View Full Version : 315 White Street

Pages : [1] 2

Geographer
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
$1 mil construction permit was pulled last week. Speculations?

HangryHippo
10-01-2013, 01:21 PM
$1 mil construction permit was pulled last week. Speculations?

Is this the old Toto's space?

Geographer
10-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Yes I believe it is

BG918
10-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe another Elliot Nelson (McNellies) concept?

HangryHippo
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe another Elliot Nelson (McNellies) concept?

Have you heard this was even a possibility? Someone listed who owns the lot now, but I can't find the post...

Pete
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
The building permit was filed by an LLC that shares the same address with Top of the World; a Norman company that manufactures athletic caps.

I bet this will be a store for them:

TOP OF THE WORLD (http://www.towcaps.com)

Geographer
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
The building permit was filed by an LLC that shares the same address with Top of the World; a Norman company that manufactures athletic caps.

I bet this will be a store for them:

TOP OF THE WORLD (http://www.towcaps.com)

that sucks...the last thing we need on campus corner is MORE sports apparel. yawn.

Pete
10-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Just learned that same group owns Benvenuti's in downtown Norman, so it may be tied into that as well.

I have the OKCTalk mole network on this and should know more after this weekend. :)

Benvenuiti's Ristorante (http://www.benvenutisristorante.com/)

Geographer
10-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Just learned that same group owns Benvenuti's in downtown Norman, so it may be tied into that as well.

I have the OKCTalk mole network on this and should know more after this weekend. :)

Benvenuiti's Ristorante (http://www.benvenutisristorante.com/)

I suppose that's alright...Bevenuiti's is good, extremely overpriced, but good.

I, for one, would love to see a BBQ joint on campus corner.

Also, I believe this building will be 3 stories with office space as well...

Pete
10-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Iron Starr tried Campus Corner and didn't last, a very rare miss for A Good Egg Group. Keith Paul said that CC is a very difficult animal for restaurateurs.

Benvenuti's is owned by Peter Wilson, who also owns Top of the World. Brown is married to Hal Smith's niece.

Benvenuti's must be doing something right as they have been operating for seven years now.

Geographer
10-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Iron Starr tried Campus Corner and didn't last, a very rare miss for A Good Egg Group. Keith Paul said that CC is a very difficult animal for restaurateurs.

Benvenuti's is owned by Peter Wilson, who also owns Top of the World. Brown is married to Hal Smith's niece.

Benvenuti's must be doing something right as they have been operating for seven years now.

Yeah, it's definitely the most expensive and "fanciest" restaurant in Norman...so I suppose that's why it's still in business.

ChargerAg
10-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Does 1 million seem excessive to anybody else for such a little space? Is it going to be multiple stories? I can't imagine how much much they would have to make on that space to pay off that loan. Also that doesn't cover the cost of what they payed to demo the place.

Spartan
10-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Iron Starr was horribly ran at that location and AGE has never righted many wrongs I encountered there

BG918
10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
In The Raw (which is now closed) also had service/management issues that the ones in OKC and Tulsa didn't have. There is that small sushi place on Asp but I think CC could support a larger, more bar-oriented sushi/Japanese place if it was the right concept. An offshoot of Sushi Neko would be pretty cool, or something like Musashi's.

dankrutka
10-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Why was this building torn down without plans for rebuilding immediately? It looks terrible. From a couple weeks ago:

HangryHippo
10-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Iron Starr was horribly ran at that location and AGE has never righted many wrongs I encountered there

Can you elaborate on what wrongs you encountered?

HangryHippo
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I suppose that's alright...Bevenuiti's is good, extremely overpriced, but good.

I, for one, would love to see a BBQ joint on campus corner.

Also, I believe this building will be 3 stories with office space as well...

Where did you hear that it will be 3 stories?

Geographer
10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
"Commercial New Construction

315 White St. CAMC LLC 3-story restaurant and office building $1,000,000"

This is the description of the permit on this article: building permits » Business » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/business-beat/x934949592/building-permits)

BoulderSooner
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah, it's definitely the most expensive and "fanciest" restaurant in Norman...so I suppose that's why it's still in business.

or because it is the best Italian in the metro

Geographer
10-02-2013, 09:28 AM
or because it is the best Italian in the metro

no way haha. Have you tried Segio's? It's literally right across the train tracks from Benvenuti's...it's way more authentic and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

ChargerAg
10-02-2013, 09:30 AM
"Commercial New Construction

315 White St. CAMC LLC 3-story restaurant and office building $1,000,000"

This is the description of the permit on this article: building permits » Business » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/business-beat/x934949592/building-permits)

3 stories seems like it will look a bit weird next to all those 1 story buildings. Also I wonder how the additional floor space will effect parking in the area. I have often wondered why the city doesn't build a small parking garage in the area.

