neighborhood behind the business. Regarding the noise issue, GUYUTES is currently working with residents to re-assure them that they will abide by the city’s noise ordinance. For those willing to write a letter, please mail the letter to:

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Thanks in advance for your support!

LAJJ
04-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Planning Commission, April 24th.

For anyone interested in coming to the next OKC planning commission meeting in support of Uptown 23rd/GUYUTES, the meeting will be held on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor. If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to show your support, please feel free to write a letter to Oklahoma City Planning Commission, stating your name and address. From my understanding the main concerns from some of the Mesta Park residents appears to be parking and noise. GUYUTES has secured additional parking and they are willing to put up signs directing their patrons to the specific parking area and additional signs reminding patrons not to park in the neighborhood behind the business. Regarding the noise issue, GUYUTES is currently working with residents to re-assure them that they will abide by the city’s noise ordinance. For those willing to write a letter, please mail the letter to:

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Pete
04-08-2014, 08:30 PM
LAJJ, in case you haven't seen this, we started a petition for both Guyutes and Daebak K:

MoveOn Petitions - Support of Guyutes and Daebak K in OKC's Uptown District (http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/support-of-guyutes-and?source=c.em.cp&r_by=10327255)

LAJJ
04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
LAJJ, in case you haven't seen this, we started a petition for both Guyutes and Daebak K:

MoveOn Petitions - Support of Guyutes and Daebak K in OKC's Uptown District (http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/support-of-guyutes-and?source=c.em.cp&r_by=10327255)

Hey Pete! Just wanted to let you know that I have heard from 3 people that say the petition site is not working... One said that it won't take their zip or comment... Another guy just stated that it wouldn't take any of his info and one other person said they filled it out and it doesn't show her name on the bottom of the page like it did her husband. If you know who to contact about these errors, that would be great. Thanks so much for starting the petition... I know GUYUTES group really appreciates your help!

ljbab728
04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Hey Pete! Just wanted to let you know that I have heard from 3 people that say the petition site is not working... One said that it won't take their zip or comment... Another guy just stated that it wouldn't take any of his info and one other person said they filled it out and it doesn't show her name on the bottom of the page like it did her husband. If you know who to contact about these errors, that would be great. Thanks so much for starting the petition... I know GUYUTES group really appreciates your help!

I used it not long ago and it worked fine for me.

soonerguru
04-08-2014, 11:40 PM
It worked for me tonight.

Mr. Cotter
04-09-2014, 07:06 AM
For anyone interested in coming to the next OKC planning commission meeting in support of Uptown 23rd/GUYUTES, the meeting will be held on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor. If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to show your support, please feel free to write a letter to Oklahoma City Planning Commission, stating your name and address. From my understanding the main concerns from some of the Mesta Park residents appears to be parking and noise. GUYUTES has secured additional parking and they are willing to put up signs directing their patrons to the specific parking area and additional signs reminding patrons not to park in the neighborhood behind the business.

You have to put up signs telling people not to park where it is perfectly legal to park? That's crazy.

Geographer
04-09-2014, 07:14 AM
You have to put up signs telling people not to park where it is perfectly legal to park? That's crazy.

Totally agree. People are just going to have to realize that the street is public. It's not their space. You live in an urban neighborhood next to a commercial corridor..I mean, it's pretty reasonable to assume that some people may be parking on the street in your neighborhood.

BoulderSooner
04-09-2014, 07:22 AM

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

I hope you didn't get more parking in response to the planning commission. Parking is not required and it is not even appropriate for them to discuss it during your hearing.

I wish you luck with this project

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2014, 10:01 AM

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Thanks in advance for your support!If I live in Edmond, will I be able to join?

PhiAlpha
04-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Totally agree. People are just going to have to realize that the street is public. It's not their space. You live in an urban neighborhood next to a commercial corridor..I mean, it's pretty reasonable to assume that some people may be parking on the street in your neighborhood.

I agree, the only development I wasn't crazy about due to parking was the concert venue next to the Tower. Partially because I'd rather the Tower be the concert venue, but mainly because it was a fairly large concert venue with next to 0 dedicated parking spots. Guyutes has made deals with surrounding property owners for additional parking and has some dedicated parking on it's lot. I think they've done more than enough to cover themselves. I'm sure the signs are just a formality so they can say...yeah, we tried... when they get complaints about people parking on 22nd.

PhiAlpha
04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
I hope you didn't get more parking in response to the planning commission. Parking is not required and it is not even appropriate for them to discuss it during your hearing.

I wish you luck with this project

From what I've seen on Nextdoor, most of the complaints have shifted now to operating hours and noise... again...stupid.

Pete
04-09-2014, 10:25 AM
There are existing laws regarding noise and if anyone violates them it's a simple matter of reporting and it will be addressed.

To put this all into perspective, there is really only one home anywhere near Guyutes, the one directly south. Keep in mind the rooftop patio will be at the far north end and shielded by the building structure and separated from the home by an alley, large tree, garage and backyard.

