Pages : [1] 2

metro
01-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Address: 4308 N. Western
Phone: (405) 525-6682
Hours:
Development:
Links:
Official Website (http://www.barrelokc.com/)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/thebarrelokc)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/barrelwiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Formerly Cafe Nova.
Operated by the Deep Fork Group.
Gallery

escan
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I've eaten there, but not the cocoa beef. I had the sesame salmon....pretty good, entirely encrusted w/ sesame seeds, BUT, as always here, the salmon filet wasn't too tasty.

keving
01-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I have ate there but have not tried the cocoa beef. How was it?

I did try the quail and chicken tortilla soup. I found out I'm not much of a quail fan but the soup was really good.

metro
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
just curious, i haven't eaten here yet but want to make a stop sometime, just wanted some reviews about the place, in particular the cocoa beef

keving
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I went there with some coworkers for lunch. Two had the quiche, 1 had curried beef and I had the quail. I sampled some of the quiche, it was good. The guy that had the curried beef said it was really good too.

Our waiter said that the food is organic and also locally grown if they can get it locally.

metro
01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I went this past weekend with my girlfriend. I have to admit, I wasn't wanting to like this place as much as other high end restaurants because it is a.) John Paul's and b.) not downtown. The atmosphere was excellent. Similar to Nonna's but a more urban, edgy feel yet classy. There was a Versace fashion show playing on the flat screen televisions, and the staff's "uniforms" are done by Spencer Stone Co.

Well, to my disappointment but surprise, the atmosphere and food was probably the best in the metro area I have ever tasted. We started off with the home-cut fries with mango basil ketchup and mustard aeoli. Divine! The fries were excellent on their own and I believe dusted with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. The dipping sauces provided a unique, yet exquisite compliment.

We then got a gift from the chef. I forget the name but it was a whole roasted garlic with an onion relish and some bruchetta. Another excellent surprise.

I then got some roasted red pepper and chicken soup. It was great, but not the best I had. Not enough distinct taste of red pepper or anything. For the main course, we split the cocoa beef. This was amazing, the best steak I have ever had and I eat a lot of steak. Juicy, tender, and super flavorful, unlike anything you've ever had. It was drizzled with a raspberry sauce as well. I know what your thinking, a chocolate raspberry steak?? For one, I love trying new things but, I like savory things, not so much sweet things. This steak was not at all sweet but just enough hint to make it delicious. I'm guessing it was marinated in mole' or cocoa powder, thus the more savory flavor and less sweet like chocolate. It was paired with some figs that were in some kind of a reduction. These were absolutely amazing! It also came with some grilled asparagus. It was okay, didn't do anything for me but my girlfriend loved it. I thought it needed more flavor.

For dessert we got the raspberry sorbet. It was shaped like a rose and the bottom of it was encrusted in some sort of nuts and fresh mint. It was okay but nothing spectacular. Again my girlfriend loved it. All in all I give this place a 10 on scale of 10. We got out for around $50 bucks for a 5 course meal and one drink, (split the main course and dessert).

For more info go check it out or go to www.cafenovaokc.com

escan
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Metro-

Me too! I kind of boycotted the place because of the whole JP/reality show factor, but ended up liking it. I, on the other hand, love the fact that it's in the Western corridor, but I'm biased because I live there!

Midtowner
02-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Metro, I must agree, I ate there last night. A+ to the atmosphere. I could have sworn I was eating at a swank big-city restaurant. Their beer selection included some of my personal favorites.

I also ordered the cocoa beef, and it was everything I expected. Excellent. Others at my table ordered the chicken and tilapia, both looked good.

bandnerd
02-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I've wanted to go there for awhile. No one seems to want to go with me, though.

sweetdaisy
02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I ate there last week and was extremely impressed! Everything about it was excellent! Unfortunately, I did not try the cocoa beef, but I had one of the specials, a salmon layered with filo dough and rice. It was spectacular. Leftovers even reheated well.

Urban Pioneer
02-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Don't worry about JP. He owns a very small precentage of it.

