View Full Version : Walmart

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

TheTravellers
02-16-2017, 02:55 PM
That's a round the clock occurrence at my Walmart. I spend more time having to navigate around Walmart employees than other shoppers. And they don't even try to move out the way or say excuse me, sir.

And at Crest (in Edmond) - stockers with their huge pallets in every 2-3 aisles, during the day, way too much hassle and that's one of the reasons I hated going there (Uptown doesn't stock much during the day, which is one of the reasons we shop there).

Pete
02-20-2017, 11:34 AM
This is the Taco Bell that is going in adjacent:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tacobell022017.jpg

SoonerDave
02-20-2017, 11:50 AM
This is the Taco Bell that is going in adjacent:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tacobell022017.jpg

That Taco Bell went operational a little shy of a month ago. Went there last night, actually :) :)

I'm still looking for the Whataburger et al :)

Is it just me or does it seem a bunch of posts in this thread disappeared?

Nugyar
02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Saw in another thread that Buffalo Wild Wings purchased land on this corner as well. Can't wait to see what other stores go in over the next year or so! I'm loving it!

Pete
05-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Building permit application today for Buffalo Wild Wings which will be to the north of Walmart.

catcherinthewry
05-11-2017, 07:01 PM
This development is 0 for 3 so far in my book.

Zuplar
05-12-2017, 08:39 AM
This development is 0 for 3 so far in my book.

I feel ya, but if you thought there was going to be anything other than the same stuff in other locations, your expectations might have been too high.

SoonerDave
05-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Building permit application today for Buffalo Wild Wings which will be to the north of Walmart.

Pete, what's the address for that BWW? I went to the permit portal and searched along I-44 and didn't find it....but that's where the Taco Bell et al stuff went in..??

Pete
05-12-2017, 11:54 AM
9600 s i-44 service rd, oklahoma city ok 73159

SoonerDave
05-12-2017, 11:59 AM
9600 s i-44 service rd, oklahoma city ok 73159

AHA "service road" killed me. Everything on that stretch has been "HWY" up to now (on that portal). Thanks

catcherinthewry
05-12-2017, 09:05 PM
I feel ya, but if you thought there was going to be anything other than the same stuff in other locations, your expectations might have been too high.

Unfortunately, I didn't have high expectations and they've been met so far.:mad:

OKCTY
05-31-2017, 07:44 PM

Martin
05-31-2017, 08:52 PM
wait... a whataburger? i'm so down with that... easily my favorite fast food burger place.

SoonerDave
06-01-2017, 05:50 AM
wait... a whataburger? i'm so down with that... easily my favorite fast food burger place.

My son is goofy for Whataburger. This will make him very happy :) :)

Zuplar
06-01-2017, 07:01 AM
I'm still hoping for stuff we don't already have somewhat close. Like a Jimmy John's or Cheddars, or Chikfila.

Jeepnokc
06-01-2017, 07:15 AM
I'm still hoping for stuff we don't already have somewhat close. Like a Jimmy John's or Cheddars, or Chikfila.

Hopefully not a chick-fil-a. I look at my daughters credit card now and it is literally nothing but chick-fil-a. Not sure I can afford a closer one.:cool: Would be nice to get a higher end casual local eatery with a bar. Pub W is killing it at 104/May. A pizza delivery place would be great also as no one delivers out to us at 104/MacArthur.

Zuplar
06-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Hopefully not a chick-fil-a. I look at my daughters credit card now and it is literally nothing but chick-fil-a. Not sure I can afford a closer one.:cool: Would be nice to get a higher end casual local eatery with a bar. Pub W is killing it at 104/May. A pizza delivery place would be great also as no one delivers out to us at 104/MacArthur.

We used to have that problem down here at council, but have finally convinced every pizza place in Mustang to deliver this way, so that's been nice when you want something easy. I'd imagine since Dominos is on the East side of Mustang you can get them to deliver. Surely you got to be close to their boundaries I've seen them deliver to Rio de Bella before. They were the only place that was already delivering in our area previously.

Jeepnokc
06-01-2017, 08:13 AM
We used to have that problem down here at council, but have finally convinced every pizza place in Mustang to deliver this way, so that's been nice when you want something easy. I'd imagine since Dominos is on the East side of Mustang you can get them to deliver. Surely you got to be close to their boundaries I've seen them deliver to Rio de Bella before. They were the only place that was already delivering in our area previously.

