View Full Version : Tornado affecting Moores Population?

Jesseda
10-07-2013, 06:43 AM
I know Moore was growing quickly but does anyone know the percentage of people rebuilding or staying in Moore. I rebought in Moore on the other side of town which is quiet compared to Plaza towers and all the businesses located right outside the neighborhood but we enjoy our new area and my children love their new elementary school. I wanted to stay in Moore because we love this town so much but I know of a lot including my next door neighbors who decided to move or rebuild in other towns. My next door neighbor is rebuilding in Blanchard along with about 6 other families from Moore who decided to build in Blanchard. On my old street my lot including two others was bought up by realtors and a hand full of others are still for sale on my old street and the street that was behind my house. I know Moore will get back to the population it once had but I am curious of how many decided to stay in Moore, some of these houses you see being built are people who sold their lot and home builders and or realtors are building to resale.

Zuplar
10-07-2013, 07:27 AM
It'll rebound. Some people get scared and think moving will help their chances of avoiding tornado's in the future. Others may have already been debating about moving and just decided it was good timing to do so.

Snowman
10-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I know Moore was growing quickly but does anyone know the percentage of people rebuilding or staying in Moore. I rebought in Moore on the other side of town which is quiet compared to Plaza towers and all the businesses located right outside the neighborhood but we enjoy our new area and my children love their new elementary school. I wanted to stay in Moore because we love this town so much but I know of a lot including my next door neighbors who decided to move or rebuild in other towns. My next door neighbor is rebuilding in Blanchard along with about 6 other families from Moore who decided to build in Blanchard. On my old street my lot including two others was bought up by realtors and a hand full of others are still for sale on my old street and the street that was behind my house. I know Moore will get back to the population it once had but I am curious of how many decided to stay in Moore, some of these houses you see being built are people who sold their lot and home builders and or realtors are building to resale.

I am pretty sure the same thing happened during the previous major storm

SoonerDave
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I have an acquaintance in the Moore school district that relayed to me they had a net increase in actual student population over last year, so go figure. Won't pretend to explain the dynamics of it, but there it is.

Jesseda
10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I have an acquaintance in the Moore school district that relayed to me they had a net increase in actual student population over last year, so go figure. Won't pretend to explain the dynamics of it, but there it is.

I know the start of the school year my youngest was going to be bused to Apple Creek or Kelly because Winding Creek had a lot of new students and not enough teachers, thankfully they hired another teacher for his grade and he didn't have to be bussed, also Moore Christian school closed so that probably added another 60 or so students to the moore public school list unless all of them went to another private school

SOONER8693
10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Straight from the mouths of 2 board members and several at the admin level, the Moore district was up by about 750 students to start this school year over last year. Hard to believe with all that happened.

jn1780
10-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Most parents probably kept their children enrolled in Moore School District since they know their going to rebuild and I bet their were at least as many homes being built in other areas of Moore as there were homes destroyed.

Easy180
10-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Haven't heard from anyone yet who isn't staying put in Moore...Now they are staying put with freshly installed shelters but they are staying nonetheless

Snowman
10-07-2013, 07:12 PM

It probably just means there is a statistically higher percentage of people who relocated out of Moore either did not have children or their children had already graduated, which makes sense as they would be the more flexible in relocating quickly to another city.

Jesseda
10-08-2013, 06:23 AM
It probably just means there is a statistically higher percentage of people who relocated out of Moore either did not have children or their children had already graduated, which makes sense as they would be the more flexible in relocating quickly to another city.

My next door neighbors children are grown up the youngest finished high school last year, and the other neighbor was retired. My neighbor who is building in Blanchard was the one who told me others are building out there that came from Moore. I know some of my childrens friends are going to school in Moore but they are currently living in norman, and okc but they can use the address that they had listed before the storm. One of my friends just moved back to her apartment here in Moore last week, she commuted all the way from her parents house in slaughtersville (didn't spell it right probably) to drop her daughter off at school then off to work in okc ea day. So hopefully a lot of people are slowly coming back but like I mentioned I know of a couple on my old street alone that are not, but those are older adults that the kids have left the nest

Jesseda
10-08-2013, 06:32 AM
I noticed two new neighborhood areas going up off eastern between N.E 19th and around N.E 24th area one of them called Brentwood and other new neighborhood that is going in on the east side of eastern up against the easthills neighborhood but no name posted yet they just started. I wonder once eastern is finished with its road project if that will be the next developed area 27th eastern to the okc line, surprised a gas station hasn't tried setting up in that corner yet ( the NW corner of 27th and eastern) great spot for a oncue.

bille
10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
I think a high percentage of people that aren't rebuilding purchased homes on the market in the Moore area. Just my theory though. Before the tornado we had 6 or 7 homes on the market in our area, all are sold (many a month or so afterwards). My understanding is that four or five of those were purchased by tornado victims.

Jesseda
10-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I think a high percentage of people that aren't rebuilding purchased homes on the market in the Moore area. Just my theory though. Before the tornado we had 6 or 7 homes on the market in our area, all are sold (many a month or so afterwards). My understanding is that four or five of those were purchased by tornado victims.

that's what we did, we didn't want to rebuild but we wanted to stay in Moore, we bought our home back in early July, I guess then a lot of others might have done the same?