Larry OKC
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
http://newsok.com/grand-jury-indicts-oklahoma-city-restaurant-owner/article/3685931

The state grand jury has indicted the owner of the upscale Oklahoma City restaurant where a victory party was thrown in 2006 for Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater, The Oklahoman has been told.
Wade Starr, 41, is set to make his first court appearance on the three-count criminal charge Wednesday morning. ...

Teo9969
06-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Not surprising in the least. Very little of what I have heard about the guy is good. For those who don't know, he's also a major owner and the proprietor of of the now nationally infamous Deep Fork Grill (Thank you Aubrey...)

MustangGT
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
It could not happen to a more deserving fella. I am no ardent supoort of the sitting DA but this guy is beyond the curtain and is getting his just desserts.

RadicalModerate
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Never had a bad meal at the Deep Fork. Even the complimentary appetizers were good.
But if you want excellence in Catering, there's a place up there in Baxter Springs, Kansas on Old Route 66 that can't be beat. It's called, "The Cafe on The Route."

I'm sure that some mileage charges would have to be added, but . . .

(Seriously, soonermike81, that was an excellent and probably very accurate accounting of a real life experience with this current celebrity that may have something to do with why he found himself involved in this news event. thank you.)

OKCretro
09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Anyone know what's going in its place?

Did John Paul still own it?

Paseofreak
09-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Saw somewhere (maybe Drum Room thread) that it would be shut down and changed to a more casual concept.

Mantison
09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I have heard it will be a "pub" style place, a la McNelly's with a big bar along one wall.

Pete
09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes, they tweeted on Aug. 19th they had closed for renovations.

Will be interesting to see the changes they have in store.

OKC_Chipper
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I have heard it will be a "pub" style place, a la McNelly's with a big bar along one wall.

This is what I've heard as well, Crown Heights Pub is what I believe the new name is going to be.

betts
09-05-2013, 08:20 AM
That's kind of dull. Wish they'd play off the name of a British up like Rosé and Crown. That one is a bit cheesy, but something catchy. My favorite pub name is The Dirty Duck in Stratford upon Avon, supposedly name after the black swans that swim on the Avon.

RadicalModerate
09-05-2013, 10:40 AM
I dunno . . . "Crown" in the name of the place has "British" written all over it.
How about The Royal Crown Heights Public House Beveragitorium and Feed Bucket?
(or is that too "formal" as compared to "more casual" . . .)

Hey! Maybe they could add a Dairy Queen franchise to the mix and EVERYBODY would be happy!

Mel
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
A White Castle would be nice too.

CaptDave
09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
I dunno . . . "Crown" in the name of the place has "British" written all over it.
How about The Royal Crown Heights Public House Beveragitorium and Feed Bucket?
(or is that too "formal" as compared to "more casual" . . .)

No because then the place would be overrun by people looking for an RC (pronounced ar-ruh see) cola and a moon pie.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Actually, that thought did cross my mind . . .
Simple solution: Have some sort of designer "grog" on ye olde menu featuring Royal Crown cola and . . . oh, i dunno . . . ten year old scotch and Guinness or Watney's Red Barrel or sumpin'. With an organic sprig of mint. They could even throw some peanuts into the mix for the traditionalistas.

"Wot's me favorite soft drink?
I don't always drink soda . . . but when I do, I prefers ArrrrSea Cola."
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/0937544b1f0bde49a91e6b00/anatomy-of-a-pirate.jpg
"At me favorite little pub in Crown Heights."

Urban Pioneer
09-06-2013, 07:17 AM
lol

onthestrip
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Was told that this will be reopening pretty soon as some kind of nice bar and restaurant, with a lean towards a whiskey bar. The bartender at the Drum Room (same operators as Nova and this new place) said it was maybe going to be called The Barrel.

Roger S
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Barrel - Inner City Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1817120/restaurant/Inner-City-Northside/Barrel-Oklahoma-City)

Teo9969
03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
So OKC is going all in on this whiskey driven bar thing. It would be preferable, to me, if they described themselves as something other than a whiskey bar, and maybe focus on more variety of upscale cocktails. Ludivine is *kind of* like that, but its perception is different because of it being a restaurant.