Thanks. The Domino's website showed no delivery to us but I haven't tried calling them. Worth a call to see. I said no place but there is a little place called Apizza will deliver for a $4 fee but pizzas are small brickoven gourmet pizzas and not ideal or economical for feeding bunch of hungry teenagers. It is good pizza though. That are at SW104th and Penn

Zuplar
06-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks. The Domino's website showed no delivery to us but I haven't tried calling them. Worth a call to see. I said no place but there is a little place called Apizza will deliver for a $4 fee but pizzas are small brickoven gourmet pizzas and not ideal or economical for feeding bunch of hungry teenagers. It is good pizza though. That are at SW104th and Penn

Yeah we can't order online for any of them, but if you call they all said sure. Probably a little tougher since you are 2 miles further East, but still Dominos isn't that far from you and I bet if pushed them they'd deliver, especially if you tip the delivery guy good from the start.

SoonerDave
06-03-2017, 08:07 AM
That map above shows two parcels "under contract." Anyone here with some good, juicy rumors on what's coming?

SoonerDave
06-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Any notion that the growth around the WalMart could, at least in part, be slowing down the enthusiasm for developing along the new Portland route? That project/development seems to have completely stalled, and the street has apparently become essentially a big drag strip.

ChrisHayes
06-03-2017, 05:32 PM
When was development supposedly going to start along Portland? I would classify the desired development along Portland to be on a different level than around the Walmart.

Pete
06-06-2017, 03:21 PM
More on the pick-up facility at Council and NW Expressway.

It's actually an automated kiosk, where you buy on-line, employees pick all the products and take them out to the kiosk, then the customer can pick it up 24/7 through an automated interface on the kiosk.

Don't really see the advantage to traditional pickup for the customer but will be interested to see what people have to say about it, as it's part of a test for the new approach.

http://newsok.com/walmart-introduces-automated-grocery-pickup-kiosk-at-oklahoma-city-store/article/5551667

Zuplar
06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Walmart continues to push their new strategy, which has really been working out for them. I know there is a lot of haters on here, but it's pretty interesting to see how a traditional big box has continued to be relevant and experience growth in this environment.

Pete
06-06-2017, 03:50 PM
They do a great job with technology and always seem to be trying new things, I give them credit for all that.

riflesforwatie
06-06-2017, 06:23 PM
There was a sign on the door at the 23rd and Penn store that their hours are being scaled back as of May 31 (or June 1, can't remember). I think it said the store now closes at 11 pm.

Pete
06-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I asked a young mom friend about her experience using the new kiosk for pickup...

She said she liked it was 24 hours and you didn't have to reserve a time slot, like with the other traditional pickup locations.

Asked about not having the stuff brought to the car and she said there was someone to help her but no sure if that will be permanent or for all hours. I'm thinking they want to reduce employees as much as possible and keep costs low.

I know for mom's with infants, they love not having to get out of their car with the old system.

Will be interesting to see if this gets a further roll-out. They try lots of things that they decide against (like the pay-by-phone thing they now do at Sam's but not their other stores).

mugofbeer
08-30-2017, 05:45 PM
There have been a lot of corporate contributions to the east Texas flooding, but the Houston mayor just mentioned Wal Mart has committed $20 million to the effort. Thats pretty big time

Pete
11-02-2017, 12:32 PM
The Neighborhood Market at 23rd & N. Penn is getting a significant remodel.

$660K building permit filed today, which does not include fixtures and equipment.

tfvc.org
11-02-2017, 02:50 PM
And at Crest (in Edmond) - stockers with their huge pallets in every 2-3 aisles, during the day, way too much hassle and that's one of the reasons I hated going there (Uptown doesn't stock much during the day, which is one of the reasons we shop there).

I have never had any issues with the Crests at S104th and Norman. The stockers have always been nice and friendly and moved out of my way/helped me. I am not sure about the other crests but the stockers take Monday into Tuesdays off so if you want a pretty hassle free experience that is the day to go.

FighttheGoodFight
11-02-2017, 02:52 PM
I have never had any issues with the Crests at S104th and Norman. The stockers have always been nice and friendly and moved out of my way/helped me. I am not sure about the other crests but the stockers take Monday into Tuesdays off so if you want a pretty hassle free experience that is the day to go.

Ya no issue in Norman. I usually go Saturday or Sunday. The only issue is the high amount of people in motorized carts trying to turn around in aisles. Dodging them is an art.

