View Full Version : What a mess.

kukblue1
10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Moved to OKC about 2 years ago now. I must say I have never seen anything worse in my entire life then the mess that is 3rd st, reno, i-40, MacArthur. I mean really who came up with this. Traffic gets back up past reno. I figured I would be safe going around 1pm in the afternoon. Nope. Are they going to fix this problem or just leave it?

tomokc
10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
You're describing a two-block section of MacArthur between Reno & I-40 that is usually congested that time of day. Have you seen where Penn or May intersect the JKT?

kukblue1
10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I understand congestion what I don't understand is how you can have like 3 stop lights in a 2 block section.

MustangGT
10-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I understand congestion what I don't understand is how you can have like 3 stop lights in a 2 block section.

Mandatory traffic control. Most drivers in every big city tend toward the shallow aka stupid end of the gene pool.

warreng88
10-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Moved to OKC about 2 years ago now. I must say I have never seen anything worse in my entire life then the mess that is 3rd st, reno, i-40, MacArthur. I mean really who came up with this. Traffic gets back up past reno. I figured I would be safe going around 1pm in the afternoon. Nope. Are they going to fix this problem or just leave it?

I would guess the problem you are talking about would be fixed by timing the lights better. I know exactly the intersection you are talking about and it is frustrating especially when you get a bunch of impatient people trying to cut off other cars so they don't have to wait. One of the issues over there is there is such a large amount of fast food restaurants and with a Wal-Mart over there, you are going to get people who are in a rush and that doesn't bode well for a poorly planned intersection. We go to the Panera Bread over there about twice a month but always take the Rockwell exit since it is less crowded.

RadicalModerate
10-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Obviously, you haven't been to The Blooming Cusp o' The Blossoming Retail Paradise at Penn and Memorial (plus a mile or two north and south)(a.k.a. The Intersection From Hell). Therefore, your complaint (about the hinterlands over on MacArthur and Whatever somewheres has no merit. =)

So . . . (off the particular intersection, but on topic) Why don't "THEY" allow a double left turn on westbound memorial at meridian at least during morning rush hour? Are signs and a little pavement paint that expensive? On the other hand, maybe "THEY" have taken into account that the "non-yielding" "Free"way/Turnpike exiters could create a problem by rear-ending more than one lane of stationary traffic. On account of my design, both the left and the center lane could be waiting for the light. So they could be right.

(there's a Panera Bread in the vicinity--on the north . . . plus a hospital to the south . . . so I just don't understand this particular "Klusterfukke".)

Bellaboo
10-22-2013, 04:14 PM

There are 2 Solutions -

1) Exit on Meridian
2) Exit on Rockwell

That's what I do if I'm in the area.