The homes on the west side of Shartel are in disrepair with the occupants parking in the front yard (a huge violation in itself).

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/development-buildings/5663d1386901537-guyutes-guyutes6.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/development-buildings/7342d1397060704-guyutes-guyutes.jpg

LAJJ
04-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Hey Everyone!
Pete started this petition that will hopefully help GUYUTES with their up-coming meeting with the OKC Planning Commission on April 24th. Would you please take the time to go to the link below and sign it? You can click on the link below, and it will take you directly to the petition. Please add your comment on the petition as well. Thanks in advance for signing and sharing with your friends...

Also if anyone would like to attend the next meeting, it would be a huge help to the owners of GUYUTES. For anyone interested in coming to the next OKC planning commission meeting in support of Uptown 23rd/GUYUTES, the meeting will be held on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor.

If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to show your support, please feel free to write a letter to Oklahoma City Planning Commission, stating your name and address. From my understanding the main concerns from some of the Mesta Park residents appears to be parking, noise, and hours of operation. GUYUTES has secured additional parking and they are willing to put up signs directing their patrons to the specific parking area and additional signs reminding patrons not to park in the neighborhood behind the business. Regarding the noise issue, GUYUTES is currently working with residents to re-assure them that they will abide by the city’s noise ordinance. About their hours of operation.... how can a local homeowners association have any say or input on what the hours of operation are for a local business?

For those willing to write a letter, please mail the letter to:

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Hey Everyone!
Pete started this petition that will hopefully help GUYUTES with their up-coming meeting with the OKC Planning Commission on April 24th. Would you please take the time to go to the link below and sign it? You can click on the link below, and it will take you directly to the petition. Please add your comment on the petition as well. Thanks in advance for signing and sharing with your friends...

Also if anyone would like to attend the next meeting, it would be a huge help to the owners of GUYUTES. For anyone interested in coming to the next OKC planning commission meeting in support of Uptown 23rd/GUYUTES, the meeting will be held on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. at the Oklahoma City Planning Commission, 200 N. Walker, Municipal Building, 3rd floor.

If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to show your support, please feel free to write a letter to Oklahoma City Planning Commission, stating your name and address. From my understanding the main concerns from some of the Mesta Park residents appears to be parking, noise, and hours of operation. GUYUTES has secured additional parking and they are willing to put up signs directing their patrons to the specific parking area and additional signs reminding patrons not to park in the neighborhood behind the business. Regarding the noise issue, GUYUTES is currently working with residents to re-assure them that they will abide by the city’s noise ordinance. About their hours of operation.... how can a local homeowners association have any say or input on what the hours of operation are for a local business?

For those willing to write a letter, please mail the letter to:

GUYUTES, LLC
3732 N. Shartel Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73118Thanx man! I live in Edmond, but will be attending. I gave it marked on my calendar and will be taking an hour off of work to come.

LAJJ
04-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanx man! I live in Edmond, but will be attending. I gave it marked on my calendar and will be taking an hour off of work to come.

Thanks for taking the time to go to the meeting. I hope you were able to sign the petition as well. I know the GUYUTES group will be appreciative as well...

Phisherman
04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
What are Mesta residents saying on nextdoor.com? I tried to get on and see but i guess you have to live in Mesta. Are they still upset with Guyutes or has it shifted to Daebak?

TheTonte
04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
What are Mesta residents saying on nextdoor.com? I tried to get on and see but i guess you have to live in Mesta. Are they still upset with Guyutes or has it shifted to Daebak?

9 out of 10 people who are commenting on the thread are in support of both developments. There are also at least 13 "Thanks" which I guess are the same as facebook "likes" on the thread.

PhiAlpha
04-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Now that some of us are speaking out in support of these developments, it seems to be backing down the opposition a little. Back when Guyutes was proposed, there weren't a ton of people on next door yet and the only information posted was about how and where to protest it. It appears that with more users came more proponents of development, several even live on 22nd.

LAJJ
04-16-2014, 09:42 PM
If anyone cannot make the OKC Planning Committee Meeting on Thursday, April 24th at 1:30 p.m. and would like to show support for GUYUTES, if it is easier, please feel free to send an email to guyutes23@gmail.com - If you send an email, please include your name and address and list why you are in support of Uptown 23rd Street and GUYUTES. Thanks so much! Also feel free to sign the petition that Pete set up for those wanting to support the development on N.W. 23rd Street UPTOWN area & GUYTUES. Again, here is the link for the petition: MoveOn Petitions - Support of Guyutes and Daebak K in OKC's Uptown District (http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/support-of-guyutes-and?source=c.em.cp&r_by=10327255) - Thanks!

catch22
04-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I am planning on being there in support.

Plutonic Panda
04-17-2014, 01:10 AM
I am planning on being there in support.Same here. I plan to start going to all of these honestly as much as I can to try and at least do my part to help the city succeed.