TheTravellers
11-02-2017, 03:40 PM
We live near 36th/May now, so we don't do Crest (there's one on 23rd/Meridian, but it's a nightmare, did it once) anymore. We do Uptown on Britton/May for general shopping, Sprouts on 63rd/May for produce/deli meat, and Eley's on 30th/May to fill in if we're in desperate need. May try Winco on 39th after they've been open for 6 months to let the newness wear off, and maybe the new Aldi in Mayfair, but we're not really fans of Aldi. And we don't give money to Walmart unless there is absolutely no other option available at all, ever (we've gone to a WM or WMNM about 4 times since we moved back in 2009, and pretty much not once in the decade or so before that).

Pete
11-03-2017, 05:59 AM
^

I also don't like Walmart but I shop at the Sam's at 39th & May more than anywhere else.

So incredible convenient and easy to get in and out of that place.

jn1780
11-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Is the NW Expressway online pickup completely automated? Or is it a kiosk that sends a message to an employee in the back that places items on a conveyor belt? Kind of like the old Service Merchandise days.

Pete
11-08-2017, 08:45 AM
New design for NM at 23rd & Penn:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/walmart23rd2.jpg

billokc
11-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Walmart's reason for scaling back their hours began at the Stupercenter (yes, Stupercenter) at 240/Santa Fe in August 2015. Late at night there were customers being attacked/robbed in the parking lot. The store also experienced a LOT of shoplifting. OCPD or OK County Sheriff Dept started stationing themselves at that store. All it did was slow down the crime, but didn't stop it completely. So Walmart higher-ups decided to close at midnight, open at 6am. The plan was to watch the results at that store, and if things worked out, implement the hours of operation at other locations.

d-usa
11-11-2017, 04:40 PM
If I remember right, this would be right around the time where there were multiple stories about Walmart’s loss-prevention strategy. Which consisted of “don’t have one, just let the local police handle it and subsidize our cost of doing business”. Walmart was the largest location for 911 calls by a wide margin, even compared to other stores.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

SoonerDave
11-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Was noticing that development around this Walmart has slowed. The Whataburger has never materialized and only the BWW is underway. No bldg permits on tap for the area. Anyone know what might be holding things up?

Zuplar
11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
I feel like something else was going in by the CU, or at least I saw some dirt work. I felt like I had heard a Chickfila was going in, but that might have completely been a rumor.

SoonerDave
11-22-2017, 01:21 PM
I feel like something else was going in by the CU, or at least I saw some dirt work. I felt like I had heard a Chickfila was going in, but that might have completely been a rumor.

I think that's a Chicken Express. Its about the only other thing in this area that's materialized from the earliest plans once the WM was announced.

Zuplar
11-22-2017, 02:12 PM
I think that's a Chicken Express. Its about the only other thing in this area that's materialized from the earliest plans once the WM was announced.

Ah that's a bummer. I'm sure at some point there will be more development, just seems to be slow going.

Pete
01-11-2018, 11:15 AM
They are raising their minimum wage to $11 / per hour and expanding employee benefits.

At the same time, they closed a bunch of Sam's Clubs -- none in OK:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Pete
01-16-2018, 05:57 AM
The new Buffalo Wild Wings is hiring, so they must be very close to opening.

SoonerDave
01-16-2018, 12:06 PM
The new Buffalo Wild Wings is hiring, so they must be very close to opening.

They've had their "Now Hiring" banner up for a week or more - really closer to two. They'll be winging it up anytime. Wooohoo!

Sure hoping something else along that area will start popping soon. Can't help but think it's a little behind the curve - the info on the Whataburger was posted a long time ago but there's not a whiff of activity in that direction since...

SOONER8693
01-16-2018, 01:10 PM
They've had their "Now Hiring" banner up for a week or more - really closer to two. They'll be winging it up anytime. Wooohoo!

Sure hoping something else along that area will start popping soon. Can't help but think it's a little behind the curve - the info on the Whataburger was posted a long time ago but there's not a whiff of activity in that direction since...
My youngest daughters boyfriend applied for a part time job there while in school. When he interviewed they told him a new Lowe's would be starting near there soon.

BLJR
01-16-2018, 03:01 PM
My youngest daughters boyfriend applied for a part time job there while in school. When he interviewed they told him a new Lowe's would be starting near there soon.

