View Full Version : Energy Company advertisements

Teo9969
11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't get this.

CHK/SD/ENAB/DVN

There are so many of these ads during Thunder games…What is the purpose behind them spending the money on advertisements to a group of viewers who will never buy their products?

I understand an occasional ad, but anybody who matters knows who these companies are.

Pete
11-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I think it's mainly PR, as these companies are constantly dealing with issues around drilling, fracking, etc.

But Chesapeake sponsoring the arena makes absolutely zero sense. I wonder how many major-league arenas/stadiums have a sponsor that doesn't sell a product or service directly to the consumer?

onthestrip
11-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Well it began when Mclendon and ward were the CEOs at chk and SD and they spent a boatload of company money on Thunder advertising. And why would they choose the Thunder as place to spend marketing dollars? Oh ya, they are owners of the Thunder too...

Remember when Aubrey got backlash for when chk bought the naming rights? His share as a thunder owner from the proceeds of the arena naming rights was several hundred thousand a year. He announced he donated to okc public schools from the backlash he got about lining his own pockets with company money.

I imagine many of the ads are just a remainder from big spending days of ward and McClendon.

catch22
11-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Enable is getting big with their advertising....

bluedogok
11-10-2013, 08:16 PM
It can help when trying to get a land owner to sell a lease on their land, it might be easier to close a deal if you have a "known name" rather than a company that no one knows of. You also have B2B sales, bigger deals can be made in the wholesale market than retail market. That could be driving some of it.

Mel
11-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I think it's mainly PR, as these companies are constantly dealing with issues around drilling, fracking, etc.

But Chesapeake sponsoring the arena makes absolutely zero sense. I wonder how many major-league arenas/stadiums have a sponsor that doesn't sell a product or service directly to the consumer?

Still sounds better than the "Sleep Center". :D

ou48A
11-10-2013, 08:40 PM
How much of the advertising would be tax deductible?

Teo9969
11-10-2013, 10:10 PM
It can help when trying to get a land owner to sell a lease on their land, it might be easier to close a deal if you have a "known name" rather than a company that no one knows of. You also have B2B sales, bigger deals can be made in the wholesale market than retail market. That could be driving some of it.

That makes a bit of sense, and that's the answer I was kind of looking for.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think they should advertise…but the amount of advertisements they make seems to be overkill. Now a place like Midfirst…I get it…you're reaching many potential clients.

GoThunder
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
How much of the advertising would be tax deductible?

Advertising and marketing are business expenses so they are almost always deductible.

Bellaboo
11-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Enable is getting big with their advertising....

They are promoting themselves as if their 'HQ' is really going to be in OKC....

PhiAlpha
11-11-2013, 10:07 AM
They are promoting themselves as if their 'HQ' is really going to be in OKC....

Hasn't that been announced?

PhiAlpha
11-11-2013, 10:23 AM

I agree with the PR aspect. With all the negative perceptions of the oil and gas industry, any association with something people like is good. Most of these commercials tout all the good things CHK, Devon, and previously SD have done in the communities they're located in. That likely also is part of CHK's reason for buying the naming rights, but I'm sure it has more to do with wanting to support the team and put their name somewhere on a big national stage just to do it.

It can help when trying to get a land owner to sell a lease on their land, it might be easier to close a deal if you have a "known name" rather than a company that no one knows of. You also have B2B sales, bigger deals can be made in the wholesale market than retail market. That could be driving some of it

Also agree with this. People generally feel better about leasing to someone they've heard of, so any positive PR is good in that regard.

All of the commercials/naming rights/sponsorships/etc also help in corporate recruiting. Ex. "Hey come work for us! We're exciting, we sponsor the thunder and give away game tickets. We're also very active in the community."

Bellaboo
11-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Hasn't that been announced?

Not too sure if we've heard anything official.

Pete
11-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes, it's official that Enable's executive offices will be in OKC.

They didn't use the work "headquarters" but that's just a PR game. Executive offices = headquarters.

PhiAlpha
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Well it began when Mclendon and ward were the CEOs at chk and SD and they spent a boatload of company money on Thunder advertising. And why would they choose the Thunder as place to spend marketing dollars? Oh ya, they are owners of the Thunder too...

Remember when Aubrey got backlash for when chk bought the naming rights? His share as a thunder owner from the proceeds of the arena naming rights was several hundred thousand a year. He announced he donated to okc public schools from the backlash he got about lining his own pockets with company money.

I imagine many of the ads are just a remainder from big spending days of ward and McClendon.

Then how do you explain Devon, Enogex/Enable, and OneOK blasting us with commercials during Thunder games for the last 5 years?

Also, SD doesn't advertise anymore from what I've seen so far, they pulled their sponsorship of the Thunder.

In addition to these companies advertising during Thunder games, Continental has billboards up all over town and I've seen advertisements for several Majors as well as CHK on other channels.