View Full Version : Visitors in from out of town

warreng88
09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
When you have visitors in from out of town who have never been here before, where are the top ten or so places you take them?

(1) Bricktown and the (2) Myriad Gardens are my first few favorites and the most obvious for out of towners. Then the (3) Plaza District since it is close to our house and my wife works down there. Then we show them the (4) Midtown area, but explain everything yet to come. (5) Deep Deuce is so under construction, that is another area we approach like Midtown. The (6) Classen Curve, Chesapeake area is another place we like to show off, especially in the winter when the christmas lights are up. The (7) Oklahoma River is a must and people are floored that we have something like that in this area of the country. The (8) OUHSC area is very overwhelming to a lot of people I know because they can't fathom that all of that is connected. I have never been a huge fan or maybe I can't really appreciate the Cowboy Hall of Fame so we usually skip that one.

Other ones I am leaving out?

kevinpate
09-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Would encourage you to reconsider the Hall of Fame. Add in the zoo as well.

warreng88
09-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Would encourage you to reconsider the Hall of Fame. Add in the zoo as well.

It's funny, I have lived in OKC for 15 years and I have never been to the zoo. I have friends who live in Tulsa and they come in at least twice a year to go to the zoo. I told them the next time they go, we are going with them.

It is hard for me to want to just go to the CHOF on my own, it has to be to take someone else and that hasn't happened significantly in a while.

warreng88
09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Here's my list. Deep Deuce is easy to get in and out of. I hope you'll consider it.

Attractions:
1) Bombing Memorial
2) 45th Infantry Museum
3) Boathouse District (water and rope sports)

Restaurants:
4) Urban Roots
5) Wedge Pizza
6) The Mantel
7) Yucatan

Bars/Pubs:
8) Skinny Slim's
9) Captain Norm's

Nightlife:
10) Club One15

I wasn't saying DD was bad or even hard to get in and out of, it is just there is so much going on with the Metropolitan nearby, the Phase II of Maywood Park Apts, Level East, Mosaic, etc that I have to explain everything that is going up in the next two years or so for them to understand why I am so excited about it. Midtown is kind of the same way.

Teo9969
09-17-2013, 01:01 PM
If someone had never been to OKC before, I would take them on a driving tour. I'd probably start at PSM/Belle Isle drive them over to Classen Curve/CHK drive down Western to 23rd over to Walker, south to 10th, over to Broadway, down to 4th, over to Oklahoma, down to 2nd over to Walnut down to Sheridan over to EKG down to Reno and then up on Hudson west on Sheridan up Walker east on RSKerr then take Robinson north all the way to 10th then take 10th/Classen Drive to 13th, 13th up to the Plaza and then come out on Penn go up to OCU and call it a tour.

From there, I'd tell them about a variety of things to do outside of this core area like Cowboy HoF, QSM, OK River, Outlet Mall, Paseo, etc. Whatever they decided looked/sounded most interesting to actually spend time at is where we would go from there.

Part of it would really depend on the person I was talking to. If this is a real outdoors type person, no way I skip the River. If they're a foodie, I would adjust my routes to include all the different great places to eat in OKC. etc.

Jeepnokc
09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Lots of good suggestions on here so far but I'll add a few because it depends on what guests interests are. Stockyards and Cattleman's for a taste of Oklahoma's cattle history. Heritage Hills around 14th -16th street to show the old oil money houses, the Capital and the new Supreme Court building with all of it's artwork, Deep Deuce and explain the history of the area including the Luster Mansion and the churches. For nice dinner...I usually take my guests to Red Prime as it is excellent and contemporary. If kids....the Science Museum and a trip to Soda Pops or take in a Redhawks game. Paseo is very cool if they like funky areas, great art and cool shops like Craigs (even though I think the no cell phone sign on the door is a bit much...what if I want to call my wife to see if she is interested in something I may be looking at). If they like cigars and whiskey....WSKY for drink and puff.

kevinpate
09-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Nice lists.

foodiefan
09-17-2013, 04:04 PM
. . . would encourage you to add the Oklahoma City Museum of Art to the list. One of the largest collections of Chihuly glass in the world, wonderful permanent collection and amazing special exhibitions (current is "Heaven to Earth - 500 years of Italian Painting from the Glasgow Museums), terrific restaurant (love their Sunday Brunch) and had to find a better outdoor view of the City than Thursday evening "Cocktails on the Skyline". Great film program as well. At the very, very, very least, it deserves a "drive-by" at night to see the 3 story Chihuly Tower. . .breathtaking!! And, depending on how broad their horizons might be . .drive by The Womb!!

Teo9969
09-17-2013, 04:06 PM
. . . would encourage you to add the Oklahoma City Museum of Art to the list. One of the largest collections of Chihuly glass in the world, wonderful permanent collection and amazing special exhibitions (current is "Heaven to Earth - 500 years of Italian Painting from the Glasgow Museums), terrific restaurant (love their Sunday Brunch) and had to find a better outdoor view of the City than Thursday evening "Cocktails on the Skyline". Great film program as well. At the very, very, very least, it deserves a "drive-by" at night to see the 3 story Chihuly Tower. . .breathtaking!! And, depending on how broad their horizons might be . .drive by The Womb!!

...hopefully not too broad...

[/reallydirtyjoke]

foodiefan
09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
...hopefully not too broad...

[/reallydirtyjoke]

:beaten_fi.. . lol

bchris02
09-18-2013, 05:50 PM
When my friend from North Carolina came to OKC, we spent most of the time in Bricktown and went to the zoo. We were going to do the Paseo the last night but didn't end up making it. I would say today, if you want to show people the best OKC has to offer, Bricktown should be your focal point, with maybe a tour of Auto Alley and a trip to the museum of art. The Paseo is also a must. In a year or two I would add Midtown to that list. Like a poster above said though, it mostly depends on what they are into.

When my parents visit, we pretty much stick to Memorial or the outlet mall. They are terrified of downtown areas having grown up in the '80s and haven't moved on.

rlewis
09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
One place that my out-of-town visitors seem to enjoy is the Pops restaurant in Arcadia (and we usually go over to the Round Barn up the street afterwards). A lot of them have an admiration for all things Route 66, and even the adults like selecting different sodas from their huge collection.