Teo9969
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Barrel - Inner City Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1817120/restaurant/Inner-City-Northside/Barrel-Oklahoma-City)

That link says "wine Bar" which obviously we don't know at this current juncture.

It would be welcome to see an emphasis on both wine and whiskey. The city has made good strides in understanding wine, but there is still a lot of improvement to be made.

bchris02
03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
With a name like the Barrel, I would think it would probably be more of a whiskey bar than a wine bar but I don't know. Not to derail this thread, but what are the best wine bars in OKC?

tomokc
03-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Barrel OKC - Home (http://www.barrelokc.com/)

Wine - Whiskey - Beer
Pub-Fusion Cuisine

They're using Cafe Nova's phone number.

Teo9969
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM
With a name like the Barrel, I would think it would probably be more of a whiskey bar than a wine bar but I don't know. Not to derail this thread, but what are the best wine bars in OKC?

The Metro
Bin 73
Peloton (bottle prices are stupid cheap for a restaurant)
Stella
Upscale Steakhouses (Ranch, Red Prime, Mahogany, etc)
Ludivine
Mantel
Roccoco

Also…Barrels are just as important in wine as they are in whiskey, if not more important.

John Knight
03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
The Barrel is installing their signage today.

soonerguru
03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Heard initially this was going to be a Spanish tapas place. Guess not. Kinda bummed they've moved in another direction.

bradh
03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Heard initially this was going to be a Spanish tapas place. Guess not. Kinda bummed they've moved in another direction.

bourbon > Spanish tapas

Chadanth
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
bourbon > Spanish tapas

+1,000,000

ljbab728
03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
They could serve Spanish tapas soaked in bourbon. :)

OKCTalker
03-24-2014, 02:57 PM
...on toothpicks.

soonerguru
03-24-2014, 10:23 PM
bourbon > Spanish tapas

No.

kevinpate
03-25-2014, 12:22 AM
No.

I can only surmise good sir, that you sip the wrong bourbon.

JarrodH
03-28-2014, 10:22 AM
I think the concept is cool and the area is great but I really wish they had spent more time and money on branding. Their logo on social media flyers looks OK but the logo on the building and sign looks thrown together and cheap. They literally took letters and put a circle around them. Why not use the same wooden barrel look that they used on social media? If I were simply driving by with no knowledge of the concept, I wouldn't think twice about stopping.

Pete
04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Some photos from their Facebook page:

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10169242_222390671302099_1927871493_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10154339_222390684635431_641336904_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10169370_222390737968759_1526051356_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10153031_222390867968746_1558016225_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1503822_222390964635403_1759996651_n.jpg

Urbanized
04-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Oh man, love that interior. Definitely warm and inviting. I never cared much for the interior at Nova. A little too much on the $30,000 millionaire end of the spectrum for me.

onthestrip
04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Oh man, love that interior. Definitely warm and inviting. I never cared much for the interior at Nova. A little too much on the $30,000 millionaire end of the spectrum for me.

Agree. And the new interior looks way less douchey than Nova

PhiAlpha
04-04-2014, 09:15 AM

If I remember correctly, nova just seemed kind if plain...agree, this looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKCretro
04-04-2014, 09:20 AM
they need more TV's

bradh
04-04-2014, 09:48 AM
No.

different strokes for different folks, but i prefer more than a bite or two of food

BDP
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
different strokes for different folks, but i prefer more than a bite or two of food

If you go to tapas and only get a bite or two of food, you're doing it wrong or your friends are very competitive eaters.

This place could be good, but it sounds redundant.

bradh
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
redundant to what?

Pete
04-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Per their Facebook page, they are officially open starting today.