Seems somewhat close to the Lowe's on I-240 based on the spread of their other locations, but it would draw a decent crowd, and would close for the Newcastle area.

SoonerDave
01-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Seems somewhat close to the Lowe's on I-240 based on the spread of their other locations, but it would draw a decent crowd, and would close for the Newcastle area.

Given that the conventional wisdom was that the new WalMart was supposed to replace the Santa Fe/240 location, it would not surprise me one bit if the 240 Lowes were to be similarly replaced.

Anonymous.
02-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Is it just me or is Walmart stepping up their quality game in terms of service?

I have noticed a stark increase in young, enthusiastic employees. I am not talking about teenagers fumbling around on cash registers, I am talking about low to mid 20-somethings with professional manners. An abundance of these employees wearing yellow vests with something like "How can I help you?" and stuff that were just directing people to open lanes, and helping customers in the 'scan & go' areas. This is across multiple locations and regions. Between the renovations to the inside of the stores and the workforce seemingly being overhauled - color me impressed.

I think the "uncoolness" of working @ Walmart is eroding.

bchris02
02-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Is it just me or is Walmart stepping up their quality game in terms of service?

I have noticed a stark increase in young, enthusiastic employees. I am not talking about teenagers fumbling around on cash registers, I am talking about low to mid 20-somethings with professional manners. An abundance of these employees wearing yellow vests with something like "How can I help you?" and stuff that were just directing people to open lanes, and helping customers in the 'scan & go' areas. This is across multiple locations and regions. Between the renovations to the inside of the stores and the workforce seemingly being overhauled - color me impressed.

I think the "uncoolness" of working @ Walmart is eroding.

They seem to be getting quite a bit better than they used to be. I would always hate shopping at Wal-Mart (didn't matter if it was a neighborhood market or a Supercenter) because there was typically long lines and only a few people working the cash registers. That seems to have been getting better lately.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2018, 12:55 PM
There is dirt being moved south of Taco Bell. Has anyone heard what it is going to be? I'm hoping it's going to be a Chicken Express or a Whataburger like has been rumored.

Martin
04-05-2018, 01:15 PM
i also noticed that on my way to work earlier this week but forgot to post about it... not sure about what businesses are going in but it looked to me like multiple lots south of taco bell had ground work being done.

Martin
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
well son of a gun... there are several permits for an 'okie express auto wash' dated 3/14/2018 at "10400 S I-44 HWY"... not exactly what i was hoping for.

catcherinthewry
04-05-2018, 01:33 PM
well son of a gun... there are several permits for an 'okie express auto wash' dated 3/14/2018 at "10400 S I-44 HWY"... not exactly what i was hoping for.

That's disappointing. How many new car washes do we need on the south side?

Zuplar
04-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Yeah I meant to comment earlier, that they were coming in this area. I saw that permit a few weeks ago.

What we need is a Chickfila.

SoonerDave
05-18-2018, 04:40 PM
I can't find any new building permits for the area, but there is a boatload of heavy earthmoving equipment parked on the lot just north of Buffalo Wild Wings on the I-44 service road. Fresh survey stakes appear to be in place on the parcel just south of BWW. Something's up.

Zuplar
05-18-2018, 11:14 PM
I can't find any new building permits for the area, but there is a boatload of heavy earthmoving equipment parked on the lot just north of Buffalo Wild Wings on the I-44 service road. Fresh survey stakes appear to be in place on the parcel just south of BWW. Something's up.

Hopefully something good.

SoonerDave
05-23-2018, 05:19 AM
Hopefully something good.

Welp...I think I was fooled. The earth movers were busy at work at 89th and Portland, so I have to assume it's related to the Amazon facility prep. The survey stakes by the BWW still give me (some) hope.

Pete
05-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Welp...I think I was fooled. The earth movers were busy at work at 89th and Portland, so I have to assume it's related to the Amazon facility prep. The survey stakes by the BWW still give me (some) hope.

Yes, there is related sewer work than improvements to 89th as part of the city's deal with Amazon.

Zuplar
05-23-2018, 07:32 AM
Maybe Amazon going in will spur another round of development. I just hope it isn't strip centers and fast food.

SoonerDave
05-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Maybe Amazon going in will spur another round of development. I just hope it isn't strip centers and fast food.

Given the prospect of several hundred folks churning out for lunch every day, I can't really imagine it being anything but fast food....maybe a nicer restaurant will emerge. Who knows.