Geographer
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
3 stories seems like it will look a bit weird next to all those 1 story buildings. Also I wonder how the additional floor space will effect parking in the area. I have often wondered why the city doesn't build a small parking garage in the area.

There's already so much parking around campus corner. There's a huge lot on the west side of University behind D-Bo's house that's open to the public at night. There's also ample street parking surrounding campus corner. Parking wouldn't be an issue IMO.

Three stories will look fine, just on the next block west you have that set of buildings that are two stories...you also have the church catty corner to this block that's two-three stories. IMO, every new building on campus corner should be no shorter than 2-3 buildings. The environment of campus corner screams for buildings taller than 1-2 stories.

Pete
10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I learned a pizza place is going in this spot -- slightly upscale.

venture
10-11-2013, 04:52 PM
If it isn't Giordano's, it doesn't belong. :-P

Geographer
10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
another pizza place!? dang it. oh well

shavethewhales
10-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Meh. As a current OU student, I am continually amazed that no one seems to want open a cheaper establishment on campus corner for those of us who don't want to spend $8-10 on lunch. I often get food from the gas station because I don't want to spend that much on lunch. There are a couple of options such as Chic-fil-a, but it's extremely busy. A taco bell within walking distance from campus corner would probably put everyone out of business.

Mel
10-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Does Norman have an Upper Crust?

kevinpate
10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Does Norman have an Upper Crust?

No.

ou48A
10-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Meh. As a current OU student, I am continually amazed that no one seems to want open a cheaper establishment on campus corner for those of us who don't want to spend $8-10 on lunch. I often get food from the gas station because I don't want to spend that much on lunch. There are a couple of options such as Chic-fil-a, but it's extremely busy. A taco bell within walking distance from campus corner would probably put everyone out of business.

You would probably need to talk to the man who owns and basically controls most of the Campus Corner area for an answerer.
He probably doesn’t want to "put everyone out of business”?

Jersey Boss
10-14-2013, 03:46 PM

DIAMOND DAWGS, on Asp. There is also a SUBWAY. You can get lunch there for 5 bucks.

dankrutka
10-14-2013, 08:00 PM
You clearly have not even looked around Campus Corner. In addition to the two other places mentioned, Fuzzy's has a huge breakfast sandwich for $3 called "The Big Fuzz." There are definitely cheap options on Campus Corner.

Soonerman
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Fuzzy's is awesome.

kevinpate
10-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Add in the small portion at the greek house for cheap eats.
(not that I've ever ordered the small portion myself, but several friends did and felt it was too much for them. Luckily, I was often present to save them from temptation.)
Haven't been this fall. Hope it remains open and the new owners are treating it well.

Jeepnokc
10-15-2013, 12:45 PM
(not that I've ever ordered the small portion myself,.

<----like---->

ChargerAg
10-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Any ideas on when they will start construction on this?

ChargerAg
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
went by this location this weekend. Still no movement. There doesn't seem to be much rush to get this built.

ChargerAg
01-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Went by again tonight and still no activity. How long does one have to build after a permit is filed?

I think it has now been over a year since the toto's building was torn down.

ChargerAg
07-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Went by the site tonight and looks like they started working on this site this week. It will be really interesting to see what this new building look like at this location.

Also interesting is the convince store across from this site has closed and they are putting in what looks to be a smoking supply store.

shavethewhales
07-14-2014, 06:57 AM
I never thought I'd say this, but I miss that convenience store. I never even went in there, but it was definitely more beneficial to campus corner than a seedy vape store. That new place really brings the whole area down... maybe it will look better when they're done with whatever renovations they're doing, but at the moment it looks like some drifters just wandered in and setup shop.

Farther down the street, one of the old antique/vintage/craft stores is being converted into a "lounge".