Richard at Remax
09-15-2014, 08:04 AM
went here on Friday night and although somewhat impressed with food, and even more less than impressed with service. I have been pretty consistent on here with my opinions on service being that it takes a hell of a lot to get me irritated.

we had reservations at 815, didn't see waitress til 830, got our drinks at 850, then ordered at 905 (after telling waitress we were ready when we got our drinks but she disappeared again) then finally got our food around 945. Our appetizer came out with our meal because they forgot to make it. My steak was overcooked, but didn't want to order another because I was well done by then. The mac and cheese was legit, and people seemed to enjoy their meals. Ended up getting meal comped (I didn't ask for it to be but the main guy in our group left to go speak with manager so I don't know what was said) but I left some $$ anyway.

Probably won't be back to eat, but possibly drink. It makes me sad Nova got replaced with this.

bchris02
09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
I like the Barrel pretty well. It's more of a place I would go for a few drinks and maybe an appetizer but not really a place I would go for dinner. I hope they do well.

Urbanized
09-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Honestly, that type of service has become the new standard in this town. Thankfully there are exceptions, but I prepare to be disappointed most of the time when I go out, unless it is to a place that I KNOW delivers great service. The industry has just been spread way, way too thin by all of the new concepts.

I'm hopeful that we reach some sort of tipping point where we start to attract service professionals from other markets (they way places like Dallas and Vegas have done to OKC for years), but moving to OKC for a service job is a tough sell, even for those who understand the level of opportunity.

Richard at Remax
09-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Our good friends had a couple in town from CO and it seemed like every place we went to had some kind of questionable service, but like I said it takes a lot to rile me up, so the barrel experience was what I wrote about.

Sadly enough, the food at all the places was terrific (even my overcooked steak), just service that was sub par. I explained to the out of towners about the service industry being spread too thin and they understood. Probably take a year or two for everything to get back up to par.

Pete
09-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Honestly, that type of service has become the new standard in this town. Thankfully there are exceptions, but I prepare to be disappointed most of the time when I go out, unless it is to a place that I KNOW delivers great service. The industry has just been spread way, way too thin by all of the new concepts.

I'm hopeful that we reach some sort of tipping point where we start to attract service professionals from other markets (they way places like Dallas and Vegas have done to OKC for years), but moving to OKC for a service job is a tough sell, even for those who understand the level of opportunity.

We all saw this coming from miles away and it's going to get worse before it gets better, as we have about 30 more restaurants and bars in the pipeline.

A compounding factor is the strong local economy where not as many people are going into the service industry or taking a second job.

Growing pains! I suspect we'll have a decent thinning of the restaurant herd in the near future.

Urbanized
09-15-2014, 08:32 AM
The chef/kitchen talent base is obviously more elastic. Just spitballing here, but some of the server shortage issues could also be generational. Working as a server at a full-service restaurant doesn't mesh well with the stereotypical Millennial sensibilities; yet they are the target demo for that part of the workforce. Too much dues-paying in the service industry, and too many people telling you what to do.

Pete
09-15-2014, 08:42 AM
The rapid growth in hotels and retail has also got to be diluting the service job pool as well.

And then you have the explosion -- with lots more on the way -- of light industrial and distribution jobs, where most are paying pretty well and providing full benefits. And of course, the oil field jobs as well.

If the job market wasn't so strong in Texas, I think we would have already seen a much bigger emigration into OKC. There are absolutely tons of jobs at a very reasonable cost of living at a time where other parts of the country are still struggling (like here in California).

okclee
09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Becoming the new standard is right, hopefully this changes.

In the last few months on out of town trips (Denver & Kansas City) I met two people that are moving to Okc for restaurant management jobs.

dankrutka
09-15-2014, 01:50 PM
I had a similar experience at Barrel a couple weeks ago when a group of us were in for Sunday brunch. It took an hour to get our food after ordering and the food was average at best. Our server was actually very energetic and upbeat and she brought us some free chips to tide us over. The interior is really done well also. I wasn't that irritated because I was enjoying the conversation, but our group was just kind of dumbfounded in how long it took. The manager stopped by and told us that's now they do things so I hope they get it together (if this is indeed a consistent problem... Obviously, people tend to post their frustrating experiences more so than those that meet their expectations).