ChargerAg
09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Looks like the steel work is topped off on this structure. It looks to be about 3.5 stories. I am guessing the top 1/2 is to hide a AC or elevator shaft. The new building really looks huge next to all the other building but am hoping that this is the beginning of something new for this area.

HangryHippo
09-04-2014, 04:06 PM
I got a picture of the steel work. I'll try to post it later.

positano
09-06-2014, 09:19 AM
It's actually going to be gourmet, wood-fired pizza, plus more. The concept is really being driven by Anthony Compagni, the chef and one of the owners of Benvenuti's. Plans are to have a rooftop terrace.

ChargerAg
09-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Went by again and I was wrong. The building is at least 4 stories and really stands out.

soonerfan_in_okc
09-07-2014, 10:23 AM

BG918
09-07-2014, 01:28 PM
A rooftop terrace there will be awesome, great views of campus. It definitely stands out, now they need to tear down and redevelop the building at Asp & White. That is prime property for residential with retail along White and Asp.

OUman
09-07-2014, 08:21 PM
The Norman Transcript (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/article_1a9a81c8-3446-11e4-9e71-001a4bcf887a.html)

It is indeed a new authentic Neapolitan-style pizza restaurant. The wood-fire oven was made in Italy and flown in. Pretty cool. The building will apparently be four stories, with a rooftop bar and dining area.

As for cheap options on Campus Corner in addition to the ones already mentioned: Which Wich, New York Pizza and Pasta (lunch special for around 5 or 6 bucks on weekdays), T.E.A. Cafe, Pickleman's Cafe, Jimmy John's Subs, The Pita Pit. Plus the Greek House has some good options (lot of food at good value).

dankrutka
09-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Good to see this space being filled. It has made me sick seeing the an empty space in the urban fabric of what may be Oklahoma's best urban area.

BG918
09-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Good to see this space being filled. It has made me sick seeing the an empty space in the urban fabric of what may be Oklahoma's best urban area.

I don't know if I 'd go that far. Campus Corner is a nice walkable area with a lot of unique stores and restaurants but for it be great (IMO) it needs to expand to the west along University and further north along Buchanan and Asp, as well as add more housing and keep new chain restaurants and retail to a minimum compared to locally owned businesses. It certainly has a lot of potential and infill projects like these are a step in that direction. The biggest hole is still the parking lot across the street by Chimy's. Fill that in and that really completes the street along Asp and White.

HangryHippo
09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have a rendering of what the final design of this building looks like?

Pete
09-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Holy heck, this thing looks like a skyscraper (from https://twitter.com/fowwow):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxSX5yYCQAAJ5ca.jpg

Jake
09-11-2014, 05:32 PM
I noticed it for the first time last week and thought, "What the heck is that?!"

UrbanNorman
10-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Are there any renderings of this anywhere? I saw Aztec Construction had a sign up top, and I went to their website but nothing. As for their other projects, they were extremely suburban in design pretty much across the board. To say this frightens me is an understatement...

Pete
12-11-2014, 11:38 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZUF1Nvy83CI/VBMYG8ucIjI/AAAAAAAAAF4/XXbKScrMjEM/w368-h397-no/elev%2B1-16-13.jpg

Pete
12-11-2014, 11:39 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oY-wzpFNiMY/VBMQIjXsDZI/AAAAAAAAAFI/TWruExR1fkw/w298-h397-no/IMG_20140911_162558.jpg

sooner88
12-11-2014, 12:19 PM
How tall is the building that Victoria's is in? This seems really out of place for Campus Corner.

BG918
12-11-2014, 12:56 PM
How tall is the building that Victoria's is in? This seems really out of place for Campus Corner.

It looks almost twice the height. I think it's great to see taller developments and hope this leads to more in that area. What is the zoning max height in Campus Corner?

s00nr1
12-11-2014, 02:40 PM
That rooftop is going to have an amazing (!!) view of campus.

HangryHippo
12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Is orange-ish exterior in the rendering going to be brick or something else?

kevinpate
12-11-2014, 05:43 PM

It will be taller than the rest of the existing campus corner structures. Indeed, once completed and someone is at the upper level bar, it is fair to say they'll be a few floors and eyes and ears and mouth and noise, head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes above it all.

tfvc.org
12-11-2014, 08:40 PM
I think it will be cool to sit on the top and see the view as well. One of my favorite places to eat in Norman was The Vista just for the view. If Vast wasn't so expensive I would eat there more